Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The most likeable character in Lyev Tolstoy's famous work War and Peaace

well sorry

it's Anatole Kuragin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Science needs to develop smaller apples so we can have caramel apples that aren’t so big you regret getting one before you’ve finished it.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The most likeable character in Lyev Tolstoy's famous work War and Peaace

well sorry

it's Anatole Kuragin

As an aside, while I’ve read War and Peace, and a bunch of Dostoyevsky and Pushkin (translated, in English), I’ve never heard anyone say the name Anatole out loud. How is it pronounced? I’ve wondered for years, but I’m too embarrassed to admit that my kiwi English parses it as “Anna-toll” because I know that’s gotta be wrong.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I’m pretty sure it’s Anna-toll-ee

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Shithouse Dave posted:

As an aside, while I’ve read War and Peace, and a bunch of Dostoyevsky and Pushkin (translated, in English), I’ve never heard anyone say the name Anatole out loud. How is it pronounced? I’ve wondered for years, but I’m too embarrassed to admit that my kiwi English parses it as “Anna-toll” because I know that’s gotta be wrong.

It's close enough to that. Just hold your mouth puckered up in a kiss face to sound french.

His actual name is Anatoliy, but it's a big thing in original-language War and Peace that while all the narration is in russian, lots of the dialogue is in french. It was a thing at the time for fancy folks to be raised with french to the point that they needed translators to talk to their servants. That's why he calls his paramour Natalie instead of Natalya or Natasha.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Outside of like, a DWI or other situation where your intoxication may pose a danger to others, drug tests are an invasion of privacy and shouldn't be allowed. They shouldn't be required for employment or taking part in sports.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Outside of like, a DWI or other situation where your intoxication may pose a danger to others, drug tests are an invasion of privacy and shouldn't be allowed. They shouldn't be required for employment or taking part in sports.

They shouldn't just be allowed, it should be considered a crime to even ask, barring specific safety related positions as you mentioned. It's really hosed up how much privacy we give up in this way and how normal that feels.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Let me introduce to a little something called THE PARRIOT ACT

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

Gripweed posted:

Science needs to develop smaller apples so we can have caramel apples that aren’t so big you regret getting one before you’ve finished it.

This is a pet peeve of mine. Apples are too loving big these days. I just want a snack, not a meal. Apples are bigger than my fist. Ain't no one got time for that poo poo.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'll eat like four giant apples in a day if left to my own devices. Fruit barely counts as food same with vegetables

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I enjoy apples, whatever the size.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The philosophical question of whether or not humans have free will is deeply uninteresting to me. I am going to act the same way whether I truly have agency or not, so why should I bother worrying about it?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

They shouldn't just be allowed, it should be considered a crime to even ask, barring specific safety related positions as you mentioned. It's really hosed up how much privacy we give up in this way and how normal that feels.

My thought is you should have to play through a couple levels of Hotline Miami before your giant crane/
forklift/car/popcorn machine turns on to prove your reflexes are in good working order and that would be more effective at safety than drug tests.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

thetoughestbean posted:

The philosophical question of whether or not humans have free will is deeply uninteresting to me. I am going to act the same way whether I truly have agency or not, so why should I bother worrying about it?

If you wanna do philosophy, go back to first principles, end up at nihilism. The question is not if you have free will, it's whether you or anyone or anything else even exist, and how would you define "exist" anyway.

doverhog has a new favorite as of 00:15 on Oct 27, 2023

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Nihilism is a joke

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Yes, that's how you arrive at absurdism.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Gripweed posted:

So sports with roided up monsters destroying each other until their hearts explode? Surprised this isn't already a thing lol.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Panfilo posted:

So sports with roided up monsters destroying each other until their hearts explode? Surprised this isn't already a thing lol.

I think they were talking about cashiers being drug tested but ok lol

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

doverhog posted:

If you wanna do philosophy, go back to first principles, end up at nihilism. The question is not if you have free will, it's whether you or anyone or anything else even exist, and how would you define "exist" anyway.

Well, I think, so I’m pretty sure I am

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

alexandriao posted:

They included, "or taking part in sports" as part of their statement.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

alexandriao posted:

No, I was talking about that too.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Steroids should be mandatory for most sports.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

thetoughestbean posted:

Well, I think, so I’m pretty sure I am

No, it just means "something is". You, "I", cannot be inferred.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Gaius Marius posted:

Steroids should be mandatory for most sports.

Related, tour de france announced their next route

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The Haunting (1999) is an example of the movie being better than the book.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Panfilo posted:

It is.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Whoever came up with the word "lisp" was a real piece of poo poo for sticking an S in the middle.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Should have been more considerate and referred to it as a lithp.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

All vampires in fiction should me masters of martial arts. They live forever, they know people are going to try to kill them with sticks, it’s simply unrealistic that a vampire would even half heartedly take lessons to learn how to effortlessly disarm anyone who tries to stake them. Even just weekly lessons, after several decades will add up to pretty impressive skills.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Gripweed posted:

All vampires in fiction should me masters of martial arts. They live forever, they know people are going to try to kill them with sticks, it’s simply unrealistic that a vampire would even half heartedly take lessons to learn how to effortlessly disarm anyone who tries to stake them. Even just weekly lessons, after several decades will add up to pretty impressive skills.

This is only tangentially related, but one of my favorite moments in Kim Newman's Anno Dracula features Professor Moriarty, now a vampire, elated that he can just go gently caress off somewhere for a few centuries and really immerse himself in math.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Gripweed posted:

I feel like the only evening classes are for children though so it's basically a Kramer but vampire situation.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Vampires are also famously hedonistic, they’re too busy sucking and loving to study martial arts

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
They don't need martial arts when they can turn into fog and seep through the door away from danger

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

a vampire cannot enter a dojo until first invited

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Runa posted:

a vampire cannot enter a dojo until first invited

:hmmyes:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Most vampires are lazy as gently caress good luck peeling them off the couch to set aside an evening of Fortnite and cheetos to do actual work lol.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Panfilo posted:

Most vampires are lazy as gently caress good luck peeling them off the couch to set aside an evening of Fortnite and cheetos to do actual work lol.

That's not what your parents meant when they said you were a bloodsucking parasite.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Panfilo posted:

That seems more like a lich, tbh

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Take 5 candy bars are garbage and this All Hallow’s Eve I’m glad to report that my household will not be handing them out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The rebranding to Reese's was a mistake. The OG was goated tho