Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
A user finagled an isometric viewpoint in photo mode and it looks like it would be a great way to play the game.

https://www.reddit.com/gallery/17fzilm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Issaries posted:

How to induce demand for medium and high density residential?
I'm currently at 10k population and only getting low density demand and running out of room to build.
I've build some med and high density earlie, but that was hour ago and there' s no more demand.

The one constant in this game is that it loves suburban sprawl and its appetite cannot be sated

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
some idiot bought a $62 counter-strike skin for $125 from me. so I guess I'm going to buy this game whenever the hold for "irregular sale price" clears. assuming it's basically free money as in my case, is the expensive version worth it or not really clear yet?

I have an i9, 64gb ram, a 12gb 4070, I assume playing this on medium setting should get me like 25fps and heat my home through the holiday season?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

City of Dreams. I tracked the very first person who moved into my city. She moved in, gained some wealth, lost her house, and after a while being homeless she is now leaving. Great success.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

FPyat posted:

A user finagled an isometric viewpoint in photo mode and it looks like it would be a great way to play the game.

https://www.reddit.com/gallery/17fzilm

That's what NewCity (https://store.steampowered.com/app/1067860/NewCity/) had going for it for a while, made for a trippy experience.

Good city builder, shame the creator just kinda went AWOL. Open sourced it to the community recently at least.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I don’t think the non-abstracted citizen commute and life and work are simple fluff that could’ve been skipped.

Yeah game is in a rouch state but I have followed that stuff and it is really neat how traffic and workplaces and commutes change depending your city design. Having that modeled will be far superior to mere abstraction

Abstraction would have never given me a cool scenario where the main firehouse became nigh useless because an intersection segregated it and the response times to the other district became long because the truck navigated traffic nightmare.

Similar to how abstaction would not have given me the ability to place a firehouse on the side of a freeway and it having far faster response to large parts of the city because it navigated on the ring roads smoothly, a real way to plan firehouse responses like on the Beltway.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
The education sim seems slightly borked. My elementary schools are packed with several thousand kids. The high school has like 100 kids in it. College meanwhile is nearing capacity. Maybe all Cims are in the Mensa class of IQ and can leap directly from K-8 straight into college calculus and physics classes.

edit: Also has anyone noticed you don't need to build garbage infrastructure? It mysteriously just vanishes. I see garbage trucks originating from neighbouring cities but I don't seem to be paying for it.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

BigglesSWE posted:

Turning off natural disaster, will that turn off traffic accidents as well?

Traffic accidents (and house fires) will still happen with natural disasters off.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

MikeC posted:

The education sim seems slightly borked. My elementary schools are packed with several thousand kids. The high school has like 100 kids in it. College meanwhile is nearing capacity. Maybe all Cims are in the Mensa class of IQ and can leap directly from K-8 straight into college calculus and physics classes.

edit: Also has anyone noticed you don't need to build garbage infrastructure? It mysteriously just vanishes. I see garbage trucks originating from neighbouring cities but I don't seem to be paying for it.

I suspect this is something that I’ve noticed in other games with a lifecycle: The game Magic’s in uneducated adults who then fill their house with kids. Because you are constantly expanding the city, tons of people have to show up and get elementary education and then make new kids that need elementary education.

On a long enough timescale, you sort of catch up to this and the “magic, uneducated influx of people” slows down and evens out. Or maybe not, and things are tuned in such a way that you can’t ever get ahead. I tend to think something like this is at play because high school is the only tier that clears easy, and if my experience is fairly common, you get the elementary and high school up fast and then have a long while before the college and university make sense. When those go up, you immediately have a ton of people crushing those services too. It makes sense, because you’ve been cooking every possible person in high school and then they have nowhere to go. You’re creating a bottleneck by expanding with uneducated cims and another by delaying putting down the higher education services.

Again might be total bullshit, this is just some observation combined with experience from other similar games with similar systems.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I like that the water physics are broken in a whole new way lol. I had persistent water and I thought I'd try raising the terrain to get rid of it.

Nope!

Wonder if I'm hitting water sources while I expand the size of my island.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Oct 26, 2023

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Can I agriculture my way out of requiring industry or will the demand for dirty industry always be there?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Another thing I've noticed: I think early commercial doubles down on textiles, furniture, and petrochemicals (gas stations.) I got that wave of "No customers" and went through and selectively deleted duplicate goods providers near each other and it cleared up when they refilled in new businesses. I think they need to tune those businesses to leave so that more profitable ones show up.

This also helped me get more demand in higher density residential, I think?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I'm not completely sure but I think that the reason some nights are pitch black and others aren't is aurora borealis. If you tilt your camera up you can see it regardless of what Skinner says, and it is bright as gently caress.

I'm enjoying the game so far and there are a lot of things I am liking, but drat there really are a lot of valid criticisms at the same time.

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

Running a RTX 3060 and with the recommendations from this thread and running at 1440p, I'm not really having any problems.

There are definitely some things I could criticize about the game, but I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Not sure I'd buy it if it wasn't on game pass, though.

My main issue is trying to switch my brain damage over from Workers and Resources mode, and just have fun building. Also trying to remind myself not to always zone to full depths, so that there's some variation in plot size...

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

MikeC posted:

Same issue here, I have 3 elementary schools where they are packed in like sardines, then 150 high school students from the entire city.

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
Regardless of its issues - and they’re definitely there - CS2 has pulled off the most important thing, which is that yet again, I have fallen victim to the following series of events:

- oh I’ll just play for a bit now I’m home from work
- oh I have to sleep in like an hour and a half I should wrap this up
- oh poo poo that’s my time-to-go-to-sleep alarm and I’m still playing

So I can’t say there isn’t something that’s working here.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I've never played the first and play this one game pass so no money invested, but drat I'm hooked. Spent all evening yesterday figuring out how the systems work and time flew by.

Gotta restart tho, I made a ton of mistakes, I also thought "this is easy" at a few hundred people and once I reached 2k went "why is my city full of cars why is noone using the trams why are all these businesses complaining why did I build the city dump up wind".

Great fun so far and it's running okay on my 3070 and 5800x3d in 2k.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Some of the potential bugs I've found after building a city with 100k inhabitants:

- Number of eligible high school students is way too low
- Not even 25% of eligible college and university students actually go there, even if there is enough space available
- It doesn't seem to matter if garbage is collected from zoned buildings, only service buildings show a different color then green in the overview
- Resource badges never produce the amount that is shown when you set the working area, maybe I need several specialized industry buildings on a resource node but there's just no info what a specific building is doing
- The subway upgrade for the passenger train station is broken, no passengers can reach it and no outside traffic is generated when you send a train there
- Commercial businesses in my city complain about no customers while the RCI bar, for commercial, is full
- Train stations don't export to outside connections even though the product is listed for pickup in the line overview
- Fire stations don't always send out vehicles, most of the time a fire truck arrives from the neighboring town when the building's burned down and everybody still inside is dead
- If you zoom in on a train station that has a few 100 passengers waiting the game slows down to a crawl because it renders everyone, even though they are inside the building and you can't see them...
- Tram boarding can take so long that the game thinks it's a traffic jam and despawns the vehicle, and all other Trams waiting behind, the passengers go back to the tram stop and make boarding take even longer

lagidnam fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Oct 26, 2023

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Grand Fromage posted:

What's wrong with providing a free municipal swimming poo?

fixed

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

lagidnam posted:

- Resource badges never produce the amount that is shown when you set the working area, maybe I need several specialized industry buildings on a resource node but there's just no info what a specific building is doing

The game in general is full of info views and tooltips that tell you nothing useful

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

I like that the water physics are broken in a whole new way lol. I had persistent water and I thought I'd try raising the terrain to get rid of it.

Nope!

Wonder if I'm hitting water sources while I expand the size of my island.

experienced this yesterday, reloading the game fixed it, but next time I'm just gonna make it into a park and call it wet mountain

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

lagidnam posted:

- Commercial businesses in my city complain about no customers while the RCI bar, for commercial, is full

Coworker linked me to this article talking about some fixes for commercial zoning complaints. The second city I started, I followed the recommendations accidentally by blending my commercial into my residential areas and not creating large blocks of commercial, and so far things are going better. I still think its broken though lol

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/17gv2y8/the_potential_of_this_is_insane/

why the game doesn't snap these areas to the road automatically is one of life's greatest mysteries

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Commercial being dependent on proximity to customers makes a lot of sense to me. Large isolated commercial developments have been having a hard time IRL as well.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Based on what I've seen in my city, the commercial building icon for not enough customers appears to just stay on forever if it has that condition at any time. So if you're carefully placing small areas of commercial near to customers and only in times of significant demand, you'll never trigger the insufficient customers condition and the icon won't be stuck there.

Not saying this is definitely what's happening, just that I've seen nothing in my game to contradict it

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

City of Dreams. I tracked the very first person who moved into my city. She moved in, gained some wealth, lost her house, and after a while being homeless she is now leaving. Great success.

this is what happens when you set your city as American type

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

buglord posted:

Can I agriculture my way out of requiring industry or will the demand for dirty industry always be there?

It is exceptionally space-inefficient from the test that I did. A very large farm, regardless of type, might employ 50 people using the same foot print that might fit 6 or 7 factories and warehouses which will employ 3 to 4 times that. Most farms also only employ Uneducated or Poorly educated Cims meaning educated cims (which even elementary school gets you) under employed. Other resource extractors do require education though. For example, oil extraction in my city suffers because I delayed building a college so about 1/4 of the jobs went unfilled.

edit: But it does look good. Arguably more "realistic" than a random cluster of heavy industry sitting off an interchange for no reason.

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!
Whoever posted the link to the City Planner Plays tutorial, thank you! This guy is an amazing communicator. Also immediately hooked as soon as he laid out the different grid sizes of different real world cities before building a single thing. I knew Salt Lake City was an example of planned grid city but had no idea how insanely big they were.

Edit: It seems he some kind of relationship with CO as an influencer, but clearly they need to hire him as a design consultant. The grid tool would be so much more useful and cooler if you could choose a preset like some of those real world grids.

Snowmanatee fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 26, 2023

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

New patch dropped: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/patch-notes-for-1-0-11f1-hotfix.1604140/

https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/17gxkrf/patch_notes_for_1011f1_hotfix/

quote:

Changed LOD to be independent of rendering resolution to get more consistent performance with high resolutions
Minor optimization with fog
Depth of field optimizations and tweaks
Global illumination tweaks
Optimized stutters when buildings spawn/level up
Optimized various stutters across all systems
Fixed crash after upgrading wind turbine
Fixed crash when car crashes into still hidden car with trailer
Fixed crash with mesh loading (that happens with low settings mostly)

People on the reddit thread so far seem to say their fps.......doubled after it? 👀

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Snowmanatee posted:

Whoever posted the link to the City Planner Plays tutorial, thank you! This guy is an amazing communicator. Also immediately hooked as soon as he laid out the different grid sizes of different real world cities before building a single thing. I knew Salt Lake City was an example of planned grid city but had no idea how insanely big they were.

Edit: It seems he some kind of relationship with CO as an influencer, but clearly they need to hire him as a design consultant. The grid tool would be so much more useful and cooler if you could choose a preset like some of those real world grids.

The salt lake city design makes me want a way to designate empty terrain that isn't connected to a road as a functional green space or playground or whatever you want to call it. I'm sure it would break things some because it makes the designated playground structures obsolete but if you could at least make those playgrounds accessible without a path then that would be great.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
Do they let you easily swap a one-way roads direction in this one? The mod for CS1 saved my life, much easier to draw from whichever connection is already aligned and then reverse it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I’ve heard you choose the replace tool and drag the road in the opposite direction.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I’ve heard you choose the replace tool and drag the road in the opposite direction.

yea this, but its kinda clunky and click intensive.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

piratepilates posted:

quote:

Fixed crash when car crashes into still hidden car with trailer

hehe

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

Elendil004 posted:

For the love of god just let me copter around my city, drive an ambulance or police car to calls, walk around, etc. Cmon!

Dude yes.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I can't say for sure if my FPS doubled, but it definitely is a marked improvement. My city isn't huge yet but I can actually run it on high LOD for the moment and maintain ~40 fps. (3080)

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I can't tax single family zoning and drive folks into denser buildings right?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Elendil004 posted:

I can't tax single family zoning and drive folks into denser buildings right?

Unfortunately nope. Residential taxation is based on education level for some reason.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
This game is so good it even simulates MAGA types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
This joke is apparently going way over my head