Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Volmarias posted:

I punched a noble,
I even got paid for it!
It was a good day.

Jump jets billow smoke
Fail son only billows steam
It was a good day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Volmarias posted:

Jump jets billow smoke
Fail son only billows steam
It was a good day.

Paid to pubby stomp???
Paid to mess this dumb gently caress up?!?!
It was a good day! :toot:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Volmarias posted:

Paid to pubby stomp???
Paid to mess this dumb gently caress up?!?!
It was a good day! :toot:

I'll buy the first round
I'll also buy the next round
gently caress it drinks on me :yotj:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

AJ_Impy posted:

Player MVP:

Wolverine

Opfor MVP:

Hornet

Objective completion on both sides in a training exercise.

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.
Player MVP: Wolverine Just said Nope to all their hopes really.

Opfor MVP: Hornet. Did well in what she had and made the right call on when to get out. Good job, Jeanne.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Y'know what? This was a good day.

Our guys got through the fight with minimal structural damage. Beat up 6 'mechs (2 head-smashes, 2 CT smashies, and 2 run away/unconscious), and had a good ol' time.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Volmarias posted:

I'll buy the first round
I'll also buy the next round
gently caress it drinks on me :yotj:

slap prince inna face
show 'im he's a waste of space
griffin barbeque

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

painedforever posted:

Y'know what? This was a good day.

Our guys got through the fight with minimal structural damage. Beat up 6 'mechs (2 head-smashes, 2 CT smashies, and 2 run away/unconscious), and had a good ol' time.

Actually, it's two CT kills, two Head Kills, one fled, and the last had its gyro pulped. Were this an actual mission and not a training sim, we'd be swimming in salvage.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Don't worry, there will be a chance to acquire some new mechs later in the contract.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I seem to remember the contract stipulating that this training sim run might have a wrinkle in it later down the line...

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

I'll have to agree with everyone else for Wolverine and Hornet for MVP. However I'm almost leaning towards the TBT as it was a useful flanker and took a lot of face time it probably shouldn't have.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

aniviron posted:

I seem to remember the contract stipulating that this training sim run might have a wrinkle in it later down the line...

Yeah, I assume this is going to be "Prince Dumb gently caress needs to go raid some pirates to show that he's a legitimate warrior and not to be trifled with," and we're going to be riding herd to bail his rear end out if anything happens.

I can only hope that the lance quality improves more the more secondaries we accomplish, so the final mission is "yeah they're mostly fine but there's an urbie that got past us, go stomp it thanks"

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
River_Bed_[1268]: After Action Report

This mission was pretty interesting. I tried to play the OpFor as a disorganised group of newbies who only vaguely knew what they were doing, and I think I succeeded. I made sure to throw in a couple of dangerous units to keep things challenging – the Hunchback was a capable unit that the players rightly made sure to keep ahead of, and Etienne scored some hits before he overheated himself into oblivion. I had a few screw-ups with the mud hex mechanics and having to redo Turn 3, but overall I’m satisfied with how the battle went.

Player damage was nothing too serious this time around. The Shadow Hawk and Trebuchet took some structure damage, and the latter’s thin armour raised the spectre of an ammunition crit, but in the end it didn’t happen and all four players made it to the end. Since the battle was simulated there are no need for any repairs, so our techs can take it easy for the time being.

I only had to assign one manual kill this time, but it was pretty much a no-brainer – Alexander clearly took out the Hunchback’s Gyro with an SRM barrage. There were some great melee kills this mission – I dread to think what will happen when pilots start getting hold of melee-specific SPAs. Jeanne withdrew before she could be destroyed, so she doesn’t appear on the list.

This was just a simulated battle, so nobody is captured. Once again, Jeanne doesn’t appear because she retreated early.

Salvage / Refit Vote

Again, this was a simulation, so there’s nothing to vote on this time around. There is, however, a discussion to be had on a possible refit. During this mission concerns were raised about the fragility of the Trebuchet 5S. The Trebuchet is classed as a skirmisher, meant to harass enemies with hit-and-run attacks and generally make a nuisance of itself until heavier elements can close in to deliver a knock-out punch. Unfortunately, all of the 5S’s weapons are short-range and require it to close to brawling distance for maximum effectiveness. This makes it vulnerable to return fire, which its thin armour cannot endure for long.

Sub-par battlemechs are pretty common, and some were even intentionally designed that way. On the other hand, I sympathise with the difficulties Bloody Pom was having, and my priorities will always be tilted towards player enjoyment. With that in mind, I’m going to call an impromptu vote about potential refits for the Trebuchet TBT-5S. The available options are:

A: No Change. The Trebuchet is left as it is.

B: Field Refit. The company’s techs will remove one heat sink in exchange for one ton of extra armour, which will be used to toughen up the torso sections.

C: Trebuchet TBT-5J Refit. The Trebuchet will undergo a professional refit and become the Trebuchet TBT-5J. This version is also classed as a Skirmisher, but is better at it, mounting three Medium Lasers, one LRM-15 with a single ton of ammunition, fifteen heat sinks, five Jump Jets, and half a ton more armour. The refit kit for this variant will cost 247,500 C-Bills.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Scintilla posted:

B: Field Refit. The company’s techs will remove one heat sink in exchange for one ton of extra armour, which will be used to toughen up the torso sections.

With a quick check, this will bring the torso armor just a little short of max, if anybody is concerned about exactly how much tougher it will be.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
B, a little tweak is plenty.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

how much cash are we sitting on? If C isn't a big chunk of it, i will vote for that

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
The company currently has 1,939,138 C-Bills in the bank, including this mission's bonus. There are also three ICE Engines salvaged at the end of the previous contract worth a collective 315,000 C-Bills that can be sold if necessary.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Voting for C then.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Even though we can afford C, B feels like the more thematic option

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Voting B.

The company already has some quite decent long range skirmish power with it's PPC armed units, so I think keeping a short range srm powerhouse is a better play. Heat management while hit and running is easy, so the sink-> armor play is a no brainer imo.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Imo the trebuchet was successful at it's job and arguably we could've supported it better with our longer ranged units so I vote B

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

I vote for C, which we'll fund by selling off the ICE Engines. We currently don't have much use or need for them as we lack vehicles to use them with.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

B

The 5S serves the Lance well as we already have two PPC snipers and we don't need another high mobility, long range unit. It trades that mobility for up close hit-and-run style attacks and one ton more armor only helps mitigate the dangers of that role while the rest of the Lance is off hopping around at range. Optimally, the WVR and GLD should take up the role as the ones who get shot at first, but this encounter it was the skirmisher and sniper who took the bulk of the damage.

If this was easy as refitting on the PC games, I'd toss two ML for more SRM launchers in addition to the extra armor, but that's not necessary here. It would let us use all that ammo faster.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I'd personally vote for option D: Let the next pilot figure out what the refit was (even if it means retroactively)

in lieu of that being on the table, B seems best.

Remember, two things: 1) a ton of armor is 16 points, so that'll bring the bucket up to 19 on the side torsos which is plenty.
2) if you don't like it, you can do the refit later!

The more cbills the unit has, the closer we are to buying new rides (or having enough in the bank for egregious repairs and unit losses later on).

This contract is the perfect time to save!

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Rorahusky posted:

I vote for C, which we'll fund by selling off the ICE Engines. We currently don't have much use or need for them as we lack vehicles to use them with.

I'll probably sell the engines regardless of the outcome. There's nothing in the roster that uses them and the extra liquidity will help the company far more.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

B: seems appropriate, no need to spend cash just yet.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yeah I feel like the 5J is a straight downgrade, effectively, because we're just giving up a huge amount of our lance's critseeking capability. I would actually even vote for, exchanging two heatsinks for armor. Dropping one sink is fine but that's still leaving some capability on the table.

With good speed you can afford to run a bit under-sinked, because you can easily manage a couple turns of run + alpha strike followed by a turn of leaving out one weapon to go back to neutral.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

B. No need to cut down on our short range firepower.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Also voting for B as a field refit is plenty.

I am inching ever closer to showing off a thing in the thread.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
B

For roughly the same reasons as everyone else has outlined. It can afford to lose a Heatsink or two since right now it can only gain a single point of heat if it sprints and fires all its guns. The extra armor will be greatly appreciated. This Treb variant is extremely deadly up close and is an excellent crit-seeker, which is something we can make use of, and as everyone else has noticed we already have plenty of long ranged combatants.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

As its most recent pilot, I'm voting for B. Sixteen points of armor in exchange for a marginal decrease in heat efficiency is an excellent trade. All that Treb really needs is a little more staying power.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
I find B a good idea, extra armor never ever hurts and SRM's are great.

Now this is just a question because I don't know if it's even possible but can you even put more jump jets on the Shadow Hawk or is it hard-locked to only three?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Koorisch posted:

I find B a good idea, extra armor never ever hurts and SRM's are great.

Now this is just a question because I don't know if it's even possible but can you even put more jump jets on the Shadow Hawk or is it hard-locked to only three?

You could probably drop a heat sink in exchange for some extra jets. The SHD-2K has two extra sinks that contribute nothing except for redundancy in the event of a critical hit. With five jump jets and sixteen sinks you could do a full jump, fire both weapons and only end up at 1 heat.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 26, 2023

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Would it be worth dropping a medium down to a small to fit an extra jet?

on one hand, you lose some midrange, on the other hand, thats what your srms are for and you gain some heat efficiency back!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I wouldn't do anything else to the treb aside from drop sinks for armor, the temptation to go full mech engineer is too strong, and I don't think that's really the kind of campaign scintilla wants to run. (Unless............)

Dropping a sink or two for jets on the shadow hawk is very good though, if you want to get in to it. 3 jets is just abysmal for regular maneuvering since math wise it's giving yourself a larger penalty to hit than you are giving enemies to shoot at you. They come in clutch, for sure, because when you need to immediately turn a full 180 and blast up hill, that 3 jumping mp goes WAY further than running, but yeah, getting up to even jump 4 is a huge upgrade over jump 3.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Jets are a half-ton on medium Mechs, so it's as easy as dropping a heat sink for an extra pair. Suddenly you have a Griffin that trades some cluster damage for better heat efficiency.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

B makes sense to me!

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Gwaihir posted:

I wouldn't do anything else to the treb aside from drop sinks for armor, the temptation to go full mech engineer is too strong, and I don't think that's really the kind of campaign scintilla wants to run.

For the time being I'm only going to allow minor refits. Optimising every mech is a bit too game-y. If a player mech gets badly mangled I might let the thread turn it into a Frankenmech, although this would come with negative quirks like Non-Standard Parts and Difficult to Maintain. I'll probably loosen the restrictions a little once the Helm Memory Core is rediscovered.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Scintilla posted:

For the time being I'm only going to allow minor refits. Optimising every mech is a bit too game-y. If a player mech gets badly mangled I might let the thread turn it into a Frankenmech, although this would come with negative quirks like Non-Standard Parts and Difficult to Maintain. I'll probably loosen the restrictions a little once the Helm Memory Core is rediscovered.

Remember folks, we're still in the phase of the setting where the 'Mech Factories that make all these wonderful toys are ancient, barely understood relics of a bygone era that people are reluctant to gently caress with because 'Oh god what if we break something we can't replace we'd be so screwed!', so a lot of the more wacky customizations aren't really viable. Basic modifications and small tweaks are fine, but anything that drastically alters a 'Mech is probably in the realm of the crazy or the desperate.

And to put this in perspective, in the actual ruiles, there are three levels of modifications (well, technically six, but the other three are just 'slightly harder versions of the first three). Field Refits, Maintenance Refits, and Factory Refits.

Field Refits are the most basic, and are so simple to do that all you really need is a gantry for the 'Mech to sit in and a crane to hoist the equipment into place so the Techs can attach it. Geneally, these are restricted to swapping out equipment with similar pieces of equipment of the same size and weight. Swapping an LRM5 for an SRM4 for example, since they're both missile weapons with the same weight and crit space (2 tons, 1 crit).

Maintenance Refits require you to actually do them at a properly equipped 'Mechbay, such as those in a dropship. This is where you're swapping out weapons for different sorts of weapons of varying weights and sizes., or adding new equipment. For example, swapping a PPC for more missiles. You'd actually need to get into the guts of the machine to move stuff around, add new bracing mounts, figure out ammunition feeds, etc.

Finally, you have Factory-level Refits, which obviously require you to go to an actual factory so the 'Mech can be stripped down to its component pieces and rebuilt from the ground up. This is where you'd do things like Engine Swaps, changing the type of Heat Sinks or Internal Structure, or what have you belong.

Rorahusky fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Oct 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
B, I like the idea of slowly making all of our mechs non-standard one-off builds.