Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

also everyone assuming that mooncrash would be the template for deathloop, when it turned out they were developed in a vacuum from each other and deathloop ended up doing the timeloop concept worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Turns out I basically match the minimum system requirements for Alan Wake 2 (assuming I close all my Chrome tabs) so its time to bet everything ($67 CDN) on corporations telling me the truth!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

yeah deathloop was a disappointment. oddly I enjoyed my time with redfall more, but not because it was a better game, obviously. just that it fit a trash niche I enjoyed, while deathloop is a subgenre I treat a lot more seriously and they really failed at the nonlinearity. the fact that you had to do everything in a specific order at the end goes against every immersive sim principle

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I want to wait until I see some PC specific reviews of Alan Wake 2. A lot of these reviews are for the PS5 and I'm worried about the optimization despite just overhauling my entire system with a new CPU and 4070.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Death of a great studio that game was.

At least some of the talented people left to make Weird West, which was no less flawed but infinitely more interesting at the very least.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

AngryBooch posted:

I want to wait until I see some PC specific reviews of Alan Wake 2. A lot of these reviews are for the PS5 and I'm worried about the optimization despite just overhauling my entire system with a new CPU and 4070.

https://twitter.com/Dachsjaeger/status/1717528516739117498

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Hell yes, this is what I was waiting for.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Jossar posted:

Xianxia-esque... card game/auto battler? You set up a bunch of techniques and then duke it out against opponents, with the ability to improve your technique setup every round and increasingly getting better techniques as you advance into higher realms. There's a couple of different modes (and they just started a temporary multiplayer event today), but the most prominent ones are a singleplayer against an increasingly difficult dungeon with CYOA elements and a PvP brawl where you're competing to be at least top 4/8 and fighting against opponents switching off every round, round-robin style. It also has a small introductory puzzle mode and had the beginnings of a story mode when I last checked in a few months ago.

The ever-increasing character roster has several different schools/archtypes with different sub-school styles, but each character has their own unique abilities rewarding certain sub-schools. Most things start out locked in PvP and have to be bought, but the in-game battle pass (which is just a singular one-time thing and then rewards in-game currency ever after) and in-game currency generation methods are fairly generous and can eventually let you get everything except cosmetics. And even then, I think you can at least have the basic version of all the characters in the PvE mode for free.

Any more than that is really the purview of the thread, in which one of the early posts is me giving a more in-depth description of the beginning of the game.

Thank you! This seems extremely my jam.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

hopefully tartarus key will be in this halloween sale...

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I thought the Halloween sale was going to start today but it looks like they are just running regular weekend deals with a top banner for the new ARK game

e: A banner just showed up for it. Pretty lowkey sale

kazil fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 26, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

no discount for tartarus key -__-

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

kazil posted:

I thought the Halloween sale was going to start today but it looks like they are just running regular weekend deals with a top banner for the new ARK game

e: A banner just showed up for it. Pretty lowkey sale

Halloween in general seems like it’s been cancelled

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I will sleep through this sale, thanks Gabe. Money's tight anyway.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

there's a new bundle on steam called the grand pixel adventures bundle, $67 for Wandering Sword, Chained Echoes and Eastward

Powerwash back to the future DLC releases Nov 16th

Sandrock 1.0 is Nov 2nd

Born of Bread will release Dec 5th

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Tiny Timbs posted:

drat woke mind virus

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Tiny Timbs posted:

I feel like it's the exact opposite around my state, there's more elaborate decorations out than I've seen in years.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Deakul posted:

I feel like it's the exact opposite around my state, there's more elaborate decorations out than I've seen in years.

I dunno how many of those 12 foot skeletons Home Depot sold over the last few years but it appears to be trillions.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Deakul posted:

It’s gotten very low energy and sad in my town. Few houses are decorating and Halloween stuff got clearanced out of the stores weeks ago (and was under stocked in the first place)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I felt like those PC specs were very aspirational. Alan Wake 2 looks good but it doesn't look particularly that much better than Control.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I wish reviewers actually tested with older CPUs too instead of just throwing all the GPUs into whatever powerful rig they have set up. Already burned myself hard on the performance of Starfield and BG3 which was heavily CPU bound.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

all games should be reviewed based on Steam Deck performance

if a game doesn't run well on that even on lowest settings, then it's probably gonna be bad news in general on PC

Orv
May 4, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

all games should be reviewed based on Steam Deck performance

if a game doesn't run well on that even on lowest settings, then it's probably gonna be bad news in general on PC

That seems like a real bad idea given the Deck's hardware.

Granted new games don't need to be pushing the hottest graphics tricks every time either but the Deck is already somewhat behind.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Orv posted:

That seems like a real bad idea given the Deck's hardware.
give me Verified or give me death - ben franklin

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

The 7th Guest posted:

give me Verified or give me death - ben franklin

Orv
May 4, 2011
Well, what can you expect from the man who forgot to be president.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Orv posted:

Well, what can you expect from the man who forgot to be president.

that's no way to speak about the man who discovered electricity when he was playing his Steam Deck out in a thunderstorm

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ben franklin came up with the idea of master chief's suit jerking him off, it would be written on a tablet and lost during the revolutionary war, unearthed by top bungie scientists while they were busy digging a grave for every destiny 2 expansion people paid for

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

The 7th Guest posted:

ben franklin came up with the idea of master chief's suit jerking him off, it would be written on a tablet and lost during the revolutionary war, unearthed by top bungie scientists while they were busy digging a grave for every destiny 2 expansion people paid for

Now that's a National Treasure sequel I'd watch.

Orv
May 4, 2011
[Nicolas Cage, hanging from a rusted space boob:] "No, I won't replay the Red War! I can't!"

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Max Payne 2 is the best game because it is directly responsible for the formation of my favourite band

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Max Payne 2 is the best game because it is directly responsible for the formation of my favourite band

With every post you remind me more and more of a guy I know except he hasn't beaten Endwalker.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

SirSamVimes posted:

Which band is that?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Wintermutant posted:

Which band is that?

Poets of the Fall babeeeeee :rock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMT5Tuw0yZk

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 26, 2023

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Wintermutant posted:

Which band is that?

Poets of the Fall. Sam Lake asked a friend of his to get some friends together to put a poem he wrote to music for the game, and that was Late Goodbye. They ended up enjoying it enough that they just became a band.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Anyone know of a good somewhat recent Lets Play for Space Engineers?
I've owned it for a few years but have tried it a few times and never been able to get into it.
Figure I just need a good example of what it has to offer.

Also its free this weekend.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/244850/Space_Engineers/

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

OgNar posted:

Anyone know of a good somewhat recent Lets Play for Space Engineers?
I've owned it for a few years but have tried it a few times and never been able to get into it.
Figure I just need a good example of what it has to offer.

Also its free this weekend.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/244850/Space_Engineers/

Spread out over a couple years and the most recent is like 2 years ago, so not sure if it's quite recent enough for you, but Grey Hunter has a bunch of co-op multiplayer streams of Space Engineers. His group will latch on to a survival/crafting game and do weekend streams for a while. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6WX0yyxWfVTpglM-sp2WlKtNj2YGIhlR

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Oh nice, that's now two bands that the Max Payne series has turned me onto

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Wintermutant posted:

Oh nice, that's now two bands that the Max Payne series has turned me onto
#2 ... HEALTH?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

disposablewords posted:

Spread out over a couple years and the most recent is like 2 years ago, so not sure if it's quite recent enough for you, but Grey Hunter has a bunch of co-op multiplayer streams of Space Engineers. His group will latch on to a survival/crafting game and do weekend streams for a while. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6WX0yyxWfVTpglM-sp2WlKtNj2YGIhlR

I'll take a look, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So what's the Epic launcher like? Is it buggy or a pain in the arse to use, etc?

I kinda wanna play Alan Wake 2, but I've never bought something from Epic.