Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

We built a town, Lehr, for 4 CMBG

hth

Did they name it after the SS division?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

KomradeX posted:

Did they name it after the SS division?

from the earlier discussion...

the Panzer Lehr Division was not an SS division; "Lehr" means "teach", and the division was made up of Panzer training school trainees and their instructors

and the town being referred to was actually called "Lahr", so no relation

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/DD_Geopolitics/status/1717725105726566444

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

from the earlier discussion...

the Panzer Lehr Division was not an SS division; "Lehr" means "teach", and the division was made up of Panzer training school trainees and their instructors

and the town being referred to was actually called "Lahr", so no relation

Considering its Canada I'm surprised it wasn't named after a Nazi, something like Dirlewangerville seems appropriate

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

KomradeX posted:

Considering its Canada I'm surprised it wasn't named after a Nazi, something like Dirlewangerville seems appropriate

I mean we could all be forgiven for thinking it was something else at first blush

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

post your burgers itt

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I had another thought about a US-Iran war. The Iraqi army that invaded Iran was probably dramatically stronger at sustained conventional warfare than anything the US could cobble together. Their initial push seemed reasonably organized and they didn't lack for supplies. Their morale didn't crumble for quite a while. Considering it was on their own border they had no trouble getting 100k+ troops into combat. Despite some of the political turmoil Iran has had recently it isn't anything compared to how chaotic Iran was at the time still sorting out the revolution. Not to mention Iran is less diplomatically isolated now.

While the whole rotten structure of the Iranian government didn't collapse when the Iraqis kicked in the door (as they thought), I'm sure that will be exactly what happens with the US does it. No reason the US can't go to war/special military operation whenever the lich kings decide.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I don’t think there’s any meaningful faction that wants to actually invade iran. unfortunately there is a massive faction that does want to bomb them and thinks that will have no repercussions.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

"see it's ok that we attacked them because they're iran's proxies. it's not as though we're attacking iran itself, despite admitting knowing they are iranian proxies. we call these 'i am not touching you' defensive strikes."

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

wtf is a self-defense strike

sounds like bush-era "pre-emptive strike" nonsense

biceps crimes has issued a correction as of 05:30 on Oct 27, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

biceps crimes posted:

sounds like bush-era "pre-emptive stirke" nonsense

rules based international castle doctrine

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

biceps crimes posted:

sounds like bush-era "pre-emptive strike" nonsense

It's also called Sending A Message or just strengthening our posture. Not blowing up people in any way

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

rules based international castle doctrine

rules based international stand your ground law for white settlers

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

FuzzySlippers posted:

It's also called Sending A Message or just strengthening our posture. Not blowing up people in any way

When a Liberal reads these do they just imagine explosions in terra incognita, like blowing up an endless blank expanse?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

KomradeX posted:

When a Liberal reads these do they just imagine explosions in terra incognita, like blowing up an endless blank expanse?

no

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

KomradeX posted:

When a Liberal reads these do they … imagine

no

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Wanna know if the Chinese managed to make the gun even lighter.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Tempora Mutantur posted:

"see it's ok that we attacked them because they're iran's proxies. it's not as though we're attacking iran itself, despite admitting knowing they are iranian proxies. we call these 'i am not touching you' defensive strikes."

It's the ME version of "we will give you all the spare weapons we have but you are not allowed to use them to hit targets inside Russia proper. "

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Best Friends posted:

I don’t think there’s any meaningful faction that wants to actually invade iran. unfortunately there is a massive faction that does want to bomb them and thinks that will have no repercussions.

Our ruling classes are so stupid it's indistinguishable from insanity. Remember a couple years back when that tanker ship got hit by a torpedo, didn't kill anybody or sink the ship, somebody just shot it with a torpedo for some reason? And the single explanation given by the government and the media was that Iran did it because they're an evil country that does bad things for fun. No other reason, just because they're bad.

Like, if you aren't completely braindead it is extremely obvious that the reason Iran did it was to let everybody know that if they wanted to, they could easily prevent so much as a single drop of oil from leaving Saudi Arabia. They could shut down the global economy like flipping a light switch. For America to see Iran do that but still think loving with them is a good idea is insane.

Gripweed has issued a correction as of 14:48 on Oct 27, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The US was loving around with UAVs and Iranian tankers around the same time iirc, and I believe both the RN and USN had small boats wander into Iranian waters and get captured. I seem to recall the Royal Navy court marshalled the Midshipman or whoever in charge because she said the Iranians treated her well when the Brit tabloids asked if she had suffered Worse Than Death at the hands of the Mohammedans.

The female British tars also wore headscarves when they were released, which cased another scandal back in Blighty.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
You know whats my favorite Iran related thing is?

The US held like 2 billion of Iran money from when Trump backed out of the Iran nuclear deal. So the US doesn't want to give any of the money back, so a US court ruled they awarded the family of a missing CIA agent 1.4 billion dollars.

I have never heard of anyone getting awarded that much money for a missing person case. I wonder how much his wife donate the money back to the CIA family fund or whatever?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Robert_Levinson

Also the 5 people who got released by Iran after US allowed South Korea pay the 6 billion oil money back to Iran, 2 of them never had their identities released. I bet 1 dollar they are CIA spooks.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 15:00 on Oct 27, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

stephenthinkpad posted:

According to his family, he suffered from type 1 diabetes, gout, and hypertension.

Levinson's travel was planned by three CIA officials who did not follow the proper vetting process or seek the necessary approval for the mission from their supervisors. Kish Island in the Persian Gulf is a tourist destination, a stronghold of international organized crime, and a free-trade zone, meaning Americans do not need a visa to enter.

Levinson's source on Kish was Dawud Salahuddin, an American fugitive accused of the killing of the prominent former Iranian diplomat Ali Akbar Tabatabaei in 1980. The exiled Tabatabaei was holding meetings of a counter-revolutionary group at his US home at the time.

What Levinson wanted in that mission remains altogether unclear. Levinson had retired from the FBI in 1998 and had become self-employed as a private investigator; his specialty was Russian organized crime gangs, and he was even interviewed numerous times for television documentaries to discuss the topic. Both Levinson and the CIA analyst who hired him, Anne Jablonski, specialized in Russian organized crime and not Iranian issues.

This guy never had a chance.

Also, Kish, where he was on whatever bullshit Mickey Mouse CIA mission, is like Monaco, it's a resort island. What the gently caress?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Gripweed posted:

Our ruling classes are so stupid it's indistinguishable from insanity. Remember a couple years back when that tanker ship got hit by a torpedo, didn't kill anybody or sink the ship, somebody just shot it with a torpedo for some reason? And the single explanation given by the government and the media was that Iran did it because they're an evil country that does bad things for fun. No other reason, just because they're bad.

Like, if you aren't completely braindead it is extremely obvious that the reason Iran did it was to let everybody know that if they wanted to, they could easily prevent so much as a single drop of oil from leaving Saudi Arabia. They could shut down the global economy like flipping a light switch. For America to see Iran do that but still think loving with them is a good idea is insane.

The question has always been whether the ruling classes are truly that stupid or whether they have such contempt for us that the explanations and analysis they say to us are tailored for how stupid they believe us to be. This isn't even anything new, the entire point of unelected civil servants is to insulate the institutions from true believers of their own bullshit. It's even easy to point out which are which, like GWB explaining to us the Axis of Evil and telling us it's extremely orange when it comes to terror today versus, let's say, a Ron DeSantis who genuinely thinks school teachers have a quota for how many kids they need to turn trans.

I guess this is a lot of words to say that just because their spoken analysis is "Iran bad" doesn't mean that the actual state apparatus doesn't understand what's going on

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

ClassActionFursuit posted:

The question has always been whether the ruling classes are truly that stupid or whether they have such contempt for us that the explanations and analysis they say to us are tailored for how stupid they believe us to be. This isn't even anything new, the entire point of unelected civil servants is to insulate the institutions from true believers of their own bullshit. It's even easy to point out which are which, like GWB explaining to us the Axis of Evil and telling us it's extremely orange when it comes to terror today versus, let's say, a Ron DeSantis who genuinely thinks school teachers have a quota for how many kids they need to turn trans.

I guess this is a lot of words to say that just because their spoken analysis is "Iran bad" doesn't mean that the actual state apparatus doesn't understand what's going on

The RAND blog post about how actually the most accurate analogy for the Ukrainian Great Counteroffensive is Normandy while pro-RU was talking about Kursk '43 indicates that yeah they're actually that dumb.

Danann has issued a correction as of 03:21 on Oct 28, 2023

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Tempora Mutantur posted:

I once explained to someone that America is The Great Satan by using examples like Vietnam, Laos, DPRK and what the USA did there.

They responded by saying "oh but those were proxy wars."

As if that means it's okay you can just do what you want there, they're not real countries with real people. It's just proxy.

Proxy seems to act as a thought terminating cliché.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

ClassActionFursuit posted:

Yes but I think there is a slowly spreading effect of the stupidity in the ruling elites. Like how you go from the genuine evil of the Kissinger to the ignorance and incompetence of the Tony Blinken.

I am not sure if its spreading in the Pentagon. It's definitely spreading in the foreign affair area.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

“regional” war

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Danann posted:

The RAND blog post about how actually the most accurate analogy for the Ukrainian Great Counteroffensive is Normandy while pro-RU was talking about Kharkov '43 indicates that yeah they're actually that dumb.

Well yeah, I'll readily concede there's a lot of evidence they not only really believe what they're saying but are getting dumber at a faster rate than in the past.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

Yes but I think there is a slowly spreading effect of the stupidity in the ruling elites. Like how you go from the genuine evil of the Kissinger to the ignorance and incompetence of the Tony Blinken.

I am not sure if its spreading in the Pentagon. It's definitely spreading in the foreign affair area.

Kissinger was also pretty much a dumbass though

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

stephenthinkpad posted:

I keep seeing people say this, but it kinda feels like the leftie version of "good times create weak men, weak men create bad times" cliché.

Are the ruling class people really dumber than before? Or were they always like this and we're just seeing it clearly now that we see them talk unscripted and unfiltered more than ever before?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Votskomit posted:

I keep seeing people say this, but it kinda feels like the leftie version of "good times create weak men, weak men create bad times" cliché.

Are the ruling class people really dumber than before? Or were they always like this and we're just seeing it clearly now that we see them talk unscripted and unfiltered more than ever before?

i mean liberalism went from keynes to krugman and conservativism went from buckley to "the qanon shaman"

102723_2
Oct 27, 2023
the united states government has less than 65 days to pass 12 spending bills and the House has no legislative sessions scheduled for the foreseeable future, the Senate? Not until November 20th, for just 4 days.

https://www.house.gov/legislative-activity

https://www.senate.gov/legislative/2023_schedule.htm

In other words, the government is on vacation for the next 24 days

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Votskomit posted:

Are the ruling class people really dumber than before?

age-related cognitive decline is real, and strong, and my friend

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
America has spend the last 70 years ruining and murdering anyone who tries to make anything better. The national equivalent of sniffing glue to destroy brain cells.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i mean liberalism went from keynes to krugman and conservativism went from buckley to "the qanon shaman"

I don't think Tim Buckley was that influential amongst conservatives, but I see what you mean.

But that also seems kinda besides what I'm talking about here. There are many possibilities
- the ruling class followed the advice of experts then and now, but the experts are dumber now for some reason unrelated to ruling class dumbness.
- the ruling class determines who is known as an expert, and they're dumber now so they push dumber experts to the top.
- the ruling class were always dumb, the experts used to be able to have more control. Now the ruling class has more power to suppress competency.

Sorry for the weird aside, but I keep seeing people say this and it just strikes me as an unscientific trueism that no one seems to question.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

The gist of it is that the base, both the means of production and the material relations between the classes, was sold off in order to wage class warfare against the metropolitan working class since it seemed very safe to do so in light of the USSR's collapse and the PRC's impending and inevitable color revolution. Under the End of History, neoliberal political economic thought reproduced and expanded itself to its most logical endpoints throughout the superstructure (government, arts, business, etc.), even as material shortages such as bullet shortages during the War on Terror and PPE during the initial COVID waves manifested itself. It never seemed likely that conventional warfare, the ultimate test of state and industrial capability, was ever likely, and the neoliberal superstructure was able to defeat alternatives to it consistently.

The Ukraine-Russia war erupted when the US was so enmeshed in neoliberal thought that GDP from spreadsheet touching is equivalent, superior even, to GDP generated by an artillery shell factory. Hence, the constant denigration of the gas station with nukes only having GDP equal to some small European country.

So now that the dominoes have fallen, the US can only perceive and conceive neoliberal solutions to their problems and only the greatest of catastrophes will change it because of the neoliberal stranglehold on the superstructure.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

when the us loses ww3 will italy complete the hat trick of swapping sides and going blameless in all world wars?

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Real hurthling! posted:

when the us loses ww3 will italy complete the hat trick of swapping sides and going blameless in all world wars?

did italy even do anything when central powers-alligned?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Danann posted:

The gist of it is that the base, both the means of production and the material relations between the classes, was sold off in order to wage class warfare against the metropolitan working class since it seemed very safe to do so in light of the USSR's collapse and the PRC's impending and inevitable color revolution. Under the End of History, neoliberal political economic thought reproduced and expanded itself to its most logical endpoints throughout the superstructure (government, arts, business, etc.), even as material shortages such as bullet shortages during the War on Terror and PPE during the initial COVID waves manifested itself. It never seemed likely that conventional warfare, the ultimate test of state and industrial capability, was ever likely, and the neoliberal superstructure was able to defeat alternatives to it consistently.

The Ukraine-Russia war erupted when the US was so enmeshed in neoliberal thought that GDP from spreadsheet touching is equivalent, superior even, to GDP generated by an artillery shell factory. Hence, the constant denigration of the gas station with nukes only having GDP equal to some small European country.

So now that the dominoes have fallen, the US can only perceive and conceive neoliberal solutions to their problems and only the greatest of catastrophes will change it because of the neoliberal stranglehold on the superstructure.

that’s right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Megamissen posted:

did italy even do anything when central powers-alligned?

It failed to honour the Triple Alliance and then defected to the Entente.