Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

we will be the oil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Nix Panicus posted:

There was also a cat 5 cyclone in the western pacific that slammed into Vanuatu. Its the earliest in the season cyclone of that magnitude ever recorded

lmao

its also their third major storm this year..

https://amp.abc.net.au/article/103019134

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

Microplastics posted:

Fix the climate? Why bother

https://www.universetoday.com/163694/in-250-million-years-a-single-supercontinent-will-form-wiping-out-nearly-all-mammals/

Edit
Oh I forgot to include this snippet

[Biosphere collapse] the Earth is hypothesized to remain habitable

rip titty animals gg lizards

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Dokapon Findom posted:

We'll all live in computers forever, free of digital rot, always plugged in with a steady, uninterrupted supply of electrical power.

3 million years from now the literal mole people include your computer brain in their natural history museum under the label ‘primitive species’.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Microplastics posted:

Fix the climate? Why bother

https://www.universetoday.com/163694/in-250-million-years-a-single-supercontinent-will-form-wiping-out-nearly-all-mammals/

Edit
Oh I forgot to include this snippet

[Biosphere collapse] the Earth is hypothesized to remain habitable

Ultima fine basically.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Here's what the sea temperature looked like around the time hurricane Otis went super saiyan.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Freezer posted:

Here's what the sea temperature looked like around the time hurricane Otis went super saiyan.

So normal(new)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Can't be bothered to quote from this giant article but:

Climate Change Is Keeping Therapists Up at Night
How anxiety about the planet’s future is transforming the practice of psychotherapy.

https://archive.ph/A8Q5B#selection-307.0-311.84

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Climate change doesn't bother my anxiety at all because there's only one outcome, 8C burn-it-all

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah if you just crack ping yourself hard enough you stop needing therapy about it, sure everybody looks at you a little weird at parties but who cares

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Erghh posted:

we'll be ambulatory mounds of semi-sentient plastic, like more than usual anyway

Cronenberg's most recent film, Crimes Of The Future, is about this. possibly his best film ever, too

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Renewable energy ooga booga

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

Microplastics posted:

Americans literal children, accurate

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I like how the wind turbine wilts like a dead flower in the dark

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Microplastics posted:

if this were a video game puzzle I would simply point that street lamp at the solar panel, which activates the dead house and gives me candy

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

spiritual bypass posted:

Cronenberg's most recent film, Crimes Of The Future, is about this. possibly his best film ever, too

isn't it also his first movie?

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

mawarannahr posted:

isn't it also his first movie?

no, but his son did infinity pool around the same time which I think was his first feature

not nearly as good as dad so far

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

no, but his son did infinity pool around the same time which I think was his first feature

not nearly as good as dad so far

Crimes of the Future is a 1970 Canadian science fiction film written, shot, edited and directed by David Cronenberg.[1] Like Cronenberg's previous feature, Stereo, Crimes of the Future was shot silent with a commentary added afterwards, spoken by the character Adrian Tripod (Ronald Mlodzik).

Although the film shares its title with Cronenberg's 2022 film of the same name, the latter is not a remake as the story and concept are unrelated,[2] however there is a loose connection between the two films, as the main premise of the 2022 film, "creative cancer" also appears in the 1970 version.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

mawarannahr posted:

Crimes of the Future is a 1970 Canadian science fiction film written, shot, edited and directed by David Cronenberg.[1] Like Cronenberg's previous feature, Stereo, Crimes of the Future was shot silent with a commentary added afterwards, spoken by the character Adrian Tripod (Ronald Mlodzik).

Although the film shares its title with Cronenberg's 2022 film of the same name, the latter is not a remake as the story and concept are unrelated,[2] however there is a loose connection between the two films, as the main premise of the 2022 film, "creative cancer" also appears in the 1970 version.

oh sorry I misunderstood, I thought you meant first ever movie so I thought you were thinking of his son’s film. my bad :)

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

there’s a funny part in infinity pool where cronenberg son acknowledges that he’s a nepo baby. i liked the movie tho

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Xaris has issued a correction as of 06:33 on Oct 28, 2023

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

holy poo poo

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

good lord

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I e seen so little written reporting about it. I have no idea what happened, the response, etc beyond these couple videos

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

yeah, I've heard gently caress-all about Acapulco on the six o'clock news or whatever. A lot about I/P, a lot about British politics, pretty much nothing about Acapulco. Just asked my mum and she had no idea either until I told her.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Xaris posted:

Acapulco is gone.

the city is clearly still there and not washed into the sea in its entirety like it had suffered Poseidon's wrath

I rate this climate alarmist claim 5 out of 5 pinocchios

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

i can already hear my dad's mexican construction joke he will tell me tomorrow

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/27/weather/hurricane-otis-acapulco-mexico-images-climate/index.html

includes helpful before and afters

Jizzny Princess
Aug 24, 2021

WHILE YOU WERE LEARNING TO SPELL YOUR NAME,
I WAS BEING TRAINED TO CONQUER GALAXIES
UwU
https://twitter.com/EliotJacobson/status/1718244776871703004

quote:

Twenty-five percent (25%) of the Northern Hemisphere is covered by permafrost that’s melting the fastest ever. The risks of toxic leaks at industrial sites are immeasurable. Nobody really knows for sure how it ends, but it has started.

“Industrial contaminants accumulated in Arctic permafrost regions have been largely neglected in existing climate impact analyses. Here we identify about 4500 industrial sites where potentially hazardous substances are actively handled or stored in the permafrost-dominated regions of the Arctic. Furthermore, we estimate that between 13,000 and 20,000 contaminated sites are related to these industrial sites.”
In 2021 the Russian newswire Tass claimed the country was at “the finish line,” removing thousands of tons of radioactive material from the Arctic. However: “Since the 1990s, the Bellona Foundation has been involved in discovering and documenting nuclear hazards and radiation threats in Arctic Russia and based on that experience, the organization asserts that Likhachev’s announcement is untrue — Russia is nowhere near the “finish line” in these efforts.”
Throughout the Arctic, the issue of what to do for remediation or cleanup is compounded due to the loss of ground stability which limits access to impacted sites and use of heavy equipment. As such, permafrost melt creates a barrier to cleanup. The Langer study found that many former industrial-use facilities are now abandoned and difficult to access.

In the face of clear warnings, the scope of danger is increasing in real time because of new industrial development. There are no international environmental regulations for the Arctic as formulated for theAntarctic in the Madrid Protocol that requires transparent documentation of contamination and potential sources of hazardous substances.

Article mostly talks about Russia and it's "disposal" of radioactive waste materials in the Arctic, but the USA does it too. Difference is the USA buried its nuclear waste by alaskan native reservations and then sometimes would have a native hospitals built over it or bury it near drinking water resources.

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thinking of the world-ending amount of arsenic dust stored outside yellowknife

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

Jizzny Princess posted:

https://twitter.com/EliotJacobson/status/1718244776871703004

Article mostly talks about Russia and it's "disposal" of radioactive waste materials in the Arctic, but the USA does it too. Difference is the USA buried its nuclear waste by alaskan native reservations and then sometimes would have a native hospitals built over it or bury it near drinking water resources.

Recall Project Chariot, whereby a deep water port was to be created by "peaceful" nuclear explosions. The project was cancelled but seemingly as if solely to ensure the locals were poisoned anyway, radioactive contaminated soil was trucked in from offsite and dumped in the Alaskan wilderness to determine its long-term health effects on water tables :psyduck:

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I e seen so little written reporting about it. I have no idea what happened, the response, etc beyond these couple videos

New media strategy: just outright ignore the catastrophes to limit people connecting the dots on their own. Dusting off the Deepwater Horizon playbook

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

La Louve Rouge posted:

thinking of the world-ending amount of arsenic dust stored outside yellowknife

Two hundred thirty-seven thousand, tons of arsenic
Two hundred thirty-seven thousand tons so near
Two hundred thirty-seven thousand, tons of arsenic
Ready to kill, kill a biosphere

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

a yellow knife indeed

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

pretend for the sake of my joke that arsenic is yellow, therefore it's a knife through our lungs, that's why my post is funny thanks

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

I remember reading in like 2008 that by 2070 ocean acidification would advance to such a point that any sea animal with a shell will no longer be able to form its shell. Amazing how time flies and how soon that feels

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
The article said there's "enough arsenic to kill everyone on earth" but if you think about it, a single knife is enough to kill everyone on earth

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
yeah, yeah, the arsenic knife, we've all seen it

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Microplastics posted:

The article said there's "enough arsenic to kill everyone on earth" but if you think about it, a single knife is enough to kill everyone on earth

need to run this one past the Myth Busters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Microplastics posted:

I would argue that it would actually wear down into a nub first. There are a lot of people.