Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Slyphic posted:

Trying something wildly different than my usual style here. I wanted a retro space opera-y look, bright and alien, avoiding my usual mundane drab and grimy palette. It's really matte which is throwing off photos but I think it works. Street markings on the base aren't quite the scale I was aiming for I think, but maybe they are?

It's adorable! :D Maybe some blacklining around the silver dome to separate it a bit more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Muir posted:

Finished my Hearthkyn Salvager Kill Team, which was also the test run for my full Leagues of Votann army paint scheme. I'm very happy with how they turned out, and I feel like I hit a new personal best for clean edge highlights.

These rule, great job!

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

+1 Skeletor for Halloween.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Took a break from painting robots to paint up some Void Seekers for the Nemesis board game.

The Void Seekers themselves are psychic nightmare manifestations, the real alien is/are the three plates of spaghetti w/ meatball.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
Cross-posting from the Malifaux thread.

Hinamatsu and Widow Weaver. Painting elaborate gowns and dresses is a hoot!

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Finally finished my Alberto the cat competition entry. I present to you, Alberto, Lord of Hell.

Had a ton of fun with this project. The spooky water is actually a neat effect that I shamelessly ripped off of Sam Lenz. Essentially, you paint the skulls, highlight them and then go over them with a thin layer of red-tinted modge podge, and repeat the process several times. The result is an almost 3d type effect that's really cool in person.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Radiation Cow posted:

Finally finished my Alberto the cat competition entry. I present to you, Alberto, Lord of Hell.

Had a ton of fun with this project. The spooky water is actually a neat effect that I shamelessly ripped off of Sam Lenz. Essentially, you paint the skulls, highlight them and then go over them with a thin layer of red-tinted modge podge, and repeat the process several times. The result is an almost 3d type effect that's really cool in person.

Super cool. Are the skulls just painted onto the base freehand, or are there little 3d skulls in there that the mod-podge fills the gaps between?

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

They're freehand. Check out the video here, it's a surprisingly simple technique (and at the end, he shows a breakdown of how to get the skull shape right):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Tp9YiEWKlI

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Finished a Deathwatch Terminator from the Steel Confessors over the past week while I've been down with COVID:

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

^^^Awesome work, where's the SC shoulder from?^^^

Xposting from the 40k thread.

Axetrain posted:

I just moved so I haven't had much time to paint but now that I'm settled in it's back to it. Here's my Hive Tyrant.

I think I might do the Deathleaper in a different scheme than the rest of my army and try something darker and stealthier looking.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Axetrain posted:

^^^Awesome work, where's the SC shoulder from?^^^

Thanks! I got it from a custom 3D print bits store on Etsy called Hunting Heresy.

Your Hive Tyrant looks vibrant as heeeellll :swoon:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Hey guys, what's youre experience been with Army Painter Speedpaint 2.0 are they good? do they re-activate like the old ones did? I'm thinking of buying the big box a couple months from now to save myself time and get through minis faster, what I like from what I'm seeing is the very bright and saturated colors I'm seeing from them,

this is the box I'm looking at, but I might go for the cheaper one instead

https://www.amazon.com/Army-Painter...mcx_mr_hp_atf_m

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Oct 25, 2023

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

Finished a Deathwatch Terminator from the Steel Confessors over the past week while I've been down with COVID:

as usual you are the absolute best at this! Sooo jealous!

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

Hey guys, what's youre experience been with Army Painter Speedpaint 2.0 are they good? do they re-activate like the old ones did? I'm thinking of buying the big box a couple months from now to save myself time and get through minis faster, what I like from what I'm seeing is the very bright and saturated colors I'm seeing from them,

this is the box I'm looking at, but I might go for the cheaper one instead

https://www.amazon.com/Army-Painter...mcx_mr_hp_atf_m

They do not reactivate like the old ones did.

I'm a big fan of them but I'm a "tabletop standard" type

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

AndyElusive posted:

Are those the old arms on the new kit?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Thirsty Dog posted:

What does that mean?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Al-Saqr posted:

What does that mean?

Good enough to put on the tabletop and play with, especially when viewed from actual playing distance, but not higher quality than that.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Al-Saqr posted:

What does that mean?

Tabletop quality = just good enough to play games with

Versus "display" quality or "parade" quality or whatever other term you want to ascribe to high level paint jobs.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Al-Saqr posted:

What does that mean?

Literally just three colors on the board

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

What does that mean?

Sweet, painted minis! Just don't look too closely at them.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Do Speedpaints help or hurt the process of making minis that look more than just 'tabletop ready'?

because the idea is that I want to use the speed paints to get a good initial coats on everything then use normal paints and washes and drybrushing to make it go from 'ok' to 'great'.

or is it just better to get normal paints and thin them down to get the desired coats instead?

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

Do Speedpaints help or hurt the process of making minis that look more than just 'tabletop ready'?

because the idea is that I want to use the speed paints to get a good initial coats on everything then use normal paints and washes and drybrushing to make it go from 'ok' to 'great'.

or is it just better to get normal paints and thin them down to get the desired coats instead?

They help massively for people of my standard. I can't speak to really good painters - I think the idea is they just shortcut a lot of the effect you get from phase two there (normal paints + washes). There's a lot of good reviews of ArmyPainter 2.0 paints on YouTube from painters of varying skill level; from memory you're pretty good so I'm not sure whether it'd be exactly what you're looking for.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

as usual you are the absolute best at this! Sooo jealous!

I appreciate that but let's not go crazy here, there's a lot of much more talented goons in this thread and your glowy mouthed Screamer Killer looks dope.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Are those the old arms on the new kit?

You know it. They're a pair of Deathwing lightening claws on one of the Leviathan Terminators.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

Speed-style paints are very useful for higher quality stuff in a lot of ways. I use them all the time as a kind of readymade glaze for instance.

You can also use them as a basecoat that you then highlight over, but that really depends on the surface and the color.

Just pick a couple up and see if you like them. Don't spend 200$+ on a big dumb box when you don't even know if you like how they work.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

AndyElusive posted:

I appreciate that but let's not go crazy here, there's a lot of much more talented goons in this thread and your glowy mouthed Screamer Killer looks dope.

You know it. They're a pair of Deathwing lightening claws on one of the Leviathan Terminators.

I wondered how they looked, thanks for trying it out. I could tell because they're just a tiny bit too short and it's only noticeable if you really look for it

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I incorporate contrast paints into my workflow which can be before or after other acrylic paints for different parts of the model. Speedpaints 2.0 would be able to be used in the same way. It's really just a painter's preference, which could even change from one model to another depending on your end objective. For example some people might speedpaint ONLY for entire squads but for character models can go more in depth.

I agree with don't buy the entire big box until you have used a handful and decided you really want to go all in.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Ok i will get the 50 dollar 'essentials' that has a few bottles then decide after if i want to expand beyond that thanks for advice 👍

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Does the essentials box have the 2.0 speedpaints or the originals?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Arcturas posted:

Does the essentials box have the 2.0 speedpaints or the originals?

Could be either. All of the 2.0 boxes say so prominently, so if it doesn't, it's the originals.

The Army Painter boxed sets are usually less than a 10% savings compared to buying the bottles a la carte. I would not bother getting any of them except maybe the starter, because if you don't use a couple of the colors ever, you've wasted all of your savings.

This is also generally true of Vallejo collections, both big and small, as well as co-branded sets like Battletech, D&D, or Zombicide. Citadel paint sets are generally a >10% savings but that's mainly because Citadel is so expensive in the first place.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 25, 2023

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Speedpaints also really good on metallics, at least v1 were.

They're pretty glossy, so I take a nice metallic like Vallejo metallic air silver, and can get a nice shaded gold or other crazy armor color slappi g it on top

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I do like Grim Black from AP Speedpaint 2.0 as a go-to grime paint. It's great for soot or motor oil, and has a matte grittiness that you don't get with enamel washes.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Genericised Azrael

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
pirate battle mech:

some more 10mm peasants (this time with battle doggos):

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Nebalebadingdong posted:

some more 10mm peasants (this time with battle doggos):

Who's a good boy?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Thirsty Dog posted:

They do not reactivate like the old ones did.

Same. I have the smaller 2.0 megaset and I've been happy with it.
I usually do some extra highlights/shades on top of the speedpaint, but you can skip that if you're just doing bulk units.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

Ok i will get the 50 dollar 'essentials' that has a few bottles then decide after if i want to expand beyond that thanks for advice 👍

Make sure whichever you buy specifies "2.0". The Starter and Megasets of the originals are still being sold at deep discount and you don't want them.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I tried my first power weapon today. I tried a gradient so subtle, my camera won't pick it up!

Also I dunno how people manage to do all these hairline highlights, but this is a goos start imo

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I use a very sharp brush, a steady hand, and patience to try again if I gently caress it up.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
poo poo I've none of those!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I also have a hard time with highlights and even straight lines, my hands shake sometimes