Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

goblin week posted:

FATAL actual play

Good old FATAL, the game with entirely random character generations and an anal circumference stat, where the best combat strategy is to jam large objects into your opponents nostril or ear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Fil5000 posted:

Good old FATAL, the game with entirely random character generations and an anal circumference stat, where the best combat strategy is to jam large objects into your opponents nostril or ear.

.... What

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I'll always remember the BST.png episode where they spent maybe 20 minutes rolling a FATAL character, and didn't even get out of physical descriptions. They closed the segment going "if we do this again, we can roll skills, which range from basket weaving to urination". It's the only experience I have regarding FATAL, and I would like it to stay that way.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

The more you learn about FATAL the worse you feel, so I wouldn't go digging for more info

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
oh, there's a thread for lovely RPG stuff that links to some reviews of FATAL:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898332&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

SpacePig posted:

I'll always remember the BST.png episode where they spent maybe 20 minutes rolling a FATAL character, and didn't even get out of physical descriptions. They closed the segment going "if we do this again, we can roll skills, which range from basket weaving to urination". It's the only experience I have regarding FATAL, and I would like it to stay that way.

So is the urination skill the ability to not piss yourself or are you literally not able to piss if it's too low

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

grittyreboot posted:

So is the urination skill the ability to not piss yourself or are you literally not able to piss if it's too low

it determines the volume of piss you're able to produce when you piss

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

After thinking on it more I still really liked Steeplechase overall. Though the whole "hard light are sentient and people actually" thing felt unearned. I'd swear I remember Clint pushing that idea a few times early on only for Justin to shoot it down, specifically with the hard light guy in poppy's place. Unless I missed something, It just felt like it became the truth because everyone needs to have Their Thing they figure out and solve in the finale.

A more minor thing that annoyed me was Justin saying in the last few episodes that the soldiers had non-lethal guns. Just feels lazy. Having guns because that's scary!! but you also don't want anyone to die because thats a bummer.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

The guards being park security with non-lethal guns does help better explain why they're so bad that like of them with guns drawn on Beef didn't just shoot him dead after he started attacking them.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I am gonna miss Funny Man

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

If Schlebethany doesn't make an appearance ever again, I will riot

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Schlebethany marries planes walker Clint McElroy in a live show one off

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Sankis posted:

After thinking on it more I still really liked Steeplechase overall. Though the whole "hard light are sentient and people actually" thing felt unearned. I'd swear I remember Clint pushing that idea a few times early on only for Justin to shoot it down, specifically with the hard light guy in poppy's place. Unless I missed something, It just felt like it became the truth because everyone needs to have Their Thing they figure out and solve in the finale.

A more minor thing that annoyed me was Justin saying in the last few episodes that the soldiers had non-lethal guns. Just feels lazy. Having guns because that's scary!! but you also don't want anyone to die because thats a bummer.

I feel like the hard light thing was less a case of "Emmerich needs something" and more a combination of it being hard to stay on the "they're not people" line when Clint kept pushing it and it probably being a little uncomfortable to try to do so. Personally I think it would have been more funnier to go even harder on "they're not people" after Emmerich started giving them more moral value than human lives, but that could have gone bad and I can see why they didn't.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Yeah, that makes sense. He really did want it. I think what bothers me most about it is that it's the most unoriginal take possible on a concept that's been done a billion times.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Soo they just have Kenshall endlessly trapped in a vr machine to monitor him in order or instruct their hardlight puppet of him? That’s really dark, it’d be a brighter ending if they just killed him lol. Also, I really wanted Montrose to actually be his dad, so it turning out to be a ruse annoyed me personally (even if it’s obvious)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Soo they just have Kenshall endlessly trapped in a vr machine to monitor him in order or instruct their hardlight puppet of him? That’s really dark, it’d be a brighter ending if they just killed him lol. Also, I really wanted Montrose to actually be his dad, so it turning out to be a ruse annoyed me personally (even if it’s obvious)

lol thats a Dishonored-style "the non-lethal option is way worse than just killing them" solution

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I thought it was a nice return to, "these guys are criminals, they maybe did something heroic just now, but they're still primarily ne'er-do-wells in it for the thrills and the money".

In general I liked that this was a TAZ campaign where the stakes escalated effectively from the established scale of the action. The rocket thing's a big deal but it isn't a world-ending threat, the primary villains are people with human motivations, and the player characters don't have a special destiny. The beats at the end helped to sell that better for me.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I'll be honest, Griffin absolutely had me in suspense all the way through the last episode whether he was doing a con, or if he really had unilaterally retconned reality. I guess that's what happens when you have a character wear a mask for 42 episodes.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011
I actually forgot that he was wearing a mask.

Imagine he was Kenshall's dad though: "hey dad, why do you have a tusk for a hand?"

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

I liked Steeplechase until it became a travellin' DnD adventure using Blades in the Dark keywords.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
The ending was the only time the crew actually felt like amoral criminals lol, it was good

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
never have I seen three men more determined to not learn probabilities

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Farg posted:

The ending was the only time the crew actually felt like amoral criminals lol, it was good

True. Though actually I think Montrose felt pretty much like a criminal the whole way through, whole Beef and Emmerich felt like pretty good guys the whole time

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

yeah Griffin seems like he really understood the assignment

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
This week in MBMBaM: ghost cummers and chocolate nut mess

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

as someone who has also read Fourth Wing i greatly enjoyed Justin and Felicia joking about it

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Does it count as vore when what you're describing eating is a Ferrero Rocher?

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

True. Though actually I think Montrose felt pretty much like a criminal the whole way through, whole Beef and Emmerich felt like pretty good guys the whole time

I mean, Emmerich is a pretty meek scientist, and Beef wanted out for like half the show. Real "Montrose is a bad influence" vibe, which was certainly interesting.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Captain France posted:

I mean, Emmerich is a pretty meek scientist, and Beef wanted out for like half the show. Real "Montrose is a bad influence" vibe, which was certainly interesting.

I loved that the culmination of Emerich's arc was, "I care about a subset of people now...so that makes me basically their god. I've become a god!". The character growth from "meek" to "usefully consumed with hubris" was very funny.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
This Super McElroy Brothers on Donkey Kong Country is funny enough, but really reminding me about how much less interesting a game DKC is compared to SMW.

Awards in state-sponsored propaganda don't matter, but I still remember DKC winning Nintendo Power's GOTY in 1994 over Final Fantasy VI and Super Metroid lol

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Super McElroy Brothers?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
They do a gaming stream where they share the controller. One person moves, one presses a, one presses b

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

DoctorWhat posted:

Super McElroy Brothers?

They're doing game ogre but with all three of em. One brother controls the left/right movement, one brother controls jumping, one brother controls speed.

It's a mess. They beat Super Mario World in this fashion somehow, they're now attempting Donkey Kong Country.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Of course.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The SMW run was a hoot, I recommend it. But don't bother with this run of DKC if you don't enjoy the SMW run.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

super mcelroy brothers is a lot of fun but you gotta be prepared to skip forward to them beating a level when the failures go from hilarious to tedious

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

C-Euro posted:

This Super McElroy Brothers on Donkey Kong Country is funny enough, but really reminding me about how much less interesting a game DKC is compared to SMW.

Awards in state-sponsored propaganda don't matter, but I still remember DKC winning Nintendo Power's GOTY in 1994 over Final Fantasy VI and Super Metroid lol

DKC2 is great

but definitely those games are more about like, the music and the vibes. especially the first game where they hadn't yet refined all the mechanics

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

DKC has some alright mechanics as a speedgame and the music is excellent, but on modern fixed-pixel displays especially it looks like puke.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I’m too lazy to track down the exact quote but I remember reading about Nintendo’s leadership reacting to DKC’s success and it was something to the effect of “Wow. Even a game as hideous and simple as this can resonate with American audiences”

I would have thought that take was ridiculous as a kid but it just goes to show how ahead of their time Nintendo can be sometimes (even if they don’t always get it right every time)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
DKC looked cool as hell though, at that time there was just nothing that looked anything like it that I can remember. Also the music is fantastic, some of the most memorable on the Super Nintendo and that says something.