Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Class3KillStorm posted:

RTD: "Okay, David, first episode back will be 'The Star Beast'."
DT: "Okay, okay, ALIEN allusion, I dig it."

It's the name of the comic they're adapting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I like the poster/promo for the third one

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm on Amy's Choice. I don't hate the concept of the Dream Lord, love me some psychic pollen and all that, but I hope they bring it back at some point. The doctor being the doctor's own enemy is a decent hook, and I don't think the Dream Lord has to be stuck only with that one specific trick.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Good news, they did bring the Dream Lord back.... in 1986!

Edit: Semi-related, God I loved that The Snowmen ended up being a prequel to The Abominable Snowmen (how did I not see it coming!?!) and The Web of Fear. :allears:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 25, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The Valeyard and Dreamlord together from diff doctor incarnations could also be cool, they're remarkably restrained about ripping characters from the middle of past doctors to interact with a future/present one.

If the Valeyard doesn't make an appearance during Ncutis first or second season then I will watch the whole run of the doctor who had the Valeyard, a bet I should lose by choice since I should get through the OGs eventually.

Edit: I'm very late to the party in noticing that 10 will be 10 and 14, and Ncuti 15. Now I'm wondering if 14 will be a distinct character or personality from 10.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 26, 2023

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It’s just feels so surreal to me to be seeing ads and posters of new Doctor Who with Tennant doing the outstretched hand pose thing in the year 2023.

I want to be excited about new Who, but I can’t get over the feeling that this is one of the most lazy and transparent attempts at regaining popularity that a long-running franchise has ever done. They’ve got a seriously uphill battle to justify Tennant’s new Doc instead of just going straight to Gatwa.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s just feels so surreal to me to be seeing ads and posters of new Doctor Who with Tennant doing the outstretched hand pose thing in the year 2023.

I want to be excited about new Who, but I can’t get over the feeling that this is one of the most lazy and transparent attempts at regaining popularity that a long-running franchise has ever done. They’ve got a seriously uphill battle to justify Tennant’s new Doc instead of just going straight to Gatwa.

Gatwa wasn’t available for these, he had some other prior commitment. And they weren’t gonna let the 60th pass without something.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
An uphill battle? The reaction to his return has been massively positive.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Don't you think he looks tired?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Yannick_B posted:

An uphill battle? The reaction to his return has been massively positive.

For me. I’ve never liked Tennant.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Khanstant posted:

Now I'm wondering if 14 will be a distinct character or personality from 10.

I've been hoping so too (maybe even using his native accent), but it really isn't seeming like that will be the case. Might change over the course of the specials, of course, and I think he'll be a bit different given the overarching plot and RTD getting some distance from the character in the intervening years, but we'll see.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Big Mean Jerk posted:

For me. I’ve never liked Tennant.

Yeah, Tennant doesn't do much for me either and the only reason it doesn't feel entirely (just partially!) like some weird stunt to bring people back in is knowing the behind-the-scenes reasons for it. But also, Chibnall basically killed the show so if this is what it takes to get to telling new stories with a new Doctor... There's a chance of good stories coming out of this, as opposed to the situation where the show is canceled I suppose.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

I've been hoping so too (maybe even using his native accent), but it really isn't seeming like that will be the case. Might change over the course of the specials, of course, and I think he'll be a bit different given the overarching plot and RTD getting some distance from the character in the intervening years, but we'll see.

I'm interested to see where they go, we've all aged and changed since back then, but also everyone except half of 10 have been alive all this time (although any doctor can have infinite adventures retroactively added in via time travel). They could wibbly wobbly time their way to him being older, could just be how new regeneration is, maybe he actually does live off screen between us seeing him reappear initially and these specials.

Oh and this version I assume has all the marriage memories of River, will be interesting to see how that reconciles his Rose heartbreak.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Until I hear otherwise, I'm going to assume that while 5-8 were busy catching up with 13 when she was stuck in limbo while the Master was hijacking her body..... 11 was introducing 9 to War, 1 was catching up with 12 to see how things went, 2 and 3 were getting caught up with Fugitive to fill in the gaps in their respective memories, and 10 took the chance to haul rear end and leap after 13 and get pulled along by her pants cuff when she returned to her body. That left 15 standing in the "new incarnation start here" circle going,"Would somebody tell me WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!?!"

4, of course, nobody has absolutely any idea where he is or what he is up to, and they're all terrified.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

4 was still punting down the river with romana

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Well that's fair enough, after all Romana does so love spring.

DavidCameronsPig
Jun 23, 2023
A lot of people bailed the second Matt Smith showed up, let alone Chibnall. Those people are wrong and dumb, but it happened. Getting them to tune back in in the hope that at least a few stick around got Ncuti’s run is smart, even if it’s redundant for those of us who even stuck through all the Timeless Child bullshit.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Lottery of Babylon posted:

4 jumped ahead of 10/14, lived an entire regeneration as the Curator in what we saw as the first couple of frames of 13's regeneration, then got back in time for 14 to show up.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Doctor Who was literally about to be cancelled before Davis came back onboard with Tennant. And now it's going to have a return to yearly episodes, a behind the scenes series, and two spin-offs. Sometimes it's okay when things sell out a little.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Khanstant posted:

Edit: I'm very late to the party in noticing that 10 will be 10 and 14, and Ncuti 15. Now I'm wondering if 14 will be a distinct character or personality from 10.

Very difficult to tell based on Liberation of the Daleks, which is apparently the canonical post-regeneration story for 14

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I feel like if the knowledge he didn't burn Gallifrey DOESN'T change 10 somewhat then something is wrong.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

I feel like if the knowledge he didn't burn Gallifrey DOESN'T change 10 somewhat then something is wrong.

Given what I've seen so far, my guess is that this version of the Doctor feels Donna is the one last outstanding wrong he needed to right. Gallifrey was saved (ignore Chibnal!), he didn't destroy it like he thought he had, Rose got her quasi-version of the Doctor boyfriend she wanted, all the other companions got some degree of resolution and happiness and yes Donna did too... but he failed her in a way he didn't fail the others, took away from her the ultimate expression of her unrealized potential, and now this is a chance to try and do SOMETHING about that.

All of the above is speculation, just tagged for those going into this season totally blind.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Since it gives us Catherine Tate back I guess I'll accept Tennant back too.

edit: she was only 37 when she first guest-starred and that makes me feel old

SecretOfSteel fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Oct 26, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Reminder, this is what David Tennant looked like in his first appearance as the Doctor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa3NM9Jhkn0&t=151s

He's so YOUNG! :stare:

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Khanstant posted:

I'm on Amy's Choice. I don't hate the concept of the Dream Lord, love me some psychic pollen and all that, but I hope they bring it back at some point. The doctor being the doctor's own enemy is a decent hook, and I don't think the Dream Lord has to be stuck only with that one specific trick.

Toby Jones is a treasure. His Dream Lord performance is one of the greats. Every line, loving golden.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Autisanal Cheese posted:

Toby Jones is a treasure. His Dream Lord performance is one of the greats. Every line, loving golden.

He's good fun in Dark Eyes as well.

Edit: I'm rewatching McCoy's final season and it really does seem unjust that THIS was the one that got hit with cancellation. Yeah Battlefield is a fan service mess, but Ghost Light is engagingly weird and spooky and Fenric and Survival are both pretty great.

Fil5000 fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Oct 26, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Toby Jones was great in the last season of Sherlock too, which was unfortunately utterly wretched apart from his episode :smith:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Reminder, this is what David Tennant looked like in his first appearance as the Doctor:

I kept saying the same thing when I rewatched that period. I think in his first couple of episodes he's made up to look like he's twenty and it really doesn't help.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Jerusalem posted:

Shame there's no indication Alex Kingston has been cast for the specials, given that's one of the first things River Song said to him (though the "well, his eyes looked old because he knew what happens to her" thing worked well enough). Well, it'll happen in Big Finish sooner or later I guess.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Shame there's no indication Alex Kingston has been cast for the specials, given that's one of the first things River Song said to him (though the "well, his eyes looked old because he knew what happens to her" thing worked well enough). Well, it'll happen in Big Finish sooner or later I guess.

I suspect that RTD will do the same thing he did last time and flatten and avoid continuity/heavy nostalgia appeals in an effort to not lose a large audience.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, I remember that moment. "New Labour. That's weird."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyexKUSKFW0&t=122s

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Jerusalem posted:

Toby Jones was great in the last season of Sherlock too, which was unfortunately utterly wretched apart from his episode :smith:

People keep saying that, but the episode itself was ridiculous, it was basically about Sherlock perfectly predicting multiple people's exact movements weeks in advance even while going through some mania.

Toby Jones was great in it though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yep, it was completely carried by his performance.

Sherlock started so strong and by the end it was so bad :smith:

At least I still have the boxset of the old Jeremy Brett series :hellyeah:

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Clouseau posted:

I suspect that RTD will do the same thing he did last time and flatten and avoid continuity/heavy nostalgia appeals in an effort to not lose a large audience.

Sure. But it doesn't even have to be continuity-heavy or even an extensive appearance or anything other than unmentioned subtext, the sort of thing a million nerd sites would write "10 Easter Eggs You Missed in the Doctor Who Specials" which 99.999% of the world rightfully ignore anyway.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Jerusalem posted:

Yep, it was completely carried by his performance.

Sherlock started so strong and by the end it was so bad :smith:

At least I still have the boxset of the old Jeremy Brett series :hellyeah:

I watched all of Sherlock but I should've checked out when Mary turned into a ninja assassin

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Watched all the Jeremy Brett stuff last year, so good.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The BBC Radio series starring Clive Merrison is great too

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Davros1 posted:

Ooo nice I'll have to look in to that.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Davros1 posted:

He's absolutely my favourite Holmes. I love Brett, but Merrison just clinches it for me, I think he manages the "charming" bits of Holmes better than Brett does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

BOOMERANG