Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Paladinus posted:

What the hell is a linux?

Imagine Windows, but without ads.

That's what Linux was like 10 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

dr_rat posted:

Exorcists are expensive. Can we just, I dunno, leave it locked up in the attic or something?

Put it in jail? Or some kind of cgroup home?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

cruft posted:

Imagine Windows, but without ads.

That's what Linux was like 10 years ago.

linux has ads now?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Cactus Ghost posted:

linux has ads now?

Ubuntu sure does.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

dr_rat posted:

And people trust penguins?

How quickly you all forget!!!!

that's a rooster though

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

cruft posted:

Ubuntu sure does.

isn't it open source? cant the nerds just type some poo poo to kill the ads? i thought this was the operating system for people who customize their vaporizers

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

cruft posted:

Ubuntu sure does.

Where?

I think it offers you some paid support poo poo at install, but it's not like microsoft's START WITH OUR PRODUCTS BECAUSE WE TOTALLY ARE NOT A MONOPOLY >>> (browser) are you sure you want to leave us? :sadclippy: Ah, it is that. Apparently some kind of soft nag of "you could have support with us!", but that's all.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Cactus Ghost posted:

its the free version of windows except it doesn't put that watermark in the corner
Can you recommend a package that puts the watermark back in the corner? I miss it.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

zedprime posted:

Can you recommend a package that puts the watermark back in the corner? I miss it.

We have a nice set of water slide decals for you.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Can Bitcoin run Doom?

drk
Jan 16, 2005

zedprime posted:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

coolusername posted:

Can Bitcoin run Doom?

yes but also no

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw3AUwc7xPM

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

quote:

It does open up a lot of questions about what other types of media could be stored on the bitcoin blockchain

They tried this, you got things made to trip anti viruses, bible verses, and csam

The block chain is already over 500 gb and storing actual things on it would make it grow at an exponential rate lol.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

coolusername posted:

Can Bitcoin run Doom?

Yes. You do a transaction that encodes a keyboard input, then a smart-contract does a transaction encoding a screenshot. You can do almost 0.0008 fps this way.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

Yes. You do a transaction that encodes a keyboard input, then a smart-contract does a transaction encoding a screenshot. You can do almost 0.0008 fps this way.

A few years ago when that twitch plays pokemon thing got big they immediately ripped it off only instead of typing in a chat to play the game you had to send bitcoins to various addresses.

This was as far as it got.

Then someone else tried and got this far

but this one had the added feature of a microphone being on and broadcasting the horrific screams of the PC as it struggled to emulate a game boy.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
wonder if those twitch accounts still exist.

also wonder how many degrees of separation those wallets have to crimes or really really bad crimes.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
You NEVER ever testify at your own criminal trial. SBF lawyers are nuts for even allowing this without quitting on the spot.

So it'll be great. SBF is going to get cocked up on speed like he hasn't done since his rumored 2022 office bouts of "pinning the weasel".

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 26, 2023

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Rad Russian posted:

You NEVER ever testify at your own criminal trial. SBF lawyers are nuts for even allowing this without quitting on the spot.

Juries really like it when the defendant takes the stand, so if you think you're probably going to lose as things stand it can be a reasonable gamble. As long as your client knows how to shut up.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The Lone Badger posted:

Juries really like it when the defendant takes the stand, so if you think you're probably going to lose as things stand it can be a reasonable gamble. As long as your client knows how to shut up.

https://youtu.be/idoYCVLh2qI

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Rad Russian posted:

I thought you do it if you want to create chaos in your trial that can later be basis for appeal.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

zedprime posted:

https://github.com/MrGlockenspiel/activate-linux

3.7k stars, 7 build files, 3 backends, >1000 lines of C

Let's start with activate-linux/Makefile:

# if $CC is not set, guess default `cc'. It has to be in system
CC ?= cc
# compile options
CFLAGS ?= -Os -Wall -Wpedantic -Wextra
# link options
LDFLAGS ?= -s

What is the function of "cc"?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Magissima posted:

https://github.com/MrGlockenspiel/activate-linux

3.7k stars, 7 build files, 3 backends, >1000 lines of C

Let's start with activate-linux/Makefile:

# if $CC is not set, guess default `cc'. It has to be in system
CC ?= cc
# compile options
CFLAGS ?= -Os -Wall -Wpedantic -Wextra
# link options
LDFLAGS ?= -s

What is the function of "cc"?

I think it stands for carbon copy, its what they used to do before photostatic copiers.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Rad Russian posted:

So it'll be great. SBF is going to get cocked up on speed like he hasn't done since his rumored 2022 office bouts of "pinning the weasel".

Do we know if it was the lawyer's idea? One thing Molly was talking about was that legally SBF can choose to take the stand no matter what as defendant.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Salt Fish posted:

Do we know if it was the lawyer's idea? One thing Molly was talking about was that legally SBF can choose to take the stand no matter what as defendant.

Seeing as the judge has been baffled by much of the defence I think SBF has been running it lol. Sam was burning through lawyers until he got to one that would finally listen to him.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

On NPR this morning, they were speculating that maybe the legal team figured they didn't have much to lose by letting him testify. And he does have a track record of being a convincing speaker.

But they then came back to the fact that he's going to be cross examined. And the prosecuting team is not idiots.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Paladinus posted:

Windows but it won’t run what you want unless you have a degree in computer programming

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Thanks for comedy answers, but I checked, and it's just a small hat.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Paladinus posted:

Thanks for comedy answers, but I checked, and it's just a small hat.

Oh now you’ve kicked over the hornets nest. Just wait until the tiny demon and tiny penguin fans show up.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

cruft posted:

On NPR this morning, they were speculating that maybe the legal team figured they didn't have much to lose by letting him testify. And he does have a track record of being a convincing speaker.

Also he gets a +5 bonus to charisma checks if he's paying League of Legends while speaking

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Good quick read

https://www.theverge.com/2023/10/26/23931777/ftx-sam-bankman-fried-prosecution-case-friends-family

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

cruft posted:

But they then came back to the fact that he's going to be cross examined. And the prosecuting team is not idiots.

can't you just refuse to answer any questions during cross?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Cactus Ghost posted:

can't you just refuse to answer any questions during cross?

This is sam, he can't not answer questions, or speak about his crimes unprompted even.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

If you take the stand, you are deemed to have waived your fifth amendment rights at least with respect to the matters you are asked on direct examination, so your cross examination subjects you to a lot of legal danger that you otherwise might have avoided.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Paladinus posted:

it's a hip-hop operating system

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

VitalSigns posted:

Also he gets a +5 bonus to charisma checks if he's paying League of Legends while speaking

so it comes out to a +1 check then

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Boxturret posted:

This is sam, he can't not answer questions, or speak about his crimes unprompted even.

And will repeat over and over how he can fix it, he just needs access back to everything including all the money.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Paladinus posted:

The thing that's taking over your desktop THIS YEAR.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

The thing that's taking over your desktop [(current year)+1].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

quote:

Here’s what to know about the case.
The wait for Sam Bankman-Fried’s testimony will be a little longer.

The judge overseeing the disgraced crypto mogul’s federal criminal trial sent jurors home on Thursday afternoon and opted instead for a hearing to discuss Mr. Bankman-Fried’s pending testimony. The jury will return on Friday.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/10/26/business/sam-bankman-fried-ftx-trial