Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Bel Shazar posted:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/lie_like_a_dog

I can say that the phrase predates Trump being popular. I can't say how old it is, but it's older than me.

is "choking like a dog" also an old phrase?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

no he's a weirdo

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Man, I can just see how that worked out.

Mom or Dad used to always say "lie like a dog", but I never learned that Lying is bad, so it must be the dog bit. I'll just say "like a dog" from now on to show that things are bad.

Cease to Hope posted:

no he's a weirdo

Yeah, this.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
"lie like a dog" and "die like a dog" are both common-ish phrases in the million years he's been alive and they both mean "[verb] in a pathetic and miserable way" so he generalized it even though the expressions are otherwise unrelated. :ms:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Kathy Hochul's social media team has been on a roll the past month.

it does say a lot that you think a stale catchphrase and a link to a news story is good posting

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Cease to Hope posted:

it does say a lot that you think a stale catchphrase and a link to a news story is good posting

Its not the quality but the quantity of posts that matters.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Cease to Hope posted:

Did you see the clownin' on David Brooks one? That was p. good.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Cease to Hope posted:

ooh, this is a pitch, big bang theory, but for current events. we'll make millions on woke sheldon

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Furnaceface posted:

Its not the quality but the quantity of posts that matters.

there was a period where i was unemployed and became the most prolific poster in the subforum years ago, so i stand by this metric

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

there was a period where i was unemployed and became the most prolific poster in the subforum years ago, so i stand by this metric
my posting career has advanced greatly since being laid off, highly recommend

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I have a theory that I was the only person to actually see Entrapment in the theater and it may have been a dream that everyone else just remembers from the 3-second clip of Catherine Zeta-Jones going through the laser grid in the trailer.

That clip is literally almost the entire scene in the movie.

Also, there was supposed to be a love connection between a 29-year old Catherine Zeta-Jones and a 69-year old Sean Connery in the movie. It was weird.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

RIP to the handsomest G8 world leader.

https://twitter.com/CanadianPolling/status/1717636344761995553

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

:rip: to the first black leader of Canada

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I know I'm old and out of touch, but I don't get how someone can make $19 million dollars in income per year via streaming video games (?) online and selling vaginal yeast beer to people. Doesn't Twitch take half of what you make as well? So, her actual donations or subscriptions or whatever from Twitch are actually about 2x her income from Twitch?

I don't understand how a girl playing video games or whatever is enough for people to throw thousands of dollars a year at them. To be honest, I don't really understand how these people like Mr. Beast or other people end up with tens of millions of dollars per year from Youtube or streaming. Seems wild that people are giving that much out.

https://twitter.com/MoistCr1TiKaL/status/1717650478564073561

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 27, 2023

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

I know I'm old and out of touch, but I don't get how someone can make $19 million dollars in income per year via streaming video games (?) online and selling vaginal yeast beer to people. Doesn't Twitch take half of what you make as well? So, her actual donations or subscriptions or whatever from Twitch are actually about 2x her income from Twitch?

I don't understand how a girl playing video games or whatever is enough for people to throw thousands of dollars a year at them. To be honest, I don't really understand how these people like Mr. Beast or other people end up with tens of millions of dollars per year from Youtube or streaming. Seems wild that people are giving that much out.

I believe she is also the largest "creator" on onlyfans, which is a contributing factor

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Dubar posted:

I believe she is also the largest "creator" on onlyfans, which is a contributing factor

lmao. That makes more sense.

Didn't she initially get rich because of streaming and being the most popular Twitch streamer or something? Still not clear why a company wants to makes beer out of her yeast, why people would buy it, or why she was making so much money streaming.

People getting rich off of Twitch is wild since they take 50% off the top before taxes. That means people making $4 million off of Twitch were getting $8 million in donations per year. It's mindboggling. I can see supporting artists and content you like, but that amount of money on Twitch is beyond me.

https://www.businessofapps.com/affi...%20per%20month.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

lmao. That makes more sense.

Didn't she initially get rich because of streaming and being the most popular Twitch streamer or something? Still not clear why a company wants to makes beer out of her yeast, why people would buy it, or why she was making so much money streaming.

People getting rich off of Twitch is wild since they take 50% off the top before taxes. That means people making $4 million off of Twitch were getting $8 million in donations per year. It's mindboggling. I can see supporting artists and content you like, but that amount of money on Twitch is beyond me.

https://www.businessofapps.com/affi...%20per%20month.

Twitch doesn't get a cut of donations, just subscriptions and ad revenue. Donations are usually done through a third party "storefront" and are essentially a PayPal transaction. Another large source of income for larger streamers is sponsorships - not just brand partners (those can be lucrative too) but game companies will pay a streamer thousands of dollars per hour to pay their game, and depending on the streamer this can be a very good advertising investment.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

They build a large fanbase by doing entertaining streams, and then diversify into forms of monetization that don't directly go through Twitch, such as selling merchandise or being paid directly by companies to read ads on stream.

Not everyone on Twitch is streaming videogames. Wikipedia says that Amouranth is known for her "dancing, ASMR, and hot tub streaming content", as well as cosplays and NSFW OnlyFans content. Not hard to see how someone might make a solid income from that.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

She is also specifically raising that money to fund her animal sanctuary. Also recently got out of an abusive relationship where her husband was forcing her to stream for extra money for his own usage.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
if the pussy beer makes someone happy, then god speed to em

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

tbh beer makes you happy eventually

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

If it actually has alcohol in it, it's a step up from that influencer selling their bathwater a while back

I hate that I remember these things

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Belle Delphine was always pretty gross, tbh, prior to being 18 she would sell other womens' stolen nudes pretending they were hers.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

That seems like it should be a crime, but good luck enforcing it I suppose :smith:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Also Leon do you have an rss feed just for horny or horny adjacent news articles? Seems like you've always got an ear to the ground for this stuff.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

if you want him to share you should probably have gone the DM route

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Professor Beetus posted:

Also Leon do you have an rss feed just for horny or horny adjacent news articles? Seems like you've always got an ear to the ground for this stuff.

Follow Pop Sugar, Weird News, and Jezebel on Twitter.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Not to ruin the joke but Canadian polling is notoriously inaccurate, especially this far out from the next election, doubly so with the guy (think french Jim Jordan) currently leading the Conservative party.

Polls last election, right up until election day, led us to believe Conservative minority with a high chance of majority then OOPS, Liberal minority.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
seems bad

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

TCBY was just bought out by a firm that primarily deals in commercial office space rental.

If this was the country's best yogurt, then it seems that FroYo is doomed in the U.S.

RIP to a legend.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Bring back canonical Werewolf Luigi Nintendo! Cowards!

https://twitter.com/foundfootage/status/1718786431819174396

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Bring back canonical Werewolf Luigi Nintendo! Cowards!

https://twitter.com/foundfootage/status/1718786431819174396

supposedly we're at the tail end of the golden era of television, but there's something to be said about the era in which tv was powered by whatever change and loose baggies of coke they could find in their seat cushions

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

It's been great posting with all of you, but I'm going to spend the remaining time we all have with my family.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

supposedly we're at the tail end of the golden era of television, but there's something to be said about the era in which tv was powered by whatever change and loose baggies of coke they could find in their seat cushions

I used to watch ALF as a kid - which was explicitly marketed as a family show, which had numerous jokes about eating pussy, had an episode where Alf develops a pseudo-sexual relationship with a blind woman via ham radio and feeds her a cake made of toothpaste, and ended with Alf being captured to be murdered and dissected.

80's kids TV was pretty wild.

It was 50% commercials disguised as TV shows thanks to new rules about advertising to kids and 50% just the wildest stuff because people were trying tog et eyeballs on the screen and cable didn't really have established standards yet.

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe + Peewee's Playhouse were also absolutely bonkers shows aimed at children.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 30, 2023

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Pretty sure ALF was a primetime show, not kids. It's why ALF would go on Hollywood Squares.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Like I don't recall really understanding what was going on in this scene although my mom is/was an Elton John fan so I kinda recognized the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ecakrMaxkY

The ALF prequel cartoon was for kids, though.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Zachack posted:

Pretty sure ALF was a primetime show, not kids. It's why ALF would go on Hollywood Squares.

It was a network family comedy. It was definitely aimed at kids and families. It used to come on right before Amazing Stories on NBC, which was also marketed as a big family thing.

I'm also 90% sure there was some kind of weird live-action Hanna Barbera show that had live-action versions of the cartoons, including a real monkey playing a cartoon monkey that made music videos once MTV got popular, but that also may have been a fever dream from 35 years ago.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

It was a network family comedy. It was definitely aimed at kids and families. It used to come on right before Amazing Stories on NBC, which was also marketed as a big family thing.

I'm also 90% sure there was some kind of weird live-action Hanna Barbera show that had live-action versions of the cartoons, including a real monkey playing a cartoon monkey that made music videos once MTV got popular, but that also may have been a fever dream from 35 years ago.

I'm more addressing you calling ALF "80's kids TV" - it was a family show yes, kids show no, so while there's an expectation of it being... tame, the intended audience is meant to include older viewers, similar to Cosby or Full House. Peewee's Playhouse is a much better example of a kids show with very bizarre undercurrents.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

and ended with Alf being captured to be murdered and dissected.

don't worry, i hear he's back, in pog form

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

don't worry, i hear he's back, in pog form

I had a huge shoebox full of pogs before they were called pogs. I think they were just called caps or something like that.

Sadly, they existed before Alf and I'm pretty sure I threw all of them away right before they rebranded as Pogs and became popular.

One of them was a 1970's Incredible Hulk slammer that was amazing in my memory, but I suspect probably sucked in real life and I don't want to see it again and shatter my illusion.