Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/TJE5909/status/1717061340714447094

Taijuan Walker unhappy he didn't play in the postseason, and is liking posts that are upset about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/martinonyc/status/1717284676065177816

Here we go

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Trade them everyone

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Well Played Mauer posted:

Trade them everyone

I can't think of anyone I wouldn't include haha.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

mcmagic posted:

I can't think of anyone I wouldn't include haha.

Team is Judge, Cole, Severino - who cares about anyone else.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sab0921 posted:

Team is Judge, Cole, Severino - who cares about anyone else.

lol Severino isn't even under contract with the Yankees.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I don't see anything the Yankees could trade that'd be worth San Diego's while considering that the Padres have a better farm system.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
The padres need veteran leaders who know how to win to get the team going in the right direction. Clearly the man to tip the scales is Anthony Rizzo.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

The padres need veteran leaders who know how to win to get the team going in the right direction. Clearly the man to tip the scales is Anthony Rizzo.

That was the best part of the article. "Maybe the Yankees could add Rizzo and his contract to their mediocre prospects to get Soto." The New York media is hilarious.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

live with fruit posted:

That was the best part of the article. "Maybe the Yankees could add Rizzo and his contract to their mediocre prospects to get Soto." The New York media is hilarious.

Yeah the package needs to start with Volpe and probably King, then some arms close to the majors? That’s about what Boston got for Mookie.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The padres need veteran leaders who know how to win to get the team going in the right direction. Clearly the man to tip the scales is Eric Hosmer.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Yeah the package needs to start with Volpe and probably King, then some arms close to the majors? That’s about what Boston got for Mookie.

"The Red Sox got the Dodgers to take Price with Betts so maybe the Yankees can get the Padres to take Rizzo for Soto."

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

How can the Cubs have Soto and Ohtani if the Yankees get Soto?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Actually King is the one guy I wouldn't want to trade lol

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

live with fruit posted:

"The Red Sox got the Dodgers to take Price with Betts so maybe the Yankees can get the Padres to take Rizzo for Soto."

I didn’t mean to imply my joke was serious?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I am glad that we will have a new manager and hope we hire Espada to be honest

Please also sign multiple relievers and a starter thanks

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

I didn’t mean to imply my joke was serious?

Me neither.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Soto to the Yankees feels more inevitable by FA. Can they put a better trade together than the Padres renting him if they aren’t in the race again next year?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Pierce Johnson will stay with Atlanta for $14.25m/2y plus one club option at $7m.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Actually King is the one guy I wouldn't want to trade lol
then that’s probably what you’d have to give up

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dusty told Bob he's retiring so everyone is treating it as "official" even though the presser isn't until tomorrow.

I think Espada should get the job, I think he's earned it. I'm terrified it's gonna go to Brad Ausmus or Tony LaRussa or Billy Martin

Oh also since he's older than 65, he's HoF eligible in 6 months. I imagine his speech is going to be in the top ten.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Neither you or I have any idea what the trade would look like tbh

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

Keep trying to explain this to folks irl who're arguing the Cubs can trade for guys like Alonso or Soto while still holding onto top prospects. The only guy who's 100% immovable is PCA, maybe Horton but even then I think the Cubs move him if he puts them over the hump to bring back proven all-star talent. Caissie, Trianatos, Alcantara, Brown, Ferris, and Canario are all gonna get asked about in trades and Jed's gotta be wiling to part with some of them if he wants to bring back somebody who's actually going to move the needle for next year in a trade.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

King isn't a prospect. He's a major leaguer for a few years now and he'll probably be the yankees 3rd best starter next year.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Astros are going to hire Brad Ausmus and I'm going to laugh for a week straight

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

King isn't a prospect. He's a major leaguer for a few years now and he'll probably be the yankees 3rd best starter next year.
so was Alex Verdugo when the Dodgers traded him for one year of Mookie Betts. Verdugo had appeared in three MLB seasons by that point.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1717306909835809045

lol all our guys are getting hired away, somebody take Ross please.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

bawfuls posted:

so was Alex Verdugo when the Dodgers traded him for one year of Mookie Betts. Verdugo had appeared in three MLB seasons by that point.

King is legit very good and looked like he was a credible starter by the end of the year. If the Yanks can get Soto without him in the package, Cashman will have pulled off quite a steal.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Pierce Johnson will stay with Atlanta for $14.25m/2y plus one club option at $7m.

He was a pleasant surprise. Brad Hand was thoroughly cooked, but the work Atlanta's coaching staff did to make Johnson actually good was admirable.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
Why would you trade anything of value for Soto when he is a FA in a year? Also, are the Yankees really going to pay Soto $50+ million a year when you already have about $120 million per year for the next eternity going to four guys (two good deals, two bad)? There are no conceivable sets of moves that the Yankees could make without having a $500 million payroll to seriously contend for a world series next year.

Holes by position:
1b - will Rizzo be healthy?
2b - Torres will never be a starter on a championship team due to his subpar defense and multitude of baserunning blunders. This is a hole
3b - No returning starter. Will Peraza hit? Unclear
Utility - will LeMahieu be healthy?
SS - I like Volpe, but he needs to bat over .250. This is another development year for him.
LF - No returning starter. Did not have a starter in 2023. Periera does not look ready
CF - can't count on Dominguez to play this year. I would like to see Florial get a shot but he is still hitting around the mendoza line in the MLB. Cashman doesn't believe in him, so he won't get that chance
DH - nothing to see here other than $25 million and a roster spot in the tank
Right field is spoken for and Catcher looks okay actually. I think Wells has potential to be incredibly legit and Trevino should be a good 1B option for defense. Bury Rortvedt in AAA for depth and/or resign Higgy and get Wells 2-3 days a week at DH

Rotation of Cole, King, Schmidt, and Rodon should be an above average top four. Bullpen is a mess but scrounging for relief pitching is the one thing Cashman is actually good at.

How does trading multiple young pieces for Soto provide enough return to put this group over the top? There are more holes than fabric in this garment. We need exit strategies from Torres and Stanton as quickly as possible followed by some peripheral stopgap moves. Signing Kiermaier to a cheap 2 year deal gives you some depth and a great glove that means you can play florial in left while waiting for Dominguez. I love Volpe at short, but maybe if we can move on from Torres he can swap to 2nd and make room for peraza to free up the hot corner for a bigger bat.

Fundamentally the team has to make more contact at the plate. That is a coaching and approach (front office) problem, not a player problem. None of that would change with a Soto trade. Probably it would get worse.

I do understand that their championship window with Cole and Judge in their primes is past halfway shut, but there are far too many issues to make it work in 2024. We have to start the process of turning over the roster from some of these veteran players past their peak and encourage development from the young guys. If they play better and maintain their health (a whole different :can:), the team could have 82+ wins again just from internal improvement and be a fringe wildcard team.

Roll the dice on that for '24, start the roster reload, and then spend big and go all in for '25. Do not trade for Soto. Do not resign Montas.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I do not understand why Yankee fans insist Gleyber Torres is a bad player.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

They should probably trade him to a place that would appreciate him…like the Chicago Cubs!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Popete posted:

I do not understand why Yankee fans insist Gleyber Torres is a bad player.

Because Yankee fans basically think a flawed player is a bad player. And with Torres he had so much hype and such a strong start that the idea that he might be a good player who isnt a superstar means he’s a failure and trash. And of course they just like having someone to beat up on and when they do it long enough it doesn’t really let up. It might stop while he’s doing well but the second he screws up or slumps it will come right back.

As usually I doubt there’s much to the Soto story. Cashman has probably inquired and the cost is probably too high. Yanks want a big get to calm the tantrums and jump the team forward and there’s not anyone like that in free agency besides you know who. But Cashman’s never forced it before and I doubt he’d do that now. And trading away like your positives from last season, lessening your rotation, giving up your young developing star. All in the hopes that Soto is gonna turn the team around and resign? I don’t see it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Today I stopped by Academy to see what Rangers stuff they still had leftover from the ALCS win. Not much left for men, but some shirts and hoodies still remained for kids and women. Wasn't interested in the clothing though. Bought myself a goofy commemorative baseball. If I buy any clothing I want it to be for something bigger and better, but a baseball commemorating the Battle of Texas 2023 is still pretty damned cool in my opinion. I'd love to get it signed one day.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The last time I went to a Pirates spring game I was hoping the club store had a pillbox hat and they did not have them.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Luigi Thirty posted:

The last time I went to a Pirates spring game I was hoping the club store had a pillbox hat and they did not have them.

I don't much care for the pirates as a team but that hat (and their ballpark) are top notch.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

Sab0921 posted:

Astros should sign Shohei imo.

He's good.

i would legit cry and maybe stop watching baseball

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
They need offense but I don't think the answer is dump everyone for Juan Soto TBH

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yes what the Yankees need is definitely another DH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Nodoze posted:

They need offense but I don't think the answer is dump everyone for Juan Soto TBH

He's going to suck as soon as he joins anyway.