Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Pyf thing dragging (most) games down: dog /wolf enemies always suck to fight as do ghosts.

This post made me see the wolf savaging my upraised arm as I'm on my back and the QTE to get the wolf off me comes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Read After Burning posted:

What's the deadliest wolf in games?

D Dog :colbert:

Or the Pomeranian you start as in Tokyo Jungle.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Why the gently caress haven't they re-released Tokyo Jungle

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Mario Wonder is great but aside from the elephant I'm not really feeling the new powerups this time around.

The bubble power is kind of ehhh and the drill just isn't doing much for me.

The surprise Mr. Driller segment was kind of fun though.

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

SkeletonHero posted:

This times X10000.

What a loving crazy game and absolutely due for a remaster.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Not a fan of Fatal Frame, I see? :haw:

Several games have had big ol' predators be an instant-death button: bears in Red Dead, eagles in one of the Far Crys, cougars in GTAV. What's the deadliest wolf in games?

Sniper Wolf

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

SkeletonHero posted:

They want you to sub to the top tier ps+ OP

Edit: I think this lets you play blood borne on PC too

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Catzilla posted:

Sniper Wolf

Nightwolf

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

What's the deadliest wolf in games?

It's this one, OP. Sekiro rules.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Fifty Farts posted:

It's this one, OP. Sekiro rules.

I haven't played it myself, but I watched my partner put some time into it and I literally screamed when the giant snake popped out.

:owned:

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

I haven't played it myself, but I watched my partner put some time into it and I literally screamed when the giant snake popped out.

:owned:

lol, I hated that thing. There's a second one later on but it's a lot easier to deal with (or maybe the one that's easy to deal with is the first one and it shows up later; it's hard to tell them apart).

Sekiro was the first From Software game I really got into since the King's Fields back in the day, and it took a little while for everything to "click" but when it finally did (at Lady Butterfly), I fell in love with it. The music for that particular fight was really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4azCgSeQVc
(this is just the music, no game footage)

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 00:07 on Oct 27, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

muscles like this! posted:

I know I complained about it before but Lies of P's way of putting little obstacles to block off areas is completely ridiculous. Late in the game you return to the starting area but it has changed and it blocks off a couple of older paths with piles of luggage. Pretty sure the guy who regularly rips the doors off of safes could move like three suitcases.

A lot of games do this with artificial barriers where you can't navigate through a row of hedges or jump over a picnic table and poo poo like that. Even though you've spent the whole game smashing concrete walls, platforming over vast chasms and crushing large barrels and crates for loot, suddenly there's a small box in your way or a slight incline in the terrain. And it's always weird.

Wanna go over there? Nope. See this two foot tall bush right here? This bush is a Bush of Path Blocking so gently caress you.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

My favorite is in Resident Evil 2 Remake, where you have to line up some library bookshelves to walk on top of. But lining then up isn't enough, you have to set them in place because one of them being tilted up two inches is too much to contend with :effort:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Pyf thing dragging (most) games down: dog /wolf enemies always suck to fight as do ghosts.

This goes double for any game that has you fight a giant dog and or cat in a huge open arena where like 70% of its moveset is "run away, do a pounce attack, repeat." They always suck, without fail.

SkeletonHero posted:

Because sony, specifically, hates me and wants to make me sad. I loved that game and would kill for it on like, a real platform like PC.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
A question that's struck me, and I want to hear what comes to mind for anyone else:

What are games with bad approaches to 'lore'?

I don't just mean games where the lore is detrimental or bad (although yes, also those), I mean games where even just how they present their lore and expect you to interact with and digest it is bad and makes the whole experience worse.

To me, the obvious 'bad lore' example is Mass Effect's codex (or really, any game that takes the 'in-game encyclopedia' approach). In theory the concept of having an in-game glossary of terms is a good idea, since they can just have the story go along at its own pace without stopping to explain the sideline stuff that's worth knowing but would grind things to a halt to actually explain, but what it really turns into is a bunch of stuff that should be in-universe common knowledge just explained off in some dry encyclopedia with no strong reasons for you to care rather than presented in a way that's... you know, interesting and memorable.

And all that's sort of the benign version of the worse form, which is the datalog of Final Fantasy XIII and its related games. At least Mass Effect uses the datalog to explain things that ultimately aren't important and it doesn't really expect you to know; FFXIII has parts that literally don't even make sense without reading the datalog.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 11:46 on Oct 27, 2023

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cleretic posted:

I don't just mean games where the lore is detrimental or bad (although yes, also those), I mean games where even just how they present their lore and expect you to interact with and digest it is bad and makes the whole experience worse.
:darksouls:

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Cleretic posted:

A question that's struck me, and I want to hear what comes to mind for anyone else:

What are games with bad approaches to 'lore'?

Games that infodump lore at you in audio form in the middle of high-octane gameplay. I'm not gonna be able to focus on that. Borderlands has this problem occasionally.
Audio logs without transcripts in general. I'd like to get the information, but having to spend actual real-time minutes do so makes that tricky.

EDIT:
On the other hand, later Borderlands games also have the problem of slowing the gameplay down to a crawl or a complete stop whenever it's time for a big infodump, which is awful for games that are intended to be replayed multiple times with different characters, builds and difficulty levels.

Suleman has a new favorite as of 11:58 on Oct 27, 2023

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I would say that the Dark Souls lore is classically bad because none of it is available unless you go into item descriptions.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Eh, Dark Souls lore is fine. Cutscenes are short, item descriptions are short, and most of all, it doesn't matter. Just go kill the big nasty thing at the end of each zone if you want.

I really hate when games lore-dump with long dialog about poo poo characters should know or 30 page text files scattered about.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I mean the worst lore is just whatever you hate the most. Like me, I couldn't get into Warframe at the end of the day. Maybe I did 20 hours, maybe it was only 10. Either way, I was just running the same missions over and over again not making much progress and with 0 context of what any of this killing was in service off.

It's either that or the idea of Destiny I have in my head where they took out events and missions after a point.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

kazil posted:

Eh, Dark Souls lore is fine. Cutscenes are short, item descriptions are short, and most of all, it doesn't matter. Just go kill the big nasty thing at the end of each zone if you want.

I really hate when games lore-dump with long dialog about poo poo characters should know or 30 page text files scattered about.

Yeah, I kinda think the way that Dark Souls does lore works because you don't have to care. It provides context and new perspectives on the story as it's been going, but you don't need to read any of that to have a story that generally works form beginning-to-end. Dark Souls' story without going hard on the lore is pretty threadbare and almost classical fantasy, but it still holds together as a story.

I can't say the same for, say, Elden Ring.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Destiny is probably the best example of a bad way to do lore where the only way to get it was an app outside of the game.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

I like Balan Wonderworld having most of its lore in the tie-in novella

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I don't know if Xenogears' "The main characters sit in a chair and tell you what happens while you see beta screenshots with the occasional bit of gameplay" disc 2 is the worst lore dump in history or the greatest.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
MGSV (and Peace Walker to a lesser extent) has to be up there, right? So many of those tapes were painfully dull.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
The worst part about a Xenogears lore dump is that it's full of... very!! (!) strange... choices?! for?! punctuation! ...?? that often make little or no sense!?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Killzome has a bunch of pretty important lore for context that was only available on a website that has since gone inactive. it has been screenshotted... but still.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Sally posted:

Killzome has a bunch of pretty important lore for context that was only available on a website that has since gone inactive. it has been screenshotted... but still.

Playing Killzone: hell yeah take down these bad guys! Look how they're dressed, we're the good guys!

Reading Killzone lore: Oh, it's us! We're the shitheads, oops!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hedgehog Pie posted:

MGSV (and Peace Walker to a lesser extent) has to be up there, right? So many of those tapes were painfully dull.

But just imagine if you had to sit through them in cutscene form. The games were actually doing you a favor, if you think about it!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Dunno about Peace Walker, but I think they work in MGSV, where a majority of your gametime is spent walking around the environment anyway. I think Death Stranding could've used something similar.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Randalor posted:

I know it's technically nit a "score" system, but wasn't that also an issue with the older Fire Emblem games, where the most optimal way to play was to wait around on maps to make sure that you were able to farm as many enemy reinforcements a possible for exp, despite how counter-intuitive that was on the face of it?

This is from decades back but I think I remember the first Homeworld doing something similar; in the campaign every mission started you with the resources you had a the end of the previous mission so the optimal way to play was to spend 10 minutes at the end of every mission to scavenge every bit of resources before continuing to the next one.

Also maybe the levels ended automatically when you completed the last objective so you had to do that while keeping a single enemy alive? I honestly don't remember.

I think I remember the sequel automatically giving you all the resources available on the map when the mission was over, but that was kinda countered by the fact that missions' difficulty was scaled to the units you brought in from the last mission so, again, the optimal way to play was to destroy and salvage your own units at the end of every mission so the next one would be easier.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

Destiny is probably the best example of a bad way to do lore where the only way to get it was an app outside of the game.

I had to look up a six hour video on YouTube to have any clue of wtf was going on. Cool story told in an awful manner, so rhat the end result still ends up being a good contender for the title of worst lore.

The opposite is fun, too: which game had the most unexpected best lore? For me, the answer would have to be Starsiege. It's a great little mech game from the 90s, which starts off as Total Recall before taking a hard turn into Terminator territory. Imagine if the setting of The Expanse gets invaded by Skynet, and you're pretty close.

The evil AI in this case is called Prometheus, and it has some cool designs for its killer robots. But it is in little written news bulletins in-between missions where Prometheus really shines. As the game progresses, you get to read how everyone in the solar system is freaking out, from the subterannean colonies on Venus to the royal palaces of earth. And then you get to see all those channels go dead, one by one, as Prometheus advances.

It's in the last transmission from those doomed areas where the writing really shines. Prometheus hates humanity and 'gets' our psychology with all the precision and effectiveness of a hammer. When it reaches Earth, witnesses describe giant murder machines covered in screaming and mangled humans that are hooked into a sound amplification system.

You don't get to see this in game, but the writing does enough heavy lifting to make sure that I'll never forget the mental image.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Hell yeah

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

One of the stupidest thing is that quite substantial story events take place in purely seasonal content. Not in the story missions you buy in the expansions and can do whenever, but in the smaller running missions that are literally only available for a few months at a time and are then gone forever. I picked it back up at one point to notice that the big scary villain you defeated in one of the expansions turned out to be alive, free, and running around causing mischief. Want to find out how that happened? Too bad, look it up on youtube I guess.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

CordlessPen posted:

This is from decades back but I think I remember the first Homeworld doing something similar; in the campaign every mission started you with the resources you had a the end of the previous mission so the optimal way to play was to spend 10 minutes at the end of every mission to scavenge every bit of resources before continuing to the next one.

Also maybe the levels ended automatically when you completed the last objective so you had to do that while keeping a single enemy alive? I honestly don't remember.

I think I remember the sequel automatically giving you all the resources available on the map when the mission was over, but that was kinda countered by the fact that missions' difficulty was scaled to the units you brought in from the last mission so, again, the optimal way to play was to destroy and salvage your own units at the end of every mission so the next one would be easier.
The original HW missions ended when you decided to warp out, so you could collect all resources and rebuild/reshuffle your fleet before the next mission. I think Cataclysm also worked like that. By HW2 it automatically collected all resources once the final mission objectives were complete, but it also had a broken auto-scaling function that took your resources and your current fleet worth into account for how hard the next mission was going to be, so that could seriously gently caress you up. But it was also exploitable because resources were worth less in "difficulty" than raw resources, I think (so the ideal way was something like carefully avoiding to hit the final mission trigger and scrapping your entire fleet). No idea if the HW remake used the HW2 mechanics but since it used them for everything else, I guess so?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

A Worrying Warlock posted:

I had to look up a six hour video on YouTube to have any clue of wtf was going on. Cool story told in an awful manner, so rhat the end result still ends up being a good contender for the title of worst lore.

The opposite is fun, too: which game had the most unexpected best lore? For me, the answer would have to be Starsiege. It's a great little mech game from the 90s, which starts off as Total Recall before taking a hard turn into Terminator territory. Imagine if the setting of The Expanse gets invaded by Skynet, and you're pretty close.

The evil AI in this case is called Prometheus, and it has some cool designs for its killer robots. But it is in little written news bulletins in-between missions where Prometheus really shines. As the game progresses, you get to read how everyone in the solar system is freaking out, from the subterannean colonies on Venus to the royal palaces of earth. And then you get to see all those channels go dead, one by one, as Prometheus advances.

It's in the last transmission from those doomed areas where the writing really shines. Prometheus hates humanity and 'gets' our psychology with all the precision and effectiveness of a hammer. When it reaches Earth, witnesses describe giant murder machines covered in screaming and mangled humans that are hooked into a sound amplification system.

You don't get to see this in game, but the writing does enough heavy lifting to make sure that I'll never forget the mental image.

Man now I want to play Starsiege again, fuckin loved that game as a kid. Peak 90s intro, that fits what you were talking about too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daCE2PmtCFc

Down came the glitches, and burned us in ditches, and we slept after eating our dead

Arrath has a new favorite as of 18:16 on Oct 27, 2023

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I think Dark Souls technically still qualifies due to it featuring one of my pet peeves: An opening cutscene that just blasts you with Proper Nouns.

But I guess that still falls under the umbrella of "but you don't really need to care or remember any of it". Not sure if it's actually better or worse than "you better loving remember this" though.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The intro to Dark Souls is basically just a hit list of dudes you need to kill. Same with DS3 and Elden Ring.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I honestly think Dark Souls has a straightforward story that doesn't require you to know the lore the first time through. There are characters on the critical path who tell you exactly who you are, why you can respawn, and what your mission is. And then Dark Souls 2 and onward immediately gave up on that in favor of ambiguous dialogue like 'you will face hardships and Seek Seek Lest'! Whoops

edit: It's been a decade and I still don't know anything about what the Throne of Want is even intended to do or where it came from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Dark Souls 2 tells you that you can go to Drangleic to solve your undead problem, but that you'll forget to do so before you do. Something that happens to most players.