Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

McCoy Pauley posted:

As a sorcerer, if I'm slotting a spell into an enchantment slot, do I want to rank up the spell, or is having a single level of the slotted spell going to give me all the benefit I need from slotting an enchantment?

ranks don't matter for enchantments, a single level is all you need

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

McCoy Pauley posted:

As a sorcerer, if I'm slotting a spell into an enchantment slot, do I want to rank up the spell, or is having a single level of the slotted spell going to give me all the benefit I need from slotting an enchantment?

The sadly inevitable answer is: it depends. Some are there to apply a status effect so one level is fine, some (fireball) are there for damage and benefit from levels

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Tarnop posted:

The sadly inevitable answer is: it depends. Some are there to apply a status effect so one level is fine, some (fireball) are there for damage and benefit from levels

Thanks. Fireball was the one I wanted to know about, so I guess I know what to do with my next 4 points.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Fireball enchantment's usefulness will eventually fall off but until then it's absolutely worth 7 points, especially this season with the density in Blood Harvest

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Yeah it was night and day when I hit 30 and put in a max level fireball.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Tarnop posted:

I wish the ice armor enchantment increased from 5% with levels :argh:

It would probably be op though.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The silent chests you need for season chapter 3 - are the maps online up to date? Tried looking some up and travelling to those spots but couldn't find any. Do they randomly spawn around that area, do they spawn at certain times of day, is there something I have to do to get them to spawn or are the maps just out of date?

I don’t have hard data, and haven’t referenced any online maps. Here’s some anecdata: they seem to show up randomly, but I’ve felt like I’ve seen a lot of them during helltides vs vamptides.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
huh, last night i rode to the world boss and i didnt the nearby waypoint in nostrava so i specifically went there and got it on the way to the boss. today i dont have the waypoint again and missed it :/

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Tarnop posted:

Caches still smuggle the bad loot through the filter and yes it's dumb that blues and whites still drop as items in later tiers

Tree caches go off level for gear tier I think. So they sneak in junk.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

sorting equipment once you're near endgame is still absolutely dire

they either need to stopgap with some really high quality loot filtering ala last epoch, or totally rethink affixes, or both

sitting around in town with eyes glazing over after another three screens of junk dropped in a vampire boss farm is not fun, the fun part is killing all the vampires

it's the one remaining major point of friction for me - unfortunately I don't see them fixing it before whatever the first expansion is unless they pull a surprise out of their hat

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

victrix posted:

sorting equipment once you're near endgame is still absolutely dire

they either need to stopgap with some really high quality loot filtering ala last epoch, or totally rethink affixes, or both

sitting around in town with eyes glazing over after another three screens of junk dropped in a vampire boss farm is not fun, the fun part is killing all the vampires

it's the one remaining major point of friction for me - unfortunately I don't see them fixing it before whatever the first expansion is unless they pull a surprise out of their hat

100%

The vampire zone drops way too much trash. I'm at the point where I don't even look at affixes unless it's over own level 900 because then at least it's a little faster. Still, real bad.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i feel like a loot filter/auto-trash is the only thing stopping this season from being literally just 15 man afking at the vampire event to 100 and perfect gear (where you then grind nmds angrily until you're done)

theres something else wrong with the system when "we have too much loot, and the solution is to turn most of it into dust automatically with a filter". like those are obvious, positive QoL things that no good person could say no to, but it sorta reveals a flaw in the game deeper than that

i feel like d2 did a really good job about this and d3 tried to reproduce that and failed, and now its been "increase the loot hose" since then and it hasnt fixed anything

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Suburban Dad posted:

100%

The vampire zone drops way too much trash. I'm at the point where I don't even look at affixes unless it's over own level 900 because then at least it's a little faster. Still, real bad.

This. 925 or blacksmith.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Verviticus posted:

i feel like a loot filter/auto-trash is the only thing stopping this season from being literally just 15 man afking at the vampire event to 100 and perfect gear (where you then grind nmds angrily until you're done)

theres something else wrong with the system when "we have too much loot, and the solution is to turn most of it into dust automatically with a filter". like those are obvious, positive QoL things that no good person could say no to, but it sorta reveals a flaw in the game deeper than that

i feel like d2 did a really good job about this and d3 tried to reproduce that and failed, and now its been "increase the loot hose" since then and it hasnt fixed anything

D2 accomplished this by having a very small set of items that you wanted and could identify from the ground. It still dropped a poo poo ton of garbage that we just visually loot filtered out.

D3 ironically got it closer to an ideal state once RoS was released.

D4 just feels like a step backwards

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Verviticus posted:

huh, last night i rode to the world boss and i didnt the nearby waypoint in nostrava so i specifically went there and got it on the way to the boss. today i dont have the waypoint again and missed it :/
You can get across the entire map corner to corner in like 30 seconds now with the new horse. Sounds like someone was procrastinating.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

An item filter to just filter out bases and itemlevels would already be a major improvement. Like, just show me ilvl 900+ amulets and rings or something.

One step up would be actually filtering affix combinations like last epoch. But on the other hand, theres so many affixes that do the exact same thing that it will all look like a giant jumbled mess anyway

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The biggest problem with D4's loot is that it presents the illusion of complexity, but when you break it down, like 85% of the affixes are just "slightly more damage with conditions" and some of those are things you are doing literally 100% of the time anyway, so who wouldn't want to use those. You're not making meaningful choices that give your character any sort of strategy or flavor, the impact of a single piece is barely worth a paragon point in most cases. In an ARPG getting sick loot should ALWAYS be the ultimate objective, but here it's just an annoyance. Who creams their pants over "+6.9% more damage to Injured Enemies," compared to "+2 to All Skills" or "+20% Faster Cast Rate" or you know things that most human beings can actually visually quantify and enjoy.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I would really like if they just did the brave thing and completely scrapped the old series-long concept of these affixes as they exist, and start again from scratch. Make each affix do something totally unique and different. Like you have the +critical strike damage mainstay, and then another that does +area damage, which existed in D3, and another affix that does a certain lucky hit effect. That sort of thing. As it is, it's all 'do bigger numbers' under samey conditions such as vulnerable or bleeding or berserking...

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

D2 also had the notion of prefixes vs suffixes instead of just affixes so at least there's some competition going on under the hood.

Fewer more impactful item mods would be a good idea. D3 item mods are boring but all the customization was in the cube in that game anyway.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
I have a new loot filter installed in my brain, it's set to ignore anything that isn't a legendary, unique, or duriel drop. it's pretty op in the current meta, of loot being sharted from the sky

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Can't log in, server hangs. I take it this is because of the free trial? Haven't had a chance to catch up so apologies if this has already been discussed.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
haven’t heard anything about server issues on a broad scale, just individuals. also there’s a trial?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

m.hache posted:

D2 accomplished this by having a very small set of items that you wanted and could identify from the ground. It still dropped a poo poo ton of garbage that we just visually loot filtered out.

D3 ironically got it closer to an ideal state once RoS was released.

D4 just feels like a step backwards

you could also identify which rares you didnt want by the base item (and thus ignore them as well) because they still had non-level scaling implications but now 'sword' has a different, more annoying meaning

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

how is everyone's fashion in season 2

Daemonqueller
Aug 16, 2004

Ehud posted:

He wears short shorts Nair wears short shorts

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I would really like if they just did the brave thing and completely scrapped the old series-long concept of these affixes as they exist, and start again from scratch. Make each affix do something totally unique and different. Like you have the +critical strike damage mainstay, and then another that does +area damage, which existed in D3, and another affix that does a certain lucky hit effect. That sort of thing. As it is, it's all 'do bigger numbers' under samey conditions such as vulnerable or bleeding or berserking...

this would of course be ideal but it's an absolutely massive undertaking far beyond what just giving the game a decently functioning item system forged out of the current exceedingly mediocre item system would be. plus at this point in development, the affix system is inseparable from the game mechanics

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Ehud posted:

mine is just big gray robes and beard bc his name is gandalf. it looked better with a staff but now he's using a wand and focus and it's RUINED EVERYTHING

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Who creams their pants over "+6.9% more damage to Injured Enemies," compared to "+2 to All Skills" or "+20% Faster Cast Rate" or you know things that most human beings can actually visually quantify and enjoy.
THIS SO HARD.

I got a good item which was like
+19.8% Damage to Injured Enemies
+22.4% Damage to Close Enemies
+21.1% Damage to Healthy Enemies

I was just nonplussed. How am I even gonna remember all that? Is it good? Idk? How close is close? Man idk i guess its good? Maybe?

Later suddenly I dropped a thing that had just:
4.5% faster skill cooldowns

And went gently caress YES!! That’s good! I want that! I need that!
And when I equipped it I could tell the difference instantly.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
this image is old but it made me realize just how many near useless affixes there really are

some of those in the last three columns are now actually good but you could remove like half of those

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

be. plus at this point in development, the affix system is inseparable from the game mechanics

Yeah I was thinking they are tied into all the boards and the leg affixes

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well let’s see what they can come up with for Diablo 5

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Ehud posted:

I take my "there are no hornt costumes" comment from last week

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Ehud posted:

This guy goes to multiple edm festivals every year

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Kaysette posted:

this image is old but it made me realize just how many near useless affixes there really are

some of those in the last three columns are now actually good but you could remove like half of those

lmao so dumb

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Kaysette posted:

ah yes, part of the blizzard "secret sauce" that makes their game so good aka stretching out the content...

what an absolute poo poo list - it should be 1/4 of this so much random, useless, pointless crap.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

honestly I think the entire fountains of trash is a genre convention that needs to be tossed out the window, but baby steps

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Goons in this very thread saying bad and useless affixes is good game design because otherwise people would get good gear too quickly. Blizzard catering to those players since they complain the loudest.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
thank god for that

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
having a couple bad affixes is fine, but that big list is just transparently what happens when you've run out of time and need to come up with 50 new affixes in 24 hours or w/e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Alright this is pretty goofy.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...67b00c7e086780&

Not crazy powerful or anything, but a fun change of pace from the usual. My only real complaint is that the uptime is so short. Gonna try and stack some CDR and get it so I can keep Hurricane up 24/7 and see if the boulders will stick around as well, but I'm seriously doubting that will work.