Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Don't worry, I bet by friday there will be a panel of a record needle scratching and a few narration boxes saying "Yep, that's me. Flash Fordon. I bet you're wondering how I got into this situation." and then all your questions will be answered.

EDIT: What a terrible snipe, have some Cul de Sac:

Vargo fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Maybe they want to officially tie it in but have no interest in dealing with the problematic nature of Ming. Just handwave all that stuff as having happened and build fresh stories in the postgame.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

Since I once got caught by this, it's "in medias res" - there's a plurality of media you need to catch up on.

Ha ha, ‘media’ is already the plural of ‘medium’, in that sense. You’re right, but wrongly.

The important part is ‘medi’ like in ‘Mediterranean’, as in ‘middle’. Latin in mediās rēs means “into the middle of things”.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Tiggum posted:

My point was that this is important to building the setting and characters and has not been done in this version of the story.

Ming hasn't had time to seem like anything yet. We barely know anything about him, and even less about how he's somehow still emperor when the entire planet is united against him. It seems less like this is their last chance and more like they've already won, except for the text saying the opposite.

Ming has had enough time to seem like a tyrant. Nice Ur-Quanesque line about the comfort of slavery. :allears: I think it's nicely paced dialogue that avoids trash like Mark Trail, Mary Worth and so on beating the current situation into our heads for two weeks because they get paid by length of time instead of quality of strip.

I wouldn't say they've already won as we don't know the size of the forces. If they've launched a surprise attack on Ming with a united kingdoms force but Ming's Big Army is nastier than they are then they're on the clock.

quote:

Is he popular with the people? Is he popular with the rulers? Is he seen as a convenient figurehead they'll be able to push around or ignore? Why does the entire revolution rely on him specifically when the kingdoms are already united against Ming?

Classic story trope is that the return of the rightful king inspires a sweeping uprising that casts the villain out. The detail should arise with more strips but I imagine it hinges on a point where even Ming's army abandons him and this is the make or break point. I see it as Ming's Big Army(possibly the royal army too) and his conquered satellite kingdoms, British Empire style. Presumably Flash convinced them the risk of uniting to stand just about equal to Ming was worth it whereas he could annihilate them if they're isolated.

quote:

The writer could have established that the hero was the kind of person who could do that. Instead the writer established that he's an "athlete" from Earth and literally nothing else. How did he get from that to leading a revolution on an alien planet? That's the story!

Is it? How far did it get? Why were these three the ones sent on the "mission of peace"? Did they come because of the invasion or to prevent it? Or for some other reason? How did they go from crashing their ship on a hostile planet to leading a revolution? Again, that is the story that we're being dropped in right at the end of and I don't know any of it.

Well I admitted as much that Flash isn't special because of some quality, he's a hero that stepped up and managed to ride it through to the end. Somebody has to be the protagonist/POV character, right? And you're right that this is a story important to tell but it has already been told. I'm having faith in the author that they have something new to show us continuing from the classic and a recap would suffice. As an inspiration for several cultural norms it was a safe and reasonable assumption that the audience gets the gist of Flash, even in very broad strokes they've seen dozens of times before like in Star Wars.

I'm also guessing but the setup suggests they might have arrived by accident and were drawn into the conflict. Don't have to be qualified to join a situation, just willing. If all Flash has is heroic spirit that's fine for an emotion driven adventure.

quote:

You apparently know a lot more about it than I do.

I was just summarising those first few strips that were posted. I knew no more than you did before reading them, which is why I now have all these questions.

They're fair questions and I tried to infer as much as I could just from the four strips read since I've not seen Flash Gordon past cultural osmosis and maybe a clip or two decades ago. I think these strips did a good job putting the story together as a set up and if they maintain this quality you should get more info and satisfaction.

Strictly speaking the setting is built. Here's the place, the antagonist, the stakes, the protagonist, the current situation for the first storyline en media res climax, leading nicely to whether or not Ming falls and if he falls his likely retreat to rebuild as a threat, or if he falls and dies what new conflicts await. It'd be nice to get more but interactions and knowledge of characters will backfill as we go. Hopefully. It is funny on its face that Flash's current background is "athlete."

It might be full of mockable video game dialogue writing where characters quote things they know to each other for the audience... but for sheer demonstrated quality the author has my suspension of disbelief and trust.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

what's a gordon

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Not much, what's a gordon with you?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dybc0rQTHsQ

Just listen to this, it should clear things up

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I think the art style looks really cool and like..retro future sci fi so I'll definitely keep an eye on it. I barely know Flash Gordon stuff outside of seeing the movie at SOME point but even then I've listened to the song more than seen the movie lol. I figured at some point they'll just do a flashback to the beginning anyway so :shrug:

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Vargo posted:

Don't worry, I bet by friday there will be a panel of a record needle scratching and a few narration boxes saying "Yep, that's me. Flash Fordon. I bet you're wondering how I got into this situation." and then all your questions will be answered.

EDIT: What a terrible snipe, have some Cul de Sac:

I miss Cul-de-Sac.

Anyway, they appear to be speedrunning the Flash movie so they can take their time with something new without completely discarding the backstory. Maybe someone write a novel about it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tiggum posted:

How the gently caress did they end up on this mission of peace? What happened to the invasion of Earth? How does Flash know how to fly a "dart runner", whatever that is? An aircraft? A spaceship? Why is this the one last chance? What makes this Barin guy the rightful king and why should we care? How could an entire united planet rising up in revolution be defeated if they can't rescue this one guy? And why is this "athlete" from Earth the only one who can save him? Who are any of these people and why are you skipping past almost the entire story?

No disrespect but you sound like my mother three minutes into any movie.

Anyway, those five strips we've seen of Flash Gordon are head and shoulders above any of the other new comic reboots we've seen in the past few years, so I am super excited to see how it goes.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
It's kind of the way Justice League Unlimited treated the minor DC characters. "We're not going to spend large amounts of our 22 minutes telling you backstory on Speedy or Goldface, it's 2006, you can go look that up online or wait until they have an episode to anchor."

Which I'm just as fine with for Flash Gordon, personally.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
I'll just add to all of this that what we've seen so far comes with the presumed unspoken assumption that the majority of people who show interest in a strip called "Flash Gordon" in 2023 is going to be familiar with the first Flash story because it's the only Flash story that gets retold at least once a generation. Buster Crabbe movie serial, one of the best Filmation action cartoons, a deeply infuriating SyFy series, and...that movie.

If I can sing "Flash, a-ah" to someone and they answer "saviour of the universe"? That's your audience for a Flash Gordon comic strip in 2023, and they've probably already found their feet in this opening sequence. And seeing as how two fans of the 1980 movie popped up in the time it took me to finish this post, I feel a little more certain about that.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (October 26, 1935)

Peanuts (October 28, 1976)

Crankshaft

Oooooooooooookay.

Since we're in story deconstruction mode this morning, that last line, "Been there, done the therapy," bugs the poo poo out of me. Just like we never saw the financial failure of Montoni's (at least the main location), we very rarely saw the downside of Pete's career. In general, it's been depicted as gliding from triumph to triumph. His most recent gig in particular was Pete, his high school buddy, and some old guys who came back from the dead hanging out at a drawing table coming up with silver age retreads. We never saw the business side of the business, or the sweatwork of producing creative works to a deadline. It was just frictionless hanging out. And now we're just out of the blue informed that he's done. So another unearned character moment from a writer who's made one-two-skip-a-few-ninety-nine-one-hundred elisions one of the hallmarks of his style.

We don't have these discussions about Mutt and Jeff, mainly because they'd have to carry a story two days in a row for us to start talking about plot values.

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner in which a little Barbasol saves the day. (December 6-8, 1934)

Thimble Theater (May 30, 1940)

Olive & Popeye

Eagle-eyed readers might've already noticed that Out Our Way got a tiny bit scrambled, with the panel for the 24th having a 2/25 in the corner. For once, it wasn't me. The San Jose Evening News printed the panel for the 25th on the 24th and vice versa, but only scrubbed the date off of the second one to cover their tracks. Same difference for the home reader, you could argue, but they also printed the crossword puzzle out of sequence, which I'm sure someone got an earful over. (February 25 (but really 24)-27, 1943; spoilered for Ick content)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 26, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

"I'm a nerd who worked in the comic book industry. How hard could running a restaurant be?"
- A colossal idiot*

* Yes, my monitor is on.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

That is such a Ted line coming from Sally that it makes me wonder if the word balloons got reversed.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

heh the detail in the cloths lol

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

It would seem we've found out why it's called a dart runner.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Is he being deposed over $72 worth of cookies?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

So for food stains like pizza grease or pasta sauce, they’ve just got a normal human back there, sucking your shirt clean?
That's how it usually works, yeah.
No kid should be exposed to Kim Catrall and Andrew McCarthy.

Good Listener posted:

I think the art style looks really cool and like..retro future sci fi so I'll definitely keep an eye on it. I barely know Flash Gordon stuff outside of seeing the movie at SOME point but even then I've listened to the song more than seen the movie lol. I figured at some point they'll just do a flashback to the beginning anyway so :shrug:
This is what I think will happen. They just start in the middle of the action to get the reader interested, and also for the benefit of those who already know the background (so they don't have to wade through that stuff again right away). They'll fill in the blanks later.

Batman's a good example. They don't usually tell that story from his parents getting killed to his training and up to fighting crime. They start where he's fighting crime and then go back to tell the backstory.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 26, 2023

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

:lol:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Jucika "344 - Jucika's Striptease In A Bar"

"345 - Jucika And The Miracle Cleaner"

"In this issue, we can also find if not the first, one of the first Jucika fanarts, done by Flasch Dezső, as well as other Ludas Matyi artists. (Jucika's fan-art strip is at the bottom left, and it's roughly titled ''Jucika can't capture'')"

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Yesterday

Today

I'm glad Jules spent 8 panels, 4 of which are repeats, to explain a single sentence revelation a toddler could've deduced.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Doomykins posted:

Jucika "344 - Jucika's Striptease In A Bar"

Not impressed to get undressed very quickly.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

JethroMcB posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dybc0rQTHsQ

Just listen to this, it should clear things up

Low-key one of Queen's best songs, right up there with I'm In Love With My Car.

Scary Go Round (November 28-December 3, 2003)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Diana is not coming across as very sympathetic in this arc. Savarna has spent years imprisoned by fascists, probably tortured, and Diana keep giving her side eyes. Even if you consider Mozz' prophecy it doesn't make sense. Savarna doesn't know about it and according to it, Savarna only hooked up with the Phantom after Diana left her.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

"I'm a nerd who worked in the comic book industry. How hard could running a restaurant be?"
- A colossal idiot*

It's ok, He'll find some old women to work the kitchen at less than minimum wage because they just love cooking that much.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

Timg’d for a butt and I guess technically an on-panel sex act (that still somehow manages to keep nameless boyfriend a complete nonentity).

Bardiche Hotel

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary :drac:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

1: alright guess Coney is five at this point, it's 2017 and she's allowed to age now so I guess in modern times she's 11, that adds up.
2: hey Holbrook what are you saying with that Saturday strip.

:sickos:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

¨

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

No loving way does Ed read anything other than the occasional Tom Clancy.

Pogo 9/6-8/51

Gory Goon Gulch! 7/19-21/48

Selachian fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 27, 2023

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Petition to rename BSS to Gory Goon Gulch

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Petition to rename BSS to Gory Goon Gulch

Or at least this thread.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

Diana is not coming across as very sympathetic in this arc. Savarna has spent years imprisoned by fascists, probably tortured, and Diana keep giving her side eyes. Even if you consider Mozz' prophecy it doesn't make sense. Savarna doesn't know about it and according to it, Savarna only hooked up with the Phantom after Diana left her.

Yeah all Diana has loving done is shoot murder from her eyes.

Hey Diana, remember when you were in loving Gravelines? Who helped get you out? Wasn't old man Mozz!

And I know the Sunday strips aren't the same, but loving Phantom has at least 6 women trying to get in his pants every Sunday. And probably a few dudes.

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Selachian posted:

[
Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 6/11-13/42

Mickey AKA Jonathan Brewster?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj0L0g36IXU&t=62s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

I liked this strip much better when Copper Ma was getting owned... they do get back to that, right?

thisusedyet fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 27, 2023