Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I didn't feel like it was empty or anything, it just put more at stake for the immunity challenge. We got good perspective of who was at risk here, plus with the merge coming up it established the relationships so we can understand what happens next week.

Personally, I'm glad we didn't get the J. Maya-Sifu showdown; that seemed the least interesting by far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Diabetic posted:

I'm so sick of weird rear end amulets/idols with so many catches, I'd just take the loving juice and sandwich.
Austin was the only one with the right call on that imo. Even without advantage fatigue, that is the advantage that is designed for you to kill each other. Do you wanna all try to gun for one another? How can you stand there together and agree on that to each other's faces? Like, J is on the bottom of her tribe and they can just wipe her out easily if they want to power that thing up. Kelly meanwhile isn't on the same tribe as the other two people there. Doesn't that scare her that they could want to take her out to power up the amulet for themselves? Eat the sandwich!

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
The episodes felt way more empty to me when they were just "post-tribal, check in on the tribe that will lose, challenge where that tribe loses, tribal." It's so much better getting to know the people again and getting the tribe dynamics instead of just the rote checking of boxes each episode.

Plus, these things are probably going to play out eventually; there's a reason the show was edited the way it was. Most of these people are going to be voted out eventually.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
They should have had each sandwich have a different filling and make them fight to see who gets what if they went that way.

Yank a reuben sandwich away from Kellie and watch her swear vengeance with a blood oath.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Fast Luck posted:

Austin was the only one with the right call on that imo. Even without advantage fatigue, that is the advantage that is designed for you to kill each other. Do you wanna all try to gun for one another? How can you stand there together and agree on that to each other's faces? Like, J is on the bottom of her tribe and they can just wipe her out easily if they want to power that thing up. Kelly meanwhile isn't on the same tribe as the other two people there. Doesn't that scare her that they could want to take her out to power up the amulet for themselves? Eat the sandwich!

The moment they started describing all this poo poo in this, my eyes glazed over, the sandwich was the much better option. They're gonna kill each other or get each other voted out for a very little advantage, because they're already telling others about it, it ain't gonna take much. The sandwich was the answer for the long term.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
So apparently during the swap, Brando found a note/advantage that he didn't even have time to read before it was taken away from him.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Yeah it looks like it was something he needed to use immediately or before they left the challenge area. Whoops!

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
how stupid

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Get one ham sandwich or take this piece of paper and walk with it clenched in your teeth while making your case, if you are able to make your case with this still in your mouth with no one noticing you lose your vote but gain 1/3 of an immunity idol that can only be used by the next quarter moon and only if your tribe has been to tribal council 6 times.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
Why would they expect any player to just open the thing right there? That makes no sense based on like almost everything that happens on Survivor

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

obliriovrons posted:

Why would they expect any player to just open the thing right there? That makes no sense based on like almost everything that happens on Survivor

drop the 4 keep the 1, bucko

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

obliriovrons posted:

Because in the New Era players are expected to value The Game above themselves because The Game is more important than the people

(Which is fuckin stupid but here we are)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lol take this food you're hungry for, or a mysterious idol you know will be a huge hassle and complex mess relying on 2 other people outside of contact or control.

Modern idols and advantages suck. It reminds me of Magic the Gathering in a way, the game is 30 years old but the best land cards they ever printed are about as old. Those cards represent the best a land is allowed to be essentially, and every land printed since has been some variation of some.effect less reliable and consistent than the original dual lands. They don't actually want to make better lands, but they desperately need to find new strategies and things to do with lands to keep them fresh. It's the same with the idol. A regular idol is strong and good and reliable, but they want to mix things up without making an overpowered idol... So they add more and more terms and conditions. Add in the social cost of forging and maintaining and bargaining with lies, which you could do with lying anyway, just, hard pass on trying to get a return on investment from tricksy advantage.

I'm not a stats person or know how you'd measure it, but I'd wager losing vote from a tricky advantage has cost more players the game in the long run than it's helped them with whatever risky advantage they might've gotten.

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

Never come between a man and his sandwich

Update: sandwich acquired

Brass fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 27, 2023

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

Survivor S45 - The extra 30 minutes is used for debating sandwiches over idols

FlashFearless
Nov 4, 2004
Death. But not for you, Gunslinger. Never for you.

Mirotic posted:

Okay, I don't always like the sob story segments, but I want to give Jake props for talking about overcoming a struggle with an eating disorder, even if he never got a formal diagnosis (at least I didn't hear him say he was formally diagnosed) - subclinical eating disorders can still be very bad for your health and hard to overcome. It's really uncommon to hear guys talking about it for what it is, at least in my experience.

So if that helps one person help realize or work through their own issues, I think that's fantastic.

I'm not sure I've ever even seen a man talk about having an eating disorder before.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
90 minute episodes of Survivor are great and I hope it sticks around.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Diabetic posted:

Survivor S45 - The extra 30 minutes is used for debating sandwiches over idols

Survivor S45 - 90 minute episodes, no writers, no actors, no sandwiches

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

obliriovrons posted:

Yeah only thing I can think of is that it might have said OPEN NOW on it or something and he never noticed. Otherwise they knew in advance someone might not open it right away and they'd have to repossess it which seems... odd

I heard some speculation it might've been an idol clue (because that beach never found their idol) that they then changed their mind about. But that would be even worse to change your mind after you gave it out.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

can't believe i'm excited for survivor tonight after what we've seen already this season. but we've got some real gamers left and i can't help but look forward to it lol

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
This has been a great season so far. If they can stick the landing this will be my favorite 40 series season.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Fast Luck posted:

Yeah only thing I can think of is that it might have said OPEN NOW on it or something and he never noticed. Otherwise they knew in advance someone might not open it right away and they'd have to repossess it which seems... odd

I heard some speculation it might've been an idol clue (because that beach never found their idol) that they then changed their mind about. But that would be even worse to change your mind after you gave it out.

I suspect they're just trying poo poo and it didn't work do they didn't show it

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Yeah, it seems really stupid that production has watched 44 seasons of this show thinking, "Oh, yeah! He'll open that at the swap!"

I kind of think the official Probst podcast is a liability. Shut up and we may think you're dumb. But Jeff opens his mouth and proves it.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Propaganda Machine posted:

I kind of think the official Probst podcast is a liability. Shut up and we may think you're dumb. But Jeff opens his mouth and proves it.

I was going to say who is that even for but I think the answer is Jeff Probst

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Probst really has a podcast now? That's weird, that's like going on a local little league soccer podcast, but your coach is the podcast host who is also your ride home.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Sifu is a tremendous dork but I love how much he loves the game

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I've decided, Drew is Napoleon Dynamite.

You gonna finish your tots?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Okay, this is fun.

Also I love Emily basically giving the whole thing away to Kaleb again. Twice now we get Emily frantically telling Kaleb about his doom.

"No, Bruce doesn't like you at all." Was pretty funny too.

Edit: This tribal rules.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 2, 2023

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
HOLY poo poo

Biggest tribal reaction ever

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

Let's just make Caleb and Emily leave to just skip over the bullshit of their tribe clinging to existence.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

It was fun to watch and the most fun episode of the season, but dang I think the Shot in the Dark is so dumb lol.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

That was unreal.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
That was stupidly fun.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

Now they're gonna vote Emily instead? loving poo poo, give them a break.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
HOLKY gently caress. That's a tribal for the ages.

I think Rob has a Podcast is having their live show tonight in LA with an audience, they do a live watch of the show and I bet that place absolutely erupted.

Edit: Actually I think they wont watch until the west coast airing since their live show doesn't start yet, boo. Hopefully the audience doesn't spoil each other by reading online.

Teek fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 2, 2023

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

I'm actually shocked it was J. I just don't even understand her target for Lulu though.

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

NOOOOO #BigToeEnergy

Guarantee you every season after this they are gonna be splitting the vote and fearing shot in the dark. It's almost like drawing rocks.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
IMO Jeff should have made them immediately revote, no discussion time. Make it more interesting. I'm glad Emily is still around though <3

Was that the first time shot in the dark worked? I can't remember.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

SteveVizsla posted:

IMO Jeff should have made them immediately revote, no discussion time. Make it more interesting. I'm glad Emily is still around though <3

Was that the first time shot in the dark worked? I can't remember.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it worked one other time but that person was already safe, no one voted for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Yeah, Jamie got hers in the first episode last year, but had no votes against her. Lauren banked her vote, Matthew played his shot and lost, Brandon had two votes negated by his idol, and his lone valid vote went to Maddy.