Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jerusalem posted:

I love that Freelancer shows that Diana has figured out that the best way to keep 47 happy is to provide him things to decorate his house with like he's a zoo animal that needs enrichment exercises to keep him mentally alert.

Although her choice to gatekeeper access to a toilet behind carrying out a number of murders is… troubling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I really, really hate Absolution for a long list of reasons that I think would just be repeating what has been said a million times before, but Contracts has really grown on me. I think its currently my second favourite Hitman game (I see WOA as basically all one game), it edged out Blood Money which I think hasn't aged that well since it feels like most of what I liked about it has been done better in the newer games which also highlight the things I don't like about that game, while in contrast Contracts is so thick with atmosphere it really sets it apart. I think that was something that reflected poorly on Absolution too, in terms of being grimy and dark its so utterly outclassed by Contracts and its endless night and unceasing rain.

I just wish that the back half of Contracts wasn't so dodgy compared to the first half, remaking every Hong Kong mission and making them the end of the game was such a uniquely terrible idea, it completely ruins the pacing and difficulty curve. It is interesting that Hitman 3 clearly took a ton of inspiration from Contracts and its obvious to me that between Dartmoor, Berlin and Chongqing that IOI was trying very hard to evoke at least some of the atmosphere and levels from the earlier game.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 14, 2023

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
The Meat King's party still has one of the creepiest atmospheres in all the series, especially the murder room where 47 finds the girl he was supposed to rescue.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Now I want Dartmoor at night during a thunderstorm where your targets notice the others missing and get progressively more terrified as spooky old house stuff happens.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

KillHour posted:

Now I want Dartmoor at night during a thunderstorm where your targets notice the others missing and get progressively more terrified as spooky old house stuff happens.

Oh drat, now I do too. Dartmoor would be a great Halloween map. :spooky:

Hey, IOI, give players the mod tools!

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Mod tools would truly give the game infinite replayability (and allow us to fix some of their poo poo for them), but I doubt it'll ever happen.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
My bad boy strategy is to coin him and his pals down the (criminally underutilized) access stair into the Basement of a Thousand Freezers. It's just a lot more predictable than the jank sports car opportunity.

khwarezm posted:

I really, really hate Absolution for a long list of reasons that I think would just be repeating what has been said a million times before, but Contracts has really grown on me. I think its currently my second favourite Hitman game (I see WOA as basically all one game), it edged out Blood Money which I think hasn't aged that well since it feels like most of what I liked about it has been done better in the newer games which also highlight the things I don't like about that game, while in contrast Contracts is so thick with atmosphere it really sets it apart. I think that was something that reflected poorly on Absolution too, in terms of being grimy and dark its so utterly outclassed by Contracts and its endless night and unceasing rain.

I just wish that the back half of Contracts wasn't so dodgy compared to the first half, remaking every Hong Kong mission and making them the end of the game was such a uniquely terrible idea, it completely ruins the pacing and difficulty curve. It is interesting that Hitman 3 clearly took a ton of inspiration from Contracts and its obvious to me that between Dartmoor, Berlin and Chongqing that IOI was trying very hard to evoke at least some of the atmosphere and levels from the earlier game.

I'm in pretty much the exact same boat. While it's difficult to come back to after the modern trilogy, Contracts has still aged better than any of the other earlier games.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ghostlight posted:

i had some inspiration so here is my explosive saso bad boy run
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN86PWpXY7A

What the fuucccck? I'm impressed by your timing of course but also I had no idea you could throw the loving emetic grenade at the roof to get everybody a floor above sick :lol:

I did it by just slowly clearing out the kitchen of Dino's manager, the kitchen chef and the Bad Boy's buddy, got BB sick and then one of his following bodyguards, KOed his other bodyguard as he was following BB back into the basement, then poison syringed BB on one of the basement access stairwell landings. All bodies except for BB's hidden since it was an "accident", but the other bodyguard never found him anyway and I just got to walk out. Long and slow but it works!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Playing Freelancer long enough has definitely clued me in to some spots where throwing an item distracts somebody waaaay far away from where the noise is. There's a back door in Dartmoor, a space between two security rooms near the start of Sgail, a stairwell in Dubai... I have yet to find one of these spots that's actually useful, though, unlike that spot. I dunno if it still works, but I know the speedrun for Sapienza at one point involved putting an explosive on the floor of the garage that happens to clip through the floor just enough to drop the stalactite on the biolab.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I see they still haven’t fixed the Arrange Meeting condition in Freelancer.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

The_Doctor posted:

I see they still haven’t fixed the Arrange Meeting condition in Freelancer.

Freelancer showdowns are best done on Mendoza with a good sniper rifle. If you get a prestige objective you can accomplish, great. If not, you're usually out in <2 minutes, even with a bad spawn - and on to other jobs where you can still max out your $/minute.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Shooting Blanks posted:

Freelancer showdowns are best done on Mendoza with a good sniper rifle. If you get a prestige objective you can accomplish, great. If not, you're usually out in <2 minutes, even with a bad spawn - and on to other jobs where you can still max out your $/minute.

Counterpoint: The underground section in Miami which has several individual bathrooms you can stash suspects and assassins and lookouts in.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Rochallor posted:

Playing Freelancer long enough has definitely clued me in to some spots where throwing an item distracts somebody waaaay far away from where the noise is.

Back in Hitman II, I played the escalation in Paris with the battleaxe kills not knowing you could lure the Sheik downstairs by throwing something in the parking lot while he is on the balcony. It's not a ridiculous or very complicated distraction, but it was a "holy poo poo" moment when I did the escalation again in Hitman III. I got an SA rating in both games but one of them required a lot more effort... :downsgun:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Rochallor posted:

Counterpoint: The underground section in Miami which has several individual bathrooms you can stash suspects and assassins and lookouts in.

It takes too long there.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The main issue with Miami Showdowns is that it takes forever for a Suspect to go to a meeting and then return to their routine, leading to a ton of lost time tracking Suspects who won't show off any tells because they're on the way to or from a meeting.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
This game needs a Phantom Cigar extremely badly

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

i had some inspiration so here is my explosive saso bad boy run
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN86PWpXY7A

what was the purpose of the c4? to get rid of the entourage or ...?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yeah, he has two goons that will follow him all the way into that bathroom and spot him unless they get distracted.
I was hoping that the detonator would disappear when the guard picked up the explosive and disabled it so I could use that as a timer, but it didn't, and really I could have just dropped a proximity explosive rather than a breaching charge since my plan was to be right at the exit anyway.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

I didn't even need Silent Assassin.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

The first guy to wake up from that is gonna be in for a trip.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's far from the first time he's woken up tangled together with a bunch of half naked men with no memory of how he got there, and it certainly won't be the last.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Rochallor posted:

I didn't even need Silent Assassin.

I'm getting flashbacks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIxcvsxNs9s

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I just fully mastered Freelancer! It was a fun ride, but I think I'm pretty much done with the game for now. I'm still ages away from completing the GOAT and Employee of the Month challenges, and I don't really fancy tackling any of the others I have left over either. I'll try to keep up with the ETs so long as they keep doing them.

Can't remember if I said this before, but it irrationally irks me how you can't unpack everything in the gym if you don't have the deluxe pack. Big stupid cardboard box is just stuck there forever.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Apparently if you scare Caruso on Sapienza when he's in the cave, he'll take off in the seaplane - eliminating that as an exit. I never encountered this during the game, and I didn't expect it during Freelancer. No big deal, but I did have to remember how to get out of the cave safely to a different exit.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I hit 99/100 and the reward was... some murder-bux. :nallears:

On the plus side, the Food Critic ET is waaaaaay easier now that he doesn't ignore the bathroom to go straight to the kitchen to puke in a basket in front of everybody.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

Shooting Blanks posted:

Apparently if you scare Caruso on Sapienza when he's in the cave, he'll take off in the seaplane - eliminating that as an exit. I never encountered this during the game, and I didn't expect it during Freelancer. No big deal, but I did have to remember how to get out of the cave safely to a different exit.

Instead of thinking of it as Caruso escaping, try to imagine what fun possibilities him flying that plane gives you...

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

None, if you're playing Freelancer.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

I mean, shooting the plane with a cannon is fun even if it doesn't help the mission.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dabir posted:

None, if you're playing Freelancer.

Is the plane a valid exit for suspects? This would be super niche, but I wonder what would happen if you spooked a suspect with Caruso and Caruso stole the plane before the suspect could leave.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I don't think the lab plane is a designated evac point for Sapienza. There are some "conditional" exits that are never considered. Good example is that I don't think anyone on Miami will ever evac from the manhole by the hotel or the Medic van. It's good to get in the habit of using unusual exits during showdowns specifically to avoid bodyguard zones of death.

That said, the way Suspects evacuate is different from the way main mission targets do. Suspects just stand at a designated exit point and fill a bar, then vanish from reality when it finishes. Main map suspects generally get in an actual vehicle, like Caruso's seaplane or Yuki using the cable car. There might be a counterexample of a main target evacuating with the same method as Suspects, but most main targets cannot actually leave the map at all, so it might be special code specific to Showdowns.

EDIT: Trying to remember which targets can flee the map. Caruso can, Yamazaki can, the Bookkeeper ET can, Craig Black can, the targets in Dubai can, not sure about the others offhand.

EDIT EDIT: Despite one of the mission stories in Paris involving triggering an evacuation plan, neither Margolis nor Novikov will actually try to leave the map.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 24, 2023

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I believe the Bookkeeper ET exits the map the same way - he just stands in a designated spot next to 'his' car for a specific amount of time before the mission fails because he escaped. He never gets in it or even particularly close to it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

once again i am back with wallhacks to saso the food critic in 1:36
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t6lLuywa_U

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd2VLdxvKmQ

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Ghostlight posted:

Nobody deserves to be clipped to death more than that weird non-eating, non-moving prick.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rochallor posted:

Nobody deserves to be clipped to death more than that weird non-eating, non-moving prick.

Er, he does move though, doesn't he? He goes to the kitchen at one point. You can poison him there because the cake is tempting enough that even he considers sneaking a taste.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Midnight Voyager posted:

Er, he does move though, doesn't he? He goes to the kitchen at one point. You can poison him there because the cake is tempting enough that even he considers sneaking a taste.

Huh, I have bad memories of waiting like 20 minutes from the guy to move all the way back from Hitman 1, it's possible something didn't trigger for me back then though. Every subsequent time I've encountered him I just threw a bomb or an emetic grenade due to not wanting to wait that long.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

he does move to the kitchen but it's based on him running through all his lines with the waiter that walks over every now and then so it's never worth waiting around for unless you specifically want to poison him - and you only get one shot at that because he'll revisit the kitchen but not retry the cake.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

Might just be something on my end but I'm getting a playback error: please try again later message on this?

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

It's working for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

he does move to the kitchen but it's based on him running through all his lines with the waiter that walks over every now and then so it's never worth waiting around for unless you specifically want to poison him - and you only get one shot at that because he'll revisit the kitchen but not retry the cake.

it's definitely a deliberate troll. his job is trying food and he mostly hangs out in a restaurant with tons of food in it. but the only way to learn in-game that he doesn't eat or drink is a huge waste of time.