Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

rotinaj posted:

Okay, i’ll just go to a local store for my very specific thing and- oops, the stores stopped carrying this one weird purchase, because people don’t buy mattress garters or a four-outlet spigot adapter or a bottle of more than ten prilosec in person anymore

I was going to solve my problem by going to the place that society has incentivized us to go to for our specific and uncommon purchases but forums poster modal auxiliary thinks there is ethical consumption under capitalism

The hit dog hollers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Brother Tadger posted:

The hit dog hollers

Feel free to counter the actual argument anytime you like

Consumers aren’t to blame for corporations choosing not to stock specific items, and consumers also aren’t to blame for the only places to get many items being online

It’s mostly just-in-time shipping/stocking being a very poor method for moving product

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

rotinaj posted:

Feel free to counter the actual argument anytime you like

Consumers aren’t to blame for corporations choosing not to stock specific items, and consumers also aren’t to blame for the only places to get many items being online

It’s mostly just-in-time shipping/stocking being a very poor method for moving product

At least where I work, JIT and Covid delays have been over for about a year. I think most items that are not found in stores are more because of profit margins than the breakdown of manufacturing.

I agree consumers are not at fault for places not stocking specific items, but with the pressure to always be making money, slow moving items tend to not be carried unless they have insanely high margins, or bring people in the door. (You also have to have your other items inline with what other places are charging locally.)

At the store I work at we stopped carrying a bunch of old style single (square key) door knobs, because we only sold two or three a month. In its place we put more Kwikset replacement hardware kits in black and bronze.That generates about 10 sales a month from that same area. Also, we can look and see that the people who buy those old knobs generally didn't buy other items on their trips to our store, so they were not driving sales of other items.

The Hardware Hank that just went out of business was a store that still had all old school hardware store stuff that moves pretty slowly now days. It was a godsend to the people who had old houses, but even in a 500k population area, they were loosing money every year, even during Covid. (Most hardware stores saw a 20+ percent yearly uptick in sales in 2020-22.)

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Buce posted:

nothin feels as good as a smooth, heavy as gently caress old analogue vol knob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9FzJ4lUcwQ

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
house ware is an interesting area because theres a few articles floating around that house flippers and them buying the cheapest stuff they can get to flip a house is currently driving the homogenization of new houses all looking the same.

I dont know if i've seen a kwikset thing ever, but i bet I can picture it just from current style osmosis

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've got an old house, and I love this online store https://www.houseofantiquehardware.com/

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

rotinaj posted:

Okay, i’ll just go to a local store for my very specific thing and- oops, the stores stopped carrying this one weird purchase, because people don’t buy mattress garters or a four-outlet spigot adapter or a bottle of more than ten prilosec in person anymore

Have you tried asking them if they can order it for you? I've had really good luck with this, I'm actually expecting a very weird and specific bass guitar to arrive at my local music store this week.

quote:

I was going to solve my problem by going to the place that society has incentivized us to go to for our specific and uncommon purchases but forums poster modal auxiliary thinks there is ethical consumption under capitalism

I don't take issue with buying poo poo online, it's practically a fact of life nowadays. I just don't think it's that crazy to look for an online retailer that isn't a paragon of financial impropriety, environmental destruction, and human rights violations like the lovely sites I listed by name.

I'll concede that it probably doesn't matter because we're in end-stage capitalist hellworld and we as consumers lack the autonomy to effect any sort of positive change, but I'm still glad I ordered my bass from a music store instead of buying it next-day from Amazon (which was 100% an option and also the first thing to show up in literally every search engine).

On-topic: I had one of these on Monday for the first time in a decade and it was like weapons-grade disappointment:

While the initial lack of sourness could be easily explained away by my aging tastebuds giving less of a poo poo about the malic/citric acid coating, the actual hard candy tastes like a nasty medicated lozenge now, and it doesn't even have a sour core in the middle.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Didn't they vastly reduce the strength of warheads because kids were hurting themselves binging on them?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Woolie Wool posted:

Didn't they vastly reduce the strength of warheads because kids were hurting themselves binging on them?

Man, kids today. Soft.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Wait so there's a "this new generation doesn't know anything about how cars work" but for computers?? Awful, absolutely awful. Everyone just repeats the complaints of their forbears, eh? I'm surprised no one's complaining about Eternal September.

I never did learn computers and I'm semisaved because now everything is set up so your phone works

That MAY help me this last decade of employment I have coming up after my brother passes

:pray:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hardware stores need heavy regulation and probably state ownership

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Against my better judgement I picked up a meal at KFC. The honey is now a honey like substance rather than actual and plentiful honey.

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

My knees and shoulders pop all the drat time now!!

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

Sounds like a skill issue to me.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Darth Brooks posted:

Against my better judgement I picked up a meal at KFC. The honey is now a honey like substance rather than actual and plentiful honey.

The last time I ate KFC, the chicken was nothing more than a mixture of gross cartilage and rubbery gristle. That was a few years ago.

I remember a time when you got full corn-on-the-cob in foil, until they switched to those half cobs. Then they switched to a little-rear end cup of kernels. I don’t know what they’ve switched to since then (here’s some seeds, plant your own drat corn), but that was what made me say gently caress KFC.

Well, that, and the discontinuation of the Lil’ Parfaits.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Darth Brooks posted:

The last two times I went the chicken was pink and uncooked. I have decided to never chance this ever again.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

KFC is loving putrid compared to every one of its competitors and I have no idea how it's still in business.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Tarkus posted:

KFC is loving putrid compared to every one of its competitors and I have no idea how it's still in business.

Colonel Sanders said that for YEARS

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I heard a 12 piece is like 30 dollars now, or something ridiculous like that.

As for "why are they still in business", at least in LA they've receded quite a bit. My home-burb lost all its KFCs in the 2010s

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

Colonel Sanders said that for YEARS

They hated Him for He spoke the Truth.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

I feel like the US is kind of an afterthought for KFC nowadays, they do way more business in China and SE Asia.

I haven't been there in a long time, but KFC in Thailand was actually pretty good. They always had a couple traditional Thai dishes on the menu made with your choice of regular or extra crispy KFC chicken.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

i haven't had kfc in at least 25 years, but I tried jolibees the other day and it was pretty meh

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There are more KFCs in china than in the united states which makes sense because last time I ate KFC in china it was edible while in the US it was undercooked garbage.

They got big in China by being a "clean" restaurant you could visibly see cooking your food and maintaining quality, so its extra lol regarding their US arms problems.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

PhazonLink posted:

house ware is an interesting area because theres a few articles floating around that house flippers and them buying the cheapest stuff they can get to flip a house is currently driving the homogenization of new houses all looking the same.

I dont know if i've seen a kwikset thing ever, but i bet I can picture it just from current style osmosis

Capitism kills everything it touches.

Lost of things piss me off, but people treating houses as investment opportunities instead of homes is right up there. lovely flippers and opportunistic landlords are near the top of the list imo.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Barudak posted:

There are more KFCs in china than in the united states which makes sense because last time I ate KFC in china it was edible while in the US it was undercooked garbage.

They got big in China by being a "clean" restaurant you could visibly see cooking your food and maintaining quality, so its extra lol regarding their US arms problems.

this reminds me of Nathan's Hotdogs paying docs or people wearing white labcoats to eat their hotdogs.

"well if those nice clean MEDICAL professions eat hot dogs they mush be 'clean'! " this was the 191X so whats his names The Jungle and the horrors the meat industry's labor policy meat policy was a recent mwmory

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

E: I was dumb

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 28, 2023

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Buying a ninja foodie on sale was the best investment I've made in a long time. Cooking quick really good meals is incredibly easy. I say this as an idiot who does all of their other cooking in cast iron.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
E: nope

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Oct 26, 2023

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 26, 2023

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

JediTalentAgent posted:

Speakers in every single media device. Not so much the quality, but this is how it goes down:

0-9: Can't hear a thing. On a loudness scale of 1-10, its a 1.1.
10: Volume shoots up very high and loud as hell and wakes up the whole house. Loudness scale of 1-10, it's jumped to an 8.
16-30: Goes up to about a 9.
31-100: It just goes up a tiiiiiiny little bit in volume for each increment until at max.

I don't know what is wrong with the digital volume scaling on stuff that it feels like there's an unusual curve on volume changes compared to the volume levels.

Leviathan Song posted:

The human ear perceives loudness on a logarithmic scale:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness

That's why you see sound expressed in decibels. It's actually a logarithmic rather than liner measurement to better reflect how we hear. It's likely that the programmers don't know that and used a linear scale to delineate volume.

No, there are two dumb (business) reasons for this. First, no one actually wants 100 steps as a user. It's mildly usable on a computer or with a touch interface, but it sucks on a remote. So manufacturers either shift all the "usable" volume range into the lower third, or make the volume jump in steps of 5 or something. But if they do the latter, people complain because they can't set the volume to exactly 23.5 or whatever.

The second is headroom. Literally the "this one goes to 11" bit. If you buy a thingie and it's volume goes from 1-10 and you regularly use it at 8, what would happen the day you need to use it at... three steps more? The manufacturer could have made a sensible 1-10 scale, but it "feels" more powerful to the consumer if a whole bunch of steps are added. "See how loud it is, and it's only at 25! Imagine if I turned it all the way to 100%!"

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
also alot of new music is kind of being mastered with not much respect for the recorded dynamics as well, i guess? is that enshittification

we're kind of being cheated out of the good frequencies, they're just providing loudness. lotta bag no chips

i think the rules are thrown out tho

W424
Oct 21, 2010

20 Blunts posted:

also alot of new music is kind of being mastered with not much respect for the recorded dynamics as well, i guess? is that enshittification

we're kind of being cheated out of the good frequencies, they're just providing loudness. lotta bag no chips

i think the rules are thrown out tho

New music as in 20 years ago? The loudness wars were fought in mid nineties to mid 2000

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
KFC also got rid of their potato wedges and now just serves generic fries. They were the only moderately okay thing left on the menu.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

W424 posted:

New music as in 20 years ago? The loudness wars were fought in mid nineties to mid 2000

from what i understand loudness won but now we're trending quieter

so when did you become lovely?

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
why is everything remastered, definitive edition, etc.? just do it right the first time idiots

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Music mastering might be getting quieter again, but I swear almost every new album I listen to is compressed to death and sounds muddy and dull. I guess they want to make sure people listening through their phone speaker or on a lovely little bluetooth speaker hear everything.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Work is closing the building cafe on Fridays and every other day at 2pm. The only place to eat is 10 minutes drive in any direction. There is no vending machines either.

Have fun with everyone leaving the building for 25+ minutes every time they want a coffee, snack or lunch. Productivity is going to hit the roof.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
im guessing your building cafe is done for

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Outrail posted:

Capitism kills everything it touches.

Lost of things piss me off, but people treating houses as investment opportunities instead of homes is right up there. lovely flippers and opportunistic landlords are near the top of the list imo.

That's been the joke about houses where I live for the last decade.

"Wait, you want to LIVE in this thing???"

I recently found out Japan is an interesting counter-example. A combination of very high inheritance tax plus strict building codes due to earthquakes pretty much destroyed the idea of houses as an investment. Old houses lose value and are frequently torn down and replaced. That has some downsides (especially if you feel strongly about architectural preservation) but it's made housing much more affordable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Montague Tigg posted:

why is everything remastered, definitive edition, etc.? just do it right the first time idiots

They did do it right the first time, but how can they make you buy it again if they admit that? :capitalism: