Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

You know, even though you can make it so it's always day, I enjoyed seeing my city go through day/night cycles as I add new areas.

Now? It's just pitch loving black everywhere. They even got rid of the cursor having its own light source. Bastards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Is your screen brightness really low or something? Night is not dark at all for me.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

turn off the TV posted:

i think the game also tells you to zone more commercial than you need

I highly suspect that industrial demand is broken as well. I came across something on discord where a player was investigating the "not enough customer" bug and found that specialized industry generating raw materials spikes industrial demand since you have excess raw goods to process so your industry bar could be max'd out even if there are no workers.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Concurred posted:

You know, even though you can make it so it's always day, I enjoyed seeing my city go through day/night cycles as I add new areas.

Now? It's just pitch loving black everywhere. They even got rid of the cursor having its own light source. Bastards.

Here's a picture of The 5000 Page Thread's official mascot, Jeff. This was taken at night, I also had no problem with building, in fact I kind of enjoyed the white tiles on dark ground contrast

sunrise and sunset can get real weird though, i ended up turning off day/night cycle until they tweak overall performance

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Does everyone build meticulous highly planned cities or is anyone like me where you just build chaotic ancient European clusterfucks with winding roads everywhere with building choice made purely reactively based on the current need for zoning/services?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

Does everyone build meticulous highly planned cities or is anyone like me where you just build chaotic ancient European clusterfucks with winding roads everywhere with building choice made purely reactively based on the current need for zoning/services?

poorly planned grids like my midwestern bones yearn for

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

same as archduke, Jeff (the city) is just grids. It's an easy way for me to learn the systems and how to interact with them. Gonna make some fancy suburbs as I expand tho

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010

bagmonkey posted:

Here's a picture of The 5000 Page Thread's official mascot, Jeff. This was taken at night, I also had no problem with building, in fact I kind of enjoyed the white tiles on dark ground contrast

sunrise and sunset can get real weird though, i ended up turning off day/night cycle until they tweak overall performance

I also had to turn off day/night cycles as everything was just black at night. No moonlight or whatever the light source in that picture is. It obviously has to do with a graphic setting but who knows which one it is.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

How do you know if a road is part of a district for purposes of a heavy traffic ban? Do you just carefully make sure roads you don't want included aren't part of the border? Does a road not fully within a border not count?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Currently this, with an Oceanside area set aside to actually plan something workable out once I finally unlock high density residential. I just unlocked mixed (comm on the first floor and resi above it) so it might take a little bit

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I would play CS1 with unlimited money, buy all the tiles, pause the game, lay out all my roads, public tranport, utilities, etc. Only after the entire map was full of that, I would zone and then unpause. These are closer to zen gardens than games to me.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

RoyalScion posted:

Yeah I think Chirper is either bugged or lags super far behind the simulation; they kept complaining about power/water/sewage even though those services were far under-utilized; my guess was that they were backed up from the very beginning of the game when you're still plopping stuff down.

My personal experience is that Chirpr (and the radio interviews) are fluff for a warning indicator rather than any attempt at hinting to you what to prioritize; I've got exactly five (5) houses sitting in the smoke plume from industrial and it never shuts up about smog, likewise about no water when I was sitting at 100KL production, 100,254L demand.

bagmonkey posted:

That looks fine to me and is far, FAR brighter than what I get, so it's not a monitor issue.

I have everything turned to minimum/off, so it wouldn't amaze me if I'm just missing any dynamic/ambient light/reflections and even moonlight is one of those.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

For now, it's just plop some grids, buildings, and randomly zone. I've already built like 5 cities up to ~10k ish in each just to see what's it like. Eventually I'll build something with way more forethought and planning into it but for now it's just chaos.
It's still all so new that I don't know where anything will really end up.

I think in CS1 the main city I had (250k ish pop) you could clearly tell my starting clusterfuck and as I built up and out I got way more detailed and specific on what i wanted.

Also, I'll watch and follow along with 'lets build' videos too (CPP and Overcharge Egg I already saw had ones). I won't 100% copy but it gives me some good starting points and ideas to incorporate into things as I progress.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Is there a trick to getting busses to work? Mine always seem to be empty

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I would play CS1 with unlimited money, buy all the tiles, pause the game, lay out all my roads, public tranport, utilities, etc. Only after the entire map was full of that, I would zone and then unpause. These are closer to zen gardens than games to me.

Yeah I want saved game files that have all the roads laid out for me.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

err posted:

Yeah I want saved game files that have all the roads laid out for me.

those are just workshop maps; i prefer to place my own roads but once the paradox mods thing comes out i'm sure we'll have loads of maps with pre-made road structures to use. can't wait

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If you don't want to lay things out have you looked into transit games like Cities in Motion, Transport Tycoon, Transport Fever? They might be more of the type of game you're looking for.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

This game wants me to worry about air pollution? This game wants me to worry about wind direction? This game wants me to build my residential zones upwind of industrial zones?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Don't think it's supposed to look like that. :thunk:

Fortunately it only glitches when you zoom in too close.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Love everything about this, the blocked walkway, the pole directly in the crosswalk.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Turning off natural disaster, will that turn off traffic accidents as well?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I gotta get out of modbrain and stop trying to make things perfect. Without Move It it just can't be done. Close enough is good enough.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Mixture. Plan out a larger infrastructure and district framework with a highly planed city center, then fill in the rest more organically based on whim and interesting assets.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I still want more city sims that are harder on the sim side, with fail(ed) states. I want my SimShitty god drat it

Stop rewarding me for existing!

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Concurred posted:

This game wants me to worry about air pollution? This game wants me to worry about wind direction? This game wants me to build my residential zones upwind of industrial zones?

Like real life id take those requests more as suggestions!

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

For the love of god just let me copter around my city, drive an ambulance or police car to calls, walk around, etc. Cmon!

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
why did they make the zoomed in LOD so intense when the game looks awful at any elevation

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Really sad this has had a rocky launch. I know it'll get patched but I wanted to play today.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Not sure if it's been posted before, but CPP has a video out yesterday called the Ultimate Beginners Guide for CS2. I almost didn't watch it because I felt it would be to basic, and at an hour length I didn't want to get bored out of my mind learning about RCI.

Anyways I'm glad I decided to click, he explains a shitton of UI tips/tricks to simplify placing roads/pipes and all that poo poo. I was a bit blown away, and will probably need to watch it a second time to make sure I picked up all the fundamentals. This really is a new game, not just CS1 with new graphics, and I think a bunch of us need to unlearn some old habits that is making adjusting harder than it has to be.

Watching him painlessly connect wires and water pipes, slope roads, and rotate ploppables to fit odd geometry had me going :aaa: more times than I can count.

Just watch the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoZz06Etwm4

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Do specialized industry no longer get upgrades?
I got an ore area at level 5 but there isn't anything else to do?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
So my last unlock supposedly got some pollution control policies, but when I create a zone with a bunch of industrials in it, I don't seem to see them as an option... What am I missing (and where are my global policies?)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Digital Jedi posted:

Do specialized industry no longer get upgrades?
I got an ore area at level 5 but there isn't anything else to do?

They're very bare bones.

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!

OddObserver posted:

So my last unlock supposedly got some pollution control policies, but when I create a zone with a bunch of industrials in it, I don't seem to see them as an option... What am I missing (and where are my global policies?)

They’re kind of hidden. Click the icon next to the RCI bars and there’s a Policies tab.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Grand Fromage posted:

They're very bare bones.

Coming in the next DLC....

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Hope your suspension's good.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Grand Fromage posted:

Hope your suspension's good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgSXldDcLdY

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Remember to protect your waterways:

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer

Issaries posted:

Remember to protect your waterways:

Yeah, I imagine this gets patched out, but it is lol for now. I saw a youtube video of a guy later leveling the terrain of the poop pit to disappear it as well.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

What's wrong with providing a free municipal swimming pool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

How to induce demand for medium and high density residential?
I'm currently at 10k population and only getting low density demand and running out of room to build.
I've build some med and high density earlie, but that was hour ago and there' s no more demand.