Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Stare-Out posted:

Latest update did something weird where fullscreening Youtube makes the screen go gray for a good second. Anyone else getting this or did an extension break?

That might be an extension you're running. When I fullscreen a YouTube video right now I get a short fade to black and fade back in, which I don't think has happened before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

nielsm posted:

That might be an extension you're running. When I fullscreen a YouTube video right now I get a short fade to black and fade back in, which I don't think has happened before.

I think that's been default behavior for a while because I remember having to tweak about :config to get rid of it along with the "X is now fullscreen" thing with every new install for a few years now. But yeah I figured it would be an extension, I'll look into it.

E: You can get rid of the fade in/out with these

full-screen-api.transition-duration.enter = "0 0"

full-screen-api.transition-duration.leave = "0 0"

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Thanks, that's much better!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Is there a way to keep all videos, like every single one, no matter what, from automatically playing in Firefox?

e: I should be clear, I have "Block Audio and Video" set as the default, which mostly doesn't appear to do anything.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 25, 2023

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

Is there a way to keep all videos, like every single one, no matter what, from automatically playing in Firefox?

e: I should be clear, I have "Block Audio and Video" set as the default, which mostly doesn't appear to do anything.

I was confused what you meant but I think it's because that's semi-default behaviour for opening in new tabs.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I get a weird overlay issue when I right click on certain menus, fields etc.
It overlays on top of the site's menu that pops up

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

doctorfrog posted:

Are you on macOS?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Digital Jedi posted:

I get a weird overlay issue when I right click on certain menus, fields etc.
It overlays on top of the site's menu that pops up

Do you have an extension to always show the context menu?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Klyith posted:

Do you have an extension to always show the context menu?

I originally figured I did but nope. After some more googling, I had
dom.event.contextmenu.enabled set to false. Guess that allowed it to open anytime

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Digital Jedi posted:

I originally figured I did but nope. After some more googling, I had
dom.event.contextmenu.enabled set to false. Guess that allowed it to open anytime
Shift-click does the same as setting dom.event.contextmenu.enable, in case you want the feature sometimes.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Ok, dumb question that boils down to "get some discipline, you dingus."

Is there an add-on that will start a timer once I hit a URL and chime at me after a bit? I keep getting sucked into rabbit-holes of shortform junk on Youtube and Facebook and a little chirp every so often when I am would probably help.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Echophonic posted:

Ok, dumb question that boils down to "get some discipline, you dingus."

Is there an add-on that will start a timer once I hit a URL and chime at me after a bit? I keep getting sucked into rabbit-holes of shortform junk on Youtube and Facebook and a little chirp every so often when I am would probably help.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/leechblock-ng/ is a "every configuration option possible" type add-on, so will need a bit of setup, but it can do timers.

And IMO needing these types of timers aren't about a lack of discipline when the problem is about losing track of time. The self-discipline is listening to your reminders and doing the thing you know you need to do.

My personal experience is that I can get into major night-owl problems because evening is when I'm on, my concentration is a loving laser late at night. Lock-out stuff didn't work at all for me, because it always interrupted something and I needed 10 more minutes. Text-to-speech reminders of the time and that it is too drat late work pretty great, because I could build in a natural taper-off.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

doctorfrog posted:

Go into about :config and set media.autoplay.blocking_policy to 2. This does wonders in my experience, albeit Mozilla notes it may break some sites.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

With private browsing, is there a way to get the tabs and cookies behavior to be more like Safari? I prefer Safari's version where there is nothing shared between tabs/windows.

I know there's no option in the settings (I think?) but maybe an extension that will do something like that?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

weird question maybe, but is there anyway to make it so that when I open firefox, it doesn't open maximized? it is a bit annoying if I use my computer at night and then my screen if flooded with a white background

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

gourdcaptain posted:

Go into about :config and set media.autoplay.blocking_policy to 2. This does wonders in my experience, albeit Mozilla notes it may break some sites.

I'll try it, thanks. (I assume this is a real option and not instructing me to write "11" on my amp with a sharpie and to turn the volume knob really hard.)

edit: ok I see it here: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Media/block-autoplay

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
Bah, I got hit with the youtube stick and finally can not load anything on youtube. It's just completely gone now.

Edit: the video loaded after 2 minutes?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

god please help me fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 27, 2023

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Yeah this seems to be a universal Youtube issue and unrelated to adblocking specifically. Opening a video in a new tab causes it to fail, opening in a private window works, clicking through from the main page also works. Speculation there's a fuckup in some change, some cookie clearing (Youubte and Google) might work but that's inconvenient. Also the page will load eventually.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Clearing my youtube and google data (not just cookies) worked for me. The giveaway was that if I simply signed out of my account the problem went away.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
My stern resolution to never have a youtube account looking better every day.

Add that to a bunch of blocker addons and it must at least be tricky for youtube to figure out who I am each time.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Atopian posted:

My stern resolution to never have a youtube account looking better every day.

Add that to a bunch of blocker addons and it must at least be tricky for youtube to figure out who I am each time.

Oh that's a commitment to a part - I sporadically look at youtube in a private tab, and boy howdy is that a cesspit compared to what it recommends to me.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Yeah, I get a lot of Nazi and Nazi accessory recommendations.
It's sort of helpful in a way. Whenever I wonder "why is society like this?", I can visit the page that YouTube gives to people it doesn't know anything about and be reminded.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

actionjackson posted:

weird question maybe, but is there anyway to make it so that when I open firefox, it doesn't open maximized? it is a bit annoying if I use my computer at night and then my screen if flooded with a white background

You can set Firefox to open with a dark about :blank and make new tabs black before they load up so you don't get brief flashes of blinding white every time you click a link.

It's in about :config, but because I'm an idiot I can't find what I changed right now to make it work :sigh:

e: I think it was browser.display.background_color and browser.display.background_color.dark

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Oct 28, 2023

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thanks! i did the first and made it a perfectly medium gray (#808080)

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 30, 2023

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

god please help me posted:

Bah, I got hit with the youtube stick and finally can not load anything on youtube. It's just completely gone now.

Edit: the video loaded after 2 minutes?

Just copy the video URL and open a Private Window and video will play. it will still load the page and works fine. You can then just click back to the normal window after watching if you have to make important post in "Comments" or do the whole Like & Subscribe & hit the Notification Bell cr*p every YT channel spouts multiple times throughout video's.

If your using uBlock Origin you can click the icon and open the settings and hold Shift & click Purge Cache then press Shift and click Update now on the Filter List Page.

Sorry Friend/s if i'm coming of like a complete and utter Jerk worked from 1pm and got home & 7am and the Junkies across the road decided to have a fight club meeting in the middle of the street so was woken up by 2 methed to the gills Wannabe Gangsta's screaming at each other while there Ice-Bunny covered junkie girlfriends were screeching like wild animals.

Just Exhausted and very Tired due to only getting 2hours sleep and the Caffeine isn't kicking in yet.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

actionjackson posted:

thanks! i did the first and made it a perfectly medium gray (#808080)

Glad it worked.

The fact you can be in dark mode on your OS and dark mode in Firefox and still have blinding white flashes before the page loads is just terrible a design oversight.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

NVB posted:

Just copy the video URL and open a Private Window and video will play. it will still load the page and works fine. You can then just click back to the normal window after watching if you have to make important post in "Comments" or do the whole Like & Subscribe & hit the Notification Bell cr*p every YT channel spouts multiple times throughout video's.

If your using uBlock Origin you can click the icon and open the settings and hold Shift & click Purge Cache then press Shift and click Update now on the Filter List Page.

I never thought of copy/pasting into a private window. It's so obvious, but I am oblivious lol

What does the shift-click update now do versus just doing it without a shift?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

slidebite posted:

I never thought of copy/pasting into a private window. It's so obvious, but I am oblivious lol

Covered earlier in the thread when I asked about it, and I later found out exactly how it works: it invalidates the in-memory cache of the list that Firefox might have.

Obviously it does nothing if you, like me, have disabled Firefox's memory caching and instead use file caching because your filesystem has a much better caching implementation.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

e: my issue was with Windows, not blameless ol' Firefox.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 5, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

doctorfrog posted:

e: my issue was with Windows, not blameless ol' Firefox.

Having seen the thing you edited out, check your event log for ShellExperienceHost or some other appx crap that's not working.

And if so, get ready for a fun time, and my sympathies. My recommendation would be to go straight to using a win10 installer usb stick to do an in-place upgrade, which is both good at fixing whatever problem makes appx go to poo poo with less disruption to your stuff than a Reset PC w/ Keep Files.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

It's all good friend. We all learn something new everyday

Hope either solution helps you.

Sidenote you can still grab the video and have it play in VLC & You don't get forced-fed onto your Device the super awesome totally not spyware tracking cookies - spamware - advertisement's forced onto you.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Klyith posted:

Having seen the thing you edited out, check your event log for ShellExperienceHost or some other appx crap that's not working.

And if so, get ready for a fun time, and my sympathies. My recommendation would be to go straight to using a win10 installer usb stick to do an in-place upgrade, which is both good at fixing whatever problem makes appx go to poo poo with less disruption to your stuff than a Reset PC w/ Keep Files.

It was simpler than that, luckily, and almost pure user error. A few days earlier, I had disabled task thumbnails altogether, using Winaero Tweaker. Upon re-enabling it, it reset the number of permitted thumbnails per application to 1. So, any app with more than one window wouldn't show the thumbnails. I just happened to notice it in Firefox. (Why Firefox went ahead and altered its internal option on its own--if it did--is beyond me.)

Almost, but not quite, entirely user error.

Better still, I went back to disabling thumbnails, since I decided I don't really use them anyway. Everyone wins!

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
so I'm not really sure where to post this, but for some reason all my google logins keep getting logged out whenever I close the browser, my 3 gmail accounts and youtube specifically, I've tried deleting cookies, turning off all of my add-ons, restarting, reinstalling firefox, even tried edge same deal, the option for deleting cookies on browser close is not checked, managed to get my gmails all stayed logged in like once, then I logged into youtube and they all got booted again and now I'm back to square one, kinda losing my mind here, phone seems unaffected but I'm too scared to log out any of my accounts there.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!
code:
js:(function () { 
tis = document.getElementsByClassName('timg_container');
console.log(tis.length);
for (let t of tis) {
   let j = jQuery(t);
   j.toggleClass("expanded");
   j.toggleClass("constrained");  
 } })();
Are you a lazy slob? Is clicking your mouse too much effort :effort:? Add the code as a bookmark and it will toggle all timg'es in the page for you. Nice if you're catching up with the comics thread or other image heavy thread.

You must replace the initial "js" with "javascript", cloudflare blocked my post to protect y'all from my 31337 hax0r1ng.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

runaway dog posted:

so I'm not really sure where to post this, but for some reason all my google logins keep getting logged out whenever I close the browser, my 3 gmail accounts and youtube specifically, I've tried deleting cookies, turning off all of my add-ons, restarting, reinstalling firefox, even tried edge same deal, the option for deleting cookies on browser close is not checked, managed to get my gmails all stayed logged in like once, then I logged into youtube and they all got booted again and now I'm back to square one, kinda losing my mind here, phone seems unaffected but I'm too scared to log out any of my accounts there.
If it's happening in Edge too and only to Google-associated logins sounds like it's not a Firefox thing but something with your Google account that your PC isn't staying trusted. Do you have Google set to 2FA?

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/54490?hl=en

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Knormal posted:

If it's happening in Edge too and only to Google-associated logins sounds like it's not a Firefox thing but something with your Google account that your PC isn't staying trusted. Do you have Google set to 2FA?

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/54490?hl=en

Actually logging directly into the google account page and booting a bunch of old logins, changing the pw, and resetting 2fa, seems to have fixed it? If so I'm grateful.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Looks like youtube is trying out new bullshit, this time directly targeting Firefox users. Adding a 5 second delay before every video.

All this is from reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/17ywbjj/whenever_i_open_a_youtube_video_in_a_new_tab_its/
https://www.reddit.com/r/LinusTechTips/comments/17zl69x/youtube_has_started_to_artificially_slow_down/

quote:

To clarify it more, it's simply this code in their polymer script link:

setTimeout(function() {
c();
a.resolve(1)
}, 5E3);

which doesn't do anything except making you wait 5s (5E3 = 5000ms = 5s). You can search for it easily in

https://www.youtube.com/s/desktop/96766c85/jsbin/desktop_polymer_enable_wil_icons.vflset/desktop_polymer_enable_wil_icons.js

Which you can apparently get around by spoofing Chrome.

https://i.imgur.com/tANfKQ3.mp4

Obligatory caveat - I am not a code guy, so I don't know if their explanation is bullshit or legit. But I have been seeing exactly this effect for the last day or so.

I just assumed it was my lovely Australian internet connection.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Wow that's a pathetic level of pettiness.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

They've been caught doing that poo poo before, multiple times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
drat, I shouldn't be surprised this isn't the first time.

It just seems to unbelievably blatant, putting it right in a publicly viewable script like that, though.