Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
That's what happens when they just give out a meta deck, especially when it features a playable charizard!

I'm also being a basic bitch...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

When my friends got me into the game they put together a Chien-Pao deck for me because Ice is my favorite type. So I get to enjoy being slightly to the left of the meta and my inner hipster is satisfied with that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I express my individuality by running 1x Charizard-PGO, and using Radiant Heatran instead of Radiant Charizard!

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I made a meme deck on Live using Torkoal, PGO Charizard, and the 151 Vileplume series. Also a shitload of energy. It's not *good* but it's loving hilarious when it actually manages to fire off as I flip 10+ coins.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
When playing PGO, it's not about winning

It's about sending a message. A declaration of war.

Unrelated, but I've seen the previews of the new Shiny set, and I want to say, congrats to TPC(i) for taking what was a cool set and running the whole loving idea into the ground! Very much looking forward to not spending a cent on the shiny cards, because they decided to be basic as gently caress in an era where we have ARs and SARs. Set will probably be ripped to hell though and I'm sure everything will be dirt cheap. Not sure what they were thinking - the first set worked cause they were pokemon people cared about, the second struggled along because it had a lot of new pokemon no one but the most die-hard fans cared for, and this is a repeat of that.

Reoxygenation fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Oct 27, 2023

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Reoxygenation posted:

the first set worked cause they were pokemon people cared about, the second struggled along because it had a lot of new pokemon no one but the most die-hard fans cared for, and this is a repeat of that.
I think you might have GENWUN brain, most of the mons in this set are from the newest game.

Has anyone else tried making Standard format GLC decks? Since the client's so stubborn and difficult about even letting you play extended.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 27, 2023

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

girl dick energy posted:

I think you might have GENWUN brain, most of the mons in this set are from the newest game.

... what? I am saying that I am tired of the gimmick, and I could feel people's fatigue for the second shining set.

I absolutely love art rares of new pokemon, but running it down yet again with a similar set with the same gimmick is silly, and I don't see people caring for much more than the art rares in another yet again bloated set...

Not sure how that equates to genwun brain?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Weren't shining Pokemon as old as neo discovery?

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Yeah but there wasn't like 200 cards of shining pokemon in a single set.

I should probably let this go and not care though because I'm pretty sure it's a me problem and I'm just jaded / tired of that type of set!!

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I don't remember people being mad about the shiny sets. They're reprints of a bunch of meta cards and fan favorites. Another printing of charizaed ex is a great thing for bringing down the price of that deck.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
A lot of my favorite Pokémon haven’t had shiny cards ever. I don’t believe there’s even been a card for purple Ampharos or pink Weavile. Orange-flame Chandelure got printed, but that was twelve years ago and it’s like $60 on TCGPlayer.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Been testing out a build of Roaring Moon ex with Darkrai VStar in live and I'm already appreciating how it can flow. AI matches are hardly a real test of anything though but once I've gotten a bit into the battle pass for Darkrai copies I should be able to give it some real testing. It's the deck I want to build physical for Paradox unless maybe Gholdengo ex proves to be anything beyond a meme.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Tossed together a Garchomp EX deck in live, and it's good fun. I'm not a fan of the ubiquity of Roaring Moon but that's just how the new season goes. It's a frustrating deck to play against, but so far Chomp is faring well. Would fare even better if Manaphy wasn't in every deck known to man, too.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Apparently overall pull rates in Paradox Rift are way down compared to the other four Scarlet & Violet sets:

https://infinite.tcgplayer.com/arti...content=pokemon

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I know this is how probability works but I have won 1 starting coinflip out of my past 10 games lol

Sulecrist posted:

Apparently overall pull rates in Paradox Rift are way down compared to the other four Scarlet & Violet sets:

https://infinite.tcgplayer.com/arti...content=pokemon

This basically lines up with the box I opened a few days ago. Glad I got an SIR. I didn't realize a) TPC adjusted pull rates like that and b) there was an organization dedicated to figuring out pull rates, so was a cool read

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

I am newly back into following the TCG due to the 151 set. Are there going to be more prints of the 151 booster bundles or is it just what's out there is out there now? I'm not interested in the bundles at $41 that they're going for but wanted to know if I can keep an eye out to get them at retail price in the future

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

It's the pokemon company so they could reprint it for the next year or reprint it for 1 more run. No way to really know, unfortunately!

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Reoxygenation posted:

It's the pokemon company so they could reprint it for the next year or reprint it for 1 more run. No way to really know, unfortunately!

Ok thanks, didn't know if there was a precedent or something!

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

For what it's worth, I assume that they will print it a lot because it is free money, but ever since COVID, just about every business out there re-sells Pokemon product at a premium, outlets that sell at MSRP are rarer and rarer (from my personal experience), so it can be hit or miss if you ever see cheaper bundles on shelves.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
For what it's worth:
1) My local Target had maybe five 151 UPCs on shelf last week but
2) They were all gone this week

So that feels like an indicator they're at least making more of some product but it's also wildly popular. For what it's worth this doesn't really have the pull of Celebrations to me, the set is interesting but I was hoping for more IRs and SIRs.

Semi-related, as someone who hasn't bought physical product recently, it's nuts that a booster is $5.99 at Target and $4.99 at my FLGS. Inflation and demand and all that but man. At least booster box prices feel roughly the same.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Yeah I noticed that Target had the poster bundle this weekend and I grabbed one. I'm just a weirdo that likes sealed product so I was wanting to get a booster bundle at retail cost to display

DoubleT2172 fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 6, 2023

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
It's also worth mentioning that my local Target, which is one of the larger kind, not only has Pokemon product in the "Card Aisle" near the checkout but has also carved a spot in the toy aisle for an enormous amount of product. So if you haven't been looking back there, maybe poke around? Could be a local thing or a store size thing.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
One place people don’t check too often is Barnes & Noble, they tend to carry a ton of cards though likely stock them behind the counter. If you have their subscription service you also get 10% off.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar
Anyone messing around with Iron Valiant ex? Working on building a deck with those and rapid strike Urshifu vmax, it looks fun.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

no broccoli please posted:

Anyone messing around with Iron Valiant ex? Working on building a deck with those and rapid strike Urshifu vmax, it looks fun.

I've encountered a few variations in PTCGL. Three won first turn going first when I only had 1 active out by dropping 60, the other lost because their deck was purely focused on the switch mechanic and I assume did not have enough energy to support Valiant attacking. Turns out if you're too slow and your opponent gets stage 3s out, 60-80 damage per turn is not impressive

Yoga Loop Medicham V looks like a cool support card to go with the theme if you aren't playing it already

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

Zodack posted:

I've encountered a few variations in PTCGL. Three won first turn going first when I only had 1 active out by dropping 60, the other lost because their deck was purely focused on the switch mechanic and I assume did not have enough energy to support Valiant attacking. Turns out if you're too slow and your opponent gets stage 3s out, 60-80 damage per turn is not impressive

Yoga Loop Medicham V looks like a cool support card to go with the theme if you aren't playing it already

Yeah, I've tried the Xatu version with psychic energy so I can attack with IV, but from everything I see RS Urshi should be more consistent, plus it hits for weakness against Miraidon. Iron Valiant can soften things up early, maybe I pull off a Medicham yoga loop, maybe it's just something to stick a Forest Seal Stone onto, and Urshifu as a finisher. Ideally.
Should have most of my IRL deck ready for testing on Friday, with the addition of a few proxies.

Here's hoping the Forest Seal Stone comes down in price with the Miraidon League Battle Deck including it.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Some upcoming promos, now with added Pidgey.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Those are adorable

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
They must be protected at all costs

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Is there something/one I can follow that will keep me informed on promos like this so I don't miss out?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

DoubleT2172 posted:

Is there something/one I can follow that will keep me informed on promos like this so I don't miss out?

Pokebeach.com is probably your best bet, the dude who runs that site always has the latest news/leaks on cards.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Just played against Wugtrio mill and I don't think I've ever wanted to stop playing a card game more. Dumb complaint, I know, but man. Milled anything in my deck that could get my active back in and fight back. Felt awful to sit there for five turns just slowly bleeding and hitting Pass.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm messing with a deck with Gholdengo ex, because I love this kind of stupid gimmick. Perrserker V seems like a good partner?

Edit: I also can't decide between Bibarel or Revavroom as an engine. Bibarel's more reliable, but Revavroom's more on-theme.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 8, 2023

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Revavroom could potentially get you into trouble if you're missing a Superior Energy Retrieval for the big spikes, but on the flip side it's more cards and if you already have a retrieval that's another energy in the pile.

My limited experience with Gholdengo EX across three games is getting fully spiked for 350 three turns in a row. I haven't seen the deck shoot under 250. It's surprisingly more reliable than I would have though initially - but then again, maybe I am just unlucky.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

My experience with it so far is that it's very good at big spikes, but very bad at extended brawls. Decent match-up against Charizard, but a terrible one against Lost Box, especially since Mimikyu completely shuts it down. I think the deck needs to find a hybrid home, probably either Metal/Water (Chien Pao?) or Metal/Psychic (Gardevoir?).

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 8, 2023

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023

Zodack posted:

It's also worth mentioning that my local Target, which is one of the larger kind, not only has Pokemon product in the "Card Aisle" near the checkout but has also carved a spot in the toy aisle for an enormous amount of product. So if you haven't been looking back there, maybe poke around? Could be a local thing or a store size thing.

My local target has Pokemon packs in four locations. two card aisles flanking the checkouts, so they are pretty far apart. One in the toy section and one more in the electronics section.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Built a Maushold EX deck on PTCGL. Considering the current format and the prevalence of Path to the Peak it is Very Bad but when it works it's really funny. Very good against Gardevoir EX in particular.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Anyone have advice for how to call judges for behavior stuff? I played against someone who was just taking calls in the middle of a league cup and wouldn't stop talking instead of playing the game and it was so frustrating.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Couple friends have been pulled back into the TCG with the new 151 stuff and I have successfully been peer pressured into checking it out - I haven't played since the OG set so currently I'm just screwing around with the Pokemon Live TCG stuff to get a feel for the game again. Are there any decks that are both strong enough to hang in the meta and also fairly straightforward to learn and pilot? There's a local shop here that does League games and I always tend to get into the competitive scene with card games, so if there's a particularly good starting point for someone starting from scratch, I'd love to hear it! I've read that the Mew ex battle league deck is a solid foundation, but I'm not sure if that info is outdated or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

blossommirage posted:

Anyone have advice for how to call judges for behavior stuff? I played against someone who was just taking calls in the middle of a league cup and wouldn't stop talking instead of playing the game and it was so frustrating.

Don't be afraid to call a judge for whatever reason. Anyone who gets mad or freaks out, probably should have a judge called on them. That behavior is unacceptable at any event and needs to be called out.