Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
I made it 90 minutes into Dead Reckoning, which had a lot of dumb scenes, a central scene that went on way too loving long and gave up during the bridge fight which is one of the dumbest loving things I have ever seen. Stop at Fallout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Nah it's good. Fallout is better, but still I saw MI:DR(pt1?) on a big screen and I was hooting and hollering throughout because of the magic of cinema

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Tom Cruise has
+resurrected the theater-going experience after COVID with Top Gun: Maverick
+Put out that PSA with McQuarry on fixing motion smoothing on your home TVs

The man is GOATed and I will see anything he’s in now.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Chairman Capone posted:

It is kind of remarkable how little of a spark Craig and Lea Seydoux had in the last two movies, especially for someone who’s supposed to be his main love interest. Him telling her that he loves her as he’s tortured in Spectre is so unearned it might be the low point of an already bad movie.

It kinda worked in no time to die for me. I don’t know exactly why because I thought everything including their relationship in spectre was major poo poo

Maybe it’s because they stuck with it and just pushed onward which I appreciated.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Dead Reckoning, like Killers of the Flower Moon, is an extremely okay but waaaaay too long film best consumed piece by piece at home on streaming.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

DR1 also doesn't have an ending so just wait for the next one to come out before bothering to watch it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Dead Reckoning, like Killers of the Flower Moon, is an extremely okay but waaaaay too long film best consumed piece by piece at home on streaming.

After Elora from Rez Dogs said it was exploiting Native American women deaths with no worthwhile artistic motivation, I don't think I'm ever going to see that movie

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I suppose you’re going to ignore all the Osage people who guided the film’s production and approved of the final product, then.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I don't think that's ignoring them, they're not like a magic bulletproof coat. I've heard similar complaints from native American friends (ultimately it is more focused on the "wolves") and I get it, but really the most damning critiques are that it's just way too long and just kind of okay.
Someone needs to stop Scorsese before he hits the Barnes & Noble shelves again to make an okay 10 hour Leo film.

The best Scorsese film of the 21st century was Silence imo, despite Andrew Garfield and Adam Driver doing Mario and Luigi voices (makes me wonder how Ferrari is going to go).
The best Scorsese-Leo film was actually directed by Inarritu. gently caress the stupid memes about that bear it was great.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 26, 2023

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

High Warlord Zog posted:

That angle feels like a byproduct of of the couch jump incident. Like at some point a focus group after that said we no longer want to see Cruise as a romantic hero and because of the one two punch of Edge of Tomorrow and MI4 were so well recieved we now have weirdly asexual Ethan Hunt from hereon out. The Craig James Bond movies wish they had the kind of chemistry Cruise and Fergurson have for Craig any of the post Eva Green love interests.

Hunt has a few women friends who he likes to spend time with, staring deeply into their eyes in picturesque locales, and then, scene transition.

He definitely gets head in MI1 and fucks in MI2 tho

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I honestly have little interest in watching slowly sagging Tom cruise have sex with a woman way younger than him lol

He just needs to do stunts imO

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Absolutely and I think he understands that. His strange stumpy body and square torso should only be used for acts of danger, not romance.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

The best Scorsese film of the 21st century was Silence imo, despite Andrew Garfield and Adam Driver doing Mario and Luigi voices (makes me wonder how Ferrari is going to go).

:agreed:

quote:

The best Scorsese-Leo film was actually directed by Inarritu. gently caress the stupid memes about that bear it was great.

woah there pardner. it's good, great even, but not any better than wolf of wall street

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I feel like I get lower on wolf the more time passes but that's fair, at least you're a bear mauling leo and evil incomprehensible tom hardy enjoyer

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hunt has a wife who he will not cheat on even if she thinks he's dead and has already moved on!!!

Actually I can't remember where that whole thing ended precisely, but I do get the vibe that Hunt is the sort of ultra-principled guy who would consider any romantic entanglement as cheating. A celibate widower kinda vibe. That's my read on why he just has vague unrequited chemistry with Ferguson.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Punkin Spunkin posted:

A YouTuber I follow saw Ferrari at a British film festival and they said Driver's accent was fine but others were not great. Shailene Woodley especially apparently wanders in and out of accent quite a bit. The reviewer also just straight up didn't like the movie citing a bunch of technical choices Mann made as not working for them.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
That's too bad. I'm just happy Ridley Scott and Michael Mann are making movies tho, pretty sure both of them are older than the president :gibs:

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

feedmyleg posted:

Hunt has a wife who he will not cheat on even if she thinks he's dead and has already moved on!!!

Somebody needs to rewatch Fallout

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

She's moved on, but still is obviously very fond of him. She's got a new man - with a real job, a normal body and much less dangerous lifestyle.

I'd probably shy away from anything spy related after that freak Owen Davian showed up.

Hunt's obsession with no one dying is very funny in light of the bodycounts in MI2/3 and what's revealed in Ghost Protocol.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

well why not posted:

Hunt's obsession with no one dying is very funny in light of the bodycounts in MI2/3 and what's revealed in Ghost Protocol.

It took me until this post to wonder why they had to invent a random backstory in Dead Reckoning when his entire team dies in MI1.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

well why not posted:

He definitely gets head in MI1 and fucks in MI2 tho

When does that happen in MI1??

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

It turns out Beasts just aren't that fantastic when written by a bigot

quote:

Director David Yates gave an update about the beleaguered franchise, which halted after three of its five planned films were released.

“With Beasts for a minute, it’s all just parked,” Yates told the Inside Total Film podcast. “We got to the end of [the third film, 2020’s Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore] and we’re all so proud of that movie, and when it went out into the world, we just needed to sort of stop and pause, and take it easy.”

Yates claimed the entire idea of a five-film franchise wasn’t the studio’s at all. It was initially planned as three films, and he suggested the saga’s author and Beasts trilogy screenwriter J.K. Rowling made the announcement of a five-film plan without much of the creative team knowing ahead of time during a media event for the first film, 2016’s Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

“The idea that there were going to be five films was a total surprise to most of us,” Yates said. “[Rowling] just mentioned it spontaneously, at a press screening once. We were presenting some clips of FB1. We’d all signed up for FB1, very enthusiastically. And Jo, bless her, came on … and said, ‘Oh, by the way, there’s five of them.’ We all looked at each other — because no one had told us there were going to be five. We’d committed to this one. So that was the first we’d heard of it.”

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/fantastic-beasts-franchise-sequel-next-movie-1235628926/

Also lol at the "It was totally supposed to be three films only, honest!"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DarkSol posted:

When does that happen in MI1??

Claire seduces him in the London apartment after he gets back from seeing Phelps. It's not explicitly on screen, but it is in the script and Phelps mentions it in the baggage car.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Cruise and JK Rowling: Trash Page

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Curious Critters and the Cabinets in Which You Catch Them

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Shageletic posted:

I'm 2 Mission Impossibles behind. Haven't really heard good things about Dead Reckoning. What do people here think of it? I def wanna get around to watching Fallout based on positive reviews.

The story just sucks. There are the usual great action sequences (the train sequence at the end is one of the best of the entire franchise imho) but the villain is terrible, the movie makes up an entirely new origin story for how Hunt came to join the IMF for basically no reason, and it is also a story broken into two films so you get to the end and...there is no end.

I went in wanting to love it but, it just isn't very good.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
There's some groan-worthy MCU-inspired humor in here too, which was strange.

I did get a laugh at that Kittredge intro "who /what/where/when/why" scene though.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
There's also multiple rounds...

...where one person hands off...

...the exposition...

...to another person...

...who then...

...hands it...

...off again...

...to another person, who...

...then hands it off to another person, n times.

And then Ving just closes his laptop and fucks off cos they didn't write anything for him.

Although I did appreciate the one actual extended joke in the movie (pretty much all the business with the yellow Fiat), and the disclaimer that they definitely did not destroy the Spanish Steps, just in case you thought movies were real life and you ducked when the steam train came at you. And Hayley Atwell is a special effect all by herself.

Be interesting to see how they wrangle the existing movie title and what they name the next one after it all gets retooled.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Mission Impossible 8: Ilsa Was Then Trasferred to a Better Hospital Where Doctors Upgraded Her Condition to Alive Reckoning

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Carpet posted:

Mission Impossible 8: Ilsa Was Then Trasferred to a Better Hospital Where Doctors Upgraded Her Condition to Alive Reckoning

Yeah, couldn't be more signposted

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I hate the way they handled offing Ilsa, but pulling an "lol jk" in the next movie would be obnoxious as all hell.

Edit: Kittridge pulls off a mask and it's Jon Voight because why the hell not.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

fishing with the fam posted:

I hate the way they handled offing Ilsa, but pulling an "lol jk" in the next movie would be obnoxious as all hell.

I'm sorry to inform you but they are absolutely definitely going to do that.

I also would not put this past them.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Because why use a toxic actor like Voight when you can just as well use a heavily scarred Jean Reno

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Emilio Estevez walks out. "Why didn't you check the elevator?!?"

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Anthony Edwards joins the MI team by doing the high/low five with Ma-, Ethan.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Pirate Jet posted:

I suppose you’re going to ignore all the Osage people who guided the film’s production and approved of the final product, then.

I read the book this week in anticipation of seeing the movie and I'm really interested to see how the movie renders the narrative because it isn't really a story you can adapt beat by beat; this isn't a situation like "No Country For Old Men", it's a wandering non fiction examination of a historic event, and if you composed the film in a way that aligned with the book it'd be a documentary.

Also lol I just read on wikipedia that the author's mom was once the CEO of Penguin publishing.That fits since really the books is OK but the actual writing, the prose, isn't anything memorable. I did notice he didn't even think up the title, it's from a contemporaneous Osage poem written about the killings.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I have no dog in this race but why would the prose in a book be a problem in a movie adaptation? They are totally different media. Just look how well Harry Potter is doing.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
tom cruise died during a stunt for dead reckoning 2 aka all you need is die

he was shot by a stuntman who was put out of work and lost his savings to scientology

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alan Smithee posted:

tom cruise died during a stunt for dead reckoning 2 aka all you need is die

he was shot by a stuntman who was put out of work and lost his savings to scientology

I thought they killed off Alec Baldwin in fallout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Jack B Nimble posted:

I read the book this week in anticipation of seeing the movie and I'm really interested to see how the movie renders the narrative because it isn't really a story you can adapt beat by beat; this isn't a situation like "No Country For Old Men", it's a wandering non fiction examination of a historic event, and if you composed the film in a way that aligned with the book it'd be a documentary.

Also lol I just read on wikipedia that the author's mom was once the CEO of Penguin publishing.That fits since really the books is OK but the actual writing, the prose, isn't anything memorable. I did notice he didn't even think up the title, it's from a contemporaneous Osage poem written about the killings.

The movie adaptation is about the same historical events, but otherwise will not follow the narrative of the book which was much more of a who-dunit vs. the very clear narrative based around the involved characters in the film version. That being said, there is mixed acceptance of this film amongst Native people, with a lot of good opinions on both sides, but this movie is by no means something that was made without the involvement of lots of Native consultants, artists, etc. This BBC article kind of goes into it (https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20231025-killers-of-the-flower-moon-does-it-do-right-by-native-americans) with the general conclusion being that it's a good step forward in Native inclusion in mainstream Hollywood even though it's far from perfect.