Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

MajorBonnet posted:

Look no further than King's self-insert in The Dark Tower books.
like at least half of film adaptations of King’s novels involve writer protagonists and King will also cameo whenever possible

there’s a 10 minute stretch in sleepwalkers that has King, Clive Barker, Joe Dante, Tobe Hooper, and (unfortunately) John Landis all cameoing in different roles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Anyone here streaming to a TV? I'm trying Sunshine/Moonlight to get this working and I have everything working fine, except for controller input lag. There's about a half second between controller input and something happening on screen. This is with a completely wired ethernet connection. The video and sound come through smooth as gently caress. Tried so many tweaks but no improvement on the controls.

Would a Steamdeck hardwired to the TV be a better option here?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Do you have the TV set to a gaming mode? Sounds like TV image processing might be affecting your input lag.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Yeah you absolutely need to set your TV to the specific low input lag Gamer Mode(TM)

I made that mistake when I set up my LG C1 with my PS5 at first :)

And no, my input lag with Steam Link is not that bad with WiFi 6 the whole way. Full ethernet should be great

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 25, 2023

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Commander Keene posted:

Do you have the TV set to a gaming mode? Sounds like TV image processing might be affecting your input lag.

This is the only thing I havent tried. It doesn't have Game Mode. Well it does for the HDMI inputs, but it's an Amazon Fire TV so the default input where all the streaming apps are housed (and Moonlight app) doesn't have it. I may try to load moonlight onto a firestick I have and use it in an HDMI input.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I set my TV to Gamer Mode but it just sprouted a bunch of jagged plastic and RGBs

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

mine called me a racial slur and started ranting about journalism ethics

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Jarvisi posted:

On the plus side. I just read the new Garth Marenghi novel and it was delightful

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/62003142

Thank you for telling me Garth Marenghi has an actual novel series.

Now what the gently caress is a throppleganger

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Heads-up: Argentina and Turkey will be switching currency to US Dollars on November 20th due to exchange rate volatility and such. If you're in those regions, you may see price increases, especially if some publisher is lazy and doesn't add new prices for those regions in their backend, resulting in it defaulting to the American prices.

25 other countries throughout Latin America, the Middle East and North Africa that were already using USD will also start getting regional pricing on that date, which means games may become cheaper or more expensive since they probably won't be using the American prices anymore.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Developers of Tower of Time released a new game that seems to be the same thing but with a somewhat higher budget (complimentary).

https://store.steampowered.com/app/945770/Dark_Envoy/

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

Developers of Tower of Time released a new game that seems to be the same thing but with a somewhat higher budget (complimentary).

https://store.steampowered.com/app/945770/Dark_Envoy/
i still need to play tower of time because i have it on GOG and i keep forgetting my catalog on there. but i recall hearing that ToT has a weird combat style where it's like, wave-based? this sounds like it is a bit more traditional RTWP, so i wonder how the two compare on that front

the setting seems interesting though and ToT's best aspect was supposed to be the story/world

i did play a couple more demos in addition to finishing Vividlope

Infinite Mana

Although the game looks a bit like Crystal Project and shares some similarities (which is why the Crystal Project dev linked to it on their store page), this one is definitely much rougher around the edges. The menu systems have a lot of cumbersome lag to them which is frustrating, and the visual style on display is not quite as congruent or confident... even though Crystal Project obviously used some third-party assets, it uses them very well and has a strong aesthetic direction. Infinite Mana is a bit simpler, muddier, and they slap this animated god ray sunshine overlay on top of everything (it stays onscreen even during fades to black). The storytelling is not much better either, kind of clumsy and lacking in personality.

But I'll still keep an eye on it to see what the game might end up being when it hits 1.0. It will have the kind of job learning and switching of Crystal Project, and rideable mounts, and exploration for hidden chests, but it's all just a little bit more awkward. The combat also lacks the juicy juicy details and odds information that makes Crystal Project's battles so good. Instead it just shows vulnerability slots under the enemies that fill in when you hit them, ala Octopath Traveler. The game also apparently has field actions like Octopath but without a dedicated button, so... IDK. it feels a bit invisible and likely for me to forget about.

Été

A game all about filling in a black and white world with watercolor?? Yes please and thank you. You are selling paintings made in your flat, by finding sources of inspiration in the world which then become 'stamps' you place on the canvas, which you can playback animation to find the right pose, and rotate/resize in 3D as well. it's a neat little Mario Painty concept. But the actual fun of the game is finding those sources of inspiration, which involves filling things in with paint, and then boop they're in your catalog, and when a thing in the world gets filled in with color, you get experience droplets. When you level up you can extend the length of your paint strokes, and how fast it recharges (perhaps they could add 'size of brush' as well?). It's just a lot of fun spraying paint everywhere and coloring in the world and then scooping up the XP orbs boop boop boop boop. I'd even be fine if the game was just that. But yeah this one goes on the wishlist.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 25, 2023

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

The 7th Guest posted:

the setting seems interesting though and ToT's best aspect was supposed to be the story/world
It really isn't. The writing is bad, the story makes absolutely no sense and frequently contradicts itself.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

anilEhilated posted:

It really isn't. The writing is bad, the story makes absolutely no sense and frequently contradicts itself.
well then why do people like it!!! (or are you just not someone who likes it)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm someone who doesn't like the combat and tagged out early because of it. If you want a taste of the story, there's a Let's Play that gives it way more thought than it deserves.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

It does RtwP RPG combat really well because it doesn't have the D&D albatross around it's neck like every other game in the genre.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The 7th Guest posted:

the combat was slow as balls when I tried the demo

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Slay the Princess is pretty good.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

It does RtwP RPG combat really well because it doesn't have the D&D albatross around it's neck like every other game in the genre.

Yeah if you're gonna go rtwp you're best off building your own system around it because a turn-based system like D&D just wasn't built for it

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Runa posted:

Yeah if you're gonna go rtwp you're best off building your own system around it because a turn-based system like D&D just wasn't built for it

Someone forgot to tell all the developers that.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

Blattdorf posted:

Slay the Princess is pretty good.

Best narrative game I’ve played since Undertale.

Spoilers for Slay the Princess, do not read this if you haven’t played yet because I think going in as blind as possible is the best experience: My first loop had me and the Princess locked in an eternity of combat where we fell in love from battling for thousands of years and getting up whenever we died. It was the greatest romance I’ve ever seen and permanently got me on the side of the Princess. Other attempts at having a battle romance did NOT go that well. gently caress the narrator too.

raccoon.bmp
Feb 16, 2023

🦝

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Speaking of frame rates, I just looked at Alan Wake 2's recommended specs and holy poo poo. I guess its supposed to look amazing though.

not the biggest fan of seeing more games having DLSS/FSR enabled at all quality settings. the medium-quality 1080p option only runs the game at 540p before upscaling, insane. really wonder how performance is gonna be at launch, hoping reviews tomorrow mention it.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Runa posted:

RTWP in BG1/2 isn't that bad of an approximation of AD&D 2e combat. Probably a better turn-based implementation would be choosing the actions of everyone simultaneously before anything actually happens, then "end turn" would cause the entire battle to simulate for 6 seconds with action priority being determined by per-round initiative rolls, but RTWP is kind of an attempt at doing that anyway.

RTWP on later editions that have an established turn order (not to mention non-D&D copycat games) is just vestigial and almost always sucks though. It's only good for getting throuh trash fights that shouldn't exist anyway.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

raccoon.bmp posted:

not the biggest fan of seeing more games having DLSS/FSR enabled at all quality settings. the medium-quality 1080p option only runs the game at 540p before upscaling, insane. really wonder how performance is gonna be at launch, hoping reviews tomorrow mention it.
If DLSS was available across the board and it wasn't vendor-specific, I wouldn't think it's a very big deal. Games have always relied on various tricks to increase perceived quality, and most of the time they weren't tweakable settings in the graphics menu that you could turn off if you really wanted (or in three GPU generations when they are no longer needed). As it is though, upscaling being necessary and FSR being dogshit basically means you're going to need an NVIDIA card if you want games to look their best which is bad for everyone.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

you have to wonder how low the internal resolutions are going to be on consoles given those PC specs, especially in the 60fps mode

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Remedy has said the game was designed around 30 FPS. Take that however you want, but I can sort of believe it since they're integrating live action visuals into the game, and those are probably mastered at 30 FPS?

There's so many games that offer 60+ FPS but then even the in-engine cutscenes will be locked at 30 FPS.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

The Kins posted:

Heads-up: Argentina and Turkey will be switching currency to US Dollars on November 20th due to exchange rate volatility and such. If you're in those regions, you may see price increases, especially if some publisher is lazy and doesn't add new prices for those regions in their backend, resulting in it defaulting to the American prices.

25 other countries throughout Latin America, the Middle East and North Africa that were already using USD will also start getting regional pricing on that date, which means games may become cheaper or more expensive since they probably won't be using the American prices anymore.

On this note, please recommend me your favorite cheap (sub-$20) games! I'm buying everything that's very cheap before prices go up

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Thats like every game in my library. Of my favorites I'll just say Void Strangers because its new and Inscryption cause its on sale.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Can you choose to make things weird colors in that watercolor game or is it realistic stuff only?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

raccoon.bmp posted:

Having to set DLSS to Performance mode just to run at 1080p is giving me some pause about picking this one up. DLSS looks alright when set to Quality or Balanced, Performance is where I've seen it start to generate severe graphical glitches consistently. Hopefully the EGS return policy is as good as Steam since there's a good chance my computer won't be up to standard for this one and I'll have to refund it shortly after starting.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Oxxidation posted:

the unprecedented reach and impact he has using the dark place's power is also meant to show he's a creative dynamo that it's desperate to get at. alan wake the writer is a Big Deal as far as the game is concerned, even though his prose excerpts all read like a sixth-grader wrote them

tbh i think the dark presence would be happy with novelai

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Having to set DLSS to Performance mode just to run at 1080p is giving me some pause about picking this one up. DLSS looks alright when set to Quality or Balanced, Performance is where I've seen it start to generate severe graphical glitches consistently. Hopefully the EGS return policy is as good as Steam since there's a good chance my computer won't be up to standard for this one and I'll have to refund it shortly after starting.

epics return policy is the same as steam, no questions asked within 2 weeks of purchase or 2 hours of playtime

they also do automatic partial refunds if the game goes on sale during the return period, rather than making you go through the dance of refunding and buying it again like steam does

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Azran posted:

On this note, please recommend me your favorite cheap (sub-$20) games! I'm buying everything that's very cheap before prices go up

Quickly going down my library for old favorites with widespread appeal:

Cryptark is free right now as they promote the sequel, and it's certainly a $20 game by merit and polish alone.

Crypt of the Necrodancer is heavily discounted for some reason, and is one of the titles that helped blur the RL genre and coin the term 'roguelite'. It's probably best-in-class.

Bad North scratches the traditional RTS itch while wrapped in cutsy graphics and tense 5-minute missions (and is on sale).

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Even Balanced starts looking like a pile of rear end at 1080p.

Quality quite often looks better than pure native though, simply because most developers don't give a single poo poo about trying to implement any kind of AA and DLSS is some black magic poo poo.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
why is dlss named deep learning super sampling anyways?
supersampling is supposed to be when you render at higher resolution than the display while dlss renders at lower resolution and upscales it
isn't this undersampling?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the output is (approximately) supersampled since it combines samples across multiple frames

it's supersampling amortized over time

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Parallelwoody posted:

Can you choose to make things weird colors in that watercolor game or is it realistic stuff only?
I think the real world objects are just the colors that they are, even when you bring them into the painting, although I only did the extremely guided tutorial painting so idk, maybe it’s possible that you can recolor them there… but not in the real world where you’re coloring the b&w world.

would be an interesting idea for someone to bring to the devs though, like a creative mode that lets you get really silly

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Azran posted:

I'm a big fan of survivors-likes, so of course I gotta go to bat for Vampire Survivors, Boneraiser Minions, and Brotato.

I've been on a Glorantha kick recently thanks to a goon game, so King of Dragon Pass, which also started the Steam Sale early and is a little over $2 right now, and 11-ish normally.

Have previously discussed Meltdown, a pretty cheap and fun arcade shooter earlier in the thread.

Luck be a Landlord, the roguelike slot-machine game, is certainly of note... mostly because Balatro won't release yet so I could recommend that instead.

I don't play Yi Xian: The Cultivation Card Game as much any more, but it is certainly worth its price and Xom's fanatical updates in the thread over the last few days are tempting me back/encouraging me to at least shill for it here.

Really, most of my library is $20 or below, but that's all the stuff that stands out on an immediate first glance so as not to bundle you with several dozen games.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Azran posted:

Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun and Aiko's Choice are on sale for $4 and $9
most of the DRODs are $10 and below
One Finger Death Punch 1+2
the SteamWorld Dig and Heist games are on sale for $2-3
Touhou Mystia's Izakaya is $6
Void Stranger is $12
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is $15
Darwinia is $10
Donut County is $13
Doom 64 is $5
all three Frog Detective episodes are $9
Into the Breach is $15

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 26, 2023

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Azran posted:

The Void Rains Upon Her Heart
Stardew Valley
My Time at Portia
Underatale
Environmental Station Alpha
CHRONO TRIGGER
Crystal Project
Card Quest
DROD: Gunthro and the Epic Blunder
Tiny Rogues
Roadwarden
Bean and Nothingness