Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Ariong posted:

I've got one that's my favorite just for how disastrous it is. So in The Sims 2 there is a problem with deleting Sims. It is well known among hardcore Sims 2 fans that you should NEVER delete Sims. I don't know the exact technical details (I'm sure it's all been well-documented by now) but when you delete a sim, not all of the data associated with it gets deleted. Some of it sticks around unattached to any sim, and the next time the game generates a sim and stores it in the slot the deleted sim used to occupy, some of that ghost data gets attached to the new sim. It does not cause any immediate problems but it basically causes that instance of that town to become less and less functional over time until eventually it becomes unplayable. The more sims you delete, the faster it happens.
I recently helped a buddy get Sims 2 up and running with mods and fell the abyss of Sims lore/wikis. Are you talking about this part?
https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Game_guide:Avoiding_corruption#Myth:_Deleting_Sims,_urns,_and_gravestones_causes_corruption

My favourite part from that page is this:

quote:

Definite signs of corruption
Symptoms include:
-Memories being lost or totally random.
I mean like, sure you could class dementia as memory corruption :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

My main source for this data is a youtuber named Tanic Sims 2, and more specifically her Sims 2 Corruption Chronicles series in which she dives into each premade neighborhood and discusses some of the notable bits of corruption that come with them and the effects.

First Episode - Hood Corruption Overview

Playlist Link

Here’s another one from that first video. In Pleasantview there is the Broke family, consisting of Brandi, who is a mother in the early stages of pregnancy, and her two sons. The father, Skip Broke, died shortly before the start of the scenario. At some point during development the creators of the game got rid of the version of Skip they were working with and made a new one, but remnants of the old one remain. Looking through the memories and family trees of the Broke family reveals that in some places the new version of Skip is there like he should be, but in other places the old version is referenced instead.

The most prominent effect of this is with the unborn baby. Players did not take long to notice that the baby is always born as a boy with black hair and grey eyes, but for a long time nobody knew why. Based on the way babies normally work in The Sims 2, the baby should have a 50/50 chance of being either sex and have a random mix of Brandi and Skip’s traits. Eventually the cause was discovered: the baby was created when the developers were still using the old version of skip. When they created the new version they did remove the link between the dummied-out Skip and the baby, but they forgot to recreate that link with the new Skip. The result is that Brandi’s baby has no father at all, and therefore is a clone of Brandi. In The Sims 2, when this happens, the baby always has the opposite sex of the parent but otherwise has identical genetics to the parent. That’s why Brandi’s unborn baby always has black hair and grey eyes; because she does.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

https://i.imgur.com/1bDVE3C.mp4
Spideymans 2 has a lot of quick slo-mo effects, but it happened to get stuck in that mode, I think I spent at least a dozen minutes trying to finish this rando fight scene to see if it would persist after that, before I finally gave up and reloaded a checkpoint. It had its own interesting sort of grace, but it made me wonder if that's how you see the world 24/7 if you have spidey sense, that'd get old fast.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You accidentally installed the Flash DLC

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Captain Hygiene posted:

https://i.imgur.com/1bDVE3C.mp4
Spideymans 2 has a lot of quick slo-mo effects, but it happened to get stuck in that mode, I think I spent at least a dozen minutes trying to finish this rando fight scene to see if it would persist after that, before I finally gave up and reloaded a checkpoint. It had its own interesting sort of grace, but it made me wonder if that's how you see the world 24/7 if you have spidey sense, that'd get old fast.

There’s 70, 50, and 30% speed modes available as accessibility options and they can be mapped to left and right on the d-pad as shortcuts. Might have still been triggered by a glitch in your case but you can totally control it manually.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Dewgy posted:

There’s 70, 50, and 30% speed modes available as accessibility options and they can be mapped to left and right on the d-pad as shortcuts. Might have still been triggered by a glitch in your case but you can totally control it manually.

That is pretty handy, I had no idea they added that option. I doublechecked and it's not set as a default, maybe adding more complexity to the system just opened it up to more glitchiness :iiam:

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

copy/pasted from Discord:

hmm, I seem to have a Cyberpunk problem. Hit a pedestrian, whatever, cops are on me, my quest destination is here, let's just do a trick jump over this wall here and wait for them to quiet down before going about my day.
Wow, I don't recognize this area, and it seems like all the walls have barbed wire at the top. Here's some "Guard - no affiliation" dudes trying to kill me, guess I'll cut them up. Now I've found... a basketball court? Oh gently caress, I know where I am.

I managed to accidentally break into prison.

I'm trying my best to find a way out without reloading but it's not going well.
If I had one of the jumping leg mods I'd be out already, shame there's no ripper doc here.

There's a giant tower here and a lot of empty space. I don't think I'm supposed to be here
There are some machines I can climb on near the fences, but it's not quite enough height to get over them without jump mods.

I tried to get out the same way I got in, by trick jumping out of a car at high speeds. I managed to get vehicles in here, but I guess the street is higher than the floor here, because I can't seem to make the jump.
My next plan is to try to pile up vehicles until they're tall enough for an escape route.
Let's just hope I've bought enough cars

Just calling every vehicle at once, there's a strange noise behind me and I'm afraid to look.

The tools I've ordered have arrived. Time to get to work.

The phsics engine does not like car piles this big. Sounds like robot hell up in here.

This is going great.

I'm having trouble getting them stacked vertically. The Caliburn is the only one that's good at wedging under things.
Maybe I can get one to spawn on top of the water tanks.

I jumped over a small fence and I can't get back. And I can't call my cars since I've already called them all.
Guess I'll chuck a few grenades over the fence.
Oh apparently there's a 5 min cooldown for recalling broken vehicles.

poo poo.

Aight this experiment is about over. I'm just gonna shoot some prisoners and hope the cops bring me something I can use.
oh my god i did it
well not escaped
I got a car on top of the water tanks.

Jailbreak successful.
I'm free!

Truly, the laws do not apply to the rich.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

More glitchiness in Spider-Man 2, I'm getting way more little bugs popping up than I ever got in the other two games.

Today I got malfunctioning replicants:

https://i.imgur.com/0DRLfSQ.mp4
:tinfoil:

And Miles randomly phasing into a small unescapable building interior, where he will now live for the rest of his life:

:smith:

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Captain Hygiene posted:

And Miles randomly phasing into a small unescapable building interior, where he will now live for the rest of his life:

:smith:

that's $4,200 a month. bathroom's down the hall.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPE8uou8i18

Speaking of phasing through collision. In case it's not clear what's happening in this video: It's a stealth segment, and one of the guys you need to take out either spawned underground or phased through the floor, leading to me looking for a way to take them out so I could complete the objective.

King of Solomon has a new favorite as of 17:15 on Oct 24, 2023

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I'm playing Skyrim, and just did the Companions quest Proving Honor, where you track down a fragment of Wuuthrad and find out the high ranking Companions are all Werewolves. You get trapped behind a gate, and Farkas gets jumped by some Silver Hand guys, transforms into a werewolf, kills then, runs off, turns back into a human and flips the switch that frees you, and comes back and says "I hope I didn't scare you."

Except he ran back wearing just his boots, gauntlets, and a cape."Hope I didn't scare you." :pervert:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPE8uou8i18

Speaking of phasing through collision. In case it's not clear what's happening in this video: It's a stealth segment, and one of the guys you need to take out either spawned underground or phased through the floor, leading to me looking for a way to take them out so I could complete the objective.

*taps side of forehead* can't get taken out if you can't be gotten to :hmmyes:

Some enemies in that area (the attack robot cat/dogs) are involved in my next consistent glitch, peppering them with webs makes their model go into its default pose but at a different rotational orientation each time they're hit with one. Game's good, but there's a lot more low-level jank like that than I remember from the previous ones.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Captain Hygiene posted:

Game's good, but there's a lot more low-level jank like that than I remember from the previous ones.

Eh, worth remembering it’s only been out for a couple of days. Insomniac’s really good about patches and bugfixes, and that was true of the first two SM games too.

The PS5 versions of them used to cause really worrying hard crashes at launch (like, unplug your system because it’s locked up so hard) and didn’t even ship with Performance RT mode at first.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Squido posted:

poor chap
Cities Skylines 2

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
mondays, amirite?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Kennel posted:

Squido posted:

poor chap
Cities Skylines 2

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

crime fighting hog posted:

that's $4,200 a month. bathroom's down the hall.

In Manhattan?! Lucky gently caress.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://i.imgur.com/4yTqboO.mp4

I think this is Project Zomboid.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

PurpleXVI posted:

https://i.imgur.com/4yTqboO.mp4

I think this is Project Zomboid.

So the dog is actually a furry in costume.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
The Thing DLC lookin good

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
That's just how the dogs are when they think we aren't watching.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I love that the dog does a fence-jumping animation meant for a human model while the human does no animation at all and instead just walks through the fence.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Ariong posted:

I love that the dog does a fence-jumping animation meant for a human model while the human does no animation at all and instead just walks through the fence.

I think that isn't a glitch, they might be a server admin in admin mode which lets you turn off collision

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
don't kinkshame

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yu-Gi-Oh Worldwide Edition: Stairway to the Destined Duel for GBA has so many wacky glitches that I'm surprised the thing turns on. Some highlights:

• Bandit Keith can randomly declare the duel a draw and run away. He especially loves to do that after using the card Gamble. That's so in character that I'm not entirely sure it's actually a glitch.
  • If you play Nightmare's Steelcage, which should stop both players from attacking, Kaiba and only Kaiba will just ignore it and attack anyway.
  • Spear Cretin's effect is supposed to let both players pick a monster from their graveyard, and summon it face-up or face-down. What it actually does is creates copies of the chosen monsters. For reasons known only to the gerbils that live in Konami programmers' heads, the copies also go to the wrong graveyard when they're destroyed.
  • Exodia can randomly make you win even if you haven't drawn it.
  • Exodia can make the duel a draw if you accidentally summon a piece and draw the others. Game just decides you hosed it and gives up.
  • A card that's supposed to support Summoned Skull instead supports Exodia's wanking hand.
  • If you use Change of Heart on two monsters in the same turn, they both try to go back to the same spot at the end of the turn. Whichever one loses that game of musical chairs gets sent to the Phantom Zone, never to be seen again.
  • And stop me if this one sounds familiar: Due to a programming error, opponents will never activate Snatch Steal, one of the most powerful cards in the game. Yeah, they didn't fix this one when they reused the AI for World Championship 2004.

Dabir has a new favorite as of 19:50 on Oct 30, 2023

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Dabir posted:

Yu-Gi-Oh Worldwide Edition: Stairway to the Destined Duel for GBA has so many wacky glitches that I'm surprised the thing turns on. Some highlights:

• Bandit Keith can randomly declare the duel a draw and run away. He especially loves to do that after using the card Gamble. That's so in character that I'm not entirely sure it's actually a glitch.
  • If you play Nightmare's Steelcage, which should stop both players from attacking, Kaiba and only Kaiba will just ignore it and attack anyway.
  • Spear Cretin's effect is supposed to let both players pick a monster from their graveyard, and summon it face-up or face-down. What it actually does is creates copies of the chosen monsters. For reasons known only to the gerbils that live in Konami programmers' heads, the copies also go to the wrong graveyard when they're destroyed.
  • Exodia can randomly make you win even if you haven't drawn it.
  • Exodia can make the duel a draw if you accidentally summon a piece and draw the others. Game just decides you hosed it and gives up.
  • A card that's supposed to support Summoned Skull instead supports Exodia's wanking hand.
  • If you use Change of Heart on two monsters in the same turn, they both try to go back to the same spot at the end of the turn. Whichever one loses that game of musical chairs gets sent to the Phantom Zone, never to be seen again.
  • And stop me if this one sounds familiar: Due to a programming error, opponents will never activate Snatch Steal, one of the most powerful cards in the game. Yeah, they didn't fix this one when they reused the AI for World Championship 2004.

Between programming and translation issues in a type of game that depends so much on the details in writing, I'm surprised any CCGs worked at all right up through mid-2000's consoles. The original Culdcept was nuts, although more due to poor translation than programming glitches. (BTW: the more recent rerelease for the 3DS, Culdcept Revolt, is quite good if anyone wants to try a version of it that isn't hot trash.)

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I got Culdcept PS2 for cheap at one point, and I hated it but my younger brother liked the game so I just gave it to him. Haven't bothered to try the 3DS Culdcept due to the negative associations with that PS2 game.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ha, you want translation issues, Master Duel had a thing a while back. In Japanese, the green cards are still called Magic Cards (literally majikku caado, no ambiguity there), but in English they've been Spell Cards since Wizards of the Coast started making noise about it in 2003. So whoever was translating them blindly went with Magic, someone told them to fix it, and they ran a quick find-replace on the entire game script. End result: Outside of card text (assume this has its own database), Dark Magician, one of the most iconic monsters in the game, ace monster of the lead protagonist of the first and most well-known series, monster that's had its name said out loud on screen probably more than any other except maybe Blue-Eyes, was consistently referred to as Dark Spellian.

This isn't even the first time that's happened to poor old Dark Magician. Check out Dark Magician Girl's effect in World Championship 2004.

And for a bonus, World Championship 2006, which I've posted about here before, has Raviel, Lord of Phantasms as an endgame opponent. His deck is called Spell King Rising. Why's it called that when he doesn't have anything in particular to do with spells? Because it was obviously Maoh in Japanese, which means Demon King, which fits a giant demon-type monster whose deck is full of demons. But ma can also be translated as magic, so with no context they called the deck Magic King Rising, and then did the lazy find-replace afterwards.

Dabir has a new favorite as of 11:28 on Oct 31, 2023

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Dabir posted:

Ha, you want translation issues, Master Duel had a thing a while back. In Japanese, the green cards are still called Magic Cards (literally majikku caado, no ambiguity there), but in English they've been Spell Cards since Wizards of the Coast started making noise about it in 2003. So whoever was translating them blindly went with Magic, someone told them to fix it, and they ran a quick find-replace on the entire game script. End result: Outside of card text (assume this has its own database), Dark Magician, one of the most iconic monsters in the game, ace monster of the lead protagonist of the first and most well-known series, monster that's had its name said out loud on screen probably more than any other except maybe Blue-Eyes, was consistently referred to as Dark Spellian.

This isn't even the first time that's happened to poor old Dark Magician. Check out Dark Magician Girl's effect in World Championship 2004.

And for a bonus, World Championship 2006, which I've posted about here before, has Raviel, Lord of Phantasms as an endgame opponent. His deck is called Spell King Rising. Why's it called that when he doesn't have anything in particular to do with spells? Because it was obviously Maoh in Japanese, which means Demon King, which fits a giant demon-type monster whose deck is full of demons. But ma can also be translated as magic, so with no context they called the deck Magic King Rising, and then did the lazy find-replace afterwards.

lol

Commander Keene posted:

I got Culdcept PS2 for cheap at one point, and I hated it but my younger brother liked the game so I just gave it to him. Haven't bothered to try the 3DS Culdcept due to the negative associations with that PS2 game.

Culdcept Revolt is honestly really good. If you're not interested in MTG + Monopoly, it still isn't going to work for you. But if you are, pretty much all the shoddy programming and mistranslations are gone, and the game is better balanced. They removed broken mechanics, added better ones, and fixed what was left. It's polished in a way no prior version of the game has been. It's definitely worth a look. 3DS is still my favorite console (since I do most of my gaming on my PC), and CR is up there with any of my favorite games on that console.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dabir posted:

Ah the classic "dawizard" problem.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Ah the classic "dawizard" problem.
The clbuttic mistake.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

https://i.imgur.com/aEm9wt6.mp4

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Impressive fleshmask jiggle physics right there

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Impressive fleshmask jiggle physics right there

this is the future jiggle physicists want

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

god if that happened in like a horror game or something i would lose my poo poo

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Spaced God posted:

god if that happened in like a horror game or something i would lose my poo poo

COME TO DADDY

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I'd really love to hear an explanation for that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
My best guess is that the face mesh is inappropriately getting the physics for a loose-fitting shirt or a big bushy beard or some other dynamic chest-level decoration applied to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

To be fair to Larian, the cause of this was a mod breaking after a patch