Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Do you also enjoy hamburgers without cheese, condiments or other toppings?

I don't eat junk food. I only partake in the finest of eats.

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Ketchup coming in the first DLC

I hope so because I have already paid for the DLC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I like starfield, had a couple of hundred hours in it and am waiting for the expansion. I also think videogame stories are gay

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Ask your family for Xbox gift cards as Christmas presents this year.

https://twitter.com/Cromwelp/status/1717131535566999577?s=20

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I'm only a few missions into lamplighters league and so far I like it. It did immediately crash upon relaunching on my Series S the first time I tried to quick resume though.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I feel like that Dungeons of Hurburgler game has like, two too many filters on its poo poo.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I doesn’t stop.

https://twitter.com/shinobi602/status/1717530069034234006?s=46&t=36rNzOEGx40Ej2XR8t_CPw

https://twitter.com/gamespot/status/1717527330128826855?s=46&t=36rNzOEGx40Ej2XR8t_CPw

https://twitter.com/dark1x/status/1717530529552032157?s=46&t=36rNzOEGx40Ej2XR8t_CPw

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Sam Lake has done it again.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Excited for it to destroy my series s

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I’m trying to get through Alan Wake 1. It’s just not very fun to play.

I adored Control, so I definitely want to play 2, but sheesh. 1 feels very clunky in 2023.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
remedy are goated. game looks insane.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Soul Glo posted:

I adored Control, so I definitely want to play 2, but sheesh. 1 feels very clunky in 2023.

aw 1 stinks, i gave up on it after my third attempt in as many years. i'm not too worried about missing anything

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Someone post a YouTube video of AW1 for us good game only players

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Soul Glo posted:

This is where I am at. I loved Control, but never played Alan Wake. So I got the remaster and by my account I'm like 50% through it.

The game just doesn't hold up anymore. The combat is not fun, the levels are annoying, but the writing oh man the writing loving owns hard.

I think I'll try one more time to power through. After that I'll wait for 2 to hit a sale and watch a recap.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sounds like AW2 fixes the combat issues of the original and also gives you a lot more options between the two playable characters

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I believe the very first Alan Wake had a rocky development, so I'm guessing the sequel is going to better purely because they know what game they were trying to create this time.

One with combat that isn't as repetitive I hope.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Remedy also got to make the game they wanted without MS being involved this time

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I want even aware of what kind of game Alan Wake 1 was, but I'm glad I didn't pick it up after absolutely loving Control.

Is AW2 more of that vibe, or is it a very different game?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Sywert of Thieves posted:

Very different, full on survival horror this time

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
it looks like Control mixed with Resident Evil 2 mixed with Twin Peaks, which sounds cool. in my head

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

I want even aware of what kind of game Alan Wake 1 was, but I'm glad I didn't pick it up after absolutely loving Control.

there were a lot of compromises in the first alan wake - it was originally meant to be an open world game and got cut down so badly in development that it ended up a straight third-person shooter that barely got to leverage its own gimmick (it's a world where the protagonist is literally rewriting reality as he goes and that usually amounts to spawning ammo caches where you see the word AMMO lying around) and had some really silly product placement. the DLC let remedy come a little closer to the vision they'd originally intended, being way more surreal and inventive with its setpieces. AW2 looks like they're leaning much further into that with a lot more emphasis on horror

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

With this release will it mean a further track will be available from the Old Gods of Asgard?

I certainly hope so.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Tsietisin posted:

With this release will it mean a further track will be available from the Old Gods of Asgard?

I certainly hope so.
The band has said they did multiple new tracks

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Oxxidation posted:

there were a lot of compromises in the first alan wake - it was originally meant to be an open world game and got cut down so badly in development that it ended up a straight third-person shooter that barely got to leverage its own gimmick (it's a world where the protagonist is literally rewriting reality as he goes and that usually amounts to spawning ammo caches where you see the word AMMO lying around) and had some really silly product placement. the DLC let remedy come a little closer to the vision they'd originally intended, being way more surreal and inventive with its setpieces. AW2 looks like they're leaning much further into that with a lot more emphasis on horror

Thanks, very informative. And how does the Control "AWE" dlc fit into this? I've heard people say it's very clearly a tie-in with AW, but I have no idea since I've never played that. I think it did feature a guy at a typewriter in one or two cutscenes.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Thanks, very informative. And how does the Control "AWE" dlc fit into this? I've heard people say it's very clearly a tie-in with AW, but I have no idea since I've never played that. I think it did feature a guy at a typewriter in one or two cutscenes.

It's a direct lead into Alan Wake 2. The entire story of AWE is about Control's investigation into the events of the first game and them dispatching an agent to investigate the second game. That agent is a character in Alan Wake 2, as are several other Control characters.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Soul Glo posted:

I kept waiting for the gameplay to get good, then I had to sit through the Verizon commercial to get an achievement and realized that's not happening.

Control though my God what a loving LEAP in quality.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Diabetic posted:

I kept waiting for the gameplay to get good, then I had to sit through the Verizon commercial to get an achievement and realized that's not happening.

Control though my God what a loving LEAP in quality.

Quantum Break is also good and was made between Alan Wake and Control.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I wasn't into Quantum Break, too much FMV or non-gameplay bullshit between actual gameplay. I'd play it if it got an FPS boost though...

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Alan Wake 1 was a massive turd, I just checked, it has an 83 on metacritic lol. I'm sure AW2 is better because it has to be, but I'm sure I still wouldn't like it. Critics do love to walk slowly in short narrative driven games though it seems.

e-

sounds like more of the same with nicer graphics.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 26, 2023

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Oxxidation posted:

...and had some really silly product placement. [...]

It's just hilarious that a battery brand paid money to be featured in a video game where a battery is used up in half a minute.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alan Wake 2 is very bluntly them looking at people who went "Control would be better if it was just about the weird stuff" and then making a game just about the weird stuff, but they also clearly didn't have a strong idea of how to make the actual combat compelling so they just made something entirely serviceable and then minimized how often you use it compared to their previous games. It's absolutely good if what you want is the Weird Control Stuff With Less Combat but it is disappointing they couldn't find a way to make the actual combat anything but 'good enough.'

I like Control better simply because having a cool psychic super protagonist who can fly and has a morphing gun makes the moment to moment gameplay more fun.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

It's absolutely good if what you want is the Weird Control Stuff With Less Combat but it is disappointing they couldn't find a way to make the actual combat anything but 'good enough.'

If Remedy can't get better at combat then this is what I want from them, but I really wish they'd get better at combat. It's always my least favorite part of their games. It's weird because they're so inventive everywhere else.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i thought control's combat was fine in the moment (great gun feedback/sfx does a lot) but that idiotic loot system did a lot to drag it down

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Alan Wake 2 reminds me of Evil Within 2 which has me interested

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
i loved the combat in control. throwing big chunks of concrete at people ruled.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

acksplode posted:

If Remedy can't get better at combat then this is what I want from them, but I really wish they'd get better at combat. It's always my least favorite part of their games. It's weird because they're so inventive everywhere else.

Yeah, I am absolutely fine with them playing to their strengths! I just feel like the combat is the difference between Cool Game and Absolute Classic when it comes to them.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1717563562325893418?s=20

quote:

Microsoft is reorganizing its Xbox gaming and marketing leadership, less than two weeks after acquiring Activision Blizzard. Microsoft is promoting Matt Booty to president of game content and studios, including the new responsibility of ZeniMax and Bethesda, and Sarah Bond to Xbox president, overseeing all Xbox platform and hardware work. On the marketing side, chief marketing officer Chris Capossela is stepping down after 32 years at Microsoft.

The Xbox changes mean Booty will now lead an expanded organization inside Microsoft Gaming that includes ZeniMax and Bethesda. “ZeniMax will continue to operate as a limited integration entity led by Jamie Leder, President and CEO, reporting to Matt,” explains Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer in an internal memo obtained by The Verge.

Booty’s expanded role should help Microsoft Gaming avoid scenarios like Redfall in the future, with Microsoft clearly focusing on better collaboration between the teams it acquired with the ZeniMax / Bethesda acquisition.

“Great games are fundamental to everything we do,” explains Spencer in his memo. “We believe that an expanded gaming content organization — one that enables Xbox Game Studios and ZeniMax’s development studios to collaborate effectively together — will empower those world-class studios to do their best work in growing our portfolio of games players love.”

Sarah Bond will now take over the hardware and software platforms of Xbox. “To manage the platform of today, and build the platform of tomorrow, we are bringing together the teams that will make this possible,” explains Spencer. “Sarah Bond will lead this team as President of Xbox — bringing together Devices, Player & Creator Experiences, Platform Engineering, Strategy, Business Planning, Data & Analytics and Business Development.”

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Control's combat was fine for me, and like Max Payne 2 it's more about the whole vibe of the game than being an incredible shooter

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
More like Alan Sleep

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

acksplode posted:

If Remedy can't get better at combat then this is what I want from them

Yeah pretty much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Control's combat was fine for me, and like Max Payne 2 it's more about the whole vibe of the game than being an incredible shooter

My gripe with Control's combat was that it undermines its vibe. Ooh look at this mindbending scenario we put you in, astral plane and whatnot. Now please headshoot a half dozen varieties of mans with a pistol.