Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

theblackw0lf posted:

The most unrealistic part of the show is that Lews dumped her.

Lews has ALSO been established to be a gigantic dipshit, so him dumping her actually is in keeping with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Lews has ALSO been established to be a gigantic dipshit, so him dumping her actually is in keeping with that.

Yeah after seeing her I agree.

How close is her character to how the book depicted her? Because that might just get me to read the books lol

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

MarcusSA posted:

How close is her character to how the book depicted her? Because that might just get me to read the books lol

I would say she's one of the characters most like the book version.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Flowing Thot posted:

Without going into any book spoiler territory, I disagree on this. At least for early books Lanfear. Maybe later books Lanfear is a lot more … rounded … of a character, I can’t remember all the details of the latter half of the series. In the first half of the books she felt a lot more like a caricature of a character.

But your mileage might vary. I know that she is a favorite character of a decently sized part of the fandom.

And that’s all that I’m willing to say, considering this is the „No Book Spoilers“ thread.

MarcusSA posted:

If you are willing to read/listen to a long, epic fantasy book series, then the Wheel of Time is worth your time. It is a looooooooong series, but has a lot of very good characterization, character arcs, is complete, and basically everything set up has a payoff. However, the focus of the books themselves is more on the main characters of the „good“ side, with mostly glimpses of the other side. Those glimpses however are really, really good.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Flowing Thot posted:

Yeah, I was a little shocked with how perfect her little "You love me?" was. 100% her book character.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

MarcusSA posted:

There are differences like folks mentioned, but in the show we're just getting so much of a better picture from her pov. The early books especially just don't give you as much of a view in to the Forsaken's perspective.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I figure the forsaken are like the gop, they all hate each other, only care about their personal power. Only Ishmael could keep them in line.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I figure the forsaken are like the gop, they all hate each other, only care about their personal power. Only Ishmael could keep them in line.

And he is presently dead :buddy:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

There are differences like folks mentioned, but in the show we're just getting so much of a better picture from her pov. The early books especially just don't give you as much of a view in to the Forsaken's perspective.

Thanks everyone!

I’ll probably end up giving them a shot eventually.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

MarcusSA posted:

Thanks everyone!

I’ll probably end up giving them a shot eventually.

If you like the second season and don't mind the idea of reading a few thousand pages at a stretch, the books are really quite good. First book like first season can be a slow start for some people.

They also slow down a lot between books 7 and 10 but pick up considerably after that.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 26, 2023

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I just listened to the first book because I've enjoyed the second season a bunch and it's pretty fun listen. I'm about half way through listening to book 2. I intend to just listen to them all.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Digital Jedi posted:

I just listened to the first book because I've enjoyed the second season a bunch and it's pretty fun listen. I'm about half way through listening to book 2. I intend to just listen to them all.
Which version are you listening to?

The „old“ one (Michael Kramer and Kate Reading) or the „new“ one (Rosamund Pike - up to book 3 is out)?

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 26, 2023

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
The old ones. I didn't know Rosamund did one!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Digital Jedi posted:

The old ones. I didn't know Rosamund did one!

She's done The Eye of the World, The Great Hunt, and The Dragon Reborn so far, yes.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

nine-gear crow posted:

She's done The Eye of the World, The Great Hunt, and The Dragon Reborn so far, yes.

They’re really good, imo

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

nine-gear crow posted:

And he is presently dead :buddy:

They layed in that Forsaken are hard to kill, but his death looked pretty final. Though still, I highly doubt he's gone for good.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

They layed in that Forsaken are hard to kill, but his death looked pretty final. Though still, I highly doubt he's gone for good.

That's why I said "presently" :eng101:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
It's gonna be so funny when he comes back next season and he's just like "PIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS :byodood:"

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

nine-gear crow posted:

It's gonna be so funny when he comes back next season and he's just like "PIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS :byodood:"

Trying to imagine Fares Fares delivering this line is a mixture of hilarious and disturbing

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Just binged season 2, last night. Show still good and is definitely a step up from the last season. I haven't read the first few books in 20 years and I totally forgot how horny Jordan was. Which is fine, especially since it's seems to be the adults who have the convoluted relationship dynamics and that's a nice turn.

The costume production value continues to astound.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I spent the first 9 episodes of the show wondering why the TF they didn't just kill Rand so they could go and do their thing and I was about to make a post asking why TF they didn't just kill him. Then they actually explained it and I was like "Ah ok yeah that makes way more sense".

DoctorRobert
Jan 20, 2020
Ishamaels shirt is excellent, costume design generally is fab

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Marsupial Ape posted:

Just binged season 2, last night. Show still good and is definitely a step up from the last season. I haven't read the first few books in 20 years and I totally forgot how horny Jordan was. Which is fine, especially since it's seems to be the adults who have the convoluted relationship dynamics and that's a nice turn.

The costume production value continues to astound.

The costume designer is great:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYS1P6Z74rY

Sadly, the video doesn't touch on Lanfear's looks at ALL. Which is a bummer.

There's a little more on the costuming in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcH3OR6ElIU

Note that the second video takes the same costuming tour through the White Tower, but with a different host comes slightly different conversations. There's also an expanded discussion around braids that I found neat!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

finally got around to watching season 2

overall it was better than season 1, but was immensely annoyed that they only did the opening credits for the final episode. I had mentioned before season 1 dropped that my only real knowledge of the setting was the video game, so most of episode 3 had me flashing back to the late 90s (the Arches serves as the tutorial for the game) and listening to a grandmother narrate each of the arches. I guess some novices just have a really easy time compared to others.

Nynaeve continues to be my least favourite of the characters, I've seen people say Elayne and Egwene act like they have sticks up their asses (not calling out people here, just other things I've read on social media), which makes me wonder if they just don't like women and are using that as a cover because jesus loving christ, Nynaeve has a goddamn redwood up her rear end. Honestly, I don't think I can give her the benefit of the doubt, she refuses help from people that actually care about her, continues to act all high and mighty and then crumples the minute poo poo hits the fan. loving Mat has been a better team player this season than her.

Egwene was great, no notes, though seeing some other people talk about how she was able to "hurt" Renna with the a'dam, I figured she was able to do it because Renna was still all hosed up from the strike on the tower. Every time Egwene had tried to resist, she was doing it while Renna was in total control, I honestly took what Renna said about the a'dam preventing a damane from attacking to just be bluster. Like many oppressors, when she has complete control, she acts as if she is a god, and as soon as there is even a slight tipping of the balance, she folds like a bad hand. I figured that was the entire point of having Elayne and Nynaeve with the other girl, as soon as she had an a'dam on, she broke almost immediately. The Seanchan are basically cops, brutal fuckheads when they have all the power, absolute chickenshit cowards the instant there is even a slight threat to the power dynamic. Egwene's side-eye game was perfect when Renna was doing the "good cop" routine.

Moiraine, she was important, but I honestly didn't care too much when she was on screen this season, the other Aes Sedai had more interesting things going on. I'm severely bummed out we didn't get more tea spilling with the Browns. Actually, same with Lan. I could just combine the two of them as "functional for the overall story, but didn't really add much when they were on screen"

Mat's new actor has transformed the role, I honestly feel that if he had been cast in season 1 that he would've had a similar swagger to Padan Fain (though that would be tough to accomplish)

Perrin, so I was curious about some of the characters that the show has been focusing on and wondered if they were all in the books (like Liandrin) and so I looked it up. Wikipedia says that he is "slow" because he's a Wolfbrother and that will keep him from hurting people. Is he supposed to read as intellectually deficient? Because it would make a lot of sense for how the actor is being directed. Was super happy that he got to play with wolfdogs, but definitely started tearing up when Hopper got killed.

Rand continues to exist, being a Chosen One is a difficult needle to thread, he's not the first to struggle to be interesting to watch and he certainly won't be the last.

Elayne didn't get a lot to do, much like the few scenes we got of Verin's brown sisters, she was great when she needed to be but there wasn't enough of her. Maybe Nynaeve will get better, but I feel we could've subtracted a good 10% of her scenes and given them to Elayne instead.

Lanfear, I definitely wondered if something was up from episode 1, or if Rand had already told her his deal and he had brokered some deal with one of Moiraine's contacts. Nope, but that's ok. I would not say no to deleted scenes that are just more dream scenes and we get to see her in different fetish outfits

Ishameal, he will be missed

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Aces High posted:

finally got around to watching season 2

overall it was better than season 1, but was immensely annoyed that they only did the opening credits for the final episode.
It appears that Amazon is relatively strict about runtime and this way they could eke out a few extra minutes. In addition it could also be some kind of retention thing where people are more likely to stop watching when an intro is running (which is why every streaming service has a „skip intro“ button).

quote:

Perrin, so I was curious about some of the characters that the show has been focusing on and wondered if they were all in the books (like Liandrin) and so I looked it up. Wikipedia says that he is "slow" because he's a Wolfbrother and that will keep him from hurting people. Is he supposed to read as intellectually deficient?
No, you misunderstood something there. He is very big and very strong (he is a blacksmith hitting things with a hammer everyday the entire day) and has internalized being careful and methodical and thinking things through before acting so as not to break anything (and anyone). Now, this might lead to some people (in-universe) misinterpreting that as him being slow and dumb and stupid, but that is not the case.

In the show they’ve focused some of this into his aversion against his berserker rage.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Aces High posted:

I had mentioned before season 1 dropped that my only real knowledge of the setting was the video game,

This is absolutely wild.

Aces High posted:

Perrin, so I was curious about some of the characters that the show has been focusing on and wondered if they were all in the books (like Liandrin) and so I looked it up. Wikipedia says that he is "slow" because he's a Wolfbrother and that will keep him from hurting people. Is he supposed to read as intellectually deficient? Because it would make a lot of sense for how the actor is being directed. Was super happy that he got to play with wolfdogs, but definitely started tearing up when Hopper got killed.

That's very badly worded. It's more that he's deliberate in thought and action because he's always been bigger and stronger than his peers and doesn't want to hurt them by accident.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Honestly at this point you should just read the books, holy crap

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Oh, I forgot addressing this in the first reply:

Aces High posted:

Egwene was great, no notes, though seeing some other people talk about how she was able to "hurt" Renna with the a'dam, I figured she was able to do it because Renna was still all hosed up from the strike on the tower. Every time Egwene had tried to resist, she was doing it while Renna was in total control, I honestly took what Renna said about the a'dam preventing a damane from attacking to just be bluster. Like many oppressors, when she has complete control, she acts as if she is a god, and as soon as there is even a slight tipping of the balance, she folds like a bad hand. I figured that was the entire point of having Elayne and Nynaeve with the other girl, as soon as she had an a'dam on, she broke almost immediately. The Seanchan are basically cops, brutal fuckheads when they have all the power, absolute chickenshit cowards the instant there is even a slight threat to the power dynamic. Egwene's side-eye game was perfect when Renna was doing the "good cop" routine.
The show makes it quite clear that the a'dam is a magical item (ter'angreal) consisting of a paired collar and bracer that magically enforces the rules it set up. While wearing the collar the damane wearing the collar is unable to touch her own collar, she is unable to touch the bracer (magically) connected to her collar, she is unable to physically attack the sul'dam wearing the connected bracer, any pain felt by her sul'dam is felt twice as strongly by the damane, and the damane is unable to touch any object she perceives to be a weapon. As Nynaeve found out, the sul'dam can also (to a certain extent) tell what the damane is feeling and magically inflict pain on the damane.

Finally, the sul'dam has some capability of manipulating/controlling the channeling of the damane. How much control is unknown, but during the "test" outside Falme, Renna told Egwene that she didn't need her cooperation for that.

However, it turns out that there is a loophole in the damane/sul'dam connection: The a'dam does NOT stop the damane from touching another bracer and collar. This is what Egwene uses to deal with Renna. She takes another a'dam, puts on the bracer and puts the collar on Renna. She does not physically attack Renna, she does not touch the bracer connected to her own collar, she simply puts the second collar on Renna. What is a bit unclear is how Egwene picking up Renna and hanging her by the collar on the column worked. It could be that due to the shock, Renna forgot/was unable to stop Egwene from channeling or if the back and forth control of channeling due to the two a'dam canceled each other out or maybe something else.

Lastly, Egwene has just had a harsh lesson in enduring pain - something that Renna didn't have time to learn. So Renna in desperation released Egwene in the vain hope that Egwene would also release her.

The other sul'dam captured by Nynaeve and Elayne broke quite quickly because her entire world view just came crashing down. For the Seanchan all channelers (collared damane or yet to be collared marath'damane) are not people. They are not human. They are work animals. Being able to lead the damane as a sul'dam is among the highest honors/positions a non-noble can achieve. They are among the top of Seanchan society.

And she just found out that the sul'dam are themselves channelers. So in their world view they are not people, not human - they are work animals too weak to do work. This could also have played a role with Renna.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

El Grillo posted:

Honestly at this point you should just read the books, holy crap

I may check out the audiobooks at some point. It was a thing when I was growing up that I and my older siblings would buy the newest book as a birthday or Christmas present (whichever came first) for our dad. Incidentally, that's also how the game came into the house because he bought that for the three of us kids. I have a bit of a reading disability, so the books always scared me because of their size (it took me about 6 years to read Fellowship of the Ring, for some understanding of my issue).

My thing with Perrin wasn't that I'm accusing him of being dumb. It's just that the direction of the character feels, to me, a step beyond "fish out of water". Most of the Two Rivers peeps were going through their own versions of it in season 1, and it didn't feel like Perrin progressed much beyond that, at least until he was hanging with the Aiel in the latter half of the season.

Lastly, the thing with Egwene and using the tools of her oppressors against them. I used cops as an analogy because the past couple of years (here in North America) have given us plenty of examples of just how "tough" they actually are when any of their tools are turned against them. Police are tools of oppression themselves, and it doesn't subtract any less from the dehumanizing rituals that Renna was putting Egwene through. Now, as I'm not as familiar with the rules of channeling and poo poo in WoT, it's entirely possible that I misunderstood that the a'dam are literally designed to restrict damane from causing any kind of harm to their handlers (remembering terms is hard when posting on mobile) and I misinterpreted what Egwene did. I saw it as Renna losing control for just one moment, and Egwene had the means and capacity to act before Renna regained her composure and control.

It was still an awesome scene, and I was on the edge of my seat the whole time cheering Egwene on

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

I had the impression that you just misunderstood/missed some things. That's why I explained it in such detail.

The Wheel of Time show is extremely dense with regards to world building/stuff happening. So it is very easy to miss or misunderstand some thing. And since you can't necessarily know what is important and what isn't, that makes it even harder.

I'm more than happy to clear up any misunderstandings (unless they are spoilers).

With regards to Perrin: Next season is going to heavily feature him. So we will get a lot of development there.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

It still wasn’t clear how Renna “released” Egwene’s collar. She just dropped her bracer and suddenly the collar comes off, just like that? Doesn’t seem like intent would be built into the a’dam where dropping a bracer is treated differently than placing it carefully on a peg.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Why wouldn't intent in some form be built in there? Either magical or in the form of some button/clasp/shackle/whatever.

I mean we didn't get an explicit explanation, but it is logical enough for something to be there.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Aces High posted:

I may check out the audiobooks at some point. It was a thing when I was growing up that I and my older siblings would buy the newest book as a birthday or Christmas present (whichever came first) for our dad. Incidentally, that's also how the game came into the house because he bought that for the three of us kids. I have a bit of a reading disability, so the books always scared me because of their size (it took me about 6 years to read Fellowship of the Ring, for some understanding of my issue).
Fair do's. They are indeed chunky books. But worth a look if you like fantasy. The old audiobooks are pretty good I think (Rosamund Pike in her newer audiobooks just paces her reading too slow imo).
First three books are fun road adventure novels, heavily and deliberately LOTR inspired but with lots of cool worldbuilding a dark horror-esque underbelly.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Intent is already something the a'dam detects, the whole pitcher thing illustrated that

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

yeah I think I was just distracted in the moment thinking "come on Egwene, do something, now's your moment" and had forgotten that even when she's alone in her cell, she couldn't touch the pitcher

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

El Grillo posted:

Fair do's. They are indeed chunky books. But worth a look if you like fantasy. The old audiobooks are pretty good I think (Rosamund Pike in her newer audiobooks just paces her reading too slow imo).
First three books are fun road adventure novels, heavily and deliberately LOTR inspired but with lots of cool worldbuilding a dark horror-esque underbelly.

My mother's working her way through the audiobooks now that the show's over for another year+ now and she's about a quarter of the way through The Shadow Rising and so far her main takeaway has been "Holy gently caress, this guy needs to shut the hell up about carpets and curtains and just get on with the story!" :v:

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

My mother's working her way through the audiobooks now that the show's over for another year+ now

This should probably be in the book-reader thread. I disagree and find that part of the series endearing, but this isn’t the place for it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Grundulum posted:

This should probably be in the book-reader thread. I disagree and find that part of the series endearing, but this isn’t the place for it.

Pretty sure we're allowed to talk about the books as physical objects themselves without touching on the content of said books in this thread...

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Spoiler alert: the books over describe mundane poo poo.

GRR does it too but about nipples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

Spoiler alert: the books over describe mundane poo poo.

GRR does it too but about nipples.

ASoIaF is 20,000 pages about food broken up by the occasional rape scene.