Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I have severe doubts that human beings will ever be able to create vat-grown meat. You can't just make an organism, let alone parts of one without the rest of it. Much more likely is climate change, resource depletion, and ecological collapse making meat, especially beef, an expensive luxury, like it was for most places in the world for most of human history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Me watching lab meat discourse pop up again.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Woolie Wool posted:

I have severe doubts that human beings will ever be able to create vat-grown meat. You can't just make an organism, let alone parts of one without the rest of it. Much more likely is climate change, resource depletion, and ecological collapse making meat, especially beef, an expensive luxury, like it was for most places in the world for most of human history.

You expect like tubes and oxygen and blood and circulatory systems? I mean it won't BE meat in that it's a slab of muscle, it will just be an approximation of what meat feels like to cook, eat and chew plus whatever nutrients we shove into it. Call it 'meat replacement' or whatever you'd like. It won't ever be alive, imho.
Kind of like the steak I see at Costco. You skip all the life part and go right to the slab of protein.

As for obsolete, awesome 90s action movie posters:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

They already have, it's just ludicrously expensive

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Get this though: beans.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

By popular demand posted:

Also the pope declared capybara counted as fish.

I disliked this

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Tunicate posted:

They already have, it's just ludicrously expensive

This, no company has solved the problems of vat grown meat production at scale so it exists it's just like ten times the cost of regular cow. Not ready for commercial use at all, more of a bespoke curiosity.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Snake Maze posted:

And what about those luddites who refuse to use a teleporter? “Oh I’ll just cross through literally every point in space between me and my destination instead.” What a bunch of losers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUXKUcsvhQc

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Kwyndig posted:

This, no company has solved the problems of vat grown meat production at scale so it exists it's just like ten times the cost of regular cow. Not ready for commercial use at all, more of a bespoke curiosity.

You sound like those cars won't beat horses kinda dudes

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Unperson_47 posted:

Get this though: beans.

Yeah I wasn't going to say anything but the U.S. is lagging way behind on bean technology.
Not only dwarfed by massive bean paste production to the south but you didn't even master the humble midestern hummos!

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Wasabi the J posted:

I'll never give up the warm soft glow of my whale oil lantern

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

I have severe doubts that human beings will ever be able to create vat-grown meat. You can't just make an organism, let alone parts of one without the rest of it.

I had some last month.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Wasabi the J posted:

The difference is unless there's some miraculous breakthrough in tissue growth I'll continue to be correct. They still haven't solved the immunity problem and that's the biggest hurdle to commercialization of vat grown meat, it's hard to make a profit and stay competitive when any infection will ruin your entire bioreactor.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

It's not that difficult to make a machine that can move faster than a horse. It's pretty difficult to make a machine that can grow meat better than a pig or a cow.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Capilarean posted:

It's not that difficult to make a machine that can move faster than a horse.

How many have you made?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Capilarean posted:

It's not that difficult to make a machine that can move faster than a horse. It's pretty difficult to make a machine that can grow meat better than a pig or a cow.

It's not difficult now that we've done it. But it took over a hundred years of innovation to get cars where they are now. Research leads to discovery which leads to improving processes. A few decades ago you'd say it's impossible to do what they are doing now, and here they are, doing it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Betcha within a few decades people will be growing meat in their homes like they do with herbs.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Oh wow, I always loved this but couldn't remember the name of it. Thank you for posting it.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

This argument makes meat and meat-like substances sound like an overcomplicated obsolete tech, kinda like combustion engines and digital watches. Beans are clearly the future. Beans and vegetarian mapo tofu.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

barbecue at the folks posted:

vegetarian mapo tofu.

You have my vote

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

GreenNight posted:

Betcha within a few decades people will be growing meat in their homes like they do with herbs.

Nah we'll be buying it but sanctimonious influencers will be shaming us for not growing it at home; so there'll be a few months where everyone grows meat like they did with sourdough until we just go back to buying it, again.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

KakerMix posted:

Because people are dumb as heck and also ignorant. I'd really like to print out a beef-style protein matrix at 80/20 with perfect marbling and no puss, bacteria, fungus or viruses, and no gristle.

I think it's really down to people just don't understand what "meat" is and how it's harvested. It's going to be like diamonds, lab grown are objectively superior in every way so then ~natural~ diamonds shifted their focus to the imperfections and somehow that makes them more ~real~. Meat will be the same thing.

So will you add the pussy in the next iteration or is it a separate product

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Cojawfee posted:

It's not difficult now that we've done it. But it took over a hundred years of innovation to get cars where they are now. Research leads to discovery which leads to improving processes. A few decades ago you'd say it's impossible to do what they are doing now, and here they are, doing it.
To where they are today, but how long did it take to make a car faster then a horse? A decade or two?

Wasabi the J posted:

Nah we'll be buying it but sanctimonious influencers will be shaming us for not growing it at home; so there'll be a few months where everyone grows meat like they did with sourdough until we just go back to buying it, again.

Is that kinda like how for 4-5 years, every white girl with a DSLR camera was a "photographer"?

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Haven't seen it mentioned in this thread, but I've always been a fan of vintage clock radios - especially 80s stuff. I was checking out ebay for cool ones and got reminded of one of my favorite categories of household electronics: under-cabinet media devices!

GE Spacemaker is really the only brand I know about for them, but there was everything from AM/FM, to televisions (as pictured), and they made them long enough that CD players were put out at some point. A lot of them had a lightbulb built in, too, for some classy undercabinet lighting.

I know there were electric can openers, too, but that's a lot more boring. The odds that I'll put at least a cassette player one in my kitchen one day is pretty good.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I need a color tv radio in the kitchen companion range.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

This one has the ability to store up to THREE digital voice memos!!!

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
We had a black&white one. It also had rechargeable? batteries. We had our power knocked out for a week in a storm, on the first night we got to watch half an episode of the fresh prince before it died. Totally worth it.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Woolie Wool posted:

I have severe doubts that human beings will ever be able to create vat-grown meat.

Yum! Brands already did. Google "Animal 57" :tinfoil:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Big Mac posted:

they made them long enough that CD players were put out at some point

They have dvd players with widescreen displays!

I have a 4:3 under cabinet fold down display in pretty good condition, but the backlight won't stay light. I think it's just a fluorescent bulb I need to replace. I fully intend to mount it.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I can't wait for lab meat to be as normal as commercial yeast. Bring on the cheap tasty ethical nutritious cells!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Holy poo poo is that a kibology reference?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Is that anything like Passenger 57?

Always bet on dark meat

Quid
Jul 19, 2006

KakerMix posted:

It's going to be like diamonds, lab grown are objectively superior in every way so then ~natural~ diamonds shifted their focus to the imperfections and somehow that makes them more ~real~. Meat will be the same thing.

"You're actually taking money out of poor communities and putting diamonds miners out of a job when you buy lab grown. They have no other way of making money." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7_WeCQofPk

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
wait how is it they're in a situation where they have no other viable methods of supporting themselves or their families? :thunk:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Wayne Knight posted:

I fully intend to mount it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Blood diamonds were of course a marketing campagin by DeBeers trying to scare people off alternative diamond sources.

The general public took away "oh so diamonds are sketchy huh, better educate myself, now who founded this DeBeers company..."

One of the biggest marketing gently caress-ups in history.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

GreenNight posted:

already am, technically

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

My Lovely Horse posted:

already am, technically

Congratulations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Wasn't there a phenomenon in movies where something big would be happening and it would cut to people in their kitchen watching the news on their under cabinet television?? I feel like this happened in lots of movies for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
My dad always had a radio in the kitchen, and sometimes installed ones that hung under the cabinets, but TV's weren't common.

Nowadays we just throw a Google mini speaker in there and call it good enough.