Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I turned off the PMC Questing mod since I think it was making they game super hitchy for me. I think it may have also increased the amount of PMCs in general too since I've been killing nothing but them and I need to kill scavs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The Looting Bots mod got updated for SPT 3.7.1 a few hours ago.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I think the visceral mod is updated fine, but it's been moved to Nexus, there was some drama or something and he decided to not have it on the normal SPTarkov site anymore. Not sure why

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Wrr posted:

I turned off the PMC Questing mod since I think it was making they game super hitchy for me. I think it may have also increased the amount of PMCs in general too since I've been killing nothing but them and I need to kill scavs.

Yeah the questing bots mod has it's own PMC spawning feature you'll want to disable if you're running SWAG, else you'll find yourself with double the PMCs. As you found, it is also pretty performance intensive. I used it for about 4 raids before I ditched it for more frames.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
I've found Looting bots to be more than sufficient to get the bots running around the map getting into fights, and they do things that actually matter from your perspective, questing bots doesn't make that much of an additional difference for how intensive it is.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Kazinsal posted:

Flea market. 180k for a 100/100.

It's generally easiest to do a scav run or two and turn that into rubles and turn the rubles into a day's worth of gas, unless you have Streamer Server luck and can magically loot five billion rubles worth of poo poo off the dumbest scavs and players known to mankind in a single raid.

you can buy 1 every reset for 168k roubles straight from jaeger lv2 (which unlocks the same time as flea)
so unless you can find the barter pieces for less than that, might as well buy it there

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Would there have been any real benefit to buying one of the higher tier EFT packages? I'm still a noob, so I may have missed the memo that the Gold Tier (or whatever) was the best value. I don't think so, but it just popped into my head so I thought I'd ask.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

null_pointer posted:

Would there have been any real benefit to buying one of the higher tier EFT packages? I'm still a noob, so I may have missed the memo that the Gold Tier (or whatever) was the best value. I don't think so, but it just popped into my head so I thought I'd ask.

If you enjoy the game and can afford the spend, 1000%. The bigger secure container is nice, bigger stash is super helpful, and IMO the bonus trader rep is the most useful part. You can basically coast to level 3 traders without really having to focus on specific tasks too much, eliminating some of the more annoying stretches of the trader LL progression.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

null_pointer posted:

Higher trader reputation from the start, makes levelling them easier. Bigger starting stash space, saves you a ton of money since you don't have to upgrade ingame. More starting gear. Bigger secure container. EoD edition gets a fancy yellow name, and gets Arena for free.

You can upgrade your edition at a reduced cost if these benefits look like something you'd want.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

gently caress. :smithmouth:

quote:

You can upgrade your edition at a reduced cost if these benefits look like something you'd want.

Oh, good! :gbsmith:

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
My first wipe was on a standard account, and I'm a big fan of playing it once that way.

If nothing else, it should prevent you from being one of the morons that screams that there's no in-raid advantage to not having to spend like 30m RUB on stash upgrades (that can go into gear/ammo instead), being able to get easier access to cheap vendor gear/ammo thanks to the rep bonus, and/or the power of having the second largest secure container in the game from level 1.

Then if you are hooked, drop the cash for EoD for the next wipe.

Full disclosure: These days even as a fairly casual player this wipe I'm doing a very limited flea/kinda hardcore self-imposed ruleset, so I'm clearly a glutton for punishment. ;)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Those first few "parity with EoD" stash upgrades used to be a LOT cheaper too, years ago. Then the price climbed up and up. The most noticeable of various little things designed to pressure people into buying EoD.

Jokes on them, I haven't paid a cent for this game. I got an early beta code from some goon. I can't remember his name, but way back when everyone on the discord loved him for being absurdly accurate at throwing grenades long distances. Thanks again, Goon. :tipshat:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
if you like the game without EOD you will like it more with EOD. if you don't like the game without EOD you probably won't like it with EOD either

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

I think the visceral mod is updated fine, but it's been moved to Nexus, there was some drama or something and he decided to not have it on the normal SPTarkov site anymore. Not sure why

Didn't know this, thanks for the heads up.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

The best part about EOD is early wipe and having the space to collect all the poo poo you know you’re going to need ahead of time. It’s really satisfying to turn in 6 collection quests in a row.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The pain of finding a few car batteries (or, god forbid, a tank battery) early and having to cram them in with the rest of your junk.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Flashbacks to being on a standard account and it was 5 white body armours you needed to turn in plus a load of shotguns and you couldn't hand them in as you found them.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Started playing SPTarkov, this is fantastic. If this had co-op it would be 100x better than most of the co-op looter shooter things to come out in the past decade.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Gotta love when a quick 5 minute trip to dorms for the machinety key ends up in a slow waddle to extract (it's the one time the car isn't there), fat with class 5 armor and hundreds of rounds of good ammo from Rashala and the boys.

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009

socialsecurity posted:

Started playing SPTarkov, this is fantastic. If this had co-op it would be 100x better than most of the co-op looter shooter things to come out in the past decade.

Not sure of how to get the server running, since I didn't touch ours. But it exists.
And yeah it rocks. Gotta tweak some settings to make the bots a bit more numerous.

I wonder if the looting bots mod works with it hmm.

Mudlark fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 17, 2023

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Lol I think I need to tweak SAIN's mod AI settings. Got one-shotted by a SCAV in a bush, right in the thorax. I thought SAIN'S had its own no-bush-ESP mod?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

it does, but it's using simple geometric forms from the base game, not true LOS.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
There is an option in SAIN for a more accurate bush detection thing, you have to enable the advanced options to see it. Also, I like to use this https://hub.sp-tarkov.com/files/file/1453-that-s-lit/ it helps bot detection make more sense and be less binary.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

you folks have any opinions on Dark and Darker? I've been checking in on it once in awhile for about a year now but never pulled the trigger because A) it sounds like it's always one day in court away from disappearing and B) it seems to have combat that makes the Elder Scrolls look fluid and graceful

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

dark and darker is a lot of fun, although my crew stopped playing when cheaters started popping up all over. Kinda like tarkov

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

you folks have any opinions on Dark and Darker? I've been checking in on it once in awhile for about a year now but never pulled the trigger because A) it sounds like it's always one day in court away from disappearing and B) it seems to have combat that makes the Elder Scrolls look fluid and graceful

it's combat is really good, don't be thrown off by the pacing of it. whether or not they can keep the combat balanced to a satisfying level is kind of an open question, but the pacing and mechanics of combat in it are really, really good.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

It’s a fun and cool game but I get poo poo on every single time I load in

South
Apr 9, 2001

I am the highest paid lifeguard in the world. Love me.
Looks like EFT: Arena drops tomorrow, December 17th.

Nikita confirmed it in person at DreamHack Hannover.

Access to the Beta will go out in waves. Some people are saying it depends on when you bought the "Bad With Money" edition and how munch time you have played.

Arena already shows up as a tab in the EFT launcher.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikestubbs/2023/12/16/escape-from-tarkov-arena-beta-launches-tomorrow/?sh=20b7089a6756

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Best starting kit is Champion: comes with headset, blue laser, a proper sight and I think heals.

(Most) Kits will cost money, you start with about 1 mil RUB. Gain money and Arena Points (AP) on match wins, lost matches will get you negative APs, match making based on AP (basically ELO from what I've gathered). There are free kits but they are about as bad as you can think. Currently the kits are pretty unbalanced, so don't be surprised when your big man 60-rounder kit comes with M855 rounds.

Player names are linked between Tarkov and Arena, if you change your name in one it'll change in the other as well, so beware.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

nail in the coffin

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
So has anyone gotten access to Arena yet?

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

Tibbeh posted:

In classic BSG fashion it looks like access to Arena was limited to streamers and enough other players so the streamers can play matchmaking consistently. On twitter I saw several people with 2015-17 EOD purchase dates complaining that they didn't get an invite (Nikita said in past TarkovTV that people who bought EOD way back would have priority in the closed beta). I think the main thing driving all of the discontent is that BSG refuses to give a timeline on how invites will roll out, I feel like that would sort of dampen all of the pissed off players.

South
Apr 9, 2001

Tibbeh posted:

The Clap posted:

On twitter I saw several people with 2015-17 EOD purchase dates complaining that they didn't get an invite (Nikita said in past TarkovTV that people who bought EOD way back would have priority in the closed beta).

I don't have access and I upgraded my account to EOD in November of 2017. I have less than 1300 hours in game, and I seem to remember reading somewherethat how much you play will affect when you get the invite. Probably just a rumor, but who knows with BSG.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I just got four emails telling me I'm in, EoD was Jan '18 and I couldn't begin to tell you when I logged into the Arena site.

E: Definitely unlikely that it's too concerned with in-game time, I've played almost nothing since 2019 and I don't think that criteria was ever mentioned by Nikita. I also, to be fair, don't know that they're actually running off any meaningful criteria at all.

Orv fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 17, 2023

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
Yeah I just got the email too and man the servers are getting hammered. 3 MB/S downloads

Orv
May 4, 2011
The fact that it has to do the full EFT load, including the loot that is presumably talking about presets but is still taking the same amount of time as a full map, is extremely funny.

South
Apr 9, 2001

Orv posted:

I just got four emails telling me I'm in, EoD was Jan '18 and I couldn't begin to tell you when I logged into the Arena site.

E: Definitely unlikely that it's too concerned with in-game time, I've played almost nothing since 2019 and I don't think that criteria was ever mentioned by Nikita. I also, to be fair, don't know that they're actually running off any meaningful criteria at all.

Yeah, I just checked and there were five emails from BSG at 17:51 CST. Downloading now.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Just got my arena invite 10 minutes ago. Be on the look out

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....
So many dumb design decisions in this from what I can tell, but I can't stop mashing F5 on my email. BSG strikes again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

.Ataraxia. posted:

So many dumb design decisions in this from what I can tell, but I can't stop mashing F5 on my email. BSG strikes again.

Yeah so, the first and foremost problem is that matchmaking is done off your rank points. You get 25 points for a win and lose 25 points for a loss, which is something the rest of the industry moved away from a decade ago. Then your kit options are not at all taken into consideration when matching, which means even on day two you can already run into someone that you probably can’t reasonably kill if you’re starting late.

Most of the starting presets are dogshit but they rapidly become imbalanced in wild ways. Only one tier into the right Assault tree you’re already sporting a really nice leg meta 153 while a lot of other kits are still working on lovely AKs running PS and SKSes with a bad sight. The tier after that you have good slugs in an 870 while almost every kit at that tier has class 3 armor, meaning all day chest instakills. And that’s just one tree, several others become quickly better than others while some just remain weirdly bad.

The UX is also just weirdly bad. You’re locked into a kit for the entire match so why not just choose one at the ready screen once you know the map? There’s so many places they could have streamlined things from regular Tarkov but the fast PvP side game still takes just as long if not longer to get into a match once you click play.

Regrettably however, the base combat remains really good and it feels a little snappier than regular Tarkov? People die when they take enough damage instead of three seconds later and maybe that’s enough to make me deal with all this bullshit? God help me.

Also I got absolutely annihilated by two streamers on the first day which was a fun reminder of how bad I am now.