Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I was actually gonna ask - can you actually laminate or something the Skull disks to protect them? I'm terrified of them getting scratched to the point I just proxy them despite having the actual game sitting on my shelf lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Just use the skull tokens until they wear out, and then replace them with new proxies. Problem solved.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
I play Skull using whatever random cards I have to hand. Often that's Cockroach Poker or regular cards. I really should just buy a copy though, it's much nicer.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
Yea just proxy it with ordinary playing cards. Then you can sleeve those.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
The skull tokens are the entire contents of Skull. Just get a second copy of the game to act as proxies for the first copy of the game and replace them when they wear out.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Ubik_Lives posted:

The skull tokens are the entire contents of Skull. Just get a second copy of the game to act as proxies for the first copy of the game and replace them when they wear out.

Importing another copy's like $60-70 or so last time I checked, between shipping and taxes, since no one distributes it here. And that's assuming it's in stock at one of the like 15 stores worldwide that ship to Argentina :sigh:
Honestly just making a new set from scratch sounds like the most viable solution, I can always just keep the actual components for when there's new players yeah

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I made a version out of some poker chips i got off ebay and it's held up for several years.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I use actual skulls it's tough to keep my hand secret but worth it for the immersion

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I dunno my copy of Skull is pretty scuffed but the discs are pretty durable so I like it just as a well loved game. Less disruptive to gameplay than creased and scuffed cards

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I love skull but most of my friends don't sadly. I try to tempt them with the fact that it's a good drinking game

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Played it with some cards and bottle caps to track score. Busted it out for the family during Thanksgiving break and everyone went gah-gah over it for the next few days playing for hours at a time. Everyone was drunk and/or high which helps a lot

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

iceyman posted:

I disagree with a several points of that video. The whole video kinda rubbed me the wrong way in condescending tone and felt kinda elitist tbh. Haha, stop buying games. A true boardgamer must only own 4 games all published before 2007! But I guess controversial opinions gets them clicks.

The point they were making was that everyone has their own unique preferences when it comes to board games, and you should tailor your collection to those preferences
Once you know your preferences you can focus on picking up poo poo that you know works for your table, and researching older titles might turn up hidden gems that work REALLY well for your table.

For example the one game I really want to pick up is Lords of Vegas. I know my table will love it to death, but I'm only aware of that because I know my collection really well and I don't have a lot of fat to it.
Past that... there really isn't anything I 'need' to add to my collection, but if I want a new game I'd be able to do my research better.

Unfortunately the downside of 'learning your preferences' is that developing it is going to take some time.

Aston posted:

I made a version out of some poker chips i got off ebay and it's held up for several years.

This sounds like you could make a super portable version of it that way, moreso than it already is.

Got any pics?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Everyone was drunk and/or high which helps a lot

this is the secret

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coe/tiny-epic-crimes-with-red-reveal/posts/3943633

Apparently a shipment of Tiny Epic Crimes went missing and was discovered stolen and trying to be hawked on Facebook Marketplace. Those Gencon thieves might have competition for stupidest trad game crime of 2023.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
These marketing schemes are getting out of hand

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

to bring it back to board game café chat for a little while, I recently got back from a few week’s vacation in vietnam. given the primarily inclement forecast for the entire country, the weather was surprisingly excellent wherever we were throughout, except for the first few days in hanoi and the last few days in saigon, during which my partner and I spent some indoor hours in a few game cafés.

First was The Keep Cafe & Boardgame, located on a side street of a side street in a japanese expat-heavy neighbourhood south of ho tay lake. The business model here was 10000 dong (~.41 cents USD) hourly per person, with a wide selection of beverages and a small selection of food available to order. the game collection was modest, populated with almost exclusively very recent games, with very few titles published before 2015 save the expected Catan/Carc/et al. the staff we interacted with were all very knowledgeable and capable of teaching games in english. we didn’t have direct access to the collection, but rather requested games from a menu which an employee then recovered from storage upstairs.

This was one of the most premium-feeling game spaces I’ve ever played at. the theme might’ve been a little hokey for our jaded western sensibilities (medieval fantasy - suits of armour prominently displayed, lute.mp3 as background music, tunics as uniforms for the staff, etc.) but the production values were up there. the tables were covered with faux-leather toppers and had pull-out trays for our beverages, the games were meticulously sleeved, baggied, and plano boxed, and the decor served well to sell the whole deal.

We learned and played Unmatched: Cobble and Fog, which is a perfectly serviceable card-and-mini based skirmish game for 2 or 4 with strong theming (our first game was Sherlock Holmes vs. Dr Jeckyll, and our second the Invisible Man vs. Dracula), and Kohaku, which was a mediocre tile-layer that was a little too solitaire and point salady for our liking.

A few days later we visited The Root Board Game Cafe, in the bustling commercial district east of thong nhat park. finding the place was a little tricky as it involved following some spartan signage up a flight of alley stairs, which we initially thought were the wrong ones because there was a woman on the landing washing someone else’s hair. she just smiled at us so we kept going up, and there it was.

This place wasn’t as polished as The Keep, with everything just a little bit more well-used and the space a lot less cohesively decorated, but it had two things over the aforementioned: a nice, wide, covered balcony (with tables and ashtrays, which would have been pretty wong kar-wai feeling to smoke and play xiangqi by neon light on on a rainy evening) and resident cats.

Business model was interesting - the price was per game, with the rental fee varying dependant on the size and complexity of the title, and then a decent selection of small-box games that were free to play provided we rented at least one game. once rented we could play a title for as long as we wanted with as many people as we liked. selection was good, with a few more pre-2015 games on offer. they also served a wider array of food and drinks than The Keep did.

We were suggested and taught the Daviau-designed Stranger Things in english by one of the staff members, which cost 20k dong to rent. while we had to recheck a few things in the rulebook afterward, his teach was confident and cohesive. apparently we were the first two people including staff to have successfully cleared even the season one scenario. I wouldn’t call it a particularly replayable co-op but it was perfect for a game café play. we also played the magnet-based dexterity game Kluster and a locally-designed game called No! which was a push-your-luck bluffing game about trying to eat as healthy as possible. It was not good with two people bu had potential as a big-group party game. There was a group playing their Frosthaven campaign there for the duration of our stay.

The last place we visited was Board Game Station, on the other side of the country and of our vacation, in the south of Saigon’s massive District 1. Of the three, this had the least exceptional service; the guy we interacted with was friendly enough but not warm and social like at the previous two places. he also didn’t know the game we were trying to learn. it’s understandable, as saigon is a much larger and much faster city than the rest of vietnam. business model here was 59k dong (~$2.40 USD) to play as much as we wanted, with one drink included. (worth mentioning here that all of the beverages we drank at these places were excellent.) food options were the most limited here, primarily consisting of dry snacks and cup noodles. (we didn’t eat at any of these places, because there was amazing food around every corner.)

this was also the least idyllic environment of the places we played at, as it appeared to be a former vacant lot between two buildings that someone had built a narrow five-story partially-open structure on, but was nevertheless a good time, mosquitoes aside, primarily because we kept playing with the shop’s resident cats. since it was torrential outside there was a trickle of water running down one of the walls which one of the cats was drinking, despite their water dish being a few meters away. the game library was the most worn-out of the three, but was also twice the size of the other places.

we played two games of Beer & Bread, which was a light and competitive two-player only multi-use card optimization game with shades of splendor that we liked well enough, and another game of Unmatched, this time with the Legends II box (Bloody Mary vs. Sun Wukong).

overall it felt as if vietnam had a nascent but passionate and growing board game scene; speaking to the staff at the establishments it seemed the common story was young vietnamese studying abroad in europe or north america coming back with a love for the hobby and a sizeable personal collection and deciding to open a place up. Both hanoi and saigon have close to a dozen game cafes that all seem to do well enough to coexist; it seems as if there’s a perfect storm of low rent, low cost of living, comparatively high wages for western-facing work, engaged milieu of locals, expats, and tourists, and laissez-faire policies with regards to cats being in the same spaces as food and beverage service that allow the scene to thrive.

also based on my conversations and observations, the most popular games in vietnam are social deduction games (werewolf, cash & guns, blood on the clocktower), halli galli, and exploding kittens, but surprisingly Keyforge seemed to be gigantic and ubiquitous there, with it being the only card game I saw actively sold at places and organized play advertised at both The Root and The Keep. that can be attributed to a strong localization endeavour and a comparatively low cost of entry.

great country, I already miss it. paid $22 CAD for a bowl of ramen today and cried a little.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
A board game and cat cafe combo is some mad genius level trolling

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

That's an awesome trip report, thanks for posting it!

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
fantastic stuff, love those pictures. LOL at The Root Board Game Cafe having a giant Root poster in it.

Playing as the mice in Root at that board game cafe gives me the vibes of that reddit guy who went on a quest to play Bruges in Bruges

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Hopefully while also watching In Bruges.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

panko posted:

great country, I already miss it. paid $22 CAD for a bowl of ramen today and cried a little.

Looking forward to your write-up on the local games you bought as well.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

panko posted:

to bring it back to board game café chat for a little while, I recently got back from a few week’s vacation in vietnam. given the primarily inclement forecast for the entire country, the weather was surprisingly excellent wherever we were throughout, except for the first few days in hanoi and the last few days in saigon, during which my partner and I spent some indoor hours in a few game cafés.

That's neat to get a peek at the different business models and how they work there.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Half of Vietnam's population is under age 25 so yeah that tracks

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
My hot takes:

1) I think JoCo 1E is better than 2E.

2) Sleeving board games in top shelf sleeves ala Dragonshields is insane overkill, but I think there is definitely room for sleeving decks that get repeatedly shuffled in the sleeves in the 60-100 micron range because they are comparably well priced and

3) for a board game cafe to be successful it needs to sell alcohol. I suspect it also needs to sell food you would eat even if you weren't playing a board game.

The local board game cafe has stuck around because it sells beer and does good pub food as well ad trivia etc

Not really a hot take, but for the guy worried about Skull, the best solution is to varnish the cardboard, it's cheaper than sleeves by a lot, assuming you have something to do with a giant tub of varnish. You'll need several applications as the cardboard is quite absorbent. Gloss is a lot more protective than matt, if you think gloss looks terrible, coat it with gloss until it's done then hit it with matt.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
They are reprinting Cave Evil: https://store.cave-evil.com/products/cave-evil-13-year-anniversary-edition-preorder-99-20-usa-shipping

That’s been a grail game for some for close to a decade now. I remember almost splurging for it when I first started the hobby. I’m not really interested in it anymore, but cool that they managed to reprint it.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I was kinda interested in it as a curiosity. But it's nearly 300 Australian dollars which is pretty impossible to justify for something I'd probably never or very rarely play.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

My hot takes:

1) I think JoCo 1E is better than 2E.

2) Sleeving board games in top shelf sleeves ala Dragonshields is insane overkill, but I think there is definitely room for sleeving decks that get repeatedly shuffled in the sleeves in the 60-100 micron range because they are comparably well priced and

3) for a board game cafe to be successful it needs to sell alcohol. I suspect it also needs to sell food you would eat even if you weren't playing a board game.

The local board game cafe has stuck around because it sells beer and does good pub food as well ad trivia etc

Not really a hot take, but for the guy worried about Skull, the best solution is to varnish the cardboard, it's cheaper than sleeves by a lot, assuming you have something to do with a giant tub of varnish. You'll need several applications as the cardboard is quite absorbent. Gloss is a lot more protective than matt, if you think gloss looks terrible, coat it with gloss until it's done then hit it with matt.

Can you explain your JoCo take in detail for the class, please.

Megasabin posted:

They are reprinting Cave Evil: https://store.cave-evil.com/products/cave-evil-13-year-anniversary-edition-preorder-99-20-usa-shipping

That’s been a grail game for some for close to a decade now. I remember almost splurging for it when I first started the hobby. I’m not really interested in it anymore, but cool that they managed to reprint it.

This looks really cool but definitely a novelty. Has anyone here played it and can weigh in on its merits? Is it actually fun and playable or is this another dust collector that eventually becomes a collector's item?

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 28, 2023

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Megasabin posted:

finally, the whole reason I've been on their mailing list

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
$99 + $50 Shipping (Canada / Mexico) = $210 :pusheen:

And USA 99 + 20 = $168.00

I don't get it, I'm missing something I'm sure.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Megasabin posted:

I've had the original printing for a long time. It's hilariously weird and just about the most Ameritrash a game could ever be. I love it to bits.

FulsomFrank posted:

This looks really cool but definitely a novelty. Has anyone here played it and can weigh in on its merits? Is it actually fun and playable or is this another dust collector that eventually becomes a collector's item?

It's aggressively weird but quite playable. You freeform dig tunnels in the CAVE EVIL, trying to amass resources and denizens for your NEKROMANTIK ARMY OF DOOM, so eventually you can face off and defeat the big bad in the middle of the map. There is PVP combat. It's not a terribly complex game, and it is gloriously silly. Don't expect a polished, balanced euro experience, and the death metal aesthetic does make things difficult at times, but it's worth the pain.

The End fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 28, 2023

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

FulsomFrank posted:

Can you explain your JoCo take in detail for the class, please.

I think the map of India really improves the gameby giving people a visual reference for things, but everything else (including all the rules for using the map of India) adds a lot of complexity but doesn't really make the gameplay any better.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

The Eyes Have It posted:

$99 + $50 Shipping (Canada / Mexico) = $210 :pusheen:

And USA 99 + 20 = $168.00

I don't get it, I'm missing something I'm sure.

More expensive and more overhead to ship out of country probably? Also smaller markets and other normal economic forces.

Wheeler W Wetherby
Sep 30, 2004

• Has an O-level in camel-hygiene
  • Can count up to 4

FulsomFrank posted:

Dan Thurot’s review got me intrigued. $120+ intrigued? I’ll have to think about it.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Completely sleeving a boardgame in dragonshields would be overkill, i agree - but you might have like 20 to to 100 cards out of a whole game that want to be sleeved in something like a dragonshield, assuming you plan to play it more than ten times.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Pvt. Parts posted:

More expensive and more overhead to ship out of country probably? Also smaller markets and other normal economic forces.

No I mean the math (or rather, arithmetic) doesn't add up.

99 + 50 isn't 210, etc

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

The Eyes Have It posted:

No I mean the math (or rather, arithmetic) doesn't add up.

99 + 50 isn't 210, etc

Oh lmao

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

While you're at it, why not check out the curated selection of items offered and sold out in their store, such as Jeff Davis: The Confederacy At War, Don't Tread on Me, and The Misson by that guy who got banned from BGG for Islamophobia, or the Told You So shirt featuring monkeys in line to the evil WHO-run Camp Health sponsored by Pfizer.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Impermanent posted:

Completely sleeving a boardgame in dragonshields would be overkill, i agree - but you might have like 20 to to 100 cards out of a whole game that want to be sleeved in something like a dragonshield, assuming you plan to play it more than ten times.

Yeah my view is even for the heaviest of shuffling (e.g. the attack modifier deck in gloomhaven, or your cards in Valley of the Kings or whatever), the step down in sleeve thickness (e.g Paladins or whatever) is perfectly fine. Even after 30+ plays of Valley of the kings and like..90 of Gloomhaven I maybe had two splits.

You shuffle a MTG deck a lot more often and a type 2 deck is probably touching 200 USD so I see the use case for that, but for a boardgame it's never worth it IMHO, given the Dragonshields cost 50% more.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Thick sleeves are slightly impractical if the game involves a giant single deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Please don't put the idea of sleeving Frosthaven combat cards in my head