Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Hub Dirt
Apr 26, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

nothing dutch was sent by god

Have a little faith, Arthur!

edit: What an awful snipe. I love this thread though and wish that I could contribute more. My recollection of late 90's into early aughts wrestling is extremely fuzzy. My most vivid memory of WCW from that time is the Chucky promo, so it's been awesome deep diving into this thread. Thanks, goons!

Hub Dirt fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Dutch is full of poo poo and does NOT have a plan!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Shard posted:

Dutch is full of poo poo and does NOT have a plan!

The plan is, if it bleeds we can kill it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/AndyConwaaaay/status/1716967355094351926

Important anniversary.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Hub Dirt posted:

Have a little faith, Arthur!

lol

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Germansimp posted:

God, that poo poo was so loving awesome:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64_Ne-k6WX0

A+++ compilation right here.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Germansimp posted:

:allears:

So drat fun. Who Betta.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Germansimp posted:

I will always love this montage solely for the fact that it has the one inexplicably in the middle of a Scott Steiner and Mike Tenay interview where the outside of the arena is shown and then you see him running off after hitting the cutter and the pose.

Also, I always remember Jarrett shouting "KNOCK THAT CRAP OFF, KANYON!" at him after the one on the guy backstage and it always gets a chuckle out of me.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Vader had that really funny moment where Ken Shamrock kept potato punching him. "Stop." *punch* "Stop that." *punch* And Vader decked Shamrock with one punch

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DeathChicken posted:

Vader had that really funny moment where Ken Shamrock kept potato punching him. "Stop." *punch* "Stop that." *punch* And Vader decked Shamrock with one punch

One-Punch Van

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It's even more horrible when you find out that ECW was months behind on pay and he left cause he wanted the reasonable thing of actually being paid

One of the reasons why I really resent the rose-tinted hagiography of the EcW fAnS and their stupid loving "YoU sOlD oUt" chants. Hmm yes, how dare a wrestler want to be *checks notes* get paid well enough to look after their family, pay their bills and maybe be compensated for the flips onto concrete and poo poo that they were expected to do.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Grendels Dad posted:

The plan is, if it bleeds we can kill it.

Doesn't seem to be true in the case of Ric Flair.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Animal-Mother posted:

Doesn't seem to be true in the case of Ric Flair.

Ric Flair's secret is that he died in that accident, but is compelled to wrestle on by the power of WOOOOOOO (i.e. getting divorced)

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

edogawa rando posted:

One of the reasons why I really resent the rose-tinted hagiography of the EcW fAnS and their stupid loving "YoU sOlD oUt" chants. Hmm yes, how dare a wrestler want to be *checks notes* get paid well enough to look after their family, pay their bills and maybe be compensated for the flips onto concrete and poo poo that they were expected to do.

A wrestlers finances aren't forward facing and are therefore easily ignored.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

ChrisBTY posted:

A wrestlers finances aren't forward facing and are therefore easily ignored.

You've heard of Girl Math, please enjoy: Wrestler Math (non-Scott Steiner edition)

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
wrestlers arent known for spending their money wisely

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I’m watching Mike Awesome vs Masato Tanaka right now and I just wanted to post somewhere and say it’s probably the best match ever.

We don’t have an ECW thread so I figured this would be the most appropriate place to say this, due to The Alliance and all.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I long for the days when ECW was run by a creative genius. Let's hear it... for Stephanie McMahon!!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

edogawa rando posted:

Well, one of the main reasons to like WWE these days is that sports entertainers are getting paid a lot of money there. Though I doubt anyone is checking how much money they actually earn, or cares that much of the harmful lifestyle of old is still intact with the self-organized/paid travel and insane schedule and whatnot.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

Well, one of the main reasons to like WWE these days is that sports entertainers are getting paid a lot of money there. Though I doubt anyone is checking how much money they actually earn, or cares that much of the harmful lifestyle of old is still intact with the self-organized/paid travel and insane schedule and whatnot.

Well, I don't resent anyone for taking the WWE money at the end of the day, specifically for those reasons. It's just that I won't get to see them wrestle for a while.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

But alas even in WWE wrestlers arn't paid their fair share.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Sandman McMahon posted:

I’m watching Mike Awesome vs Masato Tanaka right now and I just wanted to post somewhere and say it’s probably the best match ever.

We don’t have an ECW thread so I figured this would be the most appropriate place to say this, due to The Alliance and all.

All the Awesome/Tanaka matches are amazing. I love that WWE was pissed at them for going all out at One Night Stand.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

wrestlers arent known for spending their money wisely

That's one of the impressive things about Sting. He actually didn't go nuts with ATM Eric's money and he's doing all this stuff now just because he wants to. Boss Man and John Tenta are two others I've heard made sure that their families were taken care of, which unfortunately proved wise after their passing.

Then there's Ric. Like even if you've heard 'Ric is bad with money' it's far worse than you can imagine. His autobiography is mostly "I spent too much and made my wife leave me and brother I felt bad but whooo I did it again."

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I wonder how many checks Paul E. bounced during his time running ECW.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

One of the first wrestling DVDs I ever bought when I was first getting into it was a two-pack of Rise & Fall of ECW and ONS05 that I found in the bargain bin. I knew about ECW because of WWECW and also Mick Foley's books, which helped kickstart my love of it all, and watching those two DVDs back to back blew my mind.

I ripped ONS 05 to my PSP and for a while it was the only thing I had to watch during a really difficult time in my life, so I'll always love the show, but I was especially intrigued with Awesome vs. Tanaka because they were both totally new to me and the match was so absolutely loving crazy and unlike anything I had seen before even on that very show. Their matches were so great. God bless them for going so hard and being part of that secret sauce that made me fall in love with this weird little artform.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

haljordan posted:

I wonder how many checks Paul E. bounced during his time running ECW.

And think of all the poor wrestlers' dead relatives that let them fly bereavement.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

syzpid posted:

All the Awesome/Tanaka matches are amazing. I love that WWE was pissed at them for going all out at One Night Stand.

I never heard that. What was WWE pissed off about exactly?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Shard posted:

They put on a banger ECW style match that made all the WWE wrestlers look bad

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Grendels Dad posted:

Ric Flair's secret is that he died in that accident, but is compelled to wrestle on by the power of WOOOOOOO (i.e. getting divorced)

Only a legend like the Nature Boy could put up the same NWA title belt as collateral for TWO different loans and default on both.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Ric Flair is simultaneously the Greatest Pro Wrestler of All Time and the Most Divorced Dad of All Time, and these two forces are eternally in tension.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 26, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Elephant Ambush posted:

Any trawl through the bad takes thread will tell you the one thing WWE and its fans hates is wrestling.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Sandman McMahon posted:

The Fat Chick Thriller, That 70's Guy, The Canadian Career Killer, Cousin of Horace Hogan, Mike Awesome. Rest in peace.

syzpid posted:

I hadn't heard that before but it's completely unsurprising. Vince's secret philosophy seems to be "How dare these guys get over."

Animal-Mother fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 26, 2023

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Shard posted:

Elephant Ambush posted:

Pretty much this, it was supposed to be a sub 10 minute match to keep the crowd warm heading into the main event. Instead they put out an absolute banger of a match which was the match of the night. The Cena/RVD match was great, but a lot of that was the crowd absolutely loathing Cena.

Awesome is great in FMW too, I remember watching him fly around like a lightweight and wondering why no one had signed him. Then he showed up in ECW a few months later.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Halloween Jack posted:

Ric Flair is simultaneously the Greatest Pro Wrestler of All Time and the Most Divorced Dad of All Time, and these two forces are eternally in tension.

Ric Flair is cool

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

syzpid posted:

Pretty much this, it was supposed to be a sub 10 minute match to keep the crowd warm heading into the main event. Instead they put out an absolute banger of a match which was the match of the night. The Cena/RVD match was great, but a lot of that was the crowd absolutely loathing Cena.
The Cena/RVD match was the following year. The main event of ONS 2005 was the Dudleys vs. Dreamer & Sandman.

e: at ONS 2006, Tanaka had a match with Balls Mahoney. Presumably, WWE liked that one better because it wasn't very good.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 26, 2023

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

yeah, "in tension"

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I like to re-read this article every few months and wonder how much more in debt Flair is now:

https://grantland.com/features/the-wrestler-real-life/

haljordan fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 26, 2023

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
numbers dont go as high as ric flairs debt

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It's very funny that the worst Awesome/Tanaka match was too good for WWE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

numbers dont go as high as ric flairs debt

To be the best you must have the best.