Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
CRTs make it look a lot better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
The DKC stream isn't making me wanna play the game as much as SMW did, but I do hope somebody with more dedication than me rips all the Griffin singing and assembles it into one song.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

timp posted:

I’m too lazy to track down the exact quote but I remember reading about Nintendo’s leadership reacting to DKC’s success and it was something to the effect of “Wow. Even a game as hideous and simple as this can resonate with American audiences”

I would have thought that take was ridiculous as a kid but it just goes to show how ahead of their time Nintendo can be sometimes (even if they don’t always get it right every time)

That was an urban legend about Miyamoto. The quote was "Donkey Kong Country proves that players will put up with mediocre gameplay as long as the art is good." There is no proof he ever said that. In fact he had a pretty good relationship with Rare.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

The story I've seen multiple times was that Nintendo was extremely surprised that DKC was running on the Snes while looking like it did

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Yeah dkc looks pretty dang good imo, though it's definitely one of those games that looks much better on an actual crt as opposed to modern displays

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Da Dadlands

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Can't believe Griffin had all those bug legs hanging out of his mouth

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Been kind of slow around here lately and the GB thread got canned so my messy bitch quotas aren’t getting hit. Has Travis had any gaffes regarding the business in the Middle East?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Oh totally, you should listen to all of the last 100 episodes and report your findings

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Justin was called out for latke erasure, but that's not fair because Issac was covering for him. And Issac doesn't cover things not covered in chocolate .

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

RandomPauI posted:

Justin was called out for latke erasure, but that's not fair because Issac was covering for him. And Issac doesn't cover things not covered in chocolate .

Is this the fourth McElroy brother I've hear so much about?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBkms_-CT_w

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Warbird posted:

Been kind of slow around here lately and the GB thread got canned so my messy bitch quotas aren’t getting hit. Has Travis had any gaffes regarding the business in the Middle East?

lol took them long enough, that thread was crap for years. What finally pushed it over the edge?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

the prophecy was fulfilled

MonsterDunk posted:

gas

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Wait yeah, the whole GB topic is gone. What happened??

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

bad thread full of parasocial weirdos

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Yeah but what about the GB thread

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

AndrewP posted:

the prophecy was fulfilled

genuinely one of the funniest moments on this website, incredibly underrated

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Wait, was there a GB thread about the McElorys? Literally never saw it, and now I never will.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Wait, was there a GB thread about the McElorys? Literally never saw it, and now I never will.

no, there was a Giant Bomb thread on these forums that was so bad it was moved from Games to RGD when RGD was still a relatively new subforum and it only got worse over the years to the point that it was finally gassed like 5 days ago

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Alaois posted:

no, there was a Giant Bomb thread on these forums that was so bad it was moved from Games to RGD when RGD was still a relatively new subforum and it only got worse over the years to the point that it was finally gassed like 5 days ago

What was so bad about it?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

grittyreboot posted:

What was so bad about it?

The only topic ever discussed was about how things used to be good, now they are bad. Then someone would post unrelated webcomics which were better than any other post. (Mine included.)

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Sure but did some specific happen to cause it to get closed?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oddly enough, no. It had been comparatively even keeled for a decent bit now so the shop closing up now was a bit surprising. Not unwarranted mind you, but surprising. I’d say this was now the worst thread on the website but it’s also been fairly sane since the last reboot so idk what anything is anymore.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Warbird posted:

Oddly enough, no. It had been comparatively even keeled for a decent bit now so the shop closing up now was a bit surprising. Not unwarranted mind you, but surprising. I’d say this was now the worst thread on the website but it’s also been fairly sane since the last reboot so idk what anything is anymore.

The F1 thread still exists.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
The Travis of threads.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

The F1 thread still exists.

the F1 thread is the worst thread on the forums, and the Giant Bomb thread was still worse than the F1 thread

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Did the giant bomb thread have weird parasocial poo poo about Dave Lang

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
I don't really care about the GB thread beyond I liked lurking it for getting what the GB dispora were up to (Remap/Nextlander/JeffG) without having to watch 20 hours of streams every week. Is there another thread being created for that stuff or another thread already on the forums for following that style of games critique/streamer/podcaster/let's player?

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

GB thread was useful for keeping up with all the past members and their side projects because if they did anything worth checking out people would post about it. I don't follow them all by myself, it's too much

When I would check it I'd skim past a lot of the conversation stuff, but idk it didn't seem any worse than a lot of other threads on here

e: ^^^^yeah what they said

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Bip Roberts posted:

The Travis of threads.

but i thought the thread was supposed to be bad

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:lmao: of course they all absolutely adored the flashback function of blades in the dark

Game system was an enabler

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Lmaoing at „we really wanted to do the core mechanics of the system but the narrative didn’t call for it”

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011
Honestly the flashback system worked great for how they play.

What didn't work is the rest of the system. Kind of a bummer not having characters going to jail and turf expansion/turf wars. That would have been fun.

They should have done shorter arcs and revisited layers to develop characters and the zones.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Aren't there actual systems designed around just telling a story without needing dice rolls or lots of mechanics or tracking?

I still think they should just play one of those

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
the players seemed to be playing it like D&D -- binary hit/miss but more likely to hit, always confident of and hoping for a full success.

BitD seems like a game of embracing failure and seeing where that takes you. Justin's GMing was solid.

fake edit about probability:

I just ran the chances of getting at least one six on 3d6. it's 42%

on 4d6 it bumps up to nearly 52%

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
I haven't started listening to TaZ but I suspect I might in the future. But on/off I listen to Pretend Friends and they use a kind of D&D system, except it uses playing cards. It's the Space Kings system. So it's free of all that kind of D&D cruft. It's more about having fun and telling a story, which seems like what TaZ is about.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Wilkins Micawber posted:

I haven't started listening to TaZ but I suspect I might in the future. But on/off I listen to Pretend Friends and they use a kind of D&D system, except it uses playing cards. It's the Space Kings system. So it's free of all that kind of D&D cruft. It's more about having fun and telling a story, which seems like what TaZ is about.

I think part of the problem is a lot of the big pops in Balance occured when the PCs were breaking the heavily structured nature of D&D in interesting ways. In a lot of the more rules lite, loosely structured, systems they've tried like Amnesty, I feel like they struggled a bit more since, as they couldn't rely on the inherent comedy their wild interpretations of the rules, which could create wacky scenarios for them. They instead have to rely a lot more on actually creating interesting drama whole cloth which isn't always their strong suit imo.

ImPureAwesome fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 3, 2023

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It doesn’t matter what version of any ttrpg they play, as long as they are utterly afraid of any consequences and they have Travis McElroy in the party they’re still gonna be stakeless and boring nothing adventures. Blaming the system for their straight-up refusal to tell an interesting or engaging story is like blaming the server for a bad meal instead of the chef, let alone that 5E is notoriously roleplay focused with very little cruft. They refuse to learn the rules, don’t follow what few rules they do learn, and have a dude who decides to be the Biggest Main Character ever. Balance was okay when it came out because there was literally nothing else but once you consume any other D and D podcast that either is super rules focused while still being entertaining (prime examples: CR, D20, and NADDPOD) or goes completely the other way and goes entirely for goofs over system (like say, Dragon Friends or Rude Tales), it immediately becomes apparent just how inept and poorly done a podcast this is. Everything it tries to do, another podcast does better; it’s not that funny, especially in comparison to actual play run by comedians, its drama is contrived, boring, and stakes free, it creates a completely harmless and ineffective version of whatever system it’s running by breaking the rules in half so nobody ever Feels Bad, and it has multiple problem players who destroy any semblance of fairness or competitive balance by refusing to be willing to fail/take their ball and go home when they don’t get their way the few times the D/GM punishes them. Again, it’s essentially a bad radio play at this point, and blaming the system for the mcelroys being bad storytellers is…misguided, to say the least.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
yeah man it’s that drat travis