Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I simply cannot get rid of trash. 55k people in the city, ten fully upgraded incinerators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer
I have fixed the problem of trash by just exporting it, which apparently is a free service in this build of the game :shrug:. I think I'll wait one or two patch fixes to continue on, although I do see myself sinking a lot of time into this game in future, once modding comes good.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Supposedly incinerators are bugged and not working properly.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Kyte posted:

Probably because making it look nice automatically involves enough fiddling and special cases and edge cases to warrant punting it to the back of the queue when they aren't crunching to finish core functionality.
Pretty much any kind of procedural generation needs a long cycle of fiddling and adjusting until it looks good.

it's not proc gen, it just fills an area with a given texture

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Am I totally missing something or did they not add anything but 4 way stops? I can't just drop stop signs on the two-lane roads that go into my collectors and arterials?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Am I totally missing something or did they not add anything but 4 way stops? I can't just drop stop signs on the two-lane roads that go into my collectors and arterials?

No, all stops are four way. The beta people made it clear to CO that we want per-lane control but I'm guessing gameplay changes are not coming until they're satisfied with performance and bug fixes.

However you can remove the traffic lights in that particular situation and you should automatically get yield signs on the two lanes to prioritize the larger road.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Grand Fromage posted:

No, all stops are four way. The beta people made it clear to CO that we want per-lane control but I'm guessing gameplay changes are not coming until they're satisfied with performance and bug fixes.

However you can remove the traffic lights in that particular situation and you should automatically get yield signs on the two lanes to prioritize the larger road.

I guess that'll work in a pinch. Wasn't stop signs a base game function in CS1? :psyduck:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Grand Fromage posted:

That's pretty standard way it works in Finland.

There's few stop signed crossings too, but they're way rarer than just using yield signs.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I guess that'll work in a pinch. Wasn't stop signs a base game function in CS1? :psyduck:

It was. But yield signs were a mod addition.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Ive got a feeling that perhaps they have a gnarly bug with item/inventory transfer and supply chain stuff that they couldnt work out in time for release so they dropped in an abstracted global surplus/deficit mechanic so they could ship the game on time.

There is to much effort put into specific item qtys for them to just be fake window dressing as a deliberate design choice. Could simply be that the more fleshed out system was super imbalanced and wrecking the economic side of the game so they pulled it to allow more balancing.

loving played for like 5 hours straight tonight. Still scratches the city builder itch like no other.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
The patch has fixed the biggest issue for me, which was the insane hitching every 3rd second. Good stuff, that.

My review here on the back of about 20 hours of play with a city at 130k.

Negative:
• The performance is...rough. Even on my 5950X + 3090, this runs...acceptably at 1440p.
• The simulation has some rough edges (it seems - I don't know the exact parameters). Commercial 'Not Enough Customers' is odd. The endless demand for Low Density Housing is odd. There are some other things.
• While the core sim is really good, there are parts that are a little abstract and hard to understand. Also, the entire idea of supply/demand economics of materials might be smoke and mirrors.
• Some stuff is really rough. Managing the underground and figuring how what depth you are placing stuff is awesome. The Night Time visibility is basically zero. Intersection Edge cases are frustrating.
• This runs afoul of most sequels coming off of a platform that has had 10 years of support - it feels VERY thin compared to it's previous entry.
• Requiring a Paradox account to eventually download mods is insanely stupid.

Notes:
• A really interesting bit here though is that the game does a REALLY good job tapping out all the cores on my CPU somewhat evenly - that's a real neat trick. If it's managing to do that efficiently, I'm really excited to see what people do with this... eventually.
• Tuning is weird. The 'subsidies' system I think is a good attempt at leveling it out a bit. The game starts with you having to be ruthlessly efficient, but can quickly become trivial if you start putting the pieces together. Things like electrical and transportation can straight-up operate in the black. The game quickly became trivial. City Levels granting so much cash basically neuters that early game tension that could be there.

Positive:
• The key features are still awesome. Being able to zoom out to see the entire map, and instantly zoom into someone's forehead is a real neat trick - it's fun to just watch your city 'work'.
• Having a decent level of control over the entire supply chain of a city is interesting - It's cool to see your city specialize (although I don't know if it really matters).
• I think overall the services model is probably the best it's ever been, even with a few rough edges. Emergency services interact way more impactfully with your city, which is a good change.
• I'm pretty confident this is going to be a great city builder and an awesome platform...eventually.

----

I think the game is pretty good overall, although it's definitely disappointing in more then one space. I think the technical problems the game has to solve *seem* easy to fix over the next month or two. Tapping out the GPU with a blank map seems more like 'bug' and not 'design'. The lack of a 'real' economy of goods is a huge problem if that is indeed true. I'm going to assume they are going to fix most of this...eventually

Right now, the game pretty flawed. I think in 2 years it might be really good, but it's definitely rough today. I really a more complex, more in depth city builder and that's kinda what they were suggesting was going to be delivered, but I just don't see it here yet. There is a lot of stuff that needs to be added and fixed before that's the case though. Maybe this will be a great game one day, but it's probably just 'fine' today. Still way better then Sim City 2013 I guess.

The take away is this: The game *could* be good, but the game is applying too much fudge so it ends up being more 'Sandbox' then 'Simulation'

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Oct 27, 2023

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

RoyalScion posted:

Supposedly incinerators are bugged and not working properly.

I watched my incinerators, industrial waste processing sites, and recycling centers, and their stored garbage amounts are definitely ticking down. Not fast mind you, but they are going down. Not sure if they are working correctly, but they do seem to be processing... something.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

FPyat posted:

Got a Reddit post arguing that the economic simulation is all smoke and mirrors.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/s/Vw9qN3HbYE

That explains why my cargo trains and port weren't doing dick all. Dunno if the OP can be amended but among the other things that are just plain broken in case new people are wondering. Someone in that thread speculated it was becuase influencers found a money loophole just exporting tons of stuff for a lot of cash. Gonna start looking at my highways to see if trucks belonging to businesses actually move out of the city.

- Post simulation system does nothing.
- Garbage incinerators don't actually burn any trash. Work around is to build zero garbage infrastructure and the game will ignore it for you. I believe this is simply the outside network sending garbage trucks for you (that is what it looks like visually and clicking on the trucks) or the game simply doesn't track trash at all until your first garbage building
- "Not enough customers" is effectively a display bug. Since no cims shop at night, this makes the game think the business is about to go under when it should be averaged out across 24 hours.

edit: We also need high capacity elementary schools. I have one on every block of my city at this point with high density buildings.

MikeC fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 27, 2023

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

turn off the TV posted:

it's not proc gen, it just fills an area with a given texture

It still needs an algorithm to choose how to spread the foundations to the street edge in a way that looks nice. The simplest algorithm is "just flood fill the place" if you don't mind a concrete hellscape. (and even that might run into snags in certain building-road-terrain configurations)

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

Why the gently caress isn't autosave on by default? I just lost two hours of play because the game crashed.

Someone really wanted to accomplish their dream - to ship a game with worst possible default settings.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Kyte posted:

Didn't someone say they generated cims with a tool? If so they're p much limited to what the tool can do, and they definitely didn't have man-hours in the budget to manually make a new set of cims.

There's a dozen automated approaches to making LODs of arbitrary models. If the tool can't make them, throw it out.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

The more I think about it the more sure I am the economic situation is either a bug or, more likely imo, a last-minute fudge they pushed out because something was wrong with the model and they couldn't fix it in time. The system they touted had a whole dev diary and also forms central parts of both logistics chains within your city, and imports and exports. It's not that I think they're so extraordinarily honest that I can't imagine these were lies, but that if they were deliberate lies they would have done a better job of hiding it. Like this would be the equivalent of the game not actually having mass transit and just teleporting people everywhere, but not even bothering to provide a fake number of passengers when you look at a bus.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

It must be bugged since my port with two routes that ships regularily stop at is just stockpiling goods and the ships don't take anything. That's too stupid to be on purpose.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010

Son of Rodney posted:

It must be bugged since my port with two routes that ships regularily stop at is just stockpiling goods and the ships don't take anything. That's too stupid to be on purpose.

If you check your port in the line view, you can see the amount of goods that should be picked up by the ship and exported. Same thing is happening for cargo train stations and possibly planes as well. External cities do definitely generate demand, so maybe the game checks how much a vehicle should export and the value comes up as 0 every time.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Ms Adequate posted:

The more I think about it the more sure I am the economic situation is either a bug or, more likely imo, a last-minute fudge they pushed out because something was wrong with the model and they couldn't fix it in time. The system they touted had a whole dev diary and also forms central parts of both logistics chains within your city, and imports and exports. It's not that I think they're so extraordinarily honest that I can't imagine these were lies, but that if they were deliberate lies they would have done a better job of hiding it. Like this would be the equivalent of the game not actually having mass transit and just teleporting people everywhere, but not even bothering to provide a fake number of passengers when you look at a bus.

Youtubers were making money hand over fist setting up basic-rear end export in preview videos. I wonder if they broke something last-minute trying to "fix" that? Given how much focus some of their own developer videos had on economy it would be really strange to go the SC2013 route and just fudge the numbers.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Skyl3lazer posted:

That has to be a big, several of the pretelease videos from YouTubers was showing them doing exports and stuff

Sips streamed the game pre-release and spent 90 minutes trying everything he could to get goods to export by train. All that happened was trucks filled up his cargo station like a very expensive warehouse

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I don't see this being a last minute fix to some exploit when the game already gives you infinite money for no effort

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Tarnop posted:

Sips streamed the game pre-release and spent 90 minutes trying everything he could to get goods to export by train. All that happened was trucks filled up his cargo station like a very expensive warehouse

To be fair, sips takes 90 minutes to do anything

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Something thats not been reported, probably because it is a Swedish company, is that Paradox reported a result yesterday that was very much lower than what was anticipated. No big successful game releases was cited as one of the reasons. They also dropped Harebrained Schemes after a huge flop with their new game "The Lamplighters League" which was released October 3rd.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Cities Skylines 2: Teething Problems

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Avanya just posted on the forums in response to the thread about the economic situation:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...4/post-29216506

co_avanya posted:

Hi everyone. I just wanted to pop in and shed some light on this situation as resource management in Cities: Skylines II is, unfortunately, affected by a few bugs at the moment. We are aware of this and currently investigating these issues:

City services only trade with outside connections, even when storage companies in your city have the resources they need. They should of course be able to purchase the resources your city produces locally.
Harbors are mainly trading with your city’s storage companies, not other zoned buildings or city services. As you would expect, they should be able to trade with all zoned buildings and services, allowing your city to import and export through them.
We’re investigating reports that indicate the cargo terminal is affected by the same or an issue similar to the harbors.

It’s also worth noting that transportation distance affects costs. We expect that your businesses will prefer the closest storage facilities over a further away harbor/cargo terminal, however, that does not explain the reports we’re seeing.

I want to apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your reports. The information you provide us is very valuable in narrowing down these issues, and should you encounter any other issues or unexpected behavior, please make sure to report them on our support forum. Response times are a little slow at the moment, but we are working our way through all of your reports and greatly appreciate them and your patience. Thank you.

So hopefully these things can get ironed out in short order. I would guess the first point may also explain the incinerator bug? If they simply don't receive garbage from the city, then there's nothing for it to burn.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Oct 27, 2023

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Fragrag posted:

To be fair, sips takes 90 minutes to do anything

He does, but most of that 90 minutes is futzing with cargo train routes because the terminal has full warehouses, is receiving goods by import, but every train leaves the terminal empty. And since this is a known bug, it appears that the other streamers just assumed it was working because their cities didn't run out of money and the game doesn't alert you that your cargo terminals are full

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Trailer for the free Region Pack is out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFn1gm4iE1M

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

lagidnam posted:

Trailer for the free Region Pack is out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFn1gm4iE1M

Really hope the mod stuff comes soon

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Digital Jedi posted:

Yea something isn't working correct that is for sure.
When I set my landfill to transfer the garbage out, it only uses 1 of 20 trucks to do so.

My landfill looks great and wouldn't totally slide into the river

Your landfill already slid (and continues to be slid) into the river. This is just the inflatable decoy. Everything is an illusion, except teeth which are rendered to the micron.

Anias fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 27, 2023

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Ms Adequate posted:

Avanya just posted on the forums in response to the thread about the economic situation:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...4/post-29216506

So hopefully these things can get ironed out in short order. I would guess the first point may also explain the incinerator bug? If they simply don't receive garbage from the city, then there's nothing for it to burn.

I love that Redditors went straight to "ITS ALL SMOKE AND MIRRORS" lol Didn't even wait for anyone to answer if it was a bug or not

Kazzah posted:

Cities Skylines 2: Teething Problems

Also this is a good thread title lol

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Speaking as someone who works in manufacturing, a supplier shipping their materials halfway around the country to then ship it back to a factory half a block down the road at 3x the transport costs is 100% realistic and I applaud Paradox for their dedication to representing supply chains with a high degree of fidelity.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

the game really feels like a scandinavian fever dream about america between how the simulation works and the insanity of the base building models.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

CuddleCryptid posted:

Speaking as someone who works in manufacturing, a supplier shipping their materials halfway around the country to then ship it back to a factory half a block down the road at 3x the transport costs is 100% realistic and I applaud Paradox for their dedication to representing supply chains with a high degree of fidelity.

Hell, loading poo poo on your own large trucks to move it around to the other side of the facility on public roads rather than having to turn off some not-so-tiny legacy machine no one feels confident they can take apart and put back together is practically de rigeur in some sectors.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

the game really feels like a scandinavian fever dream about america between how the simulation works and the insanity of the base building models.

There's so much stuff about Skylines that is just weird and confusing instead of straightforwardly bad. I kind of enjoy it.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I just tried Victoria 3 for the first time this month and got very intimidated and quit based on how in depth the simulation is, but now I'm wishing that the Cities simulation could be denser than it is. Which is dumb because I clearly can't deal with the complexity of Victoria 3 but it's fun to look at and think about. I just love how granular the various constituencies are in Victoria 3, and I wish Cities had a sort of breathing community like that, not just abstract notions of demand. Like, an activist group that is pushing for more affordable housing, and a group of organized NIMBYs who have way more leverage and make your life hell if you don't capitulate to them. That sorta thing. Make it so complicated that it's no longer fun for me to play- that's my humble request.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 27, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Anias posted:

Hell, loading poo poo on your own large trucks to move it around to the other side of the facility on public roads rather than having to turn off some not-so-tiny legacy machine no one feels confident they can take apart and put back together is practically de rigeur in some sectors.

Bug report: Trucks will be confused by roads and will continually redirect back to their origin point, requiring several attempts to do a single delivery.

Me, nodding sagely: these developers are a master of their craft.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Bug report: Trucks will be confused by roads and will continually redirect back to their origin point, requiring several attempts to do a single delivery.

Me, nodding sagely: these developers are a master of their craft.

It is kinda funny seeing some of the complaints about the game.

People complaining that their city of 1000 people doesn't have traffic problems.

Finding it hard to not be losing money in the city, meanwhile every real world city issues tons of debt and is in a constant treadmill of growth.

Demand for single family homes always being too large.

etc.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Had a hearse go to a building to pick someone up and ended up planted vertically in the road, causing a huge traffic "incident" that cars couldn't figure out how to go around. Only solve it by demolishing the building with the dead person inside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Any word when the gamepass version is getting that update? :smith: