Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
His spooky ghost pals are 9 allies of your choice from any class, 0-2. No beat cop I guess or similar self damaging to do a thing ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

thebardyspoon posted:

His spooky ghost pals are 9 allies of your choice from any class, 0-2. No beat cop I guess or similar self damaging to do a thing ones?

I think they can work, they just do damage to you instead. Could also build around a bunch of discardable allies (beat cop 0, etc) to avoid triggering the Bad Times from 4+.

Edit: does moving involve placing, rules-wise? Or could the devil goat as a spirit just hold an infinite amount of damage?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

Thanks, I missed that. Wow, that is strong. You can really pump his stats up with that. Like for instance you can just take all the 0-2 +Int allies (Alice, Alyssa, Field Agent, Dr Milan, Guiding Spirit, Jeremiah, Treasure Hunter, Whitton) and just play him like a Seeker. You'll almost never have less than 4 Int and you can just use a Lantern to find clues.

It does say that any health/sanity damage done to these ghosts goes to Jim instead so I think you could still trigger self-damaging effects, it would just go to Jim instead. But Jims trumpet heals him so he can just use them potentially infinitely. Field Agent is potentially a free clue per turn.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Oct 14, 2023

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
The advanced trumpet is much stronger but is that worth having a weakness that's quite likely to blast you for 5 damage and 5 horror all at once? That's a tall order to soak.

Parallel-Front-Jim doesn't seem very appealing to me. What is so good that you need to put more charges on it? Most spells, you'd rather just be Akachi and have 5 base brainpower. The curse-spells (armageddon etc.) don't need this ability to get charges back, either.

Parallel-Back-Jim is where the good stuff is, probably. Gotta theorycraft a bit on what his 9 ghost friends should be. And you gotta prepare to deal with that extra bonus weakness; maybe have Stray Cats in the main deck. Hmm, it says it may be evaded "as if it were engaged with you"; that means String of Curses works, right? You can also put Patrice's best friend Miss Doyle in your ghost deck, but good luck getting it at the right time together with the weakness AND not getting stuck with Augur. And I definitely wouldn't play Parallel-Back-Jim with the Advanced trumpet/rhapsody - you already need to be prepared to soak extra to deal with the flipping of The Beyond. Still, even with all the drawbacks, the raw power of having free allies sounds good to me.

*Meat Loaf voice* One out of three ain't bad. :confuoot:

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
I think the new trumpet is worth the price of admission. The trumpet in games with high player counts will combo really well with Soul Sanctification. Because alternate back Jim has access to survivor, he can grab Pete for horror damage repair (not that I think he will need it with the new trumpet), so you just need to be able to tank the damage, which you can do with Deny Existence or some big health sinks. Jim already has good health/horror stats, so while it's a massive hit, I don't think it's that bad for him. Alternatively, build in some card draw defence to deal with the weakness.

It might make you think twice about taking trauma for xp cards though, because an early draw of his weakness plus traumas could put Jim on the edge of death right at the start of a scenario.

I think Jim's parallel front is a set up from his previous front, so even if it's not as powerful as Akachi, I still think I'd roll with it if I wanted to play with Jim again.

I don't really see the risk in playing Parallel back Jim with his advanced signature cards. Only the autofail token is going to unavoidably damage you, and even then, you get to choose between health and horror. Normally it will just be causing the spirits to cycle out of play, with some tokens giving you the option of taking damage to keep them in for longer. Hell, throw a couple of Medical Students into the spirit deck and maybe the spirit deck will be generating healing faster than it drains it.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
How would you spec Charlie Kane for primary fighter? I’m trying to work something out using Guardian and Rogue right now, eventually passing .45 Thompson off to Trigger Man, but I’m concerned about scalability due to lacking access to high level weapons.

Edit: Maybe a .45 with Custom Modifications would scale a little better? But then you’re depending on two cards to get online instead of just 1.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
You can always go the super Daniela route. Auto hit events with soak, plus the good version of guard dog, Beat cop and eventually agency back up. If you don’t want the feds, you can play a ton of sled dogs, two per Ally slot. Rod of animism and become the mayor from paw patrol.
Smart move on trigger man. For versatility, he can also hold your lockpicks.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 15, 2023

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

You can always go the super Daniela route. Auto hit events with soak, plus the good version of guard dog, Beat cop and eventually agency back up. If you don’t want the feds, you can play a ton of sled dogs, two per Ally slot. Rod of animism and become the mayor from paw patrol.
Smart move on trigger man. For versatility, he can also hold your lockpicks.

Guardian/Survivor is certainly appealing, given survivor’s outsized low level value. I have been trying to work off of the theme of being the crooked mayor with a bunch of goons. This is for a Carcosa campaign opposite a clue-focused Norman Withers (though I may discuss opting for dual flex instead, as I see more of what Charlie has going on.) That’s why there are a handful of defensively oriented cards here, to counter the low wit issue. I will probably end up ditching Leo as I don’t think this Charlie has quite enough gas to exploit the extra action each turn. I’m concerned about weaponry, both the lack of it and the lack of weapon find. Maybe it’s just an untenable approach. (Obviously, I’m also way over the card limit right now.)

Edit: looks like my millions of events got cut off but there’s also Motivational Speech, Stand Together, and Narrow Escape.

Flex would allow some interesting use of cards like Evidence, Breach the Door, Scene of the Crime, and exploiting Greta more. Maybe Guardian/Survivor with eventual build into Agency Backup is the way to go.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 16, 2023

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Summoned Hound is really good for Cluever Charlie and I suspect it would still be decent in Fighter Charlie. Even just doing 1 damage per round without having to invest anything is useful for him, considering how many odd-health enemies there are.

----------------

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Alright, I feel like I’m getting somewhere now. Here’s Charlie’s Angels, focused on comboing testless clues and damage through card effects. I think this deck probably needs an economy card or two, and I have some concern about its encounter deck protection, but I’m hoping that the soak and all the wild icons can overcome that.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

It's too bad Trigger Man doesn't free up any slots for you. I haven't played with it but it feels like it's waiting for a very specific combo card to appear at some future point before it becomes playable.

fake edit: huh, maybe Damning Testimony is that card? Also found this on the MB Discord:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Trigger Man is a funny card for sure. It works better for a flex character, as part of the potential benefit is testing at 4, but it also lets you get a firearm into play for free (or rather, for the cost of trigger man.) But asking for a flex deck to bring a viable firearm and trigger man is a steep investment and a lot of deck space.

Maybe there is a use case for it with a dedicated fighter, though, as it is just a free attack each turn until his gun’s dry.

There are also some weird off-center uses for him, like lockpicks and burglary, the latter of which can turn Trigger Man into a money engine.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

DontMockMySmock posted:

The advanced trumpet is much stronger but is that worth having a weakness that's quite likely to blast you for 5 damage and 5 horror all at once? That's a tall order to soak.

Actually, I think we both misread the card. It’s a non-bless, non-elder sign symbol token. So all the bad symbols. So it might hit you for two or three damage and horror, but unlikely to be near the full five.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Ubik_Lives posted:

Actually, I think we both misread the card. It’s a non-bless, non-elder sign symbol token. So all the bad symbols. So it might hit you for two or three damage and horror, but unlikely to be near the full five.

Oh jeez, you're right I missed that word. That's way less bad than I thought. Still very dangerous in some campaigns, and I would rate it as still pretty unplayable if your group uses curses a lot. After doing the math, I don't think my general conclusion changes much.

A standard bag, e.g. Dunwich, has 17 tokens, including 6 non-elder-sign symbols (two skulls, cultist, tablet, squid, tentacle). Here's the odds:
  • 0 damage: (11 choose 5) / (17 choose 5) = 7.47%
  • 1 damage: (6 choose 1)*(11 choose 4) / (17 choose 5) = 32.00%
  • 2 damage: (6 choose 2)*(11 choose 3) / (17 choose 5) = 40.00%
  • 3 damage: (6 choose 3)*(11 choose 2) / (17 choose 5) = 17.78%
  • 4 damage: (6 choose 4)*(11 choose 1) / (17 choose 5) = 2.67%
  • 5 damage: (6 choose 5) / (17 choose 5) = 0.10%
I would want to be prepared to take at least 3 damage and 3 horror at all times. That's a pretty tall ask, but doable. Even then, you might get blasted for 4, which is a loving lot.

The situation gets much worse if there are just a couple more symbols. Let's say you've just played Faustian Bargain, and there are now two curses added to that bag. Or, maybe you've got two frost tokens in EotE, or maybe you're in Innsmouth where you just get that many cultists/tablets/squids.
  • 0 damage: (11 choose 5) / (19 choose 5) = 3.97%
  • 1 damage: (8 choose 1)*(11 choose 4) / (19 choose 5) = 22.70%
  • 2 damage: (8 choose 2)*(11 choose 3) / (19 choose 5) = 39.73%
  • 3 damage: (8 choose 3)*(11 choose 2) / (19 choose 5) = 26.49%
  • 4 damage: (8 choose 4)*(11 choose 1) / (19 choose 5) = 6.62%
  • 5 damage: (8 choose 5) / (19 choose 5) = 0.48%
Pretty significantly worse. It's getting to the point where I'd want to be prepared to soak at least 4, or I would be desperately wanting to add bless tokens (which normally suck rear end and aren't worth your time) to dilute the draw. That's getting to the point where your deckbuilding (and the deckbuilding of your friends, who can't rely on curse token cards) is going to be severely warped just for the privilege of playing this improved trumpet.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Apparently the "for each" in Jim's advanced weakness works different, according to general consensus on the Mythos Busters Discord. You can play Deny Existence to block all of either the damage or horror, but not both.

Five Eyes
Oct 26, 2017
I also misread the advanced Final Rhapsody at first, so it's a comfort to know I was not alone. I still don't think I'd risk the advanced signatures if I was running the || front and planning to flood the bag with curse tokens.

(Deny ruling should just have been a taboo to specify non-weakness, as the "it works differently if there's a choice" is a headache and creates inconsistencies where sometimes 3 horror isn't the same as 3 horror).

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Maybe Deny should have had a max prevention of 3 of any one effect instead of the choice nonsense. Much clearer, prevents the heavy attacks from bosses and treacheries like now, and lets those nasty weaknesses still pack a punch. Deny 5 should still be free to prevent and refund everything, obviously.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
Or have it work on non-weakness cards if you want the weaknesses to still pack some bite.

It is a very awkward solution to the problem.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I've updated the OP to get rid of some old and out of date information, and I left Carcosa as the recommendation for new players. I also put something into the long-reserved second post: the two timing charts from the rules plus some clarifications/examples. I'm thinking it might be good to put some other common rules bits in there too for new and/or returning players (I always forget the exact timing windows whenever I return to the game myself).

Let me know if you want to see anything else in the OP or the second post.

It seems like preview season is finally going to get underway this week, starting on the 27th (there are a few dates listed on the MB Discord).

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
Have the recommended starting decks changed with the core set re-release? I remember those giving a very bad impression of the game to our group when we started. People just not being able to draw what they need because half your deck is your off-class. We were going to give up the game after playing the NotZ, but decided to give Dunwich a go only because we bought it at the same time.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The default deck lists were designed mostly so that investigators could build decks with the packs they came in. People built structure series, create a good decks from them, but that was never the intent. They’re terrible to make you want to build your own decks, and buy more packs to do it.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
Yeah, so I feel like there should probably be a warning about that. Saying they are functional might result in people seeing the fault of the deck as a fault of the game. Just letting people know that the recommended decks aren’t good, and they should feel free to experiment with redesigning decks without paying the minimum 1xp during NotZ might be helpful.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

Ubik_Lives posted:

Yeah, so I feel like there should probably be a warning about that. Saying they are functional might result in people seeing the fault of the deck as a fault of the game. Just letting people know that the recommended decks aren’t good, and they should feel free to experiment with redesigning decks without paying the minimum 1xp during NotZ might be helpful.
Yeah I think that's a sensible idea.

FWIW I historically hate deck building. I've always liked the idea but found the actual task to be like torture (tried a few card games like Magic and Netrunner).
I was gonna just use decks off ArkhamDB for this but the game baited me hard into doing it myself and I actually really enjoy it.

The Arkham cards app plus the reasonable card pool and the fact you filter down the set just by your characters deck building restrictions really scratch the right itch for me. It's like a puzzle.

What I mean by that rant is, the poo poo starter decks and by extension the slightly less poo poo deck I played immediately after got me to actually try deck building.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

kaffo posted:

Yeah I think that's a sensible idea.

FWIW I historically hate deck building. I've always liked the idea but found the actual task to be like torture (tried a few card games like Magic and Netrunner).
I was gonna just use decks off ArkhamDB for this but the game baited me hard into doing it myself and I actually really enjoy it.

The Arkham cards app plus the reasonable card pool and the fact you filter down the set just by your characters deck building restrictions really scratch the right itch for me. It's like a puzzle.

What I mean by that rant is, the poo poo starter decks and by extension the slightly less poo poo deck I played immediately after got me to actually try deck building.

Yeah, the brilliant app really makes deck building much easier.

As for starter decks, the various single-color investigator starter packs are all generally solid and playable with no modifications or additions. And they’re all good enhancements to one’s collection as well, there’s little redundancy with the game’s main sets.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Hello friends, I have been digital games only for decades since I sold the childhood magic collection, but I've got a couple good friends who ware way into physical games and have been slowly infecting my brain with the cool kickstarter stuff that keeps rolling in. So after another weekend of hanging out with a bunch of people and having fun I wandered back to the clubhouse, saw this thread again, then a thing happened and now somehow the revised core box is on its way.

I'm going to try to restrain my impulse to buy all the things immediately until I make sure I think this is actually fun, but on the flip side I am definitely neurotic enough to already be thinking about sleeves and organizers and how to keep poo poo straight as all this sprawls out into the fifteen billion different boxes I'm maybe catching up on. So what do the especially psychotic among you use for this thing? Casual poking around has shown me like fifteen different brands/sizes of card sleeve recommended so I'm thinking probably whatever vaguely fits will work and I'm not worried about any of these cards suddenly being worth hundreds of dollars, but I definitely want something and I want it to not feel like poo poo while I'm playing/shuffling.

Also: does the OP advice about investigator starter decks hold/best campaigns hold? They seem to be more available these days so I'm halfway to just buying everything I can find that's part of some sort of sale this month.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I think that post was updated this week?

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020

Irony.or.Death posted:

Also: does the OP advice about investigator starter decks hold/best campaigns hold? They seem to be more available these days so I'm halfway to just buying everything I can find that's part of some sort of sale this month.

Jacqueline Fine and Winnifed Habbamock decks absolutely add plenty a useful cards for their classes. The other three maybe less so, but they are very worthy purchases nevertheless imho.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Irony.or.Death posted:

Hello friends, I have been digital games only for decades since I sold the childhood magic collection, but I've got a couple good friends who ware way into physical games and have been slowly infecting my brain with the cool kickstarter stuff that keeps rolling in. So after another weekend of hanging out with a bunch of people and having fun I wandered back to the clubhouse, saw this thread again, then a thing happened and now somehow the revised core box is on its way.

I'm going to try to restrain my impulse to buy all the things immediately until I make sure I think this is actually fun, but on the flip side I am definitely neurotic enough to already be thinking about sleeves and organizers and how to keep poo poo straight as all this sprawls out into the fifteen billion different boxes I'm maybe catching up on. So what do the especially psychotic among you use for this thing? Casual poking around has shown me like fifteen different brands/sizes of card sleeve recommended so I'm thinking probably whatever vaguely fits will work and I'm not worried about any of these cards suddenly being worth hundreds of dollars, but I definitely want something and I want it to not feel like poo poo while I'm playing/shuffling.

The OP was just updated yesterday, so yes it all holds. IMO, the easiest entry point is to grab a revised core and an investigator starter pack, then play the mini campaign included in the core set to see if you like the game, with the caveat that the last scenario is sort of bad.

Then, if you like it, you can go nuts on whatever campaigns and associated player sets you like, though the recommendations in the OP are solid. The publisher has been re-releasing each set in a format that has a box for the campaign and a box for player cards, which are independently usable of one another. I’d go for these rather than chasing after the old blister pack formats. They have currently released up to Circle Undone in the new format.

If you want to bling out the game and get all the slick organizers and poo poo, check my post history in this thread, I did a big post about all the aftermarket upgrades I play with. For sleeves, I just use normal dragon shield ones idk.

For player cards, I use VaultX 9-pocket binders, organized by color for each class plus white for neutral/multi-classes, one each for level 0 and lvl 1-5 cards. So far this has worked out for me to organize almost every player card released so far.

But yeah, resist the urge to go crazy buying stuff. I have a bunch of fancy components and poo poo because I have been playing this game for six years. Each campaign will take you two months to complete even if you play it every week, and they are quite replayable. There’s a lot of game here!

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 24, 2023

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
Out of interest, has anyone tried the Darkham Horror fan campaign? My group is going to give it shot since most of us have played Darkest Dungeon and we decided to try a fan made campaign since there's a bit of a wait for the next offical campaign.

I'm going to be playing the guardian, Reynauld, and have been tempted to lean into his horror heal ability by loading up on all the investigator weakness cards and taking Soul Sanctification to convert any excess healing into skill boosts. However, given the nature of Darkest Dungeon the video game, I do wonder if this might be a fool's errand, and everyone's horror is going to be constantly wounded.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Nathaniel Cho is worth buying because punching monsters to death is cool as hell

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Darkham horror was great but I didn’t use the custom investigators. Since it apes the dungeonneering of its source material, things like open gate are immensely useful… there at least two levels where the maps are absolutely sprawling.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

RandolphCarter posted:

Nathaniel Cho is worth buying because punching monsters to death is cool as hell

Yeah, I waited a long time on Nathaniel because his cards (mostly) don’t have a lot of crossover with other ‘gators due to being designed with his intrinsic bonuses in mind, but my friend played him and it seemed like an absolute blast to be comboing events together like that.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Over the last year and change my wife and I and some friends of ours have been playing one game of AH nearly every Tuesday evening. We went Zealot > Dunwich > Circle > Forgotten Ages > Carcosa > Edge of the Earth (we're about a third of the way into it). And I've gotta say, I think it's my favorite campaign so far (and just a straight up better, mechanically speaking, 'expedition' than how Forgotten Ages ran). I really like how they're making the most of the cards without feeling tired, the sprawling maps, and the overall theme of it. Not impressed with the characters at all though, the hybrid card pools are fiddly instead of interesting or challenging to build around, and two of them make no sense thematically at all.

This group definitely skews towards story over complexity, and I'm eyeing the remaining sets and pondering maybe going with some Return To boxes after we finish this one. Any of them enhance the story or tell a new one instead of just rearranging things?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Forgotten Age adds a few branches in a couple of scenarios but nothing major. Circle Undone fleshes out the campaign a bit (it adds a path to support the witches, similar to how you can support the lodge, but it’s gated behind a difficult bonus objective in an early scenario.)

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Return to the Circle Undone is the one I’ve seen praised the most for adding stuff and expanding the story, I haven’t played it though so don’t know the details.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Circle was on my short list just because we ended that one early. We didn't play the last (last two?) missions because well...

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

High Tension Wire posted:

Jacqueline Fine and Winnifed Habbamock decks absolutely add plenty a useful cards for their classes. The other three maybe less so, but they are very worthy purchases nevertheless imho.

I honestly can't imagine Survivor without Old Keyring. The Stella deck is pretty great too. It's really only Harvey thats kind of forgettable, probably because Seeker cards are all so good already.

----------------

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
Is anyone playing this online?
We've been playing face to face with physical cards and it's great. But I'm emigrating soon and we want to keep playing, but it looks like online options are very slim pickings these days.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
There's a fully functioning tabletop simulator mod with scripting and all the official campaigns in it as well as a bunch of the fanmade ones also with scripting and stuff. Can import decks from arkhamdb as well. I assume just linking it is probably against the rules but if you google or go on one of the discords they'll point you in the right direction.

I use it when I'm playing solo or with people farther away but playing in person where possible is something I enjoy. It's nice not to have to go through my binders to assemble decks though, that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Wicked Athame was spoiled a while ago but its resource cost and icon were obscured.

Per recent discussions, I'll make another update to the OP to change the wording around the Core starter decks to more clearly indicate that they suck. I'll tidy up a few other bits too.