Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
So as hilarious as the speaker fight was, did we end up with an even more insane Republican as speaker? Honest question. I don't know how they compare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

yes

the house fascist caucus took their scalp and the 'moderates' all blinked

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I mean, he didn't put up much of a fight to get it the first time round, so I'm assuming he's less insane on that front. Good chance he's more of a psychopath though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Travic posted:

So as hilarious as the speaker fight was, did we end up with an even more insane Republican as speaker? Honest question. I don't know how they compare.

This one is sane enough to generally only act insane on the downlow and not in front of news cameras. Whether that is worse or better is an exercise in personal preference.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Travic posted:

Yes. At worst McCarthy was a california moderate that would capitulate endlessly to Maga but when push came to shove would cave and do things like, deal with Biden or keep the government open. Johnson appears to be a more MAGAesque true believer. Openly supports abortion ban, wants to keep pushing Biden impeachment, voted to shut down government.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
So we shot ourselves in the foot. Again? I mean voting for McCarthy would have been lovely, but drat.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Travic posted:

So we shot ourselves in the foot. Again? I mean voting for McCarthy would have been lovely, but drat.

IDK who we is but yeah, the republican majority consolidated and put a worse republican in the speakers seats. They rallied because they believed he'd do what McCarthy wouldn't. From my perspective that is indeed bad. But they had the votes so.

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

FizFashizzle posted:

This is D&D so I'm not going to get into any salacious rumors or things I can't back up with evidence, but if you read this article...

https://www.the-sun.com/news/us-news/2321058/marjorie-taylor-greene-alleged-affairs/

This is a pro click right here. MTG had an affair with Zangief!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Travic posted:

I mean, those were all things that McCarthy was behind either way.

I think the only "new" things on there are the debt commission and entitlement commission.

Which... don't really matter at all.

He also says he is going to send border security bills to the Senate over and over. McCarthy supported those bills, but I don't think he had committed to sending them over and over. Either way, that also doesn't really matter.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
Loving the bit on all those everyday Americans with multi-million dollar tax returns that are the focus of the IRS and their expanded resources.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

MegaZeroX posted:

I want to reemphasize is that this can gently caress with dem chances in NH. People like to think of it as safe blue since NH hasn't sent a republican to either the house or senate since 2016 and hasn't voted for a republican president since 2000, but New Hampshirites regularly split tickets, and we've had a local republican trifecta since 2020. National republicans being cray-cray is the main reason that dems win the seats for federal elections, but loving with the primary system could push NH the other way.

I don't mean this personally against you, but cry more because I can't get enough New Hampshire tears over this stupid thing that has been in the works for over a decade.

I was hoping it would have been Nevada and am a bit suspect of SC because the state seems to have a machine going where a single endorsement can decide the winner, but the funniest part is NH shouting about their law even though for years an years party operatives have made it clear that they're aware of that and moving forward anyway.

Enjoy irrelevancy. Again, not directed personally at you, but the people who thought something as simple as passing a state law could hold away over the rest of the nation.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Travic posted:

Meh, it's not like any person they put in the job is going to do anything differently than McCarthy productivity-wise. All Republicans are consistently lovely to Dems. The real variance is how much they hate each other in their own party.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
It's been pretty clear for a while that the "moderates" are fine with fascism as long as it's not someone who's utterly insufferable to work with (Jordan).

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Craptacular! posted:

I don't mean this personally against you, but cry more because I can't get enough New Hampshire tears over this stupid thing that has been in the works for over a decade.

I was hoping it would have been Nevada and am a bit suspect of SC because the state seems to have a machine going where a single endorsement can decide the winner, but the funniest part is NH shouting about their law even though for years an years party operatives have made it clear that they're aware of that and moving forward anyway.

Enjoy irrelevancy. Again, not directed personally at you, but the people who thought something as simple as passing a state law could hold away over the rest of the nation.

I haven't even lived in NH for 6 years.

The point is that its the dems shooting themselves in the foot by loving with a purple state. If dems did something pissing of California or Illinois, who cares, they'll be blue regardless, maybe dems lose a couple of representatives in purple districts, but that can be recovered from. If they piss of Alabama or West Virginia, who cares, that is deep red anyways. Pissing off a purple state is idiocy if it costs two senate seats and in the EC. Dems may be fine for 2024, but if NH doesn't get first primaries in 2028, it'll be bad.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

MegaZeroX posted:

I haven't even lived in NH for 6 years.

The point is that its the dems shooting themselves in the foot by loving with a purple state. If dems did something pissing of California or Illinois, who cares, they'll be blue regardless, maybe dems lose a couple of representatives in purple districts, but that can be recovered from. If they piss of Alabama or West Virginia, who cares, that is deep red anyways. Pissing off a purple state is idiocy if it costs two senate seats and in the EC. Dems may be fine for 2024, but if NH doesn't get first primaries in 2028, it'll be bad.

If not getting to vote first in the primary is the ONE THING that pushes a voter over the edge I truly don't care how they vote. Taking the big picture view this behavior isn't any different than the batshit crazy Trumpists on the other side. Either give the vocal minority what they want or suffer.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Travic posted:

No. The seats most likely to flip are not held by MAGA die-hards. Being able to tie Lori Chavez-DeRemer to Mike Johnson is more important since you're more likely to flip that seat than Dan Crenshaw's.

OTOH, making a deal with Republicans to put Emer in the chair would deflate voters. Moderates have decided they would rather let ultraMAGA have the wheel than bargain with Jeffries. Interesting choice since many live in districts that Biden won.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 25, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
USCE 2023: Big Johnson House Speakers

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Until and unless the Republican party breaks up, the only options right now are Democrats and Fascists. I write this as someone who switched parties after Charlottesville (though I never voted for Trump, thank God). If someone wants to die on the hill of primaries, what they're basically saying is, "I'd rather fascists win than to lose any influence in my political party." It's petty and, worse, foolish. Democrats of all persuasions will need to make real compromises inside the party--which means that no one will be happy with everything--so long as the Republican party remains as it is. It sucks, but there it is.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Retro42 posted:

If not getting to vote first in the primary is the ONE THING that pushes a voter over the edge I truly don't care how they vote. Taking the big picture view this behavior isn't any different than the batshit crazy Trumpists on the other side. Either give the vocal minority what they want or suffer.

NH regularly votes to split tickets and a majority have voted for a republican governor since 2016, so yeah, it very well may be enough to push NH over. When both parties primary, NH has very high turnout, and New Hampsherites are used to getting presidential candidates to do small town meetings. The 2016 primaries for example had like 80% turnout of the adult population. The first primary gets talked and bragged about in elementary school, basically in the same breath where you learn about Abraham Lincoln and George Washington. Its a source of state pride. I don't think people that don't live in NH get how big of deal it is. 2024 is fortunate since there aren't any primaries worth caring about, but I do worry about 2028.

The best way to reform it would have been to work with NH to change the law to allow it share a first primary for a while (arguing "hey, its just a replacement for the Iowa caucus really), and slowly degrade it over time. I strongly suspect this bandaid ripping is going to cost the dems some important seats. Like, dems are usually very careful with risky seats, so my guess is that the decision makers never bothered to check with any New Hampshirite what the effects of that would be.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Travic posted:

Not in any way, are you kidding? Voting in anybody the Republicans offer was going to lead to nothing for the Democrats. They let Republicans look dumb for several weeks and then elect a psycho that will only help them in future elections. He won't get any more or less done then McCarthy would have been able to get done.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

What I'm hearing is that the House is now going to accomplish just as little as it would under McCarthy, but with a lot more performative votes on abortion and other topics the GOP in swing states super desperately do not want to have on their records, is that right?

Do you have any polling on this topic? Have you had people coming up to you and saying "man those fuckin' democrats, I'm gonna not vote if they don't let us go first"? Is this based on anything but "6 years ago this seemed like a big deal"?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I believe I speak for the nation - nay, the world - when I say "Who in the blue gently caress is Mike Johnson?"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The only major poll shows NH being first is very popular in NH, but not necessarilly going to change any votes.

NH Republicans support it much more than NH Dems. Very few people oppose it, but a good chunk of people just don't care either way.

quote:

It identified 60 percent support for the state law requiring that New Hampshire hold its primary at least seven days before any similar contest in another state.

Thirty percent of those polled were neutral on the law, while 10 percent opposed it.

But the poll found significant partisan differences: 78 percent of Republicans back New Hampshire voting first, as do 72 percent of independent voters. But less than half of Democrats – 43 percent – support the law.

quote:

Biden isn’t expected to even put his name on the ballot here if New Hampshire follows state law and votes first.

But despite that impasse, UNH polling shows Biden holds a strong lead over Democratic challengers Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and Marianne Williamson, and that most voters who plan to vote in the Democratic primary would be willing to write-in Biden’s name.

The polling also found partisan differences in the confidence voters have that their primary ballot will be counted accurately.

Democrats almost unanimously — 97 percent — say they are confident. Among Republicans polled, that number falls to 65 percent.

There are also partisan differences over voter interest in the primary: 91 percent of Republicans consider themselves very interested in voting. That number is lower among Democrats. The poll found 74 percent considered themselves very interested.

But compared to prior elections, interest in the primary remains strong across the parties.

In 2012, the last time an incumbent Democratic president was seeking a second term and a large field was vying for the Republican nomination, UNH polling found less enthusiasm among voters.

That year, 82 percent of Republicans called themselves very interested. Among Democrats who were then getting ready to renominate Barack Obama, that number fell to 69 percent.

https://www.nhpr.org/politics/2023-07-20/unh-poll-finds-support-for-new-hampshire-primary-and-vote-counting

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Ms Adequate posted:

I believe I speak for the nation - nay, the world - when I say "Who in the blue gently caress is Mike Johnson?"

I think the question to this jeopardy answer would be “a version of Mike Pence that somehow made it out of the uncanny valley”.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

ElegantFugue posted:

Do you have any polling on this topic? Have you had people coming up to you and saying "man those fuckin' democrats, I'm gonna not vote if they don't let us go first"? Is this based on anything but "6 years ago this seemed like a big deal"?

I don't know any polling about this, all I can say is anecdotally the first primary is a really big deal in NH, people are pissed about it, and NH has a strong local culture about not voting straight party tickets. I also don't have data that burning a bible in Georgia would hurt dems in Georgia, but I'm guessing that would be the case.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
clarence thomas did not pay much of a $267,000 loan from friend, raising tax and ethics concerns

quote:

A Senate Finance Committee investigation found that a loan Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas received from a friend to buy a $267,230 RV went largely unpaid—prompting more questions about whether the justice properly reported the loan forgiveness in his tax filings.

The Senate committee found that Thomas made some interest payments on the loan from businessman Anthony Welters that was given in 1999, but didn’t repay “a substantial portion of the loan” that was used to purchase a luxury RV.

Thomas did not report the $267,230 in debt forgiven on his ethics forms, according to the investigation, which raised the question of whether he reported it on his tax returns and paid taxes owed, which the committee is still seeking to answer.

The Senate investigation was spurred by a New York Times report in August that revealed Thomas bought the RV with money from Welters, even though he reportedly told friends he had saved up to be able to afford the vehicle.

Welters told the Times the loan was “satisfied” in 2008, but no information about the terms of the loan or how the debt was satisfied were provided, according to the Senate report.

A November note from 2008 from Welters reviewed by the committee indicated that Welters “would no longer seek further payments” from Thomas because he “believed that Thomas had paid interest greater than the purchase price of the bus.”

Because Thomas potentially had $267,000 forgiven and he failed to repay the principal of the loan, the Senate committee said it would have created “a significant amount of taxable income” that may not have been reported on tax forms as it wasn’t reported on his 2008 Financial Disclosure Report; the Internal Revenue Service considers debt forgiveness as income.

“Regular Americans don’t get wealthy friends to forgive huge amounts of debt so they can buy a second home,” Senate Finance Committee Chair Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) said in a press release Wednesday.

what kind of monstrous loving rv cost more than a quarter mil? is it pulled by a team of a two dozen thoroughbred horses?

also i hope at some point a house republican pushing biden's $200k loan to his brother as evidence of corruption is forced to comment on the ethics of receiving gifts and not reporting the income

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ElegantFugue posted:

What I'm hearing is that the House is now going to accomplish just as little as it would under McCarthy, but with a lot more performative votes on abortion and other topics the GOP in swing states super desperately do not want to have on their records, is that right?

They're gonna get to the bottom of this Hunter Biden thing

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

clarence thomas did not pay much of a $267,000 loan from friend, raising tax and ethics concerns

what kind of monstrous loving rv cost more than a quarter mil? is it pulled by a team of a two dozen thoroughbred horses?

also i hope at some point a house republican pushing biden's $200k loan to his brother as evidence of corruption is forced to comment on the ethics of receiving gifts and not reporting the income

Uh...RVs get above $250k pretty quickly. This is American Coach's price/build site. Note that the RVs built into Sprinter and Transit vans are all above $200k, and the full size RVs start ~$750k. They're priced through the roof due to a multiyear backlog largely kicked off by COVID, though that bubble appears to have popped.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

You can easily clear a million on a luxury Class A RV (the bus looking ones), A nice class C (built on a pickup / van chassis can hit $250k no problem

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

That RV was 267k when he bought it in 1999. It retails for $599k now.

Thanks Bidenomics.

quote:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

While looking up what Clarence Thomas' RV retails for today, I also learned that the 2022 model of his RV fully loaded with all amenities retails for $2.6 million.

You could buy a mansion in 98% of the U.S. and a sports car for less than that.

Bonkers.

https://prevost-stuff.com/2022PrevostMarathonH_Marathon1343081321.html

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Yeah, the state of Boston Suburb is going to remain purple, it's not going red.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

While looking up what Clarence Thomas' RV retails for today, I also learned that the 2022 model of his RV fully loaded with all amenities retails for $2.6 million.

Bonkers.

$2.6M and it doesn't even have a toy box? For shame.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Republican moderates fall in line and have no spine exhibit #289:

quote:

“Whatever happened back in 2020, Joe Biden is the President right now,” Rep. Anthony D’Esposito (R-NY) told us on the House steps. “So whether he disagreed with the results of the election or not, Joe Biden is the President and that’s clear.”

“Ed Koch, the late New York City mayor, said something along the lines of ‘if you agree with me nine out of 12 times, support me; if you support me 12 out of 12 times, seek a psychiatrist,'” Rep. Marc Molinaro (R-NY) told us minutes later. “I don’t think there’s any expectation that we were going to achieve perfection or absolute agreement.”

quote:

Rep. Jen Kiggans (R-VA) added that they all “come from different places, have different backgrounds,” when I asked her if she was worried about being on the record supporting someone who tried to overturn the 2020 election and is virulently anti-abortion.

Kiggans is one of the most vulnerable House members, having won a squeaker in 2022.

quote:

"On abortion, look, I am against the Democrat plan of abortion up until birth for any reason. I think he shares that and will defend that view. I don't think many Americans support the extreme Democrat view on abortion. Is abortion going to be banned at the federal level because he is Speaker? No. Even if he wanted to, Joe Biden is President. It's fearmongering."

quote:

“Should we consider addressing the motion to vacate? Of course we should, in that we can’t have a House or speaker held hostage in that way,” Molinaro said when I posed the same question to him. “But I say give the man a little bit of room — we saw a lot of earnestness, a lot of decency, a lot of humility that we don’t often see in this place or in this city, and I think that’s going to buy him a lot of not only goodwill, but cooperation.”

quote:

"I have a personal view on marriage, but I am not in favor of re-litigating gay marriage right now and nobody thinks that is happening. His view comes to him sincerely from his faith and I don't think he is hateful or going to re-litigate those issues right now. Those claims are false and I wouldn't back someone who would try to interfere with New York's laws or state's rights."

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/live-blog/republicans-johnson-speaker?entry=1472680

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Bonkers.

Is Thomas currently the wealthiest Supreme Court Justice? Just nakedly corrupt.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Hey, let he who wouldn't throw the nation under the bus for an RV cast the first stone.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Nonsense posted:

Is Thomas currently the wealthiest Supreme Court Justice? Just nakedly corrupt.

Supreme Court justices don't have the same financial disclosure requirements that other federal officials do, so it is hard to say for sure how much they are worth. According to their 2021 financial statements:

- John Roberts has a net worth of ~$29 million and is the wealthiest Supreme Court Justice.

Roberts owns multiple houses that aren't his primary residence in Maine, Ireland, and Maryland and holds about $4 million in stock.

- Brett Kavanaugh, Sonia Sotomayor, and Elena Kagen are the only justices that aren't technically multimillionaires.

However, all three of them have houses worth over $1 million, so if you include their primary residences, then all of them are technically multimillionaires.

- Clarence Thomas is the 4th "poorest" Justice with a net worth of about $2 million. Although, we know he has had a lot of unofficial income from his "friend" Harlen Crowe over the years that wasn't reported.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Ms Adequate posted:

Dems have been hitting the ground running on defining Mike Johnson. If they/we are successful, that will really help in the legislative battles to come and in 2024.

Also, "Look at all the crazy poo poo this guy said" is a way easier sell than what we had with McCarthy, which was basically "he's a smarmy liar who sold his soul to extremists like Matt Gaetz".

Supreme Court justices don't have the same financial disclosure requirements that other federal officials do, so it is hard to say for sure how much they are worth. According to their 2021 financial statements:

- John Roberts has a net worth of ~$29 million and is the wealthiest Supreme Court Justice.

Roberts owns multiple houses that aren't his primary residence in Maine, Ireland, and Maryland and holds about $4 million in stock.

- Brett Kavanaugh, Sonia Sotomayor, and Elena Kagen are the only justices that aren't technically multimillionaires.

However, all three of them have houses worth over $1 million, so if you include their primary residences, then all of them are technically multimillionaires.

- Clarence Thomas is the 4th "poorest" Justice with a net worth of about $2 million. Although, we know he has had a lot of unofficial income from his "friend" Harlen Crowe over the years that wasn't reported.

Yeah, the reality is that even before you get into sketchy stuff, anyone who gets on the Supreme Court is an Ivy-educated lawyer with a long career who spent at least some time on the federal bench making $200K+/year. And as someone with an Ivy League law degree you're probably marrying someone at least relatively upper-class.

Jackson Taus fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 26, 2023

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

I'm sorry, it might be my reading comprehension but did you just admit to loving MTG? That's full on hilarious. I don't think I could stay in the zone if she slipped out any of her political opinions, but I think everyone can agree she used to have a very different life a few years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Travic posted:

The narrow margin of the majority means that almost no Speaker is going to effectively produce bills any different than another Speaker. The X-Factor then is how big a loving mess they'll be when it comes to optics/perception/news cycles.

As much of a worthless piles of poo poo and piss that Kevin McCarthy is, he was going to at least try and keep the crazy dialed down to 9. Also Kevin having been in the leadeship for a while didn't have any "Who is Kevin McCarthy" pieces being written/filmed about him. Johnson on the other hand has promised that crazy will not fall below 11, and everyone is scrambling to find all the dirt they can for their explosive "Who is Speaker Mike Johnson? The answer will surprise you!" pieces.

We dumped a lying idiot who wasn't the focus of the news for a lying idiot who will be the focus of the news. Any bills passed will be negligibly different, and the next year of the House will be all about showcasing the insanity of the Republicans far more than otherwise. Of all the poo poo options for Speaker, this is no worse and possibly, strategically, better for the Democrats and the nation. May the cruel god who allows this poo poo to happen have mercy upon our souls.