Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Motronic posted:

Doesn't it? My experience professionally with academic institutions, at least in the US, is that the pettiness is turned up to 11 and you need to solve for that with everything you want to accomplish.

its this, if this is an academic environment there are many, many layers here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Rereading it I really can't tell. Is "faculties" in the plural really a word that's used in academia, internally? I've only ever heard faculty, singular. But I have very little experience in that warped world.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

if OP just can't spell the word "facilities" which i think one other poster interpreted, this is a very different discussion than "i'm dealing with functionally a bunch of academic departments"

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I took "faculties" at face value because the stuff OP described them doing doesn't sound like Facilities stuff ("campaigns"). So I assume it's academia but I don't have a clue what exactly 'faculties' means in that context.

e: a quick check of OP's history in this thread confirms it's definitely academia

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Atopian posted:

From your description it sounds fairly obvious:

The facilities head has a lot to do and not much time to do it in, your boss has a known pattern of slowing things down to no benefit, and established procedures would not be compatible with the scale of the necessary task in the available time, so facilities is going around your boss and the procedures as much as possible and presenting things as a fait accompli each time.

And... it doesn't sound like facilities person is wrong to be doing that?

If this is accurate, then your job is to get out from under your deadweight boss before she drags you down as she sinks beneath the weight of her own ineffectiveness.

Is there any chance of you getting onto the team that's getting stuff done?

Yeah this is great advice. I'd add that meeting with the facility manager is a good idea if you don't think she'd be pissed your taking some time. Putting in context of both figuring out what the issue with your team is and also what you can do to get her team to engage is good. If she is looking for a more direct line and not work through your boss that would be another option (whether its a feasible option or not depends on lots of factors).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if OP just can't spell the word "facilities" which i think one other poster interpreted, this is a very different discussion than "i'm dealing with functionally a bunch of academic departments"

Yeah, obv OP should look through the lens of whatever environment they are in

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
New guidance: Root cause analysis requires at least one "tool" be used. (5 Whys, Fish-bones, FMEA, etc etc.) That's no big deal. They should be doing that anyway, otherwise you can hardly call it a functional RCA. Except...

...there's no attachment function in the RCA section. I asked where we were going to upload the PDFs of our outputs, and the official answer is to write them instead and summarize. We can't attach our RCA templates/documents. We have to write a bunch of paragraphs describing our fishbones or FMEA flowcharts, etc etc.

A picture is worth 1,000 words. Get writing.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
public dropbox, paste the link. this poo poo is easy, Sundae

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Open S3 bucket.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Lockback posted:

Tinyurl it, for convenience.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Lockback posted:

goon project

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Lockback posted:

in a well actually posted:

This would certainly be a way to go, but I think I'm going to ASCII art a full FMEA chart instead. Maybe I can convert our inventory system to a traditional Roguelike while I'm at it. Or should it be a sokoban?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

in a well actually posted:

obfuscation should be perfectly fine security.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

We actually do have an internal link-shortening app! It's the Google Apps one and you have to log in and grant permissions all over if you haven't followed a short link in a couple of days.

So consider that a weak recommendation.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
There are some programs to render a .dot diagram in ASCII. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3211801/graphviz-and-ascii-output

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Sundae posted:

This would certainly be a way to go, but I think I'm going to ASCII art a full FMEA chart instead. Maybe I can convert our inventory system to a traditional Roguelike while I'm at it. Or should it be a sokoban?

Hey I got a joke for this...
George Bush's FMEA took our guns away
turns out it was an effective RCA

...I didnt say a good joke.

Guy Axlerod posted:

There are some programs to render a .dot diagram in ASCII. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3211801/graphviz-and-ascii-output

Graphviz if fukken dope. Is there any chart this thing CANT render?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

My manager is away this week but god I hope this hasn't been pushed up the chain from the other team yet (I guarantee it has), because then it's gonna be a poo poo storm and all I can say is "I had no idea any of this was even a thing".

Update: it's already a poo poo storm.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Woosh so another person on my team has resigned (down to 5 including myself, and at least 2 more are also leaving once the background checks finish at the new company). I can tell it is starting to rattle the interim manager as he went on a spiel in the team weekly meeting about how people should come talk to him about it if one is thinking of leaving (lol) and how the job market is tightening up (possibly true in some sectors but we are having poo poo luck backfilling the existing holes we have). By leaving the people are affecting the prospects of the company and increasing the load on their coworkers, was his big finish to it. Yikes.

Really it came down to a company not going all in and getting the resources it needed and instead just going bare minimum while we screamed to get new resources with no new reqs getting opened up. That is the reason and if people want to leave because the company is too cheap or shortsighted well it's the company's loving fault. What a pisser of a speech, I was pretty blown away by just how wrong footed it seemed.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

If it truly was important to the company then the reqs would flow through your system the way md 20/20 does through a hobo’s lips.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah it was something to see the mask slip as previously it had been "oh yeah it's good to do what is best for your career etc" and now it is becoming "YOU ARE ABANDONING YOUR COWORKERS!!!" lol

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Sundae posted:

I'm 9 days out from leaving the country for almost an entire month. I have told people about this since February. My calendar has been blocked since February. It's on the team board. It's on the team gCal. It's blocked out in all-caps red and yellow on the area project spreadsheet.

In spite of that, I had to tell two people today that no, I would not (1) cancel my vacation, (2) take my laptop with me to India, or (3) find a way to complete a ton of new surprise work before I leave, because they promised someone I'd do it by 15NOV without actually checking with me first.

Fingers crossed, but I bet I'm gonna be answering a lot of No's over the next week. :v:

My primary backup just left for China for a family emergency and won't be back for at least two weeks. :lol:

Fabbbbbulous. I'm still leaving in a week. Tough poo poo, folks.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

priznat posted:

Woosh so another person on my team has resigned (down to 5 including myself, and at least 2 more are also leaving once the background checks finish at the new company). I can tell it is starting to rattle the interim manager as he went on a spiel in the team weekly meeting about how people should come talk to him about it if one is thinking of leaving (lol) and how the job market is tightening up (possibly true in some sectors but we are having poo poo luck backfilling the existing holes we have). By leaving the people are affecting the prospects of the company and increasing the load on their coworkers, was his big finish to it. Yikes.

Really it came down to a company not going all in and getting the resources it needed and instead just going bare minimum while we screamed to get new resources with no new reqs getting opened up. That is the reason and if people want to leave because the company is too cheap or shortsighted well it's the company's loving fault. What a pisser of a speech, I was pretty blown away by just how wrong footed it seemed.

Guarantee this interim manager has never been let go in a round of layoffs. Also if the job market is tightening up then he should be happy because his vacancies should be real easy to fill and candidates should be climbing over each other to get them.

Honestly, imagine having this attitude without having equity in the company.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Let's all take a second to press and hold on that thought.

Could I get you to like and subscribe to this project issue?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Fil5000 posted:

Guarantee this interim manager has never been let go in a round of layoffs. Also if the job market is tightening up then he should be happy because his vacancies should be real easy to fill and candidates should be climbing over each other to get them.

Honestly, imagine having this attitude without having equity in the company.

Imagine having this attitude at all. There's no reason for employees to be loyal to a company when it doesn't suit their interests.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Sundae posted:

My primary backup just left for China for a family emergency and won't be back for at least two weeks. :lol:

Fabbbbbulous. I'm still leaving in a week. Tough poo poo, folks.

Live the dream of telling your higher-ups "a lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine". Loudly. Repeatedly.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Unfortunately the reality is that the very few people in the world for whom lack of planning on their part does constitute an emergency on your part are your boss, and their boss, etc. on up to the CEO.

Dukberry
Nov 5, 2013

I submitted my resignation on Monday, and I am getting the hardest "stay" pitch I've ever gotten in my life (though admittedly I've never been as "critical" as I seem to be here). The first phase was the kind of half-hearted empty promises that I've come to expect (except for being bizzarely hostile) from sales-adjacent leadership. As soon as I got past that though, my old skip level came in with a way more attractive pitch, and it has the added benefit of actually being from a trustworthy person and attractive to my career (lol) path in tech.

So now I'm about to take the biggest job risk in my life and accept a counter-offer, while potentially burning a bridge with a really attractive company. Gonna feel like a genius when this blows up in my face.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I feel obliged to at least tell you that I believe you're making a very big mistake.

Even assuming Old Skip Level is both trustworthy and invested in you, they may be gone from the company by January. The hostile sales-adjacent leadership will still be there.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Dukberry posted:

I submitted my resignation on Monday, and I am getting the hardest "stay" pitch I've ever gotten in my life (though admittedly I've never been as "critical" as I seem to be here). The first phase was the kind of half-hearted empty promises that I've come to expect (except for being bizzarely hostile) from sales-adjacent leadership. As soon as I got past that though, my old skip level came in with a way more attractive pitch, and it has the added benefit of actually being from a trustworthy person and attractive to my career (lol) path in tech.

So now I'm about to take the biggest job risk in my life and accept a counter-offer, while potentially burning a bridge with a really attractive company. Gonna feel like a genius when this blows up in my face.

Never take the counter offer.

Dukberry
Nov 5, 2013

what if I dig up

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
If the offer is really that good then it should be no problem to get a golden parachute in case they decide to fire you

if you can't get that then good luck

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dukberry posted:

The counter offer can be too good to be true because they only intend to compensate you like that for 3-6 months while your replacement is hired and trained or while they do something else to make your position unnecessary. Do not take the counter offer.

Dukberry
Nov 5, 2013

I think all of you are correct that I shouldn't take the counter offer.

Some things that are making it hard for me: My company was recently acquired, and my old skip level is legitimately a person I do trust, and he's explicitly motivated to try to retain some of the talent from the old company. The counter-offer is for a new role in another function, and there's no intent to hire or replace my current role. Part of why I'm leaving is that the writing is on the wall that we will soon stop doing what I was previously doing (think: dedicated high-touch technical support). The new role is a new product manager type role. I think product looks a lot better on my resume, even if do get run out of town before the end of next year than jumping ship for another job in the same role I'm doing now.

So I'm leaning towards trying to dig up. And in the event that I do get screwed, the type of job that I have is not exactly hard to acquire, even in tough times.

I am posting here in the hopes that I am struck down by god if this mistake is as bad as I am worrying though, so please don't be shy about piling on

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Dukberry posted:

And in the event that I do get screwed, the type of job that I have is not exactly hard to acquire, even in tough times.

I believe you, but burning a bridge with a better company than the one you're staying at is manifestly a bad career choice.

Dukberry posted:

The counter-offer is for a new role in another function, and there's no intent to hire or replace my current role.

This is a common element of counter offers. What specific thing you're doing day to day isn't necessarily the big deal for them (it could be, but doesn't have to be)--it's your institutional knowledge.

Dukberry posted:

Some things that are making it hard for me: My company was recently acquired,

someone post the picture of the Chinese military parade

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 26, 2023

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dukberry posted:

bad idea, you take that counter and not only are they going to have your name at the top of any layoff list, in red, highlighted and underlined, but they'll also consider any routes for growth/development as being wasted on you now that you've tried to bail, and since they also know you're effectively stuck there for a few months at least they will use the above conditions to maximize what they get out of you before you remember why you tried to quit in the first place.

Expect every step of that trusted manager's offer to get slow-walked.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Dukberry posted:

I think all of you are correct that I shouldn't take the counter offer.

Some things that are making it hard for me: My company was recently acquired, and my old skip level is legitimately a person I do trust, and he's explicitly motivated to try to retain some of the talent from the old company. The counter-offer is for a new role in another function, and there's no intent to hire or replace my current role. Part of why I'm leaving is that the writing is on the wall that we will soon stop doing what I was previously doing (think: dedicated high-touch technical support). The new role is a new product manager type role. I think product looks a lot better on my resume, even if do get run out of town before the end of next year than jumping ship for another job in the same role I'm doing now.

So I'm leaning towards trying to dig up. And in the event that I do get screwed, the type of job that I have is not exactly hard to acquire, even in tough times.

I am posting here in the hopes that I am struck down by god if this mistake is as bad as I am worrying though, so please don't be shy about piling on

Curious, but do they intend to train you as a product manager? Because as someone in a product leadership position who hires product managers, it is very easy to see those who know how to actually do the role, and those who were "made" PMs from another position and don't know what the hell they're doing.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Eh, I took a counteroffer years ago and it worked out pretty ok.

I had to go track down where the office management gnome had scurried off to with my nice corner desk and literally repo it though.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

bad idea, you take that counter and not only are they going to have your name at the top of any layoff list, in red, highlighted and underlined, but they'll also consider any routes for growth/development as being wasted on you now that you've tried to bail, and since they also know you're effectively stuck there for a few months at least they will use the above conditions to maximize what they get out of you before you remember why you tried to quit in the first place.

Expect every step of that trusted manager's offer to get slow-walked.

I want to be fair and observe that this doesn't necessarily have to be the case. Once in a while a person will accept a counter and still be able to advance in the company. Really the fact of having received another offer and almost leaving makes you look more valuable.

That's if you're actually able to stick around long term, though. Most of the time, it's exactly what Motronic posted and you'll be RIF'd inside of a year.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The biggest issues I'm seeing now that we have more context is that:

- The company has just been acquired. This is a chaotic time when people are empire building and trying to find their places, especially in middle and upper management. You don't know where this skip level is going to end up and how much juice they will have when the music stops.
- The offer was from someone at the acquired company, not the acquiring company

and:

Eric the Mauve posted:

burning a bridge with a better company than the one you're staying at is manifestly a bad career choice.

What specific thing you're doing day to day isn't necessarily the big deal for them (it could be, but doesn't have to be)--it's your institutional knowledge.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

None of the things that make counters ok sometimes (a stable org whose culture expects counters as part of hr’s process) apply here.

The more out of the ordinary counters are, the higher risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I have also taken a counter offer and had it turn out fine. Some of the “don’t take the counter offer” advice here verges on conspiracy theory.

That said, I think you need to selfishly evaluate the situation: where do you end out on top in the long run? Will having the “better company” on your resume outweigh having PM on your resume or the other way around? Which company has better long term paths for growth? Which company seems to be in a better position? Are there any immediate short term financial needs that might take precedence over your long term career goals?