Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
A reminder that no one should read the Alan Davis solo run on Uncanny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

rantmo posted:

Well Brian's alcoholism and overall lovely treatment of Meggan was a storyline that actually played out and got a resolution.
Hank Pym's bipolar disorder and singular act of domestic violence is also a storyline that played out and got a resolution. In fact, it's been forgotten and resolved like eight times!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
pym's possibly back again, so it's time for #9!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I know Geoff Johns run of Avengers is infamous for that scene, and I wouldn't be surprised if he ruins it later, but the nice thing about that scene is it showed a Hank and Janet that had moved past their baggage and genuinely loved being around each other.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I think I counted eight X-books this week? That seems like a lot.

Uncanny Avengers and Spider-Man were good, but the art took a hit on Avengers this month. Alpha Flight and Dark X-Men were okay. Realm of X didn't do a lot for me and the art took a BIG hit this month.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Realm of X didn't do a lot for me and the art took a BIG hit this month.

I was undecided if I was going to bother with this one because the first two issues did nothing for me. Guess you helped me out discarding it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Uncanny Avengers and Spider-Man were good, but the art took a hit on Avengers this month. Alpha Flight and Dark X-Men were okay. Realm of X didn't do a lot for me and the art took a BIG hit this month.

I haven't read this weeks books yet, but the first issue of Realm of X didn't do much for me either, which is annoying because based on the characters in it I should loving love it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

i was looking at releases and was kinda amazed that we're already halfway through Fall, and except for the books that were already good before it started it's just a lot of eh

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Most of the 4-issue things in Fall should just have been one-shots anyway. nothing happened in Alpha Flight, Realm of X, Uncanny Avengers, or Jean Grey this week

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Air Skwirl posted:

I know Geoff Johns run of Avengers is infamous for that scene, and I wouldn't be surprised if he ruins it later, but the nice thing about that scene is it showed a Hank and Janet that had moved past their baggage and genuinely loved being around each other.

that was a skrull

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Air Skwirl posted:

I haven't read this weeks books yet, but the first issue of Realm of X didn't do much for me either, which is annoying because based on the characters in it I should loving love it.

It doesn't help that the writer is giving Mary an english accent for no reason.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

La Louve Rouge posted:

Most of the 4-issue things in Fall should just have been one-shots anyway. nothing happened in Alpha Flight, Realm of X, Uncanny Avengers, or Jean Grey this week

I liked Uncanny Avengers, and Dark X-Men and Ms. Marvel were pretty good (some of those might be from last week, a flat tire prevented me from picking up books).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Was it a skrull in the run or one of the skulls retconned in during Secret Invasion?

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Air Skwirl posted:

I liked Uncanny Avengers, and Dark X-Men and Ms. Marvel were pretty good (some of those might be from last week, a flat tire prevented me from picking up books).

Yeah I like Madelin Pryor before Dark X-Men I remember her being in the Sisterhood of Mutants where Psylocke shuved her psychic dagger in her head to release her from control - that also might be when dazzler blew off half of her face.

E:

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 26, 2023

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

To bring it back to the conspicuous absence of Carol Danvers in this event, Ms. Marvel is a loving mutant now. Carol was her idol and has acted as her mentor in the past. She should be at least like "oh poo poo, this kid I know who named her super hero identity after me is in some deep poo poo, maybe I should check in on her?"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What the gently caress happened to realm lmao. Again its like nothing this week for me so I think I'll skip out on the entire line til whatever's up next happens I guess.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Oct 26, 2023

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Air Skwirl posted:

To bring it back to the conspicuous absence of Carol Danvers in this event, Ms. Marvel is a loving mutant now. Carol was her idol and has acted as her mentor in the past. She should be at least like "oh poo poo, this kid I know who named her super hero identity after me is in some deep poo poo, maybe I should check in on her?"

To be fair, #1 of her book came out this week and if it's happening at the same time as the mutant stuff, events go some way to explain why she's less present.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Realm of X was actually embarrassing this week. Like it's insane that this got printed.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Realm of X was actually embarrassing this week. Like it's insane that this got printed.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Yeah I like Madelin Pryor before Dark X-Men I remember her being in the Sisterhood of Mutants where Psylocke shuved her psychic dagger in her head to release her from control - that also might be when dazzler blew off half of her face.

E:

IIRC it's not Maddy in the Sisterhood. It's a clone or some poo poo.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Yeah. Those weird, crossed and googly eyes where far to prominent. Thought at first it was a cartoonish, over-exaggerated expression thing, but then they stayed in the vast majority of panels, even when people where just calmly talking.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Like there's nothing wrong with that style of art. It's not my cup of tea but it's fine. It just doesn't work at all for this story or those characters.

But Realm of X has been a huge whiff at every level.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
realm's more of a disappointment to me because the characters are mostly ones i like.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Air Skwirl posted:

Yeah I guess tbf uncanny Spider-Man and Ms marvel are pretty decent. Haven't caught up on dark X-Men yet

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Air Skwirl posted:

Air Skwirl posted:

Was it a skrull in the run or one of the skulls retconned in during Secret Invasion?
The Skrull retcon was the Secret Invasion one, and in the vaguely set 'flashback' of him being replaced by a Skrull:

1. Hank and Jan were living together after leaving the Avengers post-Disassembled.
2. Hank accepted a position at Oxford and they moved there together. They eventually split because Jan didn't want to live in London and wanted to move back to New York.
3. Hank meets a grad student at Oxford who takes an interest in him and then after a couple of dates she turns into a Skrull, beats him up and replaces him.
4. Hank moves back to New York too.

I believe all of the Hank/Janet reconciliations they keep doing took place before or after the Skrull replacement. Skrull-Hank had a relationship (and a son) with Tigra, which may be what is being remembered?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
my hot take was that the art in realm 3 is dirty and, given a weird pacing moment halfway through, presumably rushed. but it still looks better than the finished but fairly lifeless art that was in the previous issue. and while the stylized eyes are a thing i can understand why it would take some people out, i would disagree with calling it bad

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

I believe all of the Hank/Janet reconciliations they keep doing took place before or after the Skrull replacement. Skrull-Hank had a relationship (and a son) with Tigra, which may be what is being remembered?

Certainly Vulpes remembers it. Moon Knight is dating Tigra and is wonderfully odd new father figure to William.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Alright, Dark X-Men. It's not an Emplate face turn, but I'll take the pretty explicit acknowledgement that he has regrets.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I know not everyone likes Captain America's corny-rear end speeches about America and the dream but dammit if I didn't really enjoy Uncanny Avengers this week. I like him admitting that he didn't like when all the mutants left but acknowledged it was because America failed them. Also the last panel is one of the best uses of a meme I've seen in a comic

site posted:

my hot take was that the art in realm 3 is dirty and, given a weird pacing moment halfway through, presumably rushed. but it still looks better than the finished but fairly lifeless art that was in the previous issue. and while the stylized eyes are a thing i can understand why it would take some people out, i would disagree with calling it bad

I agree actually.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i was expecting it to be some sort of fakeout since captain krakoa is definitely his nazi doppleganger.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yyeah I thought Uncanny was kinda mid, although I actually like this art more than Garron's. I know Cap's actual superpower is giving speeches, but I also feel like we're moved past the usefulness of "And then everyone stood up and clapped!" moments when an entire people have been genocided as far as they know. Real softball stuff compared to Kate, Cable, and Bishop being out there all the time cleaving through fascist hordes.

And what's this "I'm skeptical of the official story" nonsense? Psylocke and Monet were literally there! You have actual eyewitnesses telling you the story was a lie and you're still gonna coddle the public about it? This is what's gonna get Kwannon hot and bothered over you? That, I'm skeptical of :sweatdrop:

Great Quicksilver stuff though.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Oct 27, 2023

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the first issue gave me unrealistically high expectations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

BrianWilly posted:

Yyeah I thought Uncanny was kinda mid, although I actually like this art more than Garron's. I know Cap's actual superpower is giving speeches, but I also feel like we're moved past the usefulness of "And then everyone stood up and clapped!" moments when an entire people have been genocided as far as they know. Real softball stuff compared to Kate, Cable, and Bishop being out there all the time cleaving through fascist hordes.

Because that poo poo doesn't matter on it's own. It's popcorn. Fun but not filling. You can't just kill your way to liberation, you need to be seen as an actual person too. It's like saying antisemitism ended when Hitler shot himself. The bad guy died, now everything is cool....right? Also this squad is packed with killers who have never backed off from the idea of killing fascists. It's just doing some more actual work of having "The dude who is basically always morally right" giving a speech about how mutants are people and haven't done anything wrong.

quote:

And what's this "I'm skeptical of the official story" nonsense? Psylocke and Monet were literally there! You have actual eyewitnesses telling you the story was a lie and you're still gonna coddle the public about it?

So wait, you are saying mutants told him that mutants didn't do it? That'll show the racists.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

BrianWilly posted:

And what's this "I'm skeptical of the official story" nonsense? Psylocke and Monet were literally there! You have actual eyewitnesses telling you the story was a lie and you're still gonna coddle the public about it? This is what's gonna get Kwannon hot and bothered over you? That, I'm skeptical of :sweatdrop:

Great Quicksilver stuff though.

If just jumping on camera and saying "ORCHIS IS FULL OF poo poo" would actually work, they would've done it. Krakoa wasn't exactly riding high on popular opinion from the beginning, with Magneto being like co-president and giving "YOU PEOPLE" heel speeches every time a camera was pointed at him

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Catching up on my comics for the week - since when can Black Widow fly?

E: Unless it's an X-Men comic or She-Hulk I am out of the loop on Avengers comics.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

nunsexmonkrock posted:

E: Unless it's an X-Men comic or She-Hulk I am out of the loop on Avengers comics.

Maybe one of the others with TK is gently lowering her down?

She also has a symbiote in the Venom series which I assume won't be mentioned in this book. I don't think those usually confer the power of flight though.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Maybe one of the others with TK is gently lowering her down?

She also has a symbiote in the Venom series which I assume won't be mentioned in this book. I don't think those usually confer the power of flight though.

The only one I can think of doing it might be Monet. At least the Betsy Braddock version of Psylocke was never good at flying -- I think it was Rachel Gray that said she could destroy a mountain with her TK but she can not gently move a dime - or something like that

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I thought OG Betsy didn't have telekinesis at all. Spiral and Mojo built that in or something.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Nessus posted:

I thought OG Betsy didn't have telekinesis at all. Spiral and Mojo built that in or something.

There was a power switch with Jean Gray that was never explained - she gave her telepaty to Jean and Betsy got Jeans Telekinesis.

E: Chris Claremont left writing the X-Men before it was explained.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Oct 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

nunsexmonkrock posted:

She flies just like Xena Warrior Princess can