Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Vegetable posted:

Driverless cars are likely better drivers than all of you and are less likely to kill someone over your lifetime :shrug:

Nah. I will never kill or injure anyone with a personal vehicle. My record will remain perfect. Even when I read my phone on the road. Because I don't own one and use transit, something that American cities go out of their way to make impossible. They should spend the money on that instead of the magical thinking that self-driving cars will save us all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Public transportation is the obvious solution and it was until we stopped maintaining it as a country. Other countries make downtowns hostile to driving and they're both more efficient and safer. Unsurprisingly, electric busses exist and so do electric ground-level trolleys! The problem is already solved.

Autonomous electric buses for the combo. It's the perfect use case since they follow set routes

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
A lot of the arguments in the last page seems to boil down to "theres a lot of human bad drivers killing people in the roads so its ok to allow bad AI drivers to kill people on the roads too"

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Elias_Maluco posted:

A lot of the arguments in the last page seems to boil down to "theres a lot of human bad drivers killing people in the roads so its ok to allow bad AI drivers to kill people on the roads too"

Thats a rather odd/bad take. The consistent argument is that if there are going to be cars on the road anyway we're better off as societies having AI drivers that kill less people than human drivers per km driven. Fewer deaths = the goal.

Public transport is great but its not an all use scenario. In plenty of European and Asian cities there exist extensive, reliable and very useful public transport networks but cars are still also an integral part of the transportation system.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Blut posted:

Thats a rather odd/bad take. The consistent argument is that if there are going to be cars on the road anyway we're better off as societies having AI drivers that kill less people than human drivers per km driven. Fewer deaths = the goal.

Public transport is great but its not an all use scenario. In plenty of European and Asian cities there exist extensive, reliable and very useful public transport networks but cars are still also an integral part of the transportation system.

I dont think anybody is against that goal. The issue is that we still seems pretty far from that and while we are trying to achieve that goal, we have unready AIs testing themselves in the streets and eventually killing people while doing that

And than theres people here saying that this aint a big problem because stupid humans texting in their phones can kill people too

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Blut posted:

Even if the fatalities-per-mile go down, that's not necessarily going to bring down automobile fatalities as well. People are gonna be a lot more willing to go someplace with nasty traffic if they can spend the whole trip watching movies on their phone while the car handles the gridlock for them, which means an increase in total vehicle-miles driven.

Robot cars are fundamentally a convenience tool, not a safety tool. They're not meant to make the roads safer, they're meant to make automobile travel easier and more convenient for automobile owners. The theoretical safety effects are a secondary consideration, not their main purpose.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Boris Galerkin posted:

A pedestrian being mowed down by a car driven by some idiot who won’t stop staring at their phone didn’t ask to participate either but it happens every single day and when it happens it never seems to spur much discussion.

What are you talking about? People talk about lovely drivers using their phones while driving all the time and numerous places have passed laws regarding it.

Main Paineframe posted:

Robot cars are fundamentally a convenience tool, not a safety tool. They're not meant to make the roads safer, they're meant to make automobile travel easier and more convenient for automobile owners. The theoretical safety effects are a secondary consideration, not their main purpose.

Driverless cars are meant to reduce the human cost of businesses like freight transport and taxis so that companies can make more money and employ fewer people. Convenience for the common person is a side-effect.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Elias_Maluco posted:

I dont think anybody is against that goal. The issue is that we still seems pretty far from that and while we are trying to achieve that goal, we have unready AIs testing themselves in the streets and eventually killing people while doing that

This. The technology simply isn't ready for public use at this point. We need to have stringent safety standards and have companies pass those standards before being allowed to do a small pilot program, and then eventually grow that program over time in a way that keeps the public safe.

That's not some uniquely onerous barrier either; many technologies (medical is the one I have the most experience with) have to go through similar vetting before being able to be sold or used publicly.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Dirk the Average posted:

This. The technology simply isn't ready for public use at this point. We need to have stringent safety standards and have companies pass those standards before being allowed to do a small pilot program, and then eventually grow that program over time in a way that keeps the public safe.

That's not some uniquely onerous barrier either; many technologies (medical is the one I have the most experience with) have to go through similar vetting before being able to be sold or used publicly.

So what you are saying is that there are no deaths due to medical technology post general release not attributed to ignorance in design eliminated through real world use. That being the standard that you are holding automated driving to.

Or maybe the better analogy is that all development of medical procedures and technology should be banned until sufficient lab testing is done to guarantee that no member of the public could be hurt or killed by attempting a new medical procedure.

It is a bit of a moot point in any event, testing of driver automation has been ongoing for decades now (first autonomous vehicle (AV) tested was like 1977). Starting with ABS and cruise control (each surely with their own fatalities) and onto lane assist, smart cruise and now autonomous driving. It is not without supervision either, California banned Uber from road testing AVs for two years - I guess that is about the same length of time Boeing got its 737Max fleet grounded for dodgy automation that killed three hundred odd (far in excess of what AVs have killed anyway out of the 30k driver driven fatal crashes a year in the US).

I think most of the hoopla is because AI is sometimes used instead of driver automation (people having a pathological hate for the phrase) and also the "but they'll take our jerbs" anxiety crew as well as general conservatism (BEVs are opposed for reasons that are hard to understand outside ideological reasons as well).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
So glad the tax money I pay to NYC goes to this, absolutely phenomenal, thanks Eric Adam.

It's like when you're just starting out in X-COM so you get one of the tanks to send out first to cover your squad but here the whole squad is defending tank?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
So it just rolls around and records? Wouldn't a CCTV system be more reliable and cheaper?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

So it just rolls around and records? Wouldn't a CCTV system be more reliable and cheaper?

don't forget the robot gets paid a wage for its labour too

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mega Comrade posted:

Or body cams, hmmm...

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Ruffian Price posted:

Autonomous electric buses for the combo. It's the perfect use case since they follow set routes

Only if its called Trolly and goes Ding Ding! When you talk to it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Electric Wrigglies posted:

So what you are saying is that there are no deaths due to medical technology post general release not attributed to ignorance in design eliminated through real world use. That being the standard that you are holding automated driving to.

Or maybe the better analogy is that all development of medical procedures and technology should be banned until sufficient lab testing is done to guarantee that no member of the public could be hurt or killed by attempting a new medical procedure.

It is a bit of a moot point in any event, testing of driver automation has been ongoing for decades now (first autonomous vehicle (AV) tested was like 1977). Starting with ABS and cruise control (each surely with their own fatalities) and onto lane assist, smart cruise and now autonomous driving. It is not without supervision either, California banned Uber from road testing AVs for two years - I guess that is about the same length of time Boeing got its 737Max fleet grounded for dodgy automation that killed three hundred odd (far in excess of what AVs have killed anyway out of the 30k driver driven fatal crashes a year in the US).

I think most of the hoopla is because AI is sometimes used instead of driver automation (people having a pathological hate for the phrase) and also the "but they'll take our jerbs" anxiety crew as well as general conservatism (BEVs are opposed for reasons that are hard to understand outside ideological reasons as well).

No, what they are saying is "We need to have stringent safety standards and have companies pass those standards before being allowed to do a small pilot program, and then eventually grow that program over time in a way that keeps the public safe". That's a very different thing from what you're rewording their post to say, and I'm not sure why you tried to rephrase the post, because the original wording is very straightforward and easy to understand, and I don't think it's a particularly unreasonable stance either.

Then again, you follow it up by throwing around a bunch of unrelated stuff like cruise control to defend the testing of autonomous vehicles with little to no driver supervision, and then dismissively accuse anyone uncomfortable with the problematic behavior of the AV industry of having a "pathological hate" for the phrase "AI" or being members of a "'but they'll take our jerbs' anxiety crew". I feel like that might be a little unreasonable.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Electric Wrigglies posted:

You're not being nearly as clever as you think you are. Of course there is risk. There is always risk. The point is that this stuff should be vetted thoroughly before being released into the wild, not just released because "disruption!" or whatever.

Medical is also one of the worst possible things for you to try to focus on because the standard for medical is that the new technology is safer than existing technologies. You have to, through clinical trials, prove that your new product is substantially safer and more effective than the existing product. And clinical trials are not something that you get to do immediately - there are years of work required to get to the point where you're allowed to even try to use the technology on patients in a very limited setting, let alone in a clinical trial. Granted, this is also based on the risk that the product presents to a patient - a tongue depressor requires relatively little testing as it poses virtually no risk; a class III implantable medical device requires a hell of a lot vetting because it has a very high risk of killing someone.

So if a procedure currently has a 50% chance of killing someone, and the new tech has a 40% chance of killing someone, the new tech will be allowed to go to market, though even then the adoption will be slow as doctors are very, very cautious about new technology, and there are hurdles to overcome with regards to training, insurance, and the like.

The point is that vetting and testing is a big loving deal and is something that is done very frequently in other industries. It's not some uniquely onerous burden that we require these companies to properly test things before putting them on a road accessible by the public.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off
Plus, I don't know why everyone just assumes that driverless cars are gonna be safer. According to who? The lying liars who lie about everything and break the law and lie some more for the sake of disruption?

gently caress you, prove it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Jen heir rick posted:

Plus, I don't know why everyone just assumes that driverless cars are gonna be safer. According to who? The lying liars who lie about everything and break the law and lie some more for the sake of disruption?

The theory of driverless cars being safer is predicated on a future where every car is driverless.

Cause humans are loving idiots.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

The theory of driverless cars being safer is predicated on a future where every car is driverless.

AI is made by humans, and is both idiotic by transitive property and in practice.

But "every car is driverless" is as unlikely of a scenario as America embracing public transit and less car dependent cities.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Yes we have mass transit in Europe, I know because I work for one.

My work consists of watching trolleys go and if there's people in the way, pull a switch to change tracks, meanwhile making instant moral decisions on who gets to live and who doesn't. It sucks :(

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nenonen posted:

Yes we have mass transit in Europe, I know because I work for one.

My work consists of watching trolleys go and if there's people in the way, pull a switch to change tracks, meanwhile making instant moral decisions on who gets to live and who doesn't. It sucks :(

I didn’t know Chidi Anagonde was real.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

I see no evidence that A.I. aren't also idiots.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mister Facetious posted:

A world where every vehicle is driverless is a world where a state-level actor can and will eventually cause apocalyptic levels of damage by attacking those systems.

Imagine if even 1% of the vehicles in the US were to start accelerating as fast as possible while sharply turning left and right at random. How many tens of thousands of deaths and hundreds of thousands if not millions of injuries would happen in the US due to that? Does anyone really think auto makers, especially clownshows like Tesla, have those systems sufficiently protected or the willingness to spend billions preemptively to ensure that safety exists?

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

honestly i think ransomware would be more likely.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Evil Fluffy posted:

A world where every vehicle is driverless is a world where a state-level actor can and will eventually cause apocalyptic levels of damage by attacking those systems.

Imagine if even 1% of the vehicles in the US were to start accelerating as fast as possible while sharply turning left and right at random. How many tens of thousands of deaths and hundreds of thousands if not millions of injuries would happen in the US due to that? Does anyone really think auto makers, especially clownshows like Tesla, have those systems sufficiently protected or the willingness to spend billions preemptively to ensure that safety exists?

Pretty sure this is already a potential threat for existing modern cars.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

Driverless cars are already safer now, when there are human drivers around.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

But not all cars, as would be the case in a driverless future. Right now you've still got mostly analog vehicles sharing the road with computerized models. Short of violating the laws of physics there's no one vulnerability to exploit.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

We only have Elon Musk's word that AI-driven cars are safer. He's not releasing data. Do you feel like trusting Musk about anything?

Kwyndig posted:

So has there actually been a true driverless car fatality yet or is it all just Teslas in autopilot mode running down children.
I'm not sure why Teslas aren't counted? There are no Level 3, Level 4, or Level 5 automated cars on the market. That means that there are no true driverless cars on the streets. Most of the 'driverless cars' on the streets are Teslas, and they are killing people.

e: I was wrong. Teslas are Level 2. There's one Level 4 on the market, but it's only allowed to be used in urban areas.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 26, 2023

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004

Vegetable posted:

Driverless cars are already safer now, when there are human drivers around.

According to who? loving prove it.

Jen heir rick fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 26, 2023

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jen heir rick posted:

Driverless cars theoretically could be safer, and people dreaming about how technology will make everything better tend to default to imagining the best-case scenarios and not really considering how things could potentially go wrong.

For example, driverless cars could theoretically mount sensors that perform better than the human eye in adverse conditions (particularly darkness). They theoretically have a much faster reaction time than humans. They theoretically have an infinite attention span. And so on. It's just that those theoretical advantages often don't survive contact with the real world, especially when it comes to edge cases and programmer fuckups.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

We only have Elon Musk's word that AI-driven cars are safer. He's not releasing data. Do you feel like trusting Musk about anything?

I'm not sure why Teslas aren't counted? There are no Level 3, Level 4, or Level 5 automated cars on the market. That means that there are no true driverless cars on the streets. Most of the 'driverless cars' on the streets are Teslas, and they are killing people.

e: I was wrong. Teslas are Level 2. There's one Level 4 on the market, but it's only allowed to be used in urban areas.

Waymo is level 4. You can't buy one, but they are definitely on the street

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Jose Valasquez posted:

Waymo is level 4. You can't buy one, but they are definitely on the street

Did not know!

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

Driverless cars theoretically could be safer, and people dreaming about how technology will make everything better tend to default to imagining the best-case scenarios and not really considering how things could potentially go wrong.

For example, driverless cars could theoretically mount sensors that perform better than the human eye in adverse conditions (particularly darkness). They theoretically have a much faster reaction time than humans. They theoretically have an infinite attention span. And so on. It's just that those theoretical advantages often don't survive contact with the real world, especially when it comes to edge cases and programmer fuckups.

It reminds me of a saying/joke. You know what the difference between theory and reality is? In theory, there is no difference, but in reality, there is.

People should keep that in mind.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Jen heir rick posted:

According to who? loving prove it.
Waymo’s driverless cars experienced 76% fewer accidents than human-driven cars based on a recent study using insurance data.

I don’t know what you’re so upset about though. It’s pretty well established that human drivers are awful, particularly in America. Road traffic is the leading cause of death.

It’s not surprising to anyone that a fairly conservative robot driver might be safer. It may not get there faster, and it may create other problems, but the presumption of superior safety is not a controversial one.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Vegetable posted:

I don’t know what you’re so upset about though. It’s pretty well established that human drivers are awful, particularly in America. Road traffic is the leading cause of death.
Human drivers are bad. We all know that. The question is whether anything better is available. You can't say "AI is better than people" today unless you have a specific AI you're talking about. Like, the concept of an AI car is definitely better than the concept of a human driver, but that's irrelevant.

To date, Waymo has been available in San Francisco or Phoenix, with Los Angeles and Austin coming soon. Test-drives in two major American cities isn't something you can compare to nationwide driving statistics. That's a pilot project, and you can't generalize from a pilot project to "it's a solved problem".

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Human drivers are bad. We all know that. The question is whether anything better is available. You can't say "AI is better than people" today unless you have a specific AI you're talking about. Like, the concept of an AI car is definitely better than the concept of a human driver, but that's irrelevant.

To date, Waymo has been available in San Francisco or Phoenix, with Los Angeles and Austin coming soon. Test-drives in two major American cities isn't something you can compare to nationwide driving statistics. That's a pilot project, and you can't generalize from a pilot project to "it's a solved problem".
The study compared human-driven cars in SF/Phoenix to Waymo cars. It’s like for like. SF is probably one of the hardest cities to drive in in America. That may not be enough for you, but it’s enough for me and frankly it just confirms what safety experts have been assuming for the longest time. You can wait for a nationwide launch before you make your mind up though :shrug:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The real thought experiment is to imagine we only have Waymo cars right now and the debate was about whether to let humans take the wheel. We would be absolutely insane to allow it. Contemplating an immense investment in the bureaucracy of licensing and training, tolerating the ludicrous accident rates of novice drivers, and knowing the ingrained cultural practice of consuming alcohol… I enjoy a good drive but you gotta be pompous as gently caress to think putting yourself on the road is in any way good for society.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Vegetable posted:

The real thought experiment is to imagine we only have Waymo cars right now and the debate was about whether to let humans take the wheel. We would be absolutely insane to allow it. Contemplating an immense investment in the bureaucracy of licensing and training, tolerating the ludicrous accident rates of novice drivers, and knowing the ingrained cultural practice of consuming alcohol… I enjoy a good drive but you gotta be pompous as gently caress to think putting yourself on the road is in any way good for society.
In my thought experiment, we have all moved to four cities in the United States. Somebody's elbow is in my eye socket right now.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Vegetable posted:

Au contraire, it's absolutely insane to ever assume this would be correct.

How the gently caress are people going to get to places waymo does not cover or handle when* waymo has a failure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004

Vegetable posted:

Waymo’s driverless cars experienced 76% fewer accidents than human-driven cars based on a recent study using insurance data.
So where's the link? loving prove it. Not my job to look that poo poo up for you.

Vegetable posted:

I don’t know what you’re so upset about though.
Stop tone policing me.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)