Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

But can he roll coal without consequence?

the California equivalent is a rolling brownout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Sab0921 posted:

Sorry for my ignorance on this one - Im from Texas - they teach us in school that California is only two things:

1) an urban hellscape where zombie-like hordes accost people on the street and steal from Walgreens which is causing everyone to flee the state
2) endless suburbs where decrepit 1960s ranch homes cost $2 million.

1 and 2 not being congruent with each other is not something that is addressed.

If LA is Houston but with weather that doesn’t make you want to kill yourself, Orange County is the woodlands with sand instead of trees

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Kirios posted:

Plus Northern Arizona / Southern Utah is the most beautiful part of the country.

bees x1000 posted:

Moab expansion team

Hell yeah. Spent Spring break 1994 in Moab with some friends, some mountain bikes, some acid and a lot of weed. A++ would go again other than it would feel incredibly silly to do acid at 52 years old.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

zoux posted:

Is that the Anaheim stereotype
it describes Orange County pretty well

Think of Orange County as the place that chuddy rich white Californians fled to from LA before they started fleeing to Texas

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Ohtani currently lives in an apartment complex within walking distance of Angel's Stadium and apparently spends most of his non-baseball time holed up inside playing video games. A man after my own heart I guess, but realistically I don't think he actually cares much about where he lands in terms of vibrant city culture. By all accounts the guy just wants to play for a competitive team.

Sab0921 posted:

Sorry for my ignorance on this one - Im from Texas - they teach us in school that California is only two things:

1) an urban hellscape where zombie-like hordes accost people on the street and steal from Walgreens which is causing everyone to flee the state
2) endless suburbs where decrepit 1960s ranch homes cost $2 million.

1 and 2 not being congruent with each other is not something that is addressed.

The $2M for a house built in the 50's with no A/C and a sinking foundation part are accurate, at least. :v: The suburban sprawl part is definitely true in a lot of places as well, I just recently moved from San Jose which was a rinky-dink urban downtown surrounded by dozens upon dozens of miles of suburbs and a lot of malls.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

Ohtani currently lives in an apartment complex within walking distance of Angel's Stadium and apparently spends most of his non-baseball time holed up inside playing video games.

Ohtani owns

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sounds like he rents

https://twitter.com/BenDuBose/status/1717618646111973660

I'm....I'm just so happpy

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 26, 2023

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Popete posted:

the California equivalent is a rolling brownout
as much of a disaster as the CA grid is, it’s still more reliable than Texas

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

In that your power will get reliably shut off during fire season if you're reliant on some transmission lines in a windy area PG&E refuses to spend the money to bury so they can make the next executive bonus payout.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bawfuls posted:

Yeah actually CA is the one state that cannot make that claim. And really, power grids across the nation are in shambles; it's more of a demand exceeding supply issue than it is a grid management situation though (though every state has chronically underfunded and ignored its grid infrastructure). TX, NY, FL, and CA are all looking at big time supply shortfalls in the next decade given growth trends

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I live in SoCal so I don’t concern myself with PG&E fuckups up north :smuggo:

(Instead I pay the highest rates in the country to SDGE)

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
At least the CA governor didn't invite bitcoin scammers to set up shop there after China kicked them out. CA grid still sucks.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

zoux posted:

Sounds like he rents

https://twitter.com/BenDuBose/status/1717618646111973660

I'm....I'm just so happpy

I guess it's spry young 48 year old Joe Espada's time to shine.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Sydin posted:

Ohtani currently lives in an apartment complex within walking distance of Angel's Stadium and apparently spends most of his non-baseball time holed up inside playing video games. A man after my own heart I guess, but realistically I don't think he actually cares much about where he lands in terms of vibrant city culture. By all accounts the guy just wants to play for a competitive team.

I really want his to be true. He is a superstar athlete in the celebrity capital of the universe and just chills at home playing Tears of the Kingdom

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

zoux posted:

Yeah actually CA is the one state that cannot make that claim. And really, power grids across the nation are in shambles; it's more of a demand exceeding supply issue than it is a grid management situation though (though every state has chronically underfunded and ignored its grid infrastructure). TX, NY, FL, and CA are all looking at big time supply shortfalls in the next decade given growth trends
The problem is more that California is trying to aggressively decarbonize its grid but the main way they've been achieving that is through building out solar PV, and utility-scale energy storage tech just doesn't exist yet such that you could generate and store 10's of GWh's to meet grid demand after the sun sets. The compromise so far has been natural gas plants but that's not gonna last forever and with seemingly no in-state political will to invest in new nuclear, the answer in Sacramento to how all these problems will be resolved is "we'll just keep building solar and the battery tech we need will magically appear before our 2045 clean energy deadline because gosh darn it we're the state of innovators and inventors and geniuses!" :downs:

Sab0921 posted:

I really want his to be true. He is a superstar athlete in the celebrity capital of the universe and just chills at home playing Tears of the Kingdom
It's king poo poo, truly living the dream.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

We also “decarbonize our grid” by buying dirty coal power from plants in NV and UT

I’ve no doubt that some day we’ll pull the same trick with natural gas.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Popete posted:

I do not understand why Yankee fans insist Gleyber Torres is a bad player.

Did I say he is a bad player? I said he will never start on a championship team. OPS+ of 118 and 113 the last two years, exactly in line with his career mark of 115. He is an above average hitter. He stays relatively healthy. These are the positives. His home runs and (occasional)
doubles are what is likely to show up on a highlight reel that might be seen by fans around the league.

-4 DRS and 0.0 dWAR last year at second base. 13/19 on stolen base attempts or 68%, which doesn't take into account all his baserunning mistakes. If you watch him every day (presumably only Yankee fans do this), he makes 3-4 mental mistakes every week that either cost the Yankees an out or give their opponents an extra one.

To look at the whole picture: above average hitter, below average defender, and well below average baserunner. Taken together, that is a very average player, of the type you will only see a couple of on a World Series team, and usually those guys are light-hitting defensive whizzes.

I stand by what I said.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

bawfuls posted:

I live in SoCal so I don’t concern myself with PG&E fuckups up north :smuggo:

(Instead I pay the highest rates in the country to SDGE)

Just had my first $0 monthly bill with SDGE thanks to solar (and the state credit this month). Feels pretty good after $250-400 bills for so long

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
No team is made up of solely elite players, Gleyber Torres is a good and still young player who has improved the past 2 seasons. He was the Yankees 3rd best position player by bWAR this season.

He's not the greatest but he is also not really the Yankees problem.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

OPS+ of the Arizona Diamondbacks:

How could a team ever even make it to the World Series with a middle infielder OPS+ing 115??

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

No team is made up of solely elite players, Gleyber Torres is a good and still young player who has improved the past 2 seasons. He was the Yankees 3rd best position player by bWAR this season.

He's not the greatest but he is also not really the Yankees problem.

Incredible yankee fan brain to have this be the offensive reality of your season and decide it's Gleyber who's the problem and needs to go. :allears:

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Sab0921 posted:

As long as he doesn't miss the ALCS cause of it like Joel Zumaya.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Sydin posted:

Incredible yankee fan brain to have this be the offensive reality of your season and decide it's Gleyber who's the problem and needs to go. :allears:

In all fairness it’s more of “who can we put on the trade market that might get even the smallest amount of value in return”

But yeah the attitude of “they can never win with this player being a full time starter” should’ve gone away in every sport after the Eli Manning era

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

live with fruit posted:

As long as he doesn't miss the ALCS cause of it like Joel Zumaya.

Was that the guy who got hurt playing Guitar Hero? I was in college and thought that injury report was hilarious, but now wonder if it was cover for something else.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Dinosaurs! posted:

Was that the guy who got hurt playing Guitar Hero? I was in college and thought that injury report was hilarious, but now wonder if it was cover for something else.

https://www.theonion.com/joel-zumaya-agrees-to-throw-one-last-amazing-pitch-1819573260

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Did I say he is a bad player? I said he will never start on a championship team. OPS+ of 118 and 113 the last two years, exactly in line with his career mark of 115. He is an above average hitter. He stays relatively healthy. These are the positives. His home runs and (occasional)
doubles are what is likely to show up on a highlight reel that might be seen by fans around the league.

-4 DRS and 0.0 dWAR last year at second base. 13/19 on stolen base attempts or 68%, which doesn't take into account all his baserunning mistakes. If you watch him every day (presumably only Yankee fans do this), he makes 3-4 mental mistakes every week that either cost the Yankees an out or give their opponents an extra one.

To look at the whole picture: above average hitter, below average defender, and well below average baserunner. Taken together, that is a very average player, of the type you will only see a couple of on a World Series team, and usually those guys are light-hitting defensive whizzes.

I stand by what I said.
It’s your last paragraph that doesn’t work. It relies on these kind of nebulous undefinable old school ideas of baseball scouting or something. It’s fine and good to acknowledge Gleyber’s flaws. The question is if there’s a better option that doesn’t cost more than you’re gaining. If Gleyber is the difference in getting Juan Soto maybe you do it if you can keep Volpe and Peraza. Maybe you do it if you can’t and just count on Soto making up the difference of whatever you have to do. These are fine evaluations. But the way Yankee fans have simply targeted Gleyber as a problem that has to be expelled from the team is just ridiculous. Especially when he’s been one of most productive members of the team the last season or two. That his flaws are largely mental makes it easy for sports radio to get mad about them after a loss and make it all about him. But then again it also means those things are easier to fix than something physical. But he’s been labeled the “trade him for a bag of balls” and “we can’t win with him” guy.

I said it late in the season. There was a week where he had three monster games in a row and then one bad game where he committed two errors. And I heard sports radio complain “this is who he is and we’ll never win with him”. But we did. We won three games in no small part to him. And lost one. All that counts.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I completely forgot they were doing a draft lottery now:

quote:

The annual MLB Draft Lottery will be held at the Winter Meetings in Nashville on Tuesday, December 5. This will be the second year that the lottery system has been used after it was included in the new CBA with the hope of providing less incentive for teams to tank during the regular season. The lottery covers the first six picks of the draft and includes all non-playoff teams except the Washington Nationals.

Despite having the fifth worst record during the regular season, the Nationals are excluded because teams that pay revenue sharing dollars are not allowed to be selected in consecutive lotteries.

The Oakland Athletics, Kansas City Royals and Colorado Rockies will all enter the lottery with an 18.3 percent chance of landing the No. 1 overall pick.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sydin posted:

He's wasn't the biggest problem but he's also an underachieving player who doesn't run the bases well or play good defense because of constant mental lapses and who most yankee fans feel has very little upside at this point. It's also unlikely that the team will extend him. He's also one of their more tradable assets that they can use to reshape a roster that BADLY needs it. I think most Yankee fans are just tired of looking at these same players year after year.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

STAC Goat posted:

It’s your last paragraph that doesn’t work. It relies on these kind of nebulous undefinable old school ideas of baseball scouting or something. It’s fine and good to acknowledge Gleyber’s flaws. The question is if there’s a better option that doesn’t cost more than you’re gaining. If Gleyber is the difference in getting Juan Soto maybe you do it if you can keep Volpe and Peraza. Maybe you do it if you can’t and just count on Soto making up the difference of whatever you have to do. These are fine evaluations. But the way Yankee fans have simply targeted Gleyber as a problem that has to be expelled from the team is just ridiculous. Especially when he’s been one of most productive members of the team the last season or two. That his flaws are largely mental makes it easy for sports radio to get mad about them after a loss and make it all about him. But then again it also means those things are easier to fix than something physical. But he’s been labeled the “trade him for a bag of balls” and “we can’t win with him” guy.

I said it late in the season. There was a week where he had three monster games in a row and then one bad game where he committed two errors. And I heard sports radio complain “this is who he is and we’ll never win with him”. But we did. We won three games in no small part to him. And lost one. All that counts.

I agree with you. I don’t get the narrative that he’s this anchor for the team. He’s a streaky hitter with 00s-era defense and has a tendency to hit well with RISP. He makes baserunning errors but also has a couple bizarre plays a month where he manufactures a run by scrambling like he’s running against a coed softball team’s defense.

You could absolutely get value on the trade block out of him but he’s not a centerpiece for a superstar and unless you’re very high on Volpe going to 2b and surpassing Gleyber’s offense (not something you can count on) it seems silly to get rid of the only dude in the lineup other than Judge that hit better than average last year.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

He's wasn't the biggest problem but he's also an underachieving player who doesn't run the bases well or play good defense because of constant mental lapses and who most yankee fans feel has very little upside at this point. It's also unlikely that the team will extend him. He's also one of their more tradable assets that they can use to reshape a roster that BADLY needs it. I think most Yankee fans are just tired of looking at these same players year after year.
sounds like a coaching problem

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I feel like I am going to have to run the Phillies for awhile

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well Played Mauer posted:

I agree with you. I don’t get the narrative that he’s this anchor for the team. He’s a streaky hitter with 00s-era defense and has a tendency to hit well with RISP. He makes baserunning errors but also has a couple bizarre plays a month where he manufactures a run by scrambling like he’s running against a coed softball team’s defense.

You could absolutely get value on the trade block out of him but he’s not a centerpiece for a superstar and unless you’re very high on Volpe going to 2b and surpassing Gleyber’s offense (not something you can count on) it seems silly to get rid of the only dude in the lineup other than Judge that hit better than average last year.

And I think that’s kind of how the Yankees see him. Part of the narrative on Gleyber is that every time a trade rumor comes up he’s mentioned as part of it and when they ask Cashman he gives his standard “we explore all options” answer. So some reporter says “is Gleyber on the block?”, Cashman never says “no”, and an article is written about how the Yankees wanna get rid of him. And that feeds the sports radio fervor that focuses on him because he’s an easy target with his mental errors and drop in power.

I think the reality is that Cashman would move him if it makes sense and improved the team. But he’s not a prospect or failing player. He’s a meaningful and productive part of the team who is young and relatively Inexpensive. So you’re never gonna just give him away the way some fans want. And a deal to get someone like Soto would require much more than just him which is where those deals fall apart. Maybe you’d trade Gleyber or Volpe for Soto. But do you trade both plus more? Because that’s probably the cost.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

bawfuls posted:

sounds like a coaching problem

The Yankees have a MASSIVE player development problem and it appears that they let Casey walk because he wasn't in line with the rest of the organization that has produced that massive player development problem.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
San Diego has a really good 2b already so Torres is unlikely to interest them.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

As I said I don’t imagine there’s much to the Soto story. I’m sure Cashman acquired. I’m sure he’s available for a price. I doubt the Yankees have the package to get it done without dramatically hurting their existing team and creating more holes. And with Soto headed to free agency I doubt he’s a guy you sell out for.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

San Diego has a really good 2b already so Torres is unlikely to interest them.

Their needs are what, 1B, CF, pitching?

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I completely forgot they were doing a draft lottery now:

It's so loving stupid and I know the Royals are going to somehow get hosed because of it.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
As others have said, Torres is far from the largest problem. He is, however, one of the solvable ones. Unless something changes radically, the Yankees seem committed to a strength and conditioning staff that has overseen a flurry of injured players since 2017. That is largely the chronic issue with Stanton, who they are committed to, and the acute issues with various ailments for LeMahieu, Rizzo, Judge, and Rodon. Those are five of your six highest-paid players. You are not moving those guys, for better or worse.

So who can you move to start turning things around and make room for younger players? Gleyber Torres. I would not sign him long-term, and so trading him this offseason makes more sense than holding on by far.

Rizzo has just the one more year, and may recover and play better without post-concussion syndrome. The longer you hold stanton, the more likely you will be able to move off him by eating some of the rest of the money. As I have said, they need to transition in '24 to set up for a big run in '25. Who with any value do they move on from if not Torres?

Well Played Mauer posted:

Volpe going to 2b and surpassing Gleyber’s offense (not something you can count on) it seems silly to get rid of the only dude in the lineup other than Judge that hit better than average last year.

Torres had 28 HRS and 68 RBIs last year batting consistently in the middle of the order (and right behind or two behind Judge [the only guy on the team who gets on base a lot] for almost 100 games), while Volpe had 21 and 60 hitting ninth or first behind nobodies. Volpe is already a better hitter than Torres and the numbers will all reflect that next year.

Legendary Ptarmigan fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 27, 2023

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It probably makes more sense if they want to trade him to wait until the deadline. The Yankees will likely be competing next year as you would expect some bounce back from Rizzo/Stanton/LeMahieu. If they are out of the race by the deadline then you move Torres, it doesn't really make sense to move him now unless you're committing to a rebuild and don't want to contend next season (seems unlikely).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

It's much easier to make big trades in the offseason than at the deadline... what are you talking about?