Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

sullat posted:

Yeah he used his connections in the war office to get his son moved to the front lines because he didn't want his kid to miss out on the glorious upcoming battle (he was too young at the time you had to be 19 to go overseas and the kid was 17) and the kid got killed on the first day of the Somme. Talk about a whoopsie-doodle, which did make Kipling a bit more introspective. However looking at his earlier stuff is definitely an peek inside the mindset of an Imperialist and how they manage to otherize the colonials.

Not just to young. His son's eyesight was really bad as well. He was last seen by other soldiers stumbling blindly in the mud of no man's land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Killing Jelq
Jun 13, 2012

The Oldest Man posted:

Lol'd at "We identified a problem and the solution is for the DoD to behave more like a private company"

Ah, the dynamism of free enterprise

“Ars posted:

In a conference call with analysts on Wednesday, Boeing's chief executive, David Calhoun, and chief financial officer, Brian West, expressed disappointment in these results from the defense and space division. They reiterated their goal of returning the company's defense and space businesses to profitability by the 2025 to 2026 period.

Notably, the pair pinned the blame for performance by its defense and space division, referred to internally as BDS, on fixed-price contracts. As the BDS division seeks a return to profitability, West said Boeing will not be using fixed-price contracts anymore.

https://arstechnica.com/space/2023/10/boeing-says-it-cant-make-money-with-fixed-price-contracts/

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

It's been like two decades since I read Starship Troopers but I recall the plot being a bit similar to that. The main imperial troops were a special forces / terrorist unit that would insert into places and sneak around wrecking poo poo and causing mayhem until the locals agreed to whatever political situation. Then the bugs show up and you can't terrorize them into submission so they had to learn to fight properly again. Pretty similar to today's imperial troops.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
It’s one gun Michael what could it cost? A billion dollars?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Zadok Allen posted:

Raised By Wolves’ cancellation was criminal. All 5 seasons were already written and they still cancelled it because apparently it wasn’t getting GoT numbers.

Fuckers.

raised by wolves was ok, but it didn’t have any characters i remember from my childhood.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good news for people who are looking forward to World War 3 - Joe "Genocide-Lovin" Biden is actively trying to provoke a third front with China, on-top of the US's existing proxy wars with Russia and with Hamas / Hezbollah / Syria / Iran.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-10-26/biden-warns-china-not-to-attack-philippine-ships-after-incidents?embedded-checkout=true

Biden Warns China Not to Attack Philippine Ships After Incidents
By Philip Heijmans
October 26, 2023 at 2:33 AM UTC

President Joe Biden warned China that the US would be forced to intervene if Beijing attacks Philippine vessels in the South China Sea, after two separate collisions in the disputed waterway over the weekend.

“Just this past week, the PRC vessels acted dangerously and unlawfully as our Philippine friends conducted a routine resupply mission within their own exclusive economic zone in the South China Sea,” Biden said at the White House on Wednesday during a joint news conference with Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese.

“I want to be very clear: The United States’ defense commitment to the Philippines is ironclad,” he said. “Any attack on the Filipino aircraft, vessels, or armed forces will invoke our Mutual Defense Treaty with the Philippines.”

A China Coast Guard vessel collided with a Philippines-contracted resupply boat early Sunday as it made its way to a rusting World War II-era ship grounded in Second Thomas Shoal more than two decades ago. Two hours later, a Chinese maritime militia boat ran into a Philippine coast guard ship during the same operation to deliver supplies.

The remarks from the US president come as Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi visits Washington this week for high-level meetings, including one with Biden on Friday. Meetings are also scheduled with Secretary of State Antony Blinken and National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan as the US and China continue a series of diplomatic engagements intended to manage tensions.

Wang’s trip is seen as part of an effort that could lay the groundwork for a Biden-Xi meeting next month in California.

China has repeatedly urged the Philippines to remove the ship known as the BRP Sierra Madre that it said was “illegally” and “deliberately” ran aground at the shoal — a move Manila took in response to China’s occupation of nearby Mischief Reef. Beijing also considers Second Thomas Shoal, which it calls Ren’ai Jiao, as part of its territory.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

fizzy posted:

Good news for people who are looking forward to World War 3 - Joe "Genocide-Lovin" Biden is actively trying to provoke a third front with China, on-top of the US's existing proxy wars with Russia and with Hamas / Hezbollah / Syria / Iran.

Oh for the love of gently caress... seriously?

We need a brave party of high level adventurers to go on a quest to find his phylactery and destroy it.

im_sorry has issued a correction as of 07:15 on Oct 26, 2023

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I crave it like I never craved anything before.

Everyone and everywhere please immediately throw everything you have and destroy America entirely.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
shut up

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Everyone and everywhere please immediately throw everything you have and destroy America entirely.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
push over your file cabinet right now and dent the side

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Frosted Flake posted:

ee: Nobody has produced a gun as light and cheap as the OTO-Melara Mod 56 (L5 :canada:) in literally a generation. I feel like I'm slowly going crazy watching "gun" and "thing that tows gun" become projects that balloon to F-35 proportions.

look pal, gun get big, defense contractor paycheck get big, general's dilz get big, and after all are these not the important things here?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

we could try holding our arms up goku spirit bomb style

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Picture of health nothing to worry about. Buy long term bonds and all that stuff.

Also the time to think about new real estate holiday homes in certain remote parts of the world was a decade ago. If you didn't already then you're probably staying where you are, so settle in for the long haul.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Tempora Mutantur posted:

thank you and holy poo poo it's better than I remember

https://www.baen.com/Chapters/1439133476/1439133476___5.htm

It's also got infallible AI! Civilian contractors! Irreplaceable superweapons destroyed by cheap swarms! Blows my mind that it's from 70 years ago and not 7.

quote:

The Battle Analyzer would change all this by replacing the operations staff with electronic calculators. The idea was not new, in theory, but until now it had been no more than a Utopian dream. Many of us found it difficult to believe that it was still anything but a dream: after we had run through several very complex dummy battles, however, we were convinced.

quote:

The Analyzer contained just short of a million vacuum tubes and needed a team of five hundred technicians to maintain and operate it. It was quite impossible to accommodate the extra staff aboard a battleship, so each of the four units had to be accompanied by a converted liner to carry the technicians not on duty. Installation was also a very slow and tedious business, but by gigantic efforts it was completed in six months.

quote:

In the next engagement, the enemy used his superior numbers to launch an overwhelming attack on the Analyzer ship and its unarmed consort. The attack was made without regard to losses—both ships were, of course, very heavily protected—and it succeeded. The result was the virtual decapitation of the Fleet, since an effectual transfer to the old operational methods proved impossible. We disengaged under heavy fire, and so lost all our gains and also the systems of Lormyia, Ismarnus, Beronis, Alphanidon and Sideneus.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Regarde Aduck posted:

we could try holding our arms up goku spirit bomb style

i think its working already

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

ClassActionFursuit posted:

I understand the mechanisms for how we, the US, got here but maybe FF can fill me in, was it always this way? How were imperial adventures sold to the citizenry of the British Empire? Did they bother? Did they even suffer the humiliating losses that would require them to be justified? I mean, they obviously lost the American colonies so I can think of at least once that something would have to have been said...

it was fun and games - focused on slights-of-honour and ginned up support wrt patriotism focusing on professional classes iirc. AKA liberals.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Frosted Flake posted:

It's complicated because there is an "American" Kipling and a "Commonwealth" Kipling. I would imagine there is a Rest of World Kipling as well. White Man's Burden and Recessional are two sides of the same coin, where our Empire's failings were recognized - Kipling was a harsh critic - but there was hope that the emerging power across the sea would make good on the lessons learned.

That Empire should exist was unquestioned by him, but how Empire existed was something he never turned away from. Even in the case of the Burma Wars, Kipling was never under any illusion about how things were proceeding on the North-East Frontier.

I could also throw up a bibliography if there's interest, my shelves sag under books about Kipling and his world, but I think the American idea of Kipling comes from not having experienced the epigenetic trauma of Black Week and the First Day on the Somme.

Kipling's butthurt was specifically directed at british liberals who were being way too forward with letting the natives do self governance. Love the man's writing but he had the love for a style of indian peasant that was the equivalent to the happy slave in the antebellum south. He was the epitome of the british empire - a literary Henry Kissinger. All his great works and honors aside the man lived just long enough to see the existence of the USSR light a fire under the skirts of his precious empire.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

lol I skipped like 2000 posts to post this.

fresh out of college my first job was at Boeing, in their BDS division, before I became completely disillusioned that America had any capacity to do anything but spread ruin and misery through the world and quit. Every project I worked on was over budget and behind schedule. they were all fat cost-plus contracts run so poorly it shocked even my fresh-out-of-school self.

beyond the graft and incompetence and complete incentive misalignment that is obvious in contracts that are effectively blank checks, there was this pervasive institutional rot throughout. back in the day, Boeing actually built poo poo, at least according to the old timers I worked with. but then they had the bright idea that they’d be “integrators” instead: be the head contractor, then split the contract up into tons of subcontracts, farm the work out, and put all the pieces together. so they bled themselves of talent and institutional knowledge. and now apparently they’re so loving stupid and withered that their c-suite thinks it’s a good idea to straight up admit that they’re incapable of delivering anything to the contractual timeline and budget.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

This also reminded me; I briefly worked for their commercial aircraft division. A lot of people had stickers on their backpacks and flight bags with the old “If it’s not Boeing, I’m not going!” slogan.

Nowadays when I travel I always make sure to check that I’m not gonna be on a 737-Max lol

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

dads friend steve posted:

Nowadays when I travel I always make sure to check that I’m not gonna be on a 737-Max lol

I thought most of the remaining 737 max customers ponied up for the override nosedive DLC that they made available?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

OhFunny posted:

Not just to young. His son's eyesight was really bad as well. He was last seen by other soldiers stumbling blindly in the mud of no man's land.
drat it's too bad nobody told Rudyard Kipling that people sometimes die in wars

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

ClassActionFursuit posted:

I thought most of the remaining 737 max customers ponied up for the override nosedive DLC that they made available?

Boeing had to pay for all retrofits themselves. MCAS now factors in both available sensors, only trims down the nose once instead of repatedly activating and also has an indicator for all planes activated that shows AOA disagreements, which was a former "DLC"

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Junkozeyne posted:

Boeing had to pay for all retrofits themselves. MCAS now factors in both available sensors, only trims down the nose once instead of repatedly activating and also has an indicator for all planes activated that shows AOA disagreements, which was a former "DLC"

Well....

quote:

Congressional leaders reached an agreement early Tuesday morning on an end-of-year government spending bill that includes an amendment to give Boeing the clearance it needs to get its 737 MAX 7 and MAX 10 jets certified without further changes.

The amendment ensures a deadline included in legislation passed in 2020 does not apply to the MAX 7 and MAX 10 models that have yet to enter service.

Absent that waiver, past the deadline, the Federal Aviation Administration could not certify those two planes to fly passengers without an extensive design upgrade to the systems that alert the crew when something goes wrong in flight.

While the crew-alerting system upgrade won’t be required, the language in the new bill includes a condition proposed earlier this month by U.S. Sen. Maria Cantwell that will require all airlines to retrofit two specific safety enhancements.

Boeing developed those enhancements for the MAX 10. The bill requires them to be retrofitted to the MAX 7 and to the two earlier models already certified and in service, the MAX 8 and MAX 9 jets.

The amendment gives Boeing three years after the MAX 10 is certified to retrofit those safety enhancements to all models of the MAX, after which none can be operated without them.

The bill requires Boeing to bear the cost of the retrofits.

The legislative step provides relief to Boeing, which had lobbied hard for an amendment to avoid considerable additional costs and delay in getting the MAX 7 and MAX 10 into service.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

sorry I didn’t mean to derail the tread with that anecdote, just provide a bit of personal flavor on how absolutely hollowed out Boeing is

Anyway, I’m sure the CEO’s faux pas in admitting the only way they’ve made money in their defense contracts was by low-balling the bids and then making bank on cost and schedule overruns will spark swift investigation into defense contractors’ governance and accountability lmao

dads friend steve has issued a correction as of 17:01 on Oct 26, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cerebral Bore posted:

look pal, gun get big, defense contractor paycheck get big, general's dilz get big, and after all are these not the important things here?

The Rube Goldberg knock on effects of our increasingly large and heavy lightweight guns are obscene, is the thing. It's only a matter of time before we have a Chinook crash or some other major accident on the airmobile artillery course, for example. Sling loading the 777 was all fine and good in theory, but more and more poo poo keeps getting added onto them. There's no way to sling load the gigantic gun tractors required to tow them, even without the armour kits.

So at the end of the day, at enormous risk, you have successfully transported a gun by helicopter that is too large for the crews to manhandle.

On paper, however, it is as airmobile as the guns a fraction of its size and weight it replaced, so the doctrine is unchanged, and I guess you might see orders for a battery to move by sling loading, to support an airmobile lift of a brigade, and the whole thing will end in tears. That's one of a dozen examples of this sort of thing happening as our capabilities on paper collide with the MIC grift.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 18:19 on Oct 26, 2023

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Calhoun

quote:

In 2020, Boeing had a historically bad year, reporting a $12 billion loss and laying off 30,000 workers. At the same time, Calhoun earned $21.1 million in compensation.

:lmao:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

The Rube Goldberg knock on effects of our increasingly large and heavy lightweight guns are obscene, is the thing. It's only a matter of time before we have a Chinook crash or some other major accident on the airmobile artillery course, for example. Sling loading the 777 was all fine and good in theory, but more and more poo poo keeps getting added onto them. There's no way to sling load the gigantic gun tractors required to tow them, even without the armour kits.

So at the end of the day, at enormous risk, you have successfully transported a gun by helicopter that is too large for the crews to manhandle.

On paper, however, it is as airmobile as the guns a fraction of its size and weight it replaced, so the doctrine is unchanged, and I guess you might see orders for a battery to move by sling loading, to support an airmobile lift of a brigade, and the whole thing will end in tears. That's one of a dozen examples of this sort of thing happening as our capabilities on paper collide with the MIC grift.

Some people calls it a kaiser load but I calls it a sling load

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

cat botherer posted:

drat it's too bad nobody told Rudyard Kipling that people sometimes die in wars

that was reserved for natives and the occasional tragic side characters in victorian adventure stories.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Slavvy posted:

Some people calls it a kaiser load but I calls it a sling load

Is that a physics deep cut?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAgSUFT4cVk

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

That's one of a dozen examples of this sort of thing happening as our capabilities on paper collide with the MIC grift.

*reads another propaganda piece*

well its good the west doesn't have oligarchs stripping our military's capabilities and readiness in order to line their own pockets like the russians do

oh

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020

Frosted Flake posted:

Nobody has produced a gun as light and cheap as the OTO-Melara Mod 56 (L5 :canada:) in literally a generation. I feel like I'm slowly going crazy watching "gun" and "thing that tows gun" become projects that balloon to F-35 proportions.

Military Today posted:

Chinese Military manufacturer NORINCO produces an indigenous version of the Mod. 56 of the same caliber.

Pomeroy has issued a correction as of 21:36 on Oct 26, 2023

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020

Frosted Flake posted:

Is that a physics deep cut?

Billy Bob Thornton deep cut. Which involved Billy Bob making several deep cuts, if memory serves.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Yet again, incredible things are happening in China.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lol incredible

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020

Frosted Flake posted:

lol incredible

It fits that the PLA would have an appreciation for mountain guns, considering they beat a ROC destroyer flotilla with 76mm M1909 mountain guns mounted on fishing boats when taking Hainan.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pomeroy posted:

It fits that the PLA would have an appreciation for mountain guns, considering they beat a ROC destroyer flotilla with 76mm M1909 mountain guns mounted on fishing boats when taking Hainan.

Wait are you telling me 'grenade launcher on a kayak' is actually a really poo poo version of a thing that pla did first??

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020
well, strictly speaking, just about everyone who had cannons and boats came up with the "cannon on a boat" thing at one time or another, and I'm hesitant to draw any parallel between daring PLA improvisations and whatever you'd call that Ukrainian grift/cope thing, but ignoring all that... I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The Ukraine canoe is literally a youtube mashup contraption. "My wife dared me to put a machine gun on the canoe [soilface]" clickbait.