Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Thinking back on it, Shrek's main deal in the first movie is that he acts like a jerk because everyone sees him as a terrifying beast and won't give him the benefit of the doubt but he chills out when Donkey and Fiona treat him like a real person with layers. I think that's a pretty good character arc for a kids movie, and I appreciate that they didn't go with some cliche moral you usually see in that kinda genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
smash mouth ogre eat the eggman

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

big mean giraffe posted:

Some of us can't stop thinking about eggman

They are the walrus.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Woolie Wool posted:

sorry no one's gonna read your erotic sonic fanfic

You don’t speak for all of us.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

emSparkly posted:

Thinking back on it, Shrek's main deal in the first movie is that he acts like a jerk because everyone sees him as a terrifying beast and won't give him the benefit of the doubt but he chills out when Donkey and Fiona treat him like a real person with layers. I think that's a pretty good character arc for a kids movie, and I appreciate that they didn't go with some cliche moral you usually see in that kinda genre.

actually i didn't really get the impression that he came off as much of a jerk at all. when the villagers initially invaded his village, he scared them off, but was having fun doing so, and didn't actually harm anyone. he went on the mission to find the princess because his home was filled with people who were forced to stay there cause of farquad. that's a pretty good reason to be in a bad disposition! the main development he goes through is falling in love with fiona, but that's about it.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
The best Shrek song was Accidently in Love from Shrek 2.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

The best Shrek song was Accidently in Love from Shrek 2.

Counting Crows was a weird choice to write a happy love song but they pulled it off.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I forget if it was in this thread or another thread that mentioned it but I was talking to my friend who was gushing to me about the quality of episodes of Star Trek: the Next Generation on Paramount Plus. I've been meaning to check it out for a while and I finally did and holy crap they look absolutely amazing! :monocle:

A couple of years ago I was working at a company that was helping in the remaster of shows like Knight Rider and the live action Incredible Hulk, and while they definitely looked far better than their TV broadcast from the '80s and '90s, you could still see things like film grain and dirt and artifacts and such. and that's why I was very impressed by these Star Trek episodes because the quality seems absolutely pristine. Whoever did a job of preserving these old episodes hopefully got a massive raise cause this is some of the best remaster work I've ever seen especially for a show this old. The last time I was this impressed was when I saw a blu-ray of 2001: A Space Odyssey in 2007 and well...that movie no doubt has been tampered by black magic as it's the only scientific explanation for why it still looks so incredible.

And then you go on to check how Deep Space Nine looks and get immediately saddened. :smith:

Mr Interweb has a new favorite as of 13:00 on Oct 26, 2023

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Mr Interweb posted:

I forget if it was in this thread or another thread that mentioned it but I was talking to my friend who was gushing to me about the quality of episodes of Star Trek: the Next Generation on Paramount Plus. I've been meaning to check it out for a while and I finally did and holy crap they look absolutely amazing! :monocle:

A couple of years ago I was working at a company that was helping in the remaster of shows like Knight Rider and the live action Incredible Hulk, and while they definitely looked far better than their TV broadcast from the '80s and '90s, you could still see things like film grain and dirt and artifacts and such. and that's why I was very impressed by these Star Trek episodes because the quality seems absolutely pristine. Whoever did a job of preserving these old episodes hopefully got a massive raise cause this is some of the best remaster work I've ever seen especially for a show this old. The last time I was this impressed was when I saw a blu-ray of 2001: A Space Odyssey in 2007 and well...that movie no doubt has been tampered by black magic as it's the only scientific explanation for why it still looks so incredible.

And then you go on to check how Deep Space Nine looks and get immediately saddened. :smith:

Well with how much the DS9 cast chewed the scenery, they had to disguise the teeth marks on the set.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

emSparkly posted:

Also, the twist is that the curse lifting her keeps her as an ogre is pretty awesome too for a kids movie because the whole point is that it isn't about outside appearances. Beauty and The Beast is an amazing movie but as someone pointed out she falls in love with him and gets rewarded by making the beast traditionally beautiful.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
The TNG remasters were unique - they went back to the Paramount archives, and located all the original film. Then they remastered the film, and then reconstructed the episodes based on the original camera scripts. Then they added effects consistent with what was on screen (occasionally fixing things like a phaser coming from the torpedo launcher), so it’s probably the best overall remaster possible!

The only trouble was that the remastering was ridiculously expensive, and the bluray sales didn’t justify moving on to DS9 or Voyager. I do wonder how much that was them putting the remasters on Netflix, so removing a lot of the value in the blurays…

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah it was one of the most painstaking remasters of all time, and it shows. TOS also looks great, but that was a bit easier because 95% of it was simply film reels they could directly rescan. The effects shots look weird but there aren't really that many.

Once you get to the era of stuff being mastered to video it gets way more complicated. And if it was shot on video you can pretty much forget it.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, TNG (and probably DS9 and Voyager) was shot on film, but then edited on video. So the original shots look amazing when scanned in on modern hardware, but the finished episodes look like poo poo. So they had to find all of the original, unedited footage, and rebuild the episodes matching the original edits. Plus making new effects for things that weren't done in-camera.

It's tons of work and very expensive, which is why they only did TNG.

This is why tons of outtakes suddenly surfaced and look amazing, because they found the while scanning the film. They even put out an alternate longer edit of The Measure of a Man with scenes that didn't make the final cut.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Sir Lemming posted:

TOS also looks great, but that was a bit easier because 95% of it was simply film reels they could directly rescan. The effects shots look weird but there aren't really that many.
I thought they did a really nice simple clean job with the effects ... they just didn't look remotely as cheesy as I remembered.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

The best Shrek song was Accidentally in Love from Shrek 2.

Seconding this. What a great song.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Mooseontheloose posted:

Also, the twist is that the curse lifting her keeps her as an ogre is pretty awesome too for a kids movie because the whole point is that it isn't about outside appearances. Beauty and The Beast is an amazing movie but as someone pointed out she falls in love with him and gets rewarded by making the beast traditionally beautiful.

Ogre Fiona is more attractive than human Fiona.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Ogre Fiona is more attractive than human Fiona.

Similarly, a lot of people can't stand Human!Beast but are extremely horny for the monstrous version

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It's like they spend time on the ugly monster characters to make them palatable as eventual love interests, then straight up don't bother for the standard model.

Like Beast was definitely designed to be a handsome, princely kind of beast that could be cleaned up to look sleek and bordering on sexy. Then he's human and he looks like Fabio after the goose hit him

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

It's like they spend time on the ugly monster characters to make them palatable as eventual love interests, then straight up don't bother for the standard model.

Like Beast was definitely designed to be a handsome, princely kind of beast that could be cleaned up to look sleek and bordering on sexy. Then he's human and he looks like Fabio after the goose hit him

Yeah it's probably this. Human Eric is only onscreen for, what, two minutes total? It's understandable they put way less effort into polishing his design compared to the monster-guy whose gonna be seen for most of the movie's runtime and is gonna be annoying to animate unless you get him juuuuust right.

Sadly, like how that scene of Ariel marveling at her newly acquired legs inspired a generation of nascent foot-fetishists, the Beast has caused his own ripples.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Asterite34 posted:

Sadly, like how that scene of Ariel marveling at her newly acquired legs inspired a generation of nascent foot-fetishists, the Beast has caused his own ripples.

Hey, don't blame the existence of furries on Beast. There was a whole generation of kids that were raised on anthropomorphic animals and sexy humans with animal features.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Randalor posted:

Hey, don't blame the existence of furries on Beast. There was a whole generation of kids that were raised on anthropomorphic animals and sexy humans with animal features.

"Did you ever find Bugs Bunny attractive when he put on a dress and played a girl bunny?"

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Randalor posted:

Yeah, blame Robin Hood.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Randalor posted:

I'm a straight dude who isn't a furry or scaly, and even I want to gently caress Goliath from Gargoyles.

Edit: And if you say any different you're a liar. :colbert:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm a straight dude who isn't a furry or scaly, and even I want to gently caress Goliath from Gargoyles.

It's the voice

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

bunnyofdoom posted:

It's the voice

Everyone can be horny for Keith David's voice no matter what form it takes. It's perfectly fine.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
imo human Fiona is kind of a cool design twist because she looks like the other lovely annoying humans in the Shrek world and it's probably on purpose. She looks a little like a villain.

edit: Shrek Discourse is honestly one of the more interesting topics this thread has covered recently! It has aged well imo!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The original Witcher short stories had a Beauty and the Beast bit where he decided to stay the Beast because he was stronger and tougher. Also he just paid for village women to live with him.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also the Beast wasn't prince Eric, Eric was Little Mermaid. The Beast's human name as far as the fans are concerned is Adam I think.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Kit Walker posted:

Similarly, a lot of people can't stand Human!Beast but are extremely horny for the monstrous version

I mean Kelsey Grammar was never much of a catch

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

Also the Beast wasn't prince Eric, Eric was Little Mermaid. The Beast's human name as far as the fans are concerned is Adam I think.

Surely he would have a French name?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I can't believe we live in an era of AI and deepfakes but I don't have access to a video of Beast falling off a stage and saying 'oh good lord!'

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ror posted:

I can't believe we live in an era of AI and deepfakes but I don't have access to a video of Beast falling off a stage and saying 'oh good lord!'

"So I was going through Krakoa pretending I was a UN interpreter..."

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

teethgrinder posted:

I thought they did a really nice simple clean job with the effects ... they just didn't look remotely as cheesy as I remembered.

Some of them are super grainy for reasons I can't remember. Like the way they composited them or something, and it couldn't be scanned as cleanly as the stuff that was pure film.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Shrek was the movie that afterschool groups and the like put on for the kids to watch when I was growing up. I think it was the only animated movie cynical adults liked.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Crowetron posted:

Surely he would have a French name?

you're gonna poo poo your pants when you find out what the French form of Adam is

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Alaois posted:

you're gonna poo poo your pants when you find out what the French form of Adam is

Adamoiselle? :v:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Alaois posted:

Aw jeez

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

Adamoiselle? :v:

Ãdám.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm fairly sure many of the characters in-universe want to, including Xanatos. He's literally built as a huge muscular hunk with gentle mannerisms and a deep baritone. On that note, Optimus Prime would probably get the same reason if he was slightly more humanised. (And one show even made a joke about a human woman being disappointed at his absence)

Voice acting does a lot, of course. I still think that's half the reason the furries are crazy over Renamon in a franchise that has numerous giant titty angels and demons.

CJacobs posted:

imo human Fiona is kind of a cool design twist because she looks like the other lovely annoying humans in the Shrek world and it's probably on purpose. She looks a little like a villain.

edit: Shrek Discourse is honestly one of the more interesting topics this thread has covered recently! It has aged well imo!

That's definitely on purpose, they put a lot of effort into the designs in Shrek. The humans for the most part are deliberately lovely and annoying compared to the fantasy creatures and designed to look it, with the point being that a mere human is rather boring and dull compared to the interesting and expressive fantasy creatures- and so of course the villains want to get rid of said creatures out of arbitrary personal pettiness. They can and do design sympathetic or prominent human characters to be more interesting. (Goldilocks in The Last Wish comes to mind... also funny that Jack Horner probably has by far the most cartoonish design in contrast to the other relatively realistically proportioned humans)

Also gets played with in Shrek 2 where there's literally a potion that turns characters into more 'ideal' fairy-tale forms, turning Fiona back into her human form, Donkey into a mighty white stallion (which he seems to enjoy, mind, but for him it's basically a Steve Rogers transformation) and Shrek... is still a huge and lumpy dude but in a more aw-shucks rosy-cheeked gentle giant kind of way. Kinda funny to think the potion only had so much to work with.

Possibly one of the reasons it's still so popular; for having all its adult jokes and sensibilities- and for that matter, a cast who are all adults who look and act like them, Shrek does kinda have a vibe that probably appeals to kids and fans of animation, that they like things that are weird and a bit gross and messy, and grown-ups who insist everything has to be serious and normal and star perfect pretty people doing things exactly the way they always have is insufferably boring and tedious. Probably just coming from the whole thing being potshots at Eisner and Disney in general, but Disney has if anything only doubled and tripled down on that.