Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Bilirubin posted:

Thich Nhat Hahn actually refers to highly traumatized people as hungry ghosts, so to the original question asked by OP yes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3-aJON5780

thanks that's a great vid I've sent to a few folks now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I feel spiritually like a hungry ghost that's tasted healing and is ravenous for more and i love that video even though it made me cry lol

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009
The metaphor about having a throat like a needle is some heavy poo poo.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

buddhism knocks it out of the park in identifying desire as the root of human suffering then applying that core belief to all the things that cause us to suffer such as in the thich nhat hahn talk

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Marzzle posted:

buddhism knocks it out of the park in identifying desire as the root of human suffering then applying that core belief to all the things that cause us to suffer such as in the thich nhat hahn talk

This kind of brings to mind the thread conversation about "The Prophet," where negative sentiment for the book was expressed due to concern its teachings could be misinterpreted and misapplied. I remember at the time I expressed my own sentiment that such a possibility does not necessarily mean the content itself was harmful or bad; the lessons the author wished to impart might not have been intended "for" that audience that would take it too literally, and not every piece of spiritual advice is for everyone always.

I do not consider myself to know much about Buddhism, but in reading the post above I definitely feel the idea that desire is the root of suffering is another spiritual teaching that is not applicable to every situation always, and could be easily misinterpreted or pressed like a surface dressing to situations that do not call for it. Desire itself is not inherently bad or harmful. What matters is what we desire, and how we express and act upon it.

Desire can absolutely grow suffering. But it can also grow action, progress, love, joy, change, passion, a willingness to make things better instead of saying: Well, caring is hard, and nothing matters.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Is there a book about Aztec or Mayan mushroom ceremonies?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

This kind of brings to mind the thread conversation about "The Prophet," where negative sentiment for the book was expressed due to concern its teachings could be misinterpreted and misapplied. I remember at the time I expressed my own sentiment that such a possibility does not necessarily mean the content itself was harmful or bad; the lessons the author wished to impart might not have been intended "for" that audience that would take it too literally, and not every piece of spiritual advice is for everyone always.

I do not consider myself to know much about Buddhism, but in reading the post above I definitely feel the idea that desire is the root of suffering is another spiritual teaching that is not applicable to every situation always, and could be easily misinterpreted or pressed like a surface dressing to situations that do not call for it. Desire itself is not inherently bad or harmful. What matters is what we desire, and how we express and act upon it.

Desire can absolutely grow suffering. But it can also grow action, progress, love, joy, change, passion, a willingness to make things better instead of saying: Well, caring is hard, and nothing matters.

Beautifully said. I love both Eastern and Western spiritual traditions but for different reasons. Eastern traditions usually aim for balance and inner peace, but from a Western point of view this could easily be seen as apathy, selfishness and "giving up".

OTOH, Western traditions are focusing a bit more on a dynamic, going inwards, and then outwards back to the world to share with others. And this could be seen as the path to suffering from an Eastern point of view.

In the end I don't think they are so different, especially when you look at their traditions of mysticism. Both have a role to play, Eastern traditions can help with quieting the storms of life, and Western traditions can help with embracing empathy in order to change the status quo.

Both are equally valuable, but I can't help going back to these verses that say that suffering isn't always something to be avoided at all costs, because everything that goes down eventually goes back up (and reversely):

"But if in your fear you would seek only
love’s peace and love’s pleasure,
Then it is better for you that you cover
your nakedness and pass out of love’s
threshing-floor,
Into the seasonless world where you
shall laugh, but not all of your laughter,
and weep, but not all of your tears."

For example, if I really wanted to end my suffering then I would probably still be single and without children. I made my choices knowing they would bring suffering. And most of them I don't regret them. But having tools to be more at peace with myself and the world is also very valuable

Life is a land of contrast
:goonsay:

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Sorry, but desire is always the root of all suffering. The entire concept of "Separateness" is rooted in the desire of the universe to understand itself. Can't learn, grow, progress, have joy, experience change, passion or a willingness to do anything while being the sum total of all infinities after all.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

there's a differentiation of "unwholesome" desire and "properly channeled" desire. it's through the act of mindfulness meditation that you're supposed to learn to channel desire in the right direction (usually spiritual growth which can mean a lot of different things). buddhism is a faith about paradox but I suppose most faiths are. none of it makes much sense if you don't get the insight into your own consciousness you gain from meditation

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

you can still want to make the world a better place but buddhism basically tries to get you to take your ego out of it and go about your improving because of a sort of sense of spiritual duty rather than worldly desire. it's easy to misprecieve buddhism as a sort of nihilistic faith but the idea of extinguishing desire is sorta the same as cultivating a better, more principled self acting in line with values that exist outside the mundane world :shrug:

Marzzle has issued a correction as of 21:21 on Oct 26, 2023

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Marzzle posted:

you can still want to make the world a better place but buddhism basically tries to get you to take your ego out of it and go about your improving because of a sort of sense of spiritual duty rather than worldly desire

Western traditions aren't so different: You are supposed to do the path inwards first, through the labyrinth of your soul, where you reconcile with your ego, before going outwards to share the treasures you amassed on your journey, not to satisfy a desire, but simply out of love.

Like I said, they aren't so different if you look at them from the right perspective

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Like I said, they aren't so different if you look at them from the right perspective

I agree 100%. I like to talk about the concept of "agape" in christianity to try and explain the parallels to folks and demonstrate that the 2 faiths aren't really that different outside of some dismissable tribal dressings

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

I prefer soto zen basically because it's like a group fitness class for your mind. having a group of folk to do mindfulness meditation with for an hour or so is a big selling point for me. I actually learned mindfulness meditation from a presbyterian student group in college that didn't distinguish between the 2 religions very much at all

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

In the end I don't think they are so different, especially when you look at their traditions of mysticism. Both have a role to play, Eastern traditions can help with quieting the storms of life, and Western traditions can help with embracing empathy in order to change the status quo.

with regards to this, I think Buddhism and Taosim are more readily situated to doing the work that needs to happen on an individual level. That said, I think there are people that get too lost in detaching themselves from suffering via things like meditative practice are mostly just inviting dissociative disorders into their lives as a cope. It certainly feels like a problem in the 'buddhism' that came to us stateside during the counter-culture. That almost-atheistic non-religion kind of buddhism? That poo poo feels like a dangerous dead end. There are some issues I take with some of the more hardcore ascetic buddhist assessments of the problem on earth too.

But I think the west never really, or has only just, begun to develop spiritually in a direction that is concerned with the damage an individual accumulates over lifetime/s, and how to heal it. Technically Christianity claims that, but in practice there has never been anything within it that actually operates in a healing manner, if you're talking about doctrine or ritual or worldview, it's shockingly absent from a lot of Christianities, and is a void to be filled productively for anybody looking to actually use these faiths for healing/bettering purposes.

the mystic approach is about integrating what works in seeking personal experience with the divine in a given framework, and in that way, mystics are more given to syncretism, and a desire to bridge personal, healing faith with society wide applications of spiritual matters.

Mysticism is at the heart of what makes belief worthy. Religion without an active and healthy mystical tradition is dead religion. It's a self sustaining social order that's easily abused by the powerful. Not to say mystics should be tyrants, but they should be the point of insight and thought, and it's a role our society desperately needs to cultivate more of.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Sextro posted:

Sorry, but desire is always the root of all suffering. The entire concept of "Separateness" is rooted in the desire of the universe to understand itself. Can't learn, grow, progress, have joy, experience change, passion or a willingness to do anything while being the sum total of all infinities after all.

But I believe what you are actually saying here then is that existence is suffering, no? You are talking ontology and I was more referring to a colloquialism of "desire is the root of all suffering" in the way one might say "money is the root of all evil." (Personally, I think greed is the noun I would nominate for that sentence.)

But if I am fundamentally misunderstanding what the declaration implies then my point is moot regardless :) What I meant was something more in line with what SpaceGoat expanded on, eloquently I thought.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

i love this thread :shobon:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

new tibees short just dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhPAw-_9BKw

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

But I believe what you are actually saying here then is that existence is suffering, no? You are talking ontology and I was more referring to a colloquialism of "desire is the root of all suffering" in the way one might say "money is the root of all evil." (Personally, I think greed is the noun I would nominate for that sentence.)

But if I am fundamentally misunderstanding what the declaration implies then my point is moot regardless :) What I meant was something more in line with what SpaceGoat expanded on, eloquently I thought.

Language is hard and makes communication a struggle, that's why I like forums (and this thread especially) because, yes, I am in agreement with SpaceGoat's greater expansion on the issue. I think existence as suffering as an aphorism does too much to occlude the positive that comes from experiencing existence. A tree does not desire to cast a cool shadow and provide comfort to all around, but it exists and does these things does it not?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Marzzle posted:

I agree 100%. I like to talk about the concept of "agape" in

:goatsecx:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

agape is an unfortunate word to loan into english, but agape is the most beautiful form of love and it's transcendent when one channels it

getting hosed up your rear end is also great, however.

inchworm
Jun 23, 2023
the aitees are REALLY listening now

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Riot Bimbo posted:

getting hosed up your rear end is also great, however.

10/10 probees agree

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

*Runs into thread* All is transient!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Sextro posted:

Language is hard and makes communication a struggle, that's why I like forums (and this thread especially) because, yes, I am in agreement with SpaceGoat's greater expansion on the issue. I think existence as suffering as an aphorism does too much to occlude the positive that comes from experiencing existence. A tree does not desire to cast a cool shadow and provide comfort to all around, but it exists and does these things does it not?

:buddy::hf::buddy: communication is indeed a struggle but when it works it's my favorite. I also really liked Riot Bimbo's points here

Riot Bimbo posted:

the mystic approach is about integrating what works in seeking personal experience with the divine in a given framework, and in that way, mystics are more given to syncretism, and a desire to bridge personal, healing faith with society wide applications of spiritual matters.

Mysticism is at the heart of what makes belief worthy. Religion without an active and healthy mystical tradition is dead religion. It's a self sustaining social order that's easily abused by the powerful. Not to say mystics should be tyrants, but they should be the point of insight and thought, and it's a role our society desperately needs to cultivate more of.

sometimes I feel as though I make a terrible roll on expressing myself correctly but then when I am fortunate a couple rhetors better than I figure it out and say it better.

And to your point about whether the statement "existence is suffering" is true, I don't actually think that I believe that. Existence "is." But if you are ontologically speaking equating generalized existence with having had the desire to exist, and making the statement that desire is suffering, then it would seem to follow that if desire is suffering, and existence is desire, then existence is itself suffering too.

Maybe. I am just playing the advocate now, I think existence is pretty neutral really :) :devil: positive in the negative.

LITERALLY A BIRD has issued a correction as of 22:35 on Oct 26, 2023

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Kind of on topic - I'm halfway through The Book of Chuang Tzu and I highly recommend it.

A meandering collection of delightful tales that poke fun at our desire to know and control the world. It's striking how subversive and relevant they are after all this time.

quote:

Carpenter Shih went to Chi and, when he got to Crooked Shaft, he saw a serrate oak standing by the village shrine. It was broad enough to shelter several thousand oxen and measured a hundred spans around, towering above the hills. The lowest branches were eighty feet from the ground, and a dozen or so of them could have been made into boats. There were so many sightseers that the place looked like a fair, but the carpenter didn’t even glance around and went on his way without stopping.

His apprentice stood staring for a long time and then ran after Carpenter Shih and said, “Since I first took up my ax and followed you, Master, I have never seen timber as beautiful as this. But you don’t even bother to look, and go right on without stopping. Why is that?”

“Forget it! Say no more!” said the carpenter. “It’s a worthless tree! Make boats out of it and they’d sink; make coffins and they’d rot in no time; make vessels and they’d break at once. Use it for doors and it would sweat sap like pine; use it for posts and the worms would eat them up. It’s not a timber tree - there’s nothing it can be used for. That’s how it got to be that old!”

After Carpenter Shih had returned home, the oak tree appeared to him in a dream and said, “What are you comparing me with? Are you comparing me with those useful trees? The cherry apple, the pear, the orange, the citron, the rest of those fructiferous trees and shrubs - as soon as their fruit is ripe, they are torn apart and subjected to abuse. Their big limbs are broken off, their little limbs are yanked around. Their utility makes life miserable for them, and so they don’t get to finish out the years Heaven gave them, but are cut off in mid-journey. They bring it on themselves - the pulling and tearing of the common mob. And it’s the same way with all other things.

“As for me, I’ve been trying a long time to be of no use, and though I almost died, I’ve finally got it. This is of great use to me. If I had been of some use, would I ever have grown this large? Moreover, you and I are both of us things. What’s the point of this - things condemning things? You, a worthless man about to die - how do you know I’m a worthless tree?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Lol owned by the tree

It's basically just being attached to things, even down to the level of shelter, food, etc. If you're not attached to the concept of having a shelter then if you don't have one you'll be content. And if you're not attached to the concept of "you" when you die of exposure then who cares because your body and mind are transient and you'll just reroll. One of the OG mediation methods is literally contemplation of a decaying corpse.

sharknado slashfic has issued a correction as of 22:41 on Oct 26, 2023

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
The ontological shock was so great they blocked it out.

That or they were La-li-lu-le-lo'd and physically are unable to express the new thing that they saw.

"pointless*, they say but internally screaming "holy crap Joe Rogan is an alien and is being taught about different aspects of the world one guest at a time. Unfortunately, being an alien, he cannot tell who is bullshitting"

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuJqUvBj4rE

Just listened to this song and sang along with its intense rear end cadence, and it put me in an emotional state but in a good way? weird to sing myself into crying and enjoying it but that's estrogen and privation from emotional truth for you i guess

Seeking those kinds of experiences like a weird spiritual junkie where the drug isn't dopamine so much as feeling the touch of others in spirit

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Riot Bimbo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuJqUvBj4rE

Just listened to this song and sang along with its intense rear end cadence, and it put me in an emotional state but in a good way? weird to sing myself into crying and enjoying it but that's estrogen and privation from emotional truth for you i guess

Seeking those kinds of experiences like a weird spiritual junkie where the drug isn't dopamine so much as feeling the touch of others in spirit

I saw him on that album tour and it was super sick, lots of lights and people making tunnels and weed and just amazing vibes. Definitely see him if you can!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

weed

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Hmm yes

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

:hmmyes:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

looks like Burlison hosed up and said the thing they told them not to
https://x.com/ask_a_pol/status/1717658130610323545?s=20

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

my bony fealty posted:

I saw him on that album tour and it was super sick, lots of lights and people making tunnels and weed and just amazing vibes. Definitely see him if you can!

honestly sounds really cool. I got covid watching carpenter brut last year and I've basically placed a moratorium on going to concerts unless i'm like, freshly vaxxed and have better-than-surgical-masking available. That said I really am itching for it as an experience.

Maybe next year.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

One of the few positives of having the stupidest members of congress running this thing

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

sharknado slashfic posted:

One of the few positives of having the stupidest members of congress running this thing

The inevitable leaks are the only thing I have faith in

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

hell yeah bring on antigrav

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

sure is seeming like the Alaska shootdown was a special drone nobody was supposed to notice

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

sorry to interrupt the current topic but I finally finished fully catching up with this thread (motivationally spurred by the SCIF news) and one post really caught my eye. I couldn't not post about it after being taken aback by what I was reading.

Barry Foster posted:

Sounds about right lol

Anyway, someone on reddit has sorted it all out, and has provided a handy graph/diagram/infographic to explain Reality As It Is

https://www.reddit.com/r/UFOs/comments/17d9fly/multidimensional_reality_infographic/

EDIT y'know I was being kind of sarcastic but now that I've had a proper look at it I'm finding myself nodding along in agreement, ha

long ago when I was a teenager freshly out of high school I took an ill-advised amount of LSD after having screwed around with mushrooms and lesser amounts of acid for the preceding six months or so and my confidence escalating into cockiness. this whole phase of experimenting with hallucinogens was sparked after discovering marijuana in my final two years of high school and chasing higher highs convinced that I was on the path of figuring out "what was really going on with reality, the reason why we're all alive and conscious somehow".

anyway after taking these tabs, a couple hours later I experienced a moment where I suddenly saw a fractal spiral unfold before my mind's eye of the multiple possibilities that other versions of myself took/are taking/are experiencing, and a subset of these fractally infinite possibilities all inevitably taking paths converging into this very point where I took enough acid to uncork my brain and realized the truth of reality

I didn't take the experience very well and it took me a long while to recover from it. It was a little jarring to read a random reddit post and suddenly recognize shapes nearly identically matching parts of my experience from back then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
form constants?