Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rock Puncher posted:

Finished cyberpunk PL / 2.0 and it is rad as hell to play, didn't really care for the story but drat is it fun dashing and double jumping around.

IMO all the double-jumpers should try spending a while with the charge jump. I didn't like it as much for the first several hours using it, but after using it for a really long time I've grown to like it more. You get noticeably more vertical height from it when it's fully charged.

I think that double-jump is generally the best for "combat jumping" (like when you want to jump and air-dash to close in on enemies) while charge jump is best for traversal, like going over walls or jumping onto buildings (both are often heights that are a bit too high for double-jump, but can be scaled with charge jump). Charge jump can also be satisfying with blunt weapons, since you can just do one giant leap and come down with your superhero landing.

I wish that stuff like the "sprint faster" or "move faster" legs weren't mutually exclusive with the jumping legs, since I consider the jumping ones to basically be necessary - they just bring too much to the table for me to ever willingly trade them for anything else.

TontoCorazon posted:

Alan Wake 2 apparently has gone more survival horror.

I'm kinda sad at this, because the game seems really interesting, but I just can't handle survival horror at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

alan wake 1 was good, the combat even had a pretty good rhythm to it once you got into it and the 92 visual filters gave it a unique sorta dreamy painting look that they havent really tried to replicate it seems.
american nightmare was more actiony, i forget what key thing they changed about the way the torches recharged but it broke the tension of the gameplay entirely imo. iirc the torch recharges faster and also while you're shooting or reloading so you never had to use a single battery for the whole game whereas in 1 theres a tradoff between offense and managing light

i prefer AW1 combat to control's really, though it did become a bit of a combat slog towards the end like most remedy games

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I dislike how in American Nightmare your torch doesn't damage their shields unless you are focusing, whereas in AW1 it still weakens them so it's not completely useless outside of when you're using the resource.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I'm tempted to replay the first game because the last time I played it was when it came out on xbox.

But also there's too many video games and I can just, play the new one and then maybe other games I haven't played or wanted to play more.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
modern product placement lmao

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i played it through recently and enjoyed it quite a lot, it needs more barry and general wacky bullshit or alan being an rear end in a top hat and less "100 guys attack you" parts towards the end

also i cant tell if the lovely portrayal of women in the series (mainly thinking american nightmare) is intentional and alan is a misogynist lathe of heavening them or if the writers are just very gamedev

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Never played American Nightmare forgot about that. Guess I should read the plot before Wake 2

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The whole Mr Scratch plot line seems to disappear completely and gets no mention in Control, so I assume that's covered in American Nightmare or something?

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

alan wake is related to control?

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Goon Boots posted:

yeah, he's a major feature of the game's plot, although he only shows up in the DLC

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Mr. Scratch is mentioned in the Control DLC as still loving with Alice Wake

Goon Boots posted:

Yeah shared universe. And a whole DLC dedicated to Alan Wake stuff for Control

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i dont really remember how all that ended
mr scratch sent alan wakes consciousness to the negative zone and is inhabiting his body, right?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Basically yeah. Up to all sorts of evil schemes and wicked pranks

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Stumbled into twin peaks.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

DaysBefore posted:

Basically yeah. Up to all sorts of evil schemes and wicked pranks

hot take time alan wake is a fictional biography of stephen king (in the way RRR was). the underwater world and mr scratch represent his alcoholism and alan wake 2 is going to be a metaphor for recovery

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

SIGNALIS:

Wanderer posted:

A year later, rose-engine has released version 1.2 of the game, which includes a couple of QOL options regarding the inventory:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1262350/SIGNALIS/

This includes a mode where you get 8 slots and the flashlight/eidetic module don't use them.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Al! posted:

hot take time alan wake is a fictional biography of stephen king (in the way RRR was). the underwater world and mr scratch represent his alcoholism and alan wake 2 is going to be a metaphor for recovery

Looking forward to the minivan frogger level

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

erosion posted:

which video game is this?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Vishass posted:

Looking forward to the minivan frogger level

there is a point where a haunted truck tries to kill him

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Al! posted:

there is a point where a haunted truck tries to kill him

was gonna ask what symbolizes the mountains of cocaine and well there ya go

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

erosion posted:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Al! posted:

So Max Payne is just Gunslinger's other adventure in new york?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

loquacius posted:

I used the voucher to buy this but still can't play it as per my wife's deal with our daughter RE potty-training

you're really not supposed to put too much pressure on your kid to potty-train because it'll give them a complex about all sorts of poo poo with their body but man I keep having to change a 3-year-old's rancid poops while thinking about how I could be playing Mario Wonder with her instead

look i know this isn't a thread for comiseration but i had the same poo poo happen and just keep on keeping on

also mario wonder does rule looking forward to smrpg

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Buck Wildman posted:

both new yakuzas are gonna rule

i liked yakuza like a dragon a bunch and its too bad they probably won't go back to strict rpg again

but they're all good games, i owe kiwami for getting me into the series

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

hubris.height posted:

i liked yakuza like a dragon a bunch and its too bad they probably won't go back to strict rpg again

but they're all good games, i owe kiwami for getting me into the series

Infinite Wealth is the same DQ style RPG isn't it?

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

if they just fix characters getting stuck far away from combat and needing to run up to the battle to do their attacks then infinite wealth is an immediate 10 for me

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Al! posted:

Ice cold take, they are 100% just fake Stephen King biographies

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

So Max Payne is just Gunslinger's other adventure in new york?

1000%

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Mr. Sharps posted:

was gonna ask what symbolizes the mountains of cocaine and well there ya go

p sure stephen king said he cant remember anything about making the movie maximum overdrive, about cars that come to life and drive themselves, because he was on so much coke at the time

the symbolism runs v deep in alan wake

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I don't understand how they can give you a shoulder mounted lazer shotgun and expect me to pick anything else.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/tombomp/status/1717641500891238536?t=A_SPWwV4P4TrHyAY8Ob6ZQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/tombomp/status/1717649920138596843?t=pmDPA6izoNm0F5WjaAemhA&s=19

Lol so not only is Cities Skylines 2 slow because individual citizens are modeled down to their teeth, they're modeled this way because the studio used generative AI to make the models (and then didn't double check the work?)

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

i wanna try it on gfn to see how bad it is but then i feel like i'd just regret not spending the time playing w&r instead??

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

also all the dishonored games are on gfn + gamepass at the moment so why play broken games when i can play good ones?

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

ai generated dongs

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Infinite Wealth is the same DQ style RPG isn't it?

yes

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lib and let die posted:

also all the dishonored games are on gfn + gamepass at the moment so why play broken games when i can play good ones?

Dishonored ftw

orly
Oct 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/tombomp/status/1717641500891238536?t=A_SPWwV4P4TrHyAY8Ob6ZQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/tombomp/status/1717649920138596843?t=pmDPA6izoNm0F5WjaAemhA&s=19

Lol so not only is Cities Skylines 2 slow because individual citizens are modeled down to their teeth, they're modeled this way because the studio used generative AI to make the models (and then didn't double check the work?)

It doesnt look like a generative AI, it's just some parameteric character designer

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

this can’t be the whole story because it runs like rear end even when looking straight down at a flat open plane

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Stranger of Paradise had the same problem where the enemy models were just way too goddamned detailed that they made the game chug

doesn't it take more work to add that level of fidelity, why are they bothering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
also turning off depth of field in CS2 gave me +15 fps