Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Carlosologist posted:

sucks to be All Might's hands though

Aren't those AFO's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Kyte posted:

Aren't those AFO's?

Can't wait to see his new baby hands.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

sucks to be All Might's hands though

He's Todoroki' teacher. It was inevitable.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Kyte posted:

Aren't those AFO's?

100%

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
As an aside it seems Bakugo's explosions now all have the same star pattern as his eyes, which I guess signifies he's achieved the required Shonen Power Up.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kyte posted:

As an aside it seems Bakugo's explosions now all have the same star pattern as his eyes, which I guess signifies he's achieved the required Shonen Power Up.

His star eyes also show that he has superhuman acting talent from the Hoshino family genes.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Rhonne posted:

At the speed he was going, Bakugo probably would have killed All Might on impact.

Obviously All Might has finally awakened to his long-dormant quirk where he is unharmed by anything up to the amount of force that can sever two hands /s

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

A MHA Survey currently being conducted by a dedicated fan.

I know it's a small thing but I really appreciate stuff like this because us English-speaking anime fans always get data on what the Japanese fandom likes but not us. I can say that, after talking with Gundam fans for ten years, that we don't like Lacus or Kira nearly as much as Japanese fans do, but I don't have any polls to back this up. I just gotta gesture at "well, I talk on a forum a lot and it's what I've seen and read."

I'm trying to avoid manga spoilers so I can't take the survey myself as the last section is about current manga stuff and predictions. Just glancing at the results, a sort of spoilery non-spoiler was this

quote:

The most beloved arc (8.78) is the Paranormal liberation war arc, followed by the Hideout raid (Kamino), the sport festival arc and the Training camp arc.

The less beloved arcs are Stars and Stripes (6.02), Quirk apprehension arc (6.47), UA Traitor arc (6.59), Joint Training arc (6.67) and provisional hero license arc (6.78). Still, they are still all above 6.

"UA Traitor Arc." I used to wonder about that plot thread which was suggested way back in Season 3 in 2018. Last time I brought it up, some people suggested Hori just forgot, or it was a red herring. I never thought either of those things but I totally forgot about it after a while. It didn't occur to me at all this last season. But I guess I have that to look forward to at last.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
What the hell was the quirk apprehension arc

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

TheKingofSprings posted:

What the hell was the quirk apprehension arc

The first days at the school with Aizawa doing his little Bell Test, threatening to expel everyone

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I'd say arc is a pretty big descriptor for that but then again apparently there's a traitor arc and that was like three chapters

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

I don't understand.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mymla posted:

I don't understand.

The final arc features a bunch of characters people like having dramatic fights with one another. For some people that is all they really want.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The final arc features a bunch of characters people like having dramatic fights with one another. For some a lot people that is all they really want.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Depending on what the source of that poll is it's also highly likely there's some sampling bias going on.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

The final arc features a bunch of characters people like having dramatic fights with one another. For some people that is all they really want.

Also people who are currently reading and invested in the manga are more likely to participate in a poll like this.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
On top of all that, you've got the general issue you see with any question along the lines of "How would you rate [thing happening in the middle or end of a series]?", in that a good chunk of the people who weren't enjoying it will have stopped reading and hence didn't answer the question. You see it on e.g. Goodreads, where Book 1 in a series is often rated worse than the others because the people who didn't like it then didn't bother reading/rating Book 2, 3, etc.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
It's a hosed up survey because somehow no one voted Gentle Criminal as their favorite character even though he rules. Dude has done more heroic poo poo in this final arc than anyone besides All Might.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I'd say a 7.45 is pretty accurate. I've enjoyed most of this finale, it has had some top-tier moments. The bad stuff has been Shigaraki and AfO no-selling everything, which has been really aggravating but not enough to ruin the arc or anything.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The manga is basically selling as well as it ever has been so at least with Japanese fans their consensus does not match this thread

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
The complaint thread on 5ch is more active than the regular discussion thread for MHA and has been for a while so idk I think Japanese fans aren't digging it so much either

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Fabricated posted:

The manga is basically selling as well as it ever has been so at least with Japanese fans their consensus does not match this thread

Yeah, this is he key thing. When I started getting into MHA in 2018 I did see nothing but deep, deep love for it. Around the time the last season started I dipped into either this thread or r/bnha and saw a lot more negativity. I was active on a lot of forums and stuff back when Naruto and Bleach were at their peak so it made me worry MHA was tanking just like they had.

But then looking at the manga sales, MHA remains strong. No falling off a cliff like Bleach undeniably did. And speaking of the anime's last season, the debut was one of the most watched anime on at that time, and the season finale was the most watched season finale in the series' history.

So teh doom=and-gloom I felt and read, about how "MHA had its five minutes, now it's dreck and will be forgotten as soon as it ends." seems unwarranted.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I mean if you are buying the comic just so you can hate-read it and post on 5ch manga salon about how Dekuzu and Hand Sweat Man are complete losers who suck then that doesn't mean you're necessarily loving the comic. And there's a fair few of those people

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

The complaint thread on 5ch is more active than the regular discussion thread for MHA and has been for a while so idk I think Japanese fans aren't digging it so much either

Your problem is assuming online sentiment is representative of everyone who reads it.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
to be fair it's not like you're gonna find tremendously intelligent criticism of the series on the 5ch whining thread. Plenty of posts on there from around last week about how it's completely unacceptable to compare All Might (worthless piece of poo poo) to Anpanman (a true hero)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Complaints also tend to get a lot more traction than praise unless something is absolutely exceptional.

Edit: For example here on SA the "Things dragging the game down" thread has almost double the posts of the "Favorite things in games" thread.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

In addition to volume extra goodies, another reason I wanna read at last some of the manga is to see what I "missed" in Season 5. So many manga readers I read claimed My Villain Academia is one the best parts of the story but Season 5 was horrible and ruined it. It wasn't even things being out of order which sucked for me, it was how truncated and hollow everything felt.

I guess I gotta buy Volume 21-26 off Viz. Been a long time since I bought from Viz.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Casey Finnigan posted:

I don't think 5ch is an accurate measure of support anymore than I think 4chan is tbh

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

https://tcbscans.com/chapters/7533/my-hero-academia-chapter-405?date=26-10-2023-17

How is Edgeshot still alive!?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
We're finally going to get the "Coughing Baby vs Thermonuclear Bomb" fight

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Bully da baby

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Bakugo's Quirk gave Edgeshot more energy to work with so he's only mostly dead. I think?

Unrelated to that, I loved this page in particular.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bakugo's own quirk restarted his heart before Edgeshot was finished.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Is restarting his heart supposed to be a reference to how nitroglycerin pills are used to treat heart disease?

Also, I forget what the deal is with Bakugo and the previous One-For-All holder, why's AFO remembering that guy here?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Bakugowns??!

I'm so glad Horikoshi pulled back on going full quirk-ghosts and All Might was just hallucinating. I couldn't handle that in another MHA finale.

Dolash posted:

Is restarting his heart supposed to be a reference to how nitroglycerin pills are used to treat heart disease?

Also, I forget what the deal is with Bakugo and the previous One-For-All holder, why's AFO remembering that guy here?

Because he's time traveling Bakugo, duh.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

CharlestonJew posted:

We're finally going to get the "Coughing Baby vs Thermonuclear Bomb" fight

I guffawed at this

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Very emotional about Bakugou's smile in this chapter. He gets something passed onto him the way All Might passed his legacy onto Midoriya, and he's finally feeling redeemed for Kamino. This is a great chapter.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Cool to see the kids from the second movie make a cameo. Guess that means that movie is canon and Bakugou did have OfA for about 5 minutes.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Whatever's left of edgeshot popping out to explain everything is so dumb but also kind of funny

Also I still try to imagine what it was like for the original owner of AFO's dumb "Explode your blood outside of your body. No, that's it. You can't even put it back in" quirk

Imagine the kid and parents finding out that was his quirk one day when he was 4-5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Is that the Second that AFO flashed back to as he looks at Bakugo?

His ancestor? Or Back You Go confirmed?