Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Sydin posted:

Soto is a "all in on 2024" move. He's already turned down a historic extension that would have made him the highest paid player in baseball and with how the market's trended for top level FA's since there's no reason at all to suspect that has changed, if anything his decision to reach FA no matter what has probably calcified that much more. So you're gutting the top end of your farm and probably giving up a decent major league guy on top for 162 games of Soto + (hopefully) a postseason run. All of which is to say, there's really no point in trading for him unless your team is pretty much already complete and just wants that extra boost to really put them over the edge, or is otherwise planning to complete the team in other ways complimentary to Soto in FA.

The team that makes the most sense for Soto is still the Padres. If Soto leaves, it'll be Tatis and a bunch of guys getting old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

live with fruit posted:

For as bad as the Betts trade was, the Red Sox still got Verdugo and rid of Price, and the Padres don't have a contract like Price's to dump. If the Padres only get prospects back, they have to go out and replace Soto, which would cut into the savings they're trading their best hitter to get.

Verdugo is a JAG and Jeter Downs is awful. The Red Sox absolutely jacked that trade up even with getting rid of Price

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

live with fruit posted:

The team that makes the most sense for Soto is still the Padres. If Soto leaves, it'll be Tatis and a bunch of guys getting old.

I actually agree, the Padres are loaded with talent and really the best thing for them to do would just be to run it back, and maybe find a manager who can keep the clubhouse a bit more focused. 82 wins is ridiculously low for a team that has Machado, Bogaerts, Tatis, and Soto.

Unfortunately by all accounts it sounds like this season really soured ownership on the current team and now they're looking to slash payroll.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Nodoze posted:

Verdugo is a JAG and Jeter Downs is awful. The Red Sox absolutely jacked that trade up even with getting rid of Price

Verdugo is a knucklehead who hasn't really panned out like it was hoped he would, and Jeter Downs fell into an absolute hole, but Conner Wong looked like a perfectly cromulent starting catcher this year, and that's something?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Sydin posted:

Unfortunately by all accounts it sounds like this season really soured ownership on the current team and now they're looking to slash payroll.

Agreed, none of this would likely be happening if the front office hadn’t already opened the door to speculation.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The Padres could solve their problems by trading prospects for pitching. The offense is set, and they have Musgrove and Darvish who they hope bounce back, they just need pitching depth.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

live with fruit posted:

The Padres could solve their problems by trading prospects for pitching. The offense is set, and they have Musgrove and Darvish who they hope bounce back, they just need pitching depth.

you can't have him

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lmao like half the Cubs' FO is getting poached.

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1717579965841932324

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

What, none of them are leaving to go work for a Trump Super PAC?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

What, none of them are leaving to go work for a Trump Super PAC?

Aren't they leaving a Trump Super PAC?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
The Playoff N/V thread is already going there with which team has the chuddiest fan base

2024 is going to be a long season, isn't it

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

live with fruit posted:

Aren't they leaving a Trump Super PAC?

No the Cubs are the business venture Ricketts siphons money out of to fund his Trump Super PAC, please get it right. :)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mdemone posted:

you can't have him
he’s not pitching next year anyway

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

bawfuls posted:

he’s not pitching next year anyway

you can't have him either

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Eric the Mauve posted:

AFAIK only comp picks are tradeable and I don't think the Yankees have any of those. They could trade some of their international bonus pool I think?

You also can't trade a player just for cash. Best you can do is take on a bad contract for the other team. I don't think there's a good match between the Yankees and Padres in that arena.

Realistically the Yankees don't have the collection of young talent to compete in a trade market for Soto, if the Padres decide to move him. Yankees fans are basically wishcasting that the Padres will maybe just do the Yankees a solid.

I believe they changed the rules so all picks are tradeable even right after the draft?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Forrest on Fire posted:

Gabriel Moreno rules, but y'all have Alejandro Kirk. You don't need 2 franchise catchers!!!

Lmao franchise catcher Alejandro Kirk

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mdemone posted:

you can't have him either
you can’t stop me :colbert:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

I believe they changed the rules so all picks are tradeable even right after the draft?
how do you trade a draft pick after the draft?

You can trade players, not draft picks. The only exception as someone mentioned is some subset of comp picks.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

how do you trade a draft pick after the draft?

You can trade players, not draft picks. The only exception as someone mentioned is some subset of comp picks.

ah that's what I meant lol, that they changed it from trading the freshly drafted player after a year to right away so you don't get the PTBNL shenanigans anymore

guess I misunderstood the post I was quoting, conflated draft picks with freshly drafted players

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
the biggest question about Soto I have is where does he fit in? Ohtani will DH and Mervis is the 1b of the future, so Bellinger has CF and we are set in left and right. wow the half of the Cubs FO that's left needs to start planning for Soto being a FA now

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

bawfuls posted:

you can’t stop me :colbert:

I will get on a plane to kick the rear end of anyone who even slightly threatens to take my good boy

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Meet me in Temecula, mdemone

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

maffew buildings posted:

the biggest question about Soto I have is where does he fit in? Ohtani will DH and Mervis is the 1b of the future, so Bellinger has CF and we are set in left and right. wow the half of the Cubs FO that's left needs to start planning for Soto being a FA now

Soto for GM

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

At least do it the old fashioned way instead of using lovely “AI” to make an uncanny valley horror show

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 26, 2023

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Is that what that is? I couldn't tell it was Ohtani until you mentioned it was AI created and now I kinda see it.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

At least do it the old fashioned way instead of using lovely “AI” to make an uncanny valley horror show

:effort:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I've already made my peace that Ohtani is going to go the Dodgers, which means he's still never gonna get a ring but hey at least he'll know what it feels like to win the division a lot.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

See I didn’t have to put effort in because someone on the internet has already done the work for me.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Sydin posted:

I've already made my peace that Ohtani is going to go the Dodgers, which means he's still never gonna get a ring but hey at least he'll know what it feels like to win the division a lot.

I dunno, the Giants have been dying to give out an albatross contract for two years now and the Dodgers could really use someone who can pitch next year

e: and don't underestimate Cohen's desire to spend a shitload more money

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

what if it turns out the secret sauce the Dodgers were missing all along is the love and friendship of Shohei Ohtani???

Edit: and yeah I’m terrified he’s going to end up in SF

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Not gonna lie, getting Ohtani would be pretty loving close to a high as winning a world series

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sydin posted:

Hey, there might be a lockout-shortened season in 2026.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Lmao franchise catcher Alejandro Kirk

Thanks for Lourdes and Gabriel :)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

I dunno, the Giants have been dying to give out an albatross contract for two years now and the Dodgers could really use someone who can pitch next year

e: and don't underestimate Cohen's desire to spend a shitload more money

I'll believe in Arson Ohtani when he actually reports to Giants spring training and not a moment sooner

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Popete posted:

Soto for GM

wow it's the perfect plan

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

There is no way he wants to live in loving Houston.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

This is all very upsetting

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mdemone posted:

This is all very upsetting
we will take good care of him and he’ll stay close so you can come visit any time you like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

The Dodgers are going to sign Ohtani and Bellinger and they will be BFFs and drive a van around the valley solving mysteries