Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I got the kind of screen protector with the plastic guide, but it still has a black edge that seems to just ever so slightly impede on the screen space. It looks perfectly aligned and it's only noticeable from the side mostly. :shrug:

I'd seek out a fully clear glass one if I did it again, but otherwise just waiting for my dbrand skin to roll in for the back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Can I set up to share my iTunes movies/TV shows to family without giving them access to my other subscriptions/cloud/payment? I found the Family Share invite but it looks like it's going to invite them to everything.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

iPhone SE 2020, I've got a problem where very infrequently (currently) people can't hear me when I call them. Is this a known issue? If so is there a software fix for it? It happens rarely enough that maybe it's just connection issues but it didn't happen at all until a few months ago.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Strange one I've noticed recently on my 15Pro using T-Mobile: in the little rounded rectangle that shows the icons for Airplane Mode, Cellular, WiFi and Bluetooth, my Cell icon is green while all the others are blue (except Airplane mode since it's not on). What does this indicate?

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Strange one I've noticed recently on my 15Pro using T-Mobile: in the little rounded rectangle that shows the icons for Airplane Mode, Cellular, WiFi and Bluetooth, my Cell icon is green while all the others are blue (except Airplane mode since it's not on). What does this indicate?

It means that its working

it's been green for ages

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Raymond T. Racing posted:

It means that its working

it's been green for ages

I guess I never noticed. Ah well, selective observation on my part :v:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Regarding scratches, my 12 Pro held up fine with absolutely zero scratches for two years. My current 14 Pro got some micro scratches within the first six months, same usage patterns.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Regarding scratches, my 12 Pro held up fine with absolutely zero scratches for two years. My current 14 Pro got some micro scratches within the first six months, same usage patterns.

Sammmeeeeeee.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I simply don't hang around places with sand 🤷🏻‍♂️

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Mister Facetious posted:

I simply don't hang around places with sand 🤷🏻‍♂️

poo poo I just moved to Arrakis :negative:

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
I surf, I have kids. I'm at playgrounds that have massive sand play areas several times a week. When I take the kids to the beach, they get back to the car and are like little churros. Sand is always around me. I use a glass screen protector. I've gotten decent at putting them on. Pretty easy if you just use the sticker to pre clean all dust off of them.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Combat Pretzel posted:

Similar: 12 pro never scratched, already got a small scratch on my 15 pro somehow. It’s only really noticeable off angle but like that just doesn’t seem like a good sign it goes in its own pocket, maybe it touched a rivet on my jeans or something? But that doesn’t seem right.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1717182143359553580

Apple TV+, Apple Arcade, Apple News+ and Apple One bundles are all going up in price.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Ha my stolen 15 Pro ended up in China 2 weeks later

Well that didn’t take long.

They all came within 5 mins of each other. Is it found or is it being repaired?? Who knows! drat you, Mr Jack! :argh:

Trying to decide if I want to just ignore it or waste their time.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 25, 2023

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I’d waste their time but that’s just me. Really give them the runaround like you’re trying to follow their instructions but just can’t for some reason.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Hey mister jack
Is that my iPhone in your bag

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Rageaholic posted:

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1717182143359553580

Apple TV+, Apple Arcade, Apple News+ and Apple One bundles are all going up in price.

Do you still get like a year of tv+ for free with every purchase of a new device? I feel like Apple TV+ is something nobody I know has ever paid for but just have it somehow.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Boris Galerkin posted:

Do you still get like a year of tv+ for free with every purchase of a new device? I feel like Apple TV+ is something nobody I know has ever paid for but just have it somehow.

No, they very deliberately quit that. It's 1/3 months at most now, depending on the device, and I believe it's not eligible to people that have already tried it? Might be wrong on the last part, but Apple made the tech news a while ago when they stopped the free year.

If i could get Apple news and Music for the same price as YouTube Premium, I'd be interested, but the only bundle that includes News is the most expensive one that has poo poo I neither want nor need, so.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don't know about that but I did get like 6 months of it free with the purchase of my PS5. I used that trial and didn't find much of value on there, so I cancelled it after the trial period was over.

Also, iOS 17.1 is out now!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

I’m curious what directions they’re gonna take. With my friend it was initially threats towards revealing compromising photos or giving away their credit card info stored on their wallet app. Then it progressed to death threats. Then it stopped lol.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

No, they very deliberately quit that. It's 1/3 months at most now, depending on the device, and I believe it's not eligible to people that have already tried it? Might be wrong on the last part, but Apple made the tech news a while ago when they stopped the free year.

If i could get Apple news and Music for the same price as YouTube Premium, I'd be interested, but the only bundle that includes News is the most expensive one that has poo poo I neither want nor need, so.

Yeah it's 3 months with any ipad, iphone, Apple TV, or Mac purchase but you can only ever claim the 3 months once.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I installed 17.1 twice on beta and now it wants to install the not beta version.

Are there tiny updates that use the same version number or is my phone being a doofus?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Rolo posted:

I installed 17.1 twice on beta and now it wants to install the not beta version.

Are there tiny updates that use the same version number or is my phone being a doofus?

You can check the build number by going to Settings > General > About, and tapping the iOS version number. If it's different than the update, then you should update. It most likely is.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Rolo posted:

Probably a change between GM and final release

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

You can check the build number by going to Settings > General > About, and tapping the iOS version number. If it's different than the update, then you should update. It most likely is.

Oh nice didn’t know you could do that.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Just updated to 17.1 final on my TimPhone

Build is 21B74

Nothin' blew up yet, looks good so far

roofus619
Dec 7, 2005

Brain eating? Hmmmmm, That's pretty unusual
My final build shows iOS 17.1 (21B80) on a 15 Pro. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

buglord posted:

I’m curious what directions they’re gonna take. With my friend it was initially threats towards revealing compromising photos or giving away their credit card info stored on their wallet app. Then it progressed to death threats. Then it stopped lol.

Death threats? Lol geeze. Did they string them along or just ignore the messages?

“If you want to see your wife and kids ever again, click our loving link!!!”

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

roofus619 posted:

Mine's an 11, there can be different builds for different models

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

roofus619 posted:

Mine shows 77 pre update so I guess I’m due.

Just call it 17.1.1 you jerks

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Ahh thank gently caress custom text tones are back

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

TACD posted:

Ahh thank gently caress custom text tones are back

Look at this jerkoff who doesn’t silence their phone 24/7.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Some goons have friends and family that talk to them

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

Uhhhhhh this might be a stretch.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Death threats? Lol geeze. Did they string them along or just ignore the messages?

“If you want to see your wife and kids ever again, click our loving link!!!”

Nah my friend just stayed completely silent. We figured this phone would end up overseas. So when it ended up in coastal china in some high rise we figured this was just some nerds processing phones by the hundreds using different persuasive methods to see what provided the best conversions.

It wasn’t explicit death threats, just saying that they were tired of waiting and something terrible will happen to my friend and his family, and also that the cops wouldn’t do anything about it (yeah probably true).

But then they completely stopped after that Hail Mary because I figure it’s kinda hard to go back to any of the gentler “hi it’s Tom from apple support!” messages.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

There's a rumor if you spam certain words or
phrases that are disapproved by China, they might be in a world of trouble.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

roofus619 posted:

That's normal. I was using RC2 on the 15 Pro which I think was 21B77, so today it upgraded to 21B80.

On my watch and iPad neither of those updated because the release version was the same build as the RC.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

I have many friends and family, silent 24/7 365 gang gang

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

glassyalabolas posted:

There's a rumor if you spam certain words or
phrases that are disapproved by China, they might be in a world of trouble.

Gonna send them a link to GNR - Chinese Democracy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So on 17, when I'd use Standby and would get a notification, it would show the app name and then a description of the notification underneath. I'm using Standby right now on 17.1 and it's showing the app name and then the word "Notification" underneath. What gives? Can I change that back to how it behaved on 17?

e: I fixed it. Show Preview On Tap Only was turned on. Idk if 17.1 turned that on but I definitely didn't have that on before.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 26, 2023