Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

we warned them that nobody would take that name seriously, but did they listen, no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Nothing takes the string out of having a meeting scheduled for the next day where you know you will get fired like calling that meeting “Departure Support”

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
How big of a deal is this?

TechInsights has discovered the world's most advanced 3D NAND memory chip in a consumer device, and in a surprise technology leap, it comes from YMTC – China’s top 3D NAND manufacturer. 3D NAND memory is an essential component for high-performance computing (HPC) such as artificial intelligence (AI) and machine-learning. 3D NAND memory represents the bleeding edge of memory chip design, and is critical for high-performance, high-bandwidth computing such as AI. This is the first quad-level cell (QLC) 3D NAND die with more than two hundred active word lines that TechInsights has seen.

The 232-layer QLC 3D NAND die manufactured by YMTC (Figure 1), was found in the ZhiTai Ti600 1TB solid state drive (SSD) which was launched in July 2023 without much fanfare (Figure 2 and Figure 3). This new QLC die has the highest bit density seen in a commercially available NAND product at 19.8 Gb/mm2

https://www.techinsights.com/blog/china-does-it-again-nand-memory-market-first

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Rinkles posted:

19.8 Gb/mm2

:eyepop:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rinkles posted:

How big of a deal is this?

IIRC adding more layers isn't that difficult -- like, the yield is fairly linear, there's isn't some sort of diminishing return to adding layers. So there's not much yield difference between 2 100 layer chips and 1 200 layer chip. The 200 layer chip will be cheaper, but it'll also be slower in a whole-device context because all those layers share the same IO lines.

So nah I wouldn't call something "the most advanced chip" just because it has the most layers. It's the most advanced in storage density and $/GB, but those are areas where these companies are constantly leapfrogging each other.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I don't know NAND that well so I'm poorly (mis)remembering things told to me or from materials I read, but there is complexity in adding layers. Basically the vertical channel they have to etch/drill down all the way to the bottom of the layers is difficult, you can't have it twist or taper too much and I'm assuming if one of the layers is bad then the whole die is lost.

String stacking was kind of a hack to get around this by stacking and connecting dies and getting the subsequent layer count. Adding layers is important because that's how you increase your capacity. Micron's 6500 ION is TLC but matches Solidigm's QLC drive in size simply because of the layer advantage.

In terms of QLC, I also know very little but Solidigm from what I can tell positions themselves as the QLC Champions (no one is going bigger than them or pushing QLC in the data center as much). But they've abandoned (or been forced to abandoned by Korean management) floating gate and off-hand remarks I've heard made it sound like FG couldn't really scale beyond ~200ish layers (Solidigm QLC I believe is at 192). QLC isn't incompatible on charge trap but I think people were curious as to what the hell they are going to do since their QLC endurance characteristics may take a step back if they have to move to CT (and the FG roadmap is effectively dead).

A 200+ layer QLC drive is interesting from a potential density point of view but if the endurance is even worse than a typical QLC drive then probably less interesting. Typically, the high layer count/leading edge stuff when it first comes out is sold as client/consumer products as the endurance is lower and you want to flex that cost advantage of the higher layer count. Data center/enterprise typically lags in adoption as they try to work the kinks out and get the endurance up to the expected level. Micron kind of short cutted this with the ION though as they realized they could still get the endurance up to the level of QLC enterprise drives while still matching in size (and blowing away in performance)

What is interesting is a Chinese NAND company matching or exceeding the layer count of the big dogs. In spite of tech bans too. I suspect many NAND company ceos wake up in cold sweats at the idea of cheap Chinese nand flooding the market

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 25, 2023

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Wow Solidigm is letting everyone who gets fired to keep their laptops what a swell gesture

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

WhyteRyce posted:

Wow Solidigm is letting everyone who gets fired to keep their laptops what a swell gesture

How do they do that, just remote wipe?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

At our last layoff the tax and security implications of a thousand people keeping their laptops were deemed intractable, so we just gave each person $2K grossed up and said “maybe you would like to buy a laptop with this?”

Solidgm CISO is tied up in a closet somewhere I assume.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

priznat posted:

How do they do that, just remote wipe?

Remote wipe and go buy your own Windows license it sounds like

Or comedy option put Ubuntu on it

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Manager: but don’t people we end up hiring to backfill these losses need a laptop?!
Solidigm: hahahaha

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Honestly I would just ship my work laptop back who needs a lovely mid tier dell or whatever

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

priznat posted:

Honestly I would just ship my work laptop back who needs a lovely mid tier dell or whatever

my work hp zbook firefly 15 g8 has the shittiest screen I've seen in anything, ever, it has absolutely unreal image retention - you can leave a dialogue box on the screen for maybe just 30 seconds, lock the screen, or move a blank window there instead and you can make out the text in the window that was just there
that said, I'd still take it for free

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 25, 2023

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

WhyteRyce posted:

Remote wipe and go buy your own Windows license it sounds like

Or comedy option put Ubuntu on it

I assume the laptops were bought with an OEM license.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

my work hp zbook firefly 15 g8 has the shittiest screen I've seen in anything, ever, it has absolutely unreal image retention - you can leave a dialogue box on the screen for maybe just 30 seconds, lock the screen, or move a blank window there instead and you can make out the text in the window that was just there
that said, I'd still take it for free

I have a dell latitude and it’s pretty decent but if they said you can have it I think it would probably either just sit unused or I would give it to my kids. I have a hard separation between work and personal devices so I don’t have any use for it outside of work, really!

I’d rather have the cash equivalent :haw:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

priznat posted:

I have a dell latitude and it’s pretty decent but if they said you can have it I think it would probably either just sit unused or I would give it to my kids. I have a hard separation between work and personal devices so I don’t have any use for it outside of work, really!

I’d rather have the cash equivalent :haw:

Yeah I never use my work machine for personal use, same with my work sim card. If cash was an option then yes please

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Well if you are given your old laptop during layoff of course you would wipe any trace of your work from it.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

WhyteRyce posted:

I don't know NAND that well so I'm poorly (mis)remembering things told to me or from materials I read, but there is complexity in adding layers. Basically the vertical channel they have to etch/drill down all the way to the bottom of the layers is difficult, you can't have it twist or taper too much and I'm assuming if one of the layers is bad then the whole die is lost.

Yeah you pretty much have it. Some of it depends on how they're building the nand stack but yeah each layer adds more challenge. Could be etch selectively on a nand stack, the electrical magic around the cell stacks, cmos challenges, etc.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I quite like my Latitude, it's not a poo poo-tier one though

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Samsung is apparently planning to raise prices for NAND flash in 2024, and is telling investors that the market "has reached bottom".

I don't know how that's gonna work out for them if they raise prices and other companies don't. And telling investors "it's not gonna get any worse" is a thing companies say a lot. But this may mean that the prices for the raw flash are at least not getting any cheaper.

tldr:
If you've been thinking of buying a high capacity drive with the best $/GB, now-ish (maybe black friday) might be the best time for it.
If you're looking at the newest fastest 5th-gen drives, they're still a don't buy since they have a huge lack-of-competition premium.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Speaking of Samsung, Amazon has the 4TB 990 Pro for $280 at the moment: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CHGT1KFJ/

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Klyith posted:

I don't know how that's gonna work out for them if they raise prices and other companies don't. And telling investors "it's not gonna get any worse" is a thing companies say a lot. But this may mean that the prices for the raw flash are at least not getting any cheaper.

"omg im never gonna able to price fix anymore by burning down my factories at will now that the chinese can make good NAND"

my inner schadenfreude says eat poo poo samsung

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Both my main 1tb nvme and my secondary 1tb SATA m.2 are nearly full and I'm looking at having to delete poo poo to download Starfield. Time to bump up to a 2tb, I'll wind up using it in my refresh I'm planning for early-mid next year anyway. Was thinking of trying a WD Black but I read they are spinning off their SSD business back to Sandisk, or something like that? I haven't been following things too closely, but is Samsung still having some difficulties? Whats the go to choice these days? My board is a relatively old Z390 platform but as I said, it'll be going into something newer soon.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

WD Blacks are great quality, and it’ll still be supported even with Sandisk taking over the SSD stuff if that happens.

Starfield is meh though :haw:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

codo27 posted:

Was thinking of trying a WD Black but I read they are spinning off their SSD business back to Sandisk, or something like that?

Maybe, but it doesn't really affect the quality of the WD drives selling right now, which is good. (The SN770 is easily what I'd point to as the best bang/buck for desktop & gaming all-purpose use.)

And a spin-off won't change the warranty terms. It's not like the spin-off company will die in the next 3 years or anything. WD is probably spinning it off so some other megacorp can buy it, since their own plan to merge with Kioxa was thwarted.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 5, 2023

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Gentle reminder that 11.11 starts in less than two hours and there are already some fetching deals on GOOGAOKE and its upmarket cousin and non-Sri Lankan market-aimed AUGAOKE brand ssds. $4.23 for a 2.5" 128gb Windows2000 boot drive I can add to my EDC heap of knives, lanyards and flashlights? Get in.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

This year I went with a $33.56cdn 2.5" 1Tb "Xray Disk" SSD

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005802997075.html

Which boasts QLC Nand flash and has customer rear end shots to bolster the reviews section.

I'll post benchmarks when it arrives in three and a half months.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

shadow puppet of a posted:

This year I went with a $33.56cdn 2.5" 1Tb "Xray Disk" SSD

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005802997075.html

Which boasts QLC Nand flash and has customer rear end shots to bolster the reviews section.

I'll post benchmarks when it arrives in three and a half months.

Links already dead, I wanted to see the rear end shots. What? I wouldn’t lie to you.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Cygni posted:

Links already dead, I wanted to see the rear end shots. What? I wouldn’t lie to you.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
and amazon doesn't already filter word salads filled with links?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Amawho?

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
So I saw some posts in the PC Building thread about how it might be a great time to buy SSD storage, and decided to pull the trigger on some capacity upgrades I had been thinking about. I looked around for sales and bought these:

WD Black SN850X 4TB PCIe Gen4 NVMe M.2 (WDS400T2X0E)

Samsung 870 EVO 4TB SATA III Solid State Drive (MZ-77E4T0B/AM)

But then today I read something that reminded me that the 870 EVOs were the drives having all the reliability issues. Does anyone know the current state of those issues? Or how to test for problems when I get the drive? I'm also now paranoid that the SN850X was on sale because it also has issues.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

But then today I read something that reminded me that the 870 EVOs were the drives having all the reliability issues. Does anyone know the current state of those issues?

Whazzat? The only place I'm seeing this is random redditors saying drives are dying, which is like... the plural of anecdote is not data.

The Samsung 980 Pro had an actual reliability issue, which was fixed via firmware. But the 870 Evo has been around forever and I think any problems have been long since found and dealt with.

The drives you got are fine. But SSDs are not 100% reliable, just like anything else. Being paranoid about a drive failing means you need better backups.

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Or how to test for problems when I get the drive?

Write a bunch of data to the drive, use CrystalDiskInfo to look for Media and Data Integrity errors (for the NVMe) or Uncorrectable Errors (for sata).

You can occasionally check back in again once or twice a year to see if they're still doing well.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
there was a bad issue with samsung drives a few months ago that was solved by simply installing a firmware update at the time. just don't buy a sandisk or seagate and you're prooobably fine

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Klyith posted:

The Samsung 980 Pro had an actual reliability issue, which was fixed via firmware. But the 870 Evo has been around forever and I think any problems have been long since found and dealt with.

The drives you got are fine. But SSDs are not 100% reliable, just like anything else. Being paranoid about a drive failing means you need better backups.

Ahh okay, I must be misremembering then. I guess there's some confirmation bias when you google "[drive] issues", there's always enough hits to make it sound like a big deal. Thanks for the reassurance.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
On that note, are there any current ssds to "worry" about? Controller IC bugs are ironed out surely.

Like, across the board, even poo poo cheap ones have fine controllers right, or are there still explosive designs?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

down1nit posted:

On that note, are there any current ssds to "worry" about?

Other than the 980 Pro, not that I know of. If you have a 980 you should check that it came with the most recent firmware -- they make new drives with lastest firmware in the factory, but maybe you got a box from the back of the shelf or something.

There's new gen 5 drives coming out though. Who knows which one will be the next oopsie.

down1nit posted:

Controller IC bugs are ironed out surely.

Like, across the board, even poo poo cheap ones have fine controllers right, or are there still explosive designs?

So there's the controllers (and associated firmware) which might have bugs. Every new generation they are doing new things and trying to tweak the most performance, so there are always new bugs.

poo poo cheap off-brand SSDs tend to be pretty ok w/r/t controllers -- the market is pretty standardized on a few chips made by third-party companies (phision, realtek, etc). If they're poo poo cheap they probably don't have the latest and greatest controller, they have a last-gen one that's 3 years old and it had any problems fixed long ago.

But there's also the NAND. poo poo cheap off-brand SSDs may be sourcing some poo poo cheap flash.

OTOH if you go with major brands -- samsung, WD, crucial, solidigm/skhynix -- they all make their own controllers and even the cheap drive probably has a "new" controller when the drive itself is a new product. Any of them, cheap or expensive, might have firmware bugs because firmware bugs don't care about price. Only way to know is wait until the drive has been on the market a year or two. But the number of oopsies per year is low, IMO it's not really worth worrying that much about.

The SSD majors use their own NAND and general opinion is that this has benefits in QC and reliability.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Amazing. I only remember ocz and early samsung OEM drives with failing hardware specifically.

Firmware gets patched I understand but IC design seems solid for now and there's few, if any, bargain bin controllers with explosive issues it sounds like.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Oh yeah in the wild ocz days there were numbers from a French retailer showing models of their drives being returned for one reason or another amounting to 20-50%. And then two or three years later the numbers for every manufacturer dropped to something between 1.25 and 2.5%, which is apparently fairly normal for other storage products as well. That's not failures per se, just returns. The odds are much better now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Ironically I still have a working OCZ drive from 2011, one of the sandforce models that failed so much that they killed the company. If I found four other people like me, we could start a reddit thread about how OCZ drives are perfectly reliable and why did they ever get such a bad reputation? Talk about the anecdote-data gap!

But anyways,

Flipperwaldt posted:

The odds are much better now.
this. SSDs are mature technology now. On the whole everything works and is decently reliable, even with cheap stuff.