Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

never subscribed faster to a thread in my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Julio Cruz posted:

is there a decent workaround to the Youtube adblocker ban?

I'm using Firefox with Ad-Block Plus (free version).

It got past Ad-Block Plus, so I installed Ghostery from the Firefox extensions page.

Just running that stops the ads playing, and the video starts after 5-10secs wait.

Running ABP as well as Ghostery gets rid of the ads completely.

edit - this is while logged in, and able to watch "adult" videos

Renfield fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 26, 2023

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

People are still using Chrome? Lmfao.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Chrome is poo poo but it's been laser targeted by Google to be the most responsive to youtube

and even then Firefox having the responsiveness of me after a Friday of drinking if you have more than 10 tabs open for a couple of hours doesn't help

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Julio Cruz posted:

I can watch in a private window, ublock origin on firefox.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I use chrome because I'm too lazy to switch but I swear to god if I ever have to see an ad I will crawl through vomit to install another browser

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/comfyincrocs/status/1717474584755147092

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Microplastics posted:

I use chrome because I'm too lazy to switch but I swear to god if I ever have to see an ad I will crawl through vomit to install another browser

I switched chrome to Firefox about 3 years ago and it’s a piece of piss. It transfers everything no problem - passwords , bookmarks, whatever

I use Firefox with ublock and privacy badger, plus a great little extension that automatically converts those lovely Google WebP picture to JPEGs. Never see an ad anywhere ever

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Oooh, what's the jpeg plug in?

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Julio Cruz posted:

I use the STNBeta app on my tv, I think I had to side load it rather than get it through the google play store. It’s great, no ads at all, and it has a sponsor block feature if that’s your thing too.

I created a separate google account for YouTube though, I didn’t want to sign into this app with the one linked to my proper gmail.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

This is objectively bad from a "innocent people being targeted for abuse" sense, but the moment the word "Zionist" is in a tweet, at least 75% of possible readers just assume the author is an antisemite

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Monica Bellucci posted:

Oooh, what's the jpeg plug in?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/save-webp-as-png-or-jpeg/

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Cheers.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

Ublock origin works. At the start of every browsing session, go to ublock settings, hit clear cache and then update to make sure all the block lists are fully up to date. Do it again if the anti adblock thing shows up again. Bit of a pain in the hole but it works.

On mobile, look into ReVanced.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Julio Cruz posted:

Ublock origin should be enough, disable any other privacy tools for youtube as it will detect them. If you get the message, go to ublock settings and clear cache and update. It should then continue to block the ads.

Dabir posted:

Is this good now? Seem to remember it being a ball ache to set up.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Is the anti ad blocker thing only being rolled out to some people so far? I haven't seen it at all yet so either my ad blocking setup Just Works or I'm a B in the A/B test.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
https://palestinecampaign.org/events/national-march-for-palestine-ceasefire-now/

London/Southerners: there's a march for palestine on Saturday starting at Temple station

28/10/2023
12:00 pm - 4:00 pm

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dabir posted:

On mobile, install CleanTube. It's taken over from Vanced in the field of loving off YT ads.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I use Newpipe for mobile, super easy to setup and use

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
It offered me a free trial of youtube premium so I'm just doing that for a month while I wait for the adblock war to shake out.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's how they get you, I have never subscribed to a service in my life and I will never, I will persevere out of spite. I have so far managed to not have a phone contract even.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I cancelled it five minutes later, you still get the month.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Piss , poo, wee and plop

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

keep punching joe posted:

Ublock origin should be enough, disable any other privacy tools for youtube as it will detect them. If you get the message, go to ublock settings and clear cache and update. It should then continue to block the ads.

Is this good now? Seem to remember it being a ball ache to set up.

It's a pretty simple process that their website just explained badly. Has the advantage over other things like NewPipe of having all of YT's features, but also it won't receive enshittification updates unless you go out of your way to repeat the install process on a more recent version of the app.

Jedit posted:

On mobile, install CleanTube. It's taken over from Vanced in the field of loving off YT ads.

Yeah?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

uBlock Origin seems to work fine for me, at least for now, but YMMV.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Adblock works just fine still, will just run a black screen for 5 or so seconds as it clears the ads before playing youtube vids.

Also gently caress youtube.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/oct/26/liz-truss-wanted-to-bring-stranded-tamil-asylum-seekers-to-uk-documents-show

When Liz Truss was Foreign Secretary (she was? God, forgot all about that) she tried to argue for granting asylum to Tanil refugees from Sri Lanka who'd ended up on Diego Garcia.

This shouldn't be wild but in the context of everything it kind of is. Of course ⅔ of them are still on the island awaiting a hearing so it didn't help but still surprising

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/castlvillageman/status/1717580379236810965

e: Also it appears Arizona has caught Brexit too, according to this very clever lady

https://twitter.com/implausibleblog/status/1717646632592847197

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 27, 2023

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lolling at just imagining her walking around downtown Phoenix. I bet they loved her and her forthright British opinions

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I love watching BBCQT snippets. There's no way I could watch an actual episode, but these snapshots of British cunts are just incredible
https://twitter.com/pearceyp78/status/1717640744930791524

Oct 4, 2005

fuctifino posted:

I love watching BBCQT snippets. There's no way I could watch an actual episode, but these snapshots of British cunts are just incredible

Never says why, does he? I imagine if he gave his reasons the audience wouldn't be clapping.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

fuctifino posted:

I like that he says he will never vote Tory again, but then says that they should be the opposition for “a few years”

What, one parliaments term in opposition, then I t’s back to voting Tory?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Pee and poop update:

Unprecedented diarrheal outbreak erupts in UK as cases spike 3x above usual

quote:

The United Kingdom is experiencing a dramatic outbreak—unprecedented in scale and magnitude—of diarrheal illnesses from the intestinal parasite, Cryptosporidium, aka Crypto.

According to a rapid communication published Thursday in the journal Eurosurveillance, UK health officials report that Crypto cases have exceeded the upper bounds of expected cases since mid-September, and an October peak saw cases roughly threefold above what is usual for this time of year. The outbreak is still ongoing.
Laboratory notifications of Cryptosporidium species in England, Wales, and Northern Ireland, by week of specimen, 2023.
Enlarge / Laboratory notifications of Cryptosporidium species in England, Wales, and Northern Ireland, by week of specimen, 2023.
Eurosurveillance | Peake et al.

So far, it's unclear what's driving the extraordinary burst in cases. The outbreak has splattered into almost every region of all four UK nations. "Given the scale and geographical spread of the [case] exceedance across regions and nations of the UK, a single local exposure is an unlikely cause," the authors, led by officials at the United Kingdom Health Security Agency in London, wrote in the rapid report.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
There will be adequate bumwater

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I'm sure all the raw poo poo in Brittun isn't seeping into the archaic network and freshwater supply to forcibly evacuate everyone's guts
It's clearly the Spanish seawater some 500nm away doing it

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Diet Crack posted:

I'm sure all the raw poo poo in Brittun isn't seeping into the archaic network and freshwater supply to forcibly evacuate everyone's guts
It's clearly the Spanish seawater some 500nm away doing it

Tbf if Spain is only 500nanometres away you might be justified asking them to back up a bit

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Nuclear Spoon posted:

https://palestinecampaign.org/events/national-march-for-palestine-ceasefire-now/

London/Southerners: there's a march for palestine on Saturday starting at Temple station

28/10/2023
12:00 pm - 4:00 pm

Will be there. This'll be the third time and I expect just as much support, if not more.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Scientastic posted:

I like that he says he will never vote Tory again, but then says that they should be the opposition for “a few years”

What, one parliaments term in opposition, then I t’s back to voting Tory?

Never? Again, voting Tory!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CleanTube using ads is news to me. I fired it up just now and there wasn't an ad to be seen, not even a banner ad. I knew it stopped buffering if you turn your screen off, but it keeps it on by default so you need to do that manually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

keep punching joe posted:

Pee and poop update:

Unprecedented diarrheal outbreak erupts in UK as cases spike 3x above usual

far, it's unclear what's driving the extraordinary burst in cases. The outbreak has splattered into almost every region of all four UK nations. "Given the scale and geographical

Lovely choice of word.