Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Jerusalem posted:

I'm so grateful that they went all out on producing the full version of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9qbAuNnFU0

:allears:

Holy poo poo they totally nailed the look and feel of Solid Gold. (yes I actually watched it when I was little)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
So I'm not smart enough to figure out exactly how they'll do this but there's got to be a connection between Shetty's virus that attacks the compound V in your blood and Marie's blood bending powers, right?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Oh, poo poo, Marie has the power to suck compound V out of a supe’s blood to depower them, doesn’t she?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Marsupial Ape posted:

Oh, poo poo, Marie has the power to suck compound V out of a supe’s blood to depower them, doesn’t she?

she could just remove all the blood

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

ded posted:

she could just remove all the blood

Or give them a massive blood clot in their brain/heart/etc.

Really she's just remarkably unimaginative in how she applies her power.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Or very possibly just feeling limited by the trauma of how her power originally manifested. At least she has people around her to give her new ideas, hoping the climax involves her taking the initiative in that regard.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Head Exploder can anonymously kill whoever she's looking at, but it's extremely obvious what did it. If Marie turned evil she might be able to assassinate people by causing strokes and embolisms while maintaining a degree of plausible deniability.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Or she could be an utterly revolutionary physician/surgeon, but sure, killing is cool too

(And really, that's down to Vought's lack of imagination too)

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I think they're gonna address this, she said something like "I don't know how I did it" in reference to blowing the guy's dick off, so "I can grab blood that's inside other people's skin" doesn't seem like something she's really thought much about. I think one of the God U people said something similar, "she has no idea how powerful she is" or something.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Chamale posted:

Head Exploder can anonymously kill whoever she's looking at, but it's extremely obvious what did it. If Marie turned evil she might be able to assassinate people by causing strokes and embolisms while maintaining a degree of plausible deniability.

I imagine Marie would have the same vague limiter as Neumann has where she can't do it to supes above a certain, ill-defined power level.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Tender Bender posted:

I think they're gonna address this, she said something like "I don't know how I did it" in reference to blowing the guy's dick off, so "I can grab blood that's inside other people's skin" doesn't seem like something she's really thought much about. I think one of the God U people said something similar, "she has no idea how powerful she is" or something.

It was Shetty, and given that's the character with the evil contagious virus that kills supes plot I don't think it takes too much wild speculation for what her interest in the supe who controls blood is.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

PostNouveau posted:

I imagine Marie would have the same vague limiter as Neumann has where she can't do it to supes above a certain, ill-defined power level.

I'm not sure how anyone is particularly powerful when their head is encased in a blinding bowling ball sized clot of giant person/random bystander/pig's blood and its filled their lungs and turning into spikes.

Like a lot of superpowers there's a spectacular lack of imagination.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tender Bender posted:

Alchenar posted:

It was Shetty, and given that's the character with the evil contagious virus that kills supes plot I don't think it takes too much wild speculation for what her interest in the supe who controls blood is.

It was the evil doctor who said the line. Shetty was the one that said she was off limits to as a test subject to help with his research.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Or she could be an utterly revolutionary physician/surgeon, but sure, killing is cool too

(And really, that's down to Vought's lack of imagination too)

I hope they establish that aside from maybe knowing basic arithmetic and how to read, they have little to no basic education because Vought has kept them stupid and cloistered their entire lives.

Hell, I think it was implied (or outright said, I can't remember) that Starlight was homeschooled so she could participate in all the pageants.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It was the evil doctor who said the line. Shetty was the one that said she was off limits to as a test subject to help with his research.

Off limits "for now" was the trailer in that quote.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Oct 26, 2023

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

I don't think we know that Neumann has any limit besides line of sight.

She hasn't failed or seemed to strain to do it to anyone, and even Homelander seemed uncertain if it would work or not on him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

We know Homelander can be bruised, which means there is at least some capacity for a creative use of Marie's powers to impact on him. She probably couldn't burst one of his blood vessels or pull the trick she used on the rapist and blow his dick up, due to his "invulnerability", but she could potentially control the flow of blood, where it goes, how fast or slow etc.

Which is kind of a moot point because if she ever tried something like that Homelander would just beeline straight to her and turn her into red mist in any case so I guess the show will just have to concentrate on compelling stories and characters instead of smashing their action figures together :shrug:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm on eps 5 of Gen V and this shows really good. That puppet massacre scene was trippy. :v:

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I hope they establish that aside from maybe knowing basic arithmetic and how to read, they have little to no basic education because Vought has kept them stupid and cloistered their entire lives.

I don't think a single student or faculty member has mentioned even the existence of any sort of distribution-credit classes, it all revolves around being a supe so yeah, it's basically a business school in its scope and academic rigor.

This really sets off both the academic and world-building circuits in my brain -- like, imagine the possibilities of academic research in physiology and cardiovascular disease with a blood manipulator, or in physics and material science with a magnetic manipulator -- but it is totally in character with this world (and the point it's trying to make about ours) that nobody can see them as anything other than weapons or tools for profit.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
she can control blood so she can make anyone instantly pass out by just stopping bloodflow

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
she can control blood so if homelander red mists her, she... just becomes a sentient cloud? :thunk:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Eau de MacGowan posted:

she can control blood so if homelander red mists her, she... just becomes a sentient cloud? :thunk:

sounds good to me

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Well I mean it's harder to control the blood if you no longer have a brain!

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

How long have the main characters known each other for? There sure was a lot of outrage and crying betrayal in the last episode.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

I don't think a single student or faculty member has mentioned even the existence of any sort of distribution-credit classes, it all revolves around being a supe so yeah, it's basically a business school in its scope and academic rigor.

This really sets off both the academic and world-building circuits in my brain -- like, imagine the possibilities of academic research in physiology and cardiovascular disease with a blood manipulator, or in physics and material science with a magnetic manipulator -- but it is totally in character with this world (and the point it's trying to make about ours) that nobody can see them as anything other than weapons or tools for profit.

It's nothing but government contracts for Vought to snap up or pharmaceutical patents for them to sit on indefinitely.

I'm more surprised that NO OTHER COUNTRY or agency managed to duplicate the process and that Vought was able to keep the compound V baby doping conspiracy going for so long. I assumed as soon as the gig was up people would be trying to make bootleg V, there's enough jaded supes that would be willing to participate in such an endeavor-what does a supe like PopClaw have to lose when she was already on the verge of homelessness anyway?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

There Bias Two posted:

Or give them a massive blood clot in their brain/heart/etc.

Really she's just remarkably unimaginative in how she applies her power.

Or pull the blood out of their head to drop their blood pressure in their brains to instantly render them unconscious. Or give them a stroke.

Yeah, she's terrifying, she just doesn't realise it yet.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

PostNouveau posted:

Is Neumann limited? I assumed that someone like Homelander's skull is (in theory) just too tough to be affected by whatever her power actually does. Rather than it being an arbitrary power level thing.

What does it do anyway? Is it like a tiny bomb? Can she explode anything like that or just heads? Can she pop balloons?

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Didn't she explode that guy's hands when she got jumped in an alleyway?

I think she just does heads because it's a sure thing but she could explode any part of a body she's looking at. Whether it only works on biology or can be done on inanimate objects I've no idea - it could be a straightforward telekinetic explosion or it might be something that makes cells/tissue specifically detonate.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

SuperTeeJay posted:

How long have the main characters known each other for? There sure was a lot of outrage and crying betrayal in the last episode.

These characters are 18-22, just a month is a long time to them.

Beef Stew
Dec 27, 2009
I know at this point the comics aren't a great source of canon info, especially for minutia like how a specific supe's powers work, but there's a character with similar powers who essentially manipulates air pressure to explode people. I always thought that certain particularly powerful supes like Maeve or Homelander may just be too durable for her to create enough pressure to explode them. But who knows.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Vicky is probably a telekinetic, it's just that she probably just didn't learn how to do anything other than use her ~mind waves~ like an invisible buckshot or .50 cal round.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

These characters are 18-22, just a month is a long time to them.

It's been like 5 days.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Golden Boy's crew seem to have known each other for years (they're, what, juniors now?), and Emma and Marie are mainly justifiably pissed about the invasion of their minds, which is a pretty big thing regardless of how long you know someone.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Vicky is probably a telekinetic, it's just that she probably just didn't learn how to do anything other than use her ~mind waves~ like an invisible buckshot or .50 cal round.

In my head I named it hemokinesis. Oh wait that's Marie nvm

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Golden Boy's crew seem to have known each other for years (they're, what, juniors now?), and Emma and Marie are mainly justifiably pissed about the invasion of their minds, which is a pretty big thing regardless of how long you know someone.

Honestly that's a gripe I have with the show, like undergrad isn't as stratified as high school but do Emma and Marie know any other frosh

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

I guess I would tend to cut them a bit of slack in that regard since the streaming model has adverse incentives to pack more plot into fewer episodes, and to hire as few SAG actors with speaking lines as possible.

Whereas for things creators can control, like at least slipping in passing mentions of the other classes they attend, we have to assume that it's a deliberate choice and these kids are not, like, taking 18th Century English Literature classes in between Building Your Brand 101 and Punch Real Good 203. We could, generously, infer from that that nothing about their college experience is genuinely relatable

edit: I guess they do what they can, though, there was that one freshman lovely influencer who hosed Emma over. And the ranking system doesn't seem to care about class/year at all, so it might make sense that cliques would more readily form around that than anything else.

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 26, 2023

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

There Bias Two posted:

In my head I named it hemokinesis. Oh wait that's Marie nvm

The depressing thing is that Andre should have "blood powers" himself given the hemoglobin in people's blood, but no, DAD was the "magnetic metal guy," so that's all HE can be.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

stev posted:

Is Neumann limited? I assumed that someone like Homelander's skull is (in theory) just too tough to be affected by whatever her power actually does. Rather than it being an arbitrary power level thing.

What does it do anyway? Is it like a tiny bomb? Can she explode anything like that or just heads? Can she pop balloons?

We've only seen her explode living tissue (which hints that it might be related like Marie). In a confrontation with a former classmate, another supe, he manages to get behind her where she cannot use her powers. When part of his hand comes into her field of vision she does the cloudy-eyes thing and blows off half of his hand. This stuns him and she uses her power again which blows half his face off. Some people thought his was because his supe durability prevented a full pop but I think she just didn't get a clean shot; most of her head pops were delivered at a comfortable distance from the victim where it's easier for her to 'focus' and lock on vs trying to wrestle yourself out of a headlock. She uses her power a third time, presumably to put the guy out of his misery. In this instance his entire body explodes so she's capable of full body detonation but perhaps head pops are easier/more reliable.

Interesting detail is that one of her victims in the courthouse scene was Shockwave, A Trains replacement. Not only does he get popped like the rest of them he doesn't even use his super speed! (cmon, what kind of lovely speedster isn't taking advantage of their goddamn power in such a situation?). Since she killed at least two supes and most supes have some baseline durability we can assume the ceiling to her power is quite high. However, Homelander is speedster fast and takes advantage of it more proactively than other similar supes.

Soldier Boy was able to give Homelander a shiner and Maeve was strong enough to pierce his eardrum with a metal spike so he's not invulnerable to supes but it's mainly the combination of durability, strength, speed, and Lazer Vision that makes him so dangerous. Chances are he could just Omega Beam Neumann's eyes out before she could even do enough just to cause him to sneeze.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

It's entirely possible (and probable) that Golden Boy was being juiced up with Sam's blood to potentially use him as a weapon against Homelander.

The virus is probably "Plan B."

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The depressing thing is that Andre should have "blood powers" himself given the hemoglobin in people's blood, but no, DAD was the "magnetic metal guy," so that's all HE can be.

There might be some lower limitations to his power; an adult male only has 4g (roughly less than a quarter) of iron in their body but that's pretty uniformly distributed among 87 Liters of volume. Compare that to a 4g object like a solid coin which is far denser.

I try to imagine it like how it's much easier to physically lift a rock with your bare hands compared to the same mass worth of sand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Because iron in blood is part of a hemoglobin molecule, the outer electrons of the iron atoms are bound up with nitrogen atoms and can't actually align with magnetic fields, so no amount of practical magnetism can affect it (the magnetic field of say a neutron star would, but it would similarly shred every other atom in your body regardless of what element it is).

Magneto lied to you.

Just like that time he bullshitted he could hypnotise people with 'magnetic attraction'.