Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Borsche69 posted:

i was afraid discovery+ wasn't going to have the vod up before the episode airs and i was gonna be forced to watch it live. but thankfully at like 8:01 PM EST it finally popped up. its funny starting an episode the same time as live viewers, and then finishing up the episode and going into the subreddit only to see that theyh ave like 45 more minutes of show to watch
It was wild when we had Faruq announcing the final, straight into a commercial, then into a hype reel, into another commercial, and finally we got the fight.

Now - the commercials were purely hypothetical for us - but it just made me feel bad for the folks who can't skip them. With commercials that would have been like 10+ minutes.

Great fuckin episode otherwise, don't get me wrong.

Edit - terrible post for top of the page. Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

dwarf74 posted:

It was wild when we had Faruq announcing the final, straight into a commercial, then into a hype reel, into another commercial, and finally we got the fight.

Now - the commercials were purely hypothetical for us - but it just made me feel bad for the folks who can't skip them. With commercials that would have been like 10+ minutes.

Great fuckin episode otherwise, don't get me wrong.

Edit - terrible post for top of the page. Wow.

I cheap out and keep the commercials on and it's over two hours for the whole thing. Usually three since I listen off and on through the work day. Usually one ad times out and forces a reload which restarts the adchain. The commericals are brutal.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Gigabyte-Triton: Good fight; both bots lasted a lot longer than usual. Gigabyte may be a contender in this bracket if it can stay alive that long in every fight.

Beta-Double Tap: I can't remember seeing Beta do actual damage before. All it needs is to high-center its opponent and get free whacks at completely unarmored sections.

Deathroll-Slammo: Oh my god, the carnage

Free Shipping-Mammoth: Mammoth loses its weapon early, but really what's the difference? Oh no, it can't lightly poke Free Shipping anymore.

It's interesting that now that Battlebots seems to have settled on a format and field size, the TV crew is playing a lot more on the drama of bots getting booted from the field. I don't think I like it being put as bluntly as they did with Mammoth in the post-fight interview. Just let them get dropped quietly in the offseason. I dislike watching the teams squirm under questions that are essentially "Hey, your bot sucks, huh?"

I mean, they're right, but they shouldn't say it.

Gigabyte-Deathroll: What an epically bad break for Deathroll there. Definitely in the driver's seat if it went to decision when that happened.

:lol: Gigabyte caught fire out of combat. Glad it didn't hurt anybody. Those battery fires are nasty.

Beta-Free Shipping: I thought Beta was gonna be a bad matchup for Free Shipping, but it had no problem winning the ground game.

Gigabyte-Free Shipping: About what I would have expected. Fun to see Free Shipping get the dub.

Good fights this week! Even with the weak field, lots of fun.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Free Shipping is a tough matchup for every bot they faced in their bracket. And of course Beta chooses to go with their lovely hammer for whatever reason. Pretty sure they fired the hammer in the air and likely they are only able to self right if the hammer is reset.

Really appreciated Gary Gin's tactic with Gigabyte, seems he intentionally backed off to let Gigabyte get up to speed to get the strong hit. Pretty sure the ref even took a step back when Gigabyte hit the glass :lol:.

Also next weeks bracket is going to be:

Banshee Vs Cobalt
Emulsifier Vs Captain Shredderator
Lucky Vs Overhaul
Jackpot Vs Big Dill

PostNouveau posted:

:lol: Gigabyte caught fire out of combat. Glad it didn't hurt anybody. Those battery fires are nasty.

Yea those battery fires are why the teams always assess the post fight damage outside.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Aw the Gigabyte team looked so sad after their match. :( Julie from team Deathroll was absolutely laughing her rear end off when their bot got caught up in the flipper and counted out, that was hilarious. :v:

And here's a screencap of next week:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

And here's a screencap of next week:

Looks like a good one.

I think Cobalt is most likely to advance. They've faced mid-tier flippers before (SubZero and Lucky) and easily dispatched them, so I don't think Banshee can beat them. Emulsifier is just worse Cobalt, so I assume Cobalt wins that. Probably Jackpot out of the other side of the bracket, and I'd think Cobalt will last longer than Jackpot in a fight that's just big exchanges of blows.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah it's Cobalt's bracket to lose, anyone else getting up over them would be an upset

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Deathroll can still do some damage, but what a bad break

Sucks for them

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

PostNouveau posted:

Looks like a good one.

I think Cobalt is most likely to advance. They've faced mid-tier flippers before (SubZero and Lucky) and easily dispatched them, so I don't think Banshee can beat them. Emulsifier is just worse Cobalt, so I assume Cobalt wins that. Probably Jackpot out of the other side of the bracket, and I'd think Cobalt will last longer than Jackpot in a fight that's just big exchanges of blows.

I don't think Banshee will have a shot against Cobalt, but they do have some hope as Cobalt doesn't have a self righter, other than hoping to get lucky enough and still have traction with the blade when upside down.

Although Emulsifier clearly struggled a lot in Championship 7, that is where they do have an advantage over Cobalt, as they can drive upside down.

Big Dill might be one to watch as they were starting to dial in their bot quite a bit in Championship 7. They went 3 minutes against Madcatter and only lost to Skorpios cause their bot turned off randomly or batteries died.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I don't think Banshee will have a shot against Cobalt, but they do have some hope as Cobalt doesn't have a self righter, other than hoping to get lucky enough and still have traction with the blade when upside down.

Although Emulsifier clearly struggled a lot in Championship 7, that is where they do have an advantage over Cobalt, as they can drive upside down.

Big Dill might be one to watch as they were starting to dial in their bot quite a bit in Championship 7. They went 3 minutes against Madcatter and only lost to Skorpios cause their bot turned off randomly or batteries died.

Oh for sure. I'm dismissing one of the most fun parts of Battlebots when I say Banshee "can't beat" Cobalt. There's always an Any Given Thursday aspect to the fights. If for no other reason than these are very complicated machines that can get shut down by any number of things.

I think if I had to bet Cobalt vs. the field, I'd bet Cobalt, but I wouldn't be super confident about it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I kind of like Double Tap's idea of a suicide or jammer drone but lol at the smallest possible thing to do it

quote:

It's interesting that now that Battlebots seems to have settled on a format and field size, the TV crew is playing a lot more on the drama of bots getting booted from the field. I don't think I like it being put as bluntly as they did with Mammoth in the post-fight interview. Just let them get dropped quietly in the offseason. I dislike watching the teams squirm under questions that are essentially "Hey, your bot sucks, huh?"

They have to do something to keep people watching when the robots aren't on screen I guess, but the drama and soundbite attempts are still never good. It's like when Blacksmith lost for the Nth time in a row and the captain almost started crying in frustration. Just lay off the team we all know the score guys

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 21, 2023

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

It was an ok round but in hindsight you can see there were bots that weren't going to survive. Slammo! and Beta weren't going to get far, although Beta did surprise me for one match. Deathroll had the worst luck I can remember for a botmatch. To have the side of the box part and prevent you from self-righting surely must result in a new rule! :v: I was favourably impressed with Gigabytes team they've really improved their driving but the bot still has that rule of physics against it, kinetic energy works both ways. Free Shipping did very well but it will meet an opponent who can turn the tables and attack ITS wheels.

Next round, Lucky v Cobalt?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

By the way, I had no idea those were flippers on the edge of the box or that they moved lmao

Has that ever mattered or come up before the Gigabyte/Deathroll match?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

By the way, I had no idea those were flippers on the edge of the box or that they moved lmao

Has that ever mattered or come up before the Gigabyte/Deathroll match?

I can't recall it ever mattering.

Also, I thought teams got one free "unstick" from the battlebox architecture?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

PostNouveau posted:

They removed the unsticks for Season 7 after the Witch Doctor / Minotaur match from season 6. Although even in season 6, it was only in the first 90 seconds of the fight that it was an option.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

PostNouveau posted:

I think that changed after nerds threw a fit about Witch Doctor getting an unstick. (Because it apparently happened all the time, but they decided to show it happening this one time, so clearly it was somehow favoritism.)

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
I'm just getting caught up and... oh Slammo. Buddy...!

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
I've rewatched the pivotal hits on Slammo and I still can't quite understand what's going on.

Deathroll hits it, and it like sprouts a kickstand, then it gets hit again and now there's three?

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
Those were the tiny little forks for the ground game attempt, I think…?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Yea 100% they are some form of attempt at having forks for a ground game that got bent back or maybe articulate and got stuck back.

Wasn't really a fight Slammo had any chance of winning, they were just an alternate in Championship going up against one of the harder hitting bots in the field.

Ray Billings posted a video today, just talking about Tombstone's weapon bars and their benefits and flaws. With some preference given to the bar that he can just send the CAD off to Whyachi and get in the mail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk7fO8o0EgY&t=4s

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Yea 100% they are some form of attempt at having forks for a ground game that got bent back or maybe articulate and got stuck back.
Yeah - it looked like they were hinged to try and stick low to the ground, but there wasn't anything substantial to prevent them going all the way under the robot.

That's what it looked like anyways.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Skorpios have said in their latest video that they're going to be revealing a new hazard that's coming to the arena next week. I wonder what it could be.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Hoping for a giant fuckin' spinner in the middle of the bottom so the control bots will be able to wreck your poo poo with that, or a comedy option hydraulic catapult built into the floor

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I want speed bumps. Smash the ground meta completely!

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I'd love a speed bump but I can't see it being anything like that, they said they don't want to stop people being able to speed around the floor. I can imagine a spinning disc thing in the corner makes sense though.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Yeah any ground changes to mess with the fork meta are also going to gently caress up speedy control bots like Claw Viper, which I don't think anybody wants.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Make a gradual slope of a couple degrees which would make forks incovenient, and end it as a big ramp so you can push bots off the end then jump over them

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Cobalt you dumbass

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I hope it's a pit of lava

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Banshee-Cobalt: lol this chaotic tournament continues to deliver with the easy favorite for this bracket going, "oh, let's get some stick time for a new driver". Cobalt obviously won this one, but this anemic driving really evens the playing field for their next match.

Jackpot-Big Dill: Wow Big Dill looked great for 15 seconds!

Emulsifier-Shredderator: haha, Emulsifier gets half its drive knocked out and Shredderator can't engage because their weapon is so much worse.

Lucky-Overhaul: When your pre-fight interview strategy is "Lure them into getting stuck in the killsaw slots", you really ought to build a real weapon. Overhaul is not as fast a Claw Viper and not as not as well-driven as Whiplash. Time to put this thing out to pasture.

Cobalt-Emulsifier: omg this new Cobalt driver is so bad. It's a good thing for him Cobalt is a much better bot than Emulsifier.

Lucky-Jackpot: I would love to know more about that minibot. I've gotta see that thing lift 500 lbs on one fork like the announcers claimed.

This is the only effective deployment of a minibot ever?

These forks on Lucky remind me of the weird geometry of the Skorpios plow where it's like ... you should think about what your bot's game plan is and not do things that get in the way even though they might seem beneficial. Yes, it is good to have forks that get under your opponent. It's also good to have your weapon reach your opponent.

Judges right? I dunno hard one to call there.

Weird robot demonstration: Can't wait to see how that thing will be adapted to kill me one day.

Cobalt-Jackpot: :lol: he went after the minibot and got loving annihilated for it. oh my god that was amazing. This is the wildest goddamn fight.

Holy poo poo Cobalt can still move! The weapon still works!

Oh man what a fight.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Chronojam posted:

hydraulic catapult built into the floor

Love this. Give us the yeetapult.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Next week

Claw Viper-Shatter
Monsoon-Gruff
Ripperoni-Glitch
Hypershock-Starchild

Hopefully Ripperoni takes this one, although I wouldn't mind seeing like half these bots win.

Disappointed no Witch Doctor in the Golden Bolt though. I thought they were setting them up against Hypershock in the last bracket or something.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Next week

Claw Viper-Shatter
Monsoon-Gruff
Ripperoni-Glitch
Hypershock-Starchild

Hopefully Ripperoni takes this one, although I wouldn't mind seeing like half these bots win.

Disappointed no Witch Doctor in the Golden Bolt though. I thought they were setting them up against Hypershock in the last bracket or something.

Starchild is the only bot I do not love. Every other fight will break my heart in one way or another.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Cobalt Fire was one of the more intense ones I remember from just a battery hit and not a fuel tank getting ruptured (aka Sawblaze).

Really decent group of fights, I like the idea of Emulsifiers tank treads, but they need to do some serious work on getting them to not fall off if the other bot looks at them funny...

PostNouveau posted:

Lucky-Jackpot: I would love to know more about that minibot. I've gotta see that thing lift 500 lbs on one fork like the announcers claimed.

Well if you want to dive more into the minibot, at least a similar version of it won the August NHRL 3lb event (they ran a minibot with it, so it's probably 4.5-5lb). And thus will be back at the NHRL finals on November 11th! This is the NHRL page for the bot https://wiki.nhrl.io/wiki/index.php/Supreme_Ruler, which has timestamped links to their fights!

PostNouveau posted:

Witch Doctor made it to the round of 8 last season before getting knocked out. Without the Gatekeeper system they ran the previous season, all the bots in the bracket only got to the round of 16 at best before getting knocked out.

Oddly though Lockjaw and Quantum were the only 2 early exit tournament bots that didn't get a spot in the Champions 2 Brackets.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

PostNouveau posted:

Next week

Claw Viper-Shatter
Monsoon-Gruff
Ripperoni-Glitch
Hypershock-Starchild

Let's go Claw Viper vs. Hypershock finals. Two fastest bots in the sport.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah it's Cobalt's bracket to lose

.... and boy, did they ever, lol. Being super hesitant about attacking + turning your back to the opponent was a great strategy for losing and they executed it perfectly. :v:

Here's the final bracket screengrab:

It's a great field but I'm gonna back Hypershock

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wonder if there's realistically anything full body spinners can do to be especially competitive anymore. They're still fun to watch but lol Shrederator and Gigabyte's always got an uphill battle.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

I wonder if there's realistically anything full body spinners can do to be especially competitive anymore. They're still fun to watch but lol Shrederator and Gigabyte's always got an uphill battle.

The meta turning to verts wrecked them. The upper deck doesn't help at all either.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Round 5 has the most painful matchups yet. I like almost all of these teams (I mostly feel bad for Starchild). Rooting for Claw Viper hard, money on Ripperoni to win over Hypershock for the spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I am still incredibly confused about the upper deck. Does it actually do anything aside from make things harder for horizontal spinners, reduce floor space, and provide more awkward angles for bots to get stuck on?