Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

exquisite tea posted:

The biggest problem with D4's loot is that it presents the illusion of complexity

Also skills. Also activities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

Verviticus posted:

i feel like a loot filter/auto-trash is the only thing stopping this season from being literally just 15 man afking at the vampire event to 100 and perfect gear (where you then grind nmds angrily until you're done)

theres something else wrong with the system when "we have too much loot, and the solution is to turn most of it into dust automatically with a filter". like those are obvious, positive QoL things that no good person could say no to, but it sorta reveals a flaw in the game deeper than that

i feel like d2 did a really good job about this and d3 tried to reproduce that and failed, and now its been "increase the loot hose" since then and it hasnt fixed anything

Really the loot criteria in this game is simple enough they could do something much better than last epochs (awful imho) filter system. Let me pick affixes that I would consider using, and filter items that don’t have at least 3 of those. Additionally let us pick up to 4 as mandatory. Boom every non weapon slot is solved.

Weapons are a little more tricky, but that’s because of the massive effect DPS rolls have combined with how the affixes being additive means they are worth a lot prior to having paragon points, but become very small as a characters paragon board gets filled out. Without busting out a spread sheet it is can be hard to tell if a 925 weapon with bad affixes would be better than a 910 with good ones.

bamhand posted:

Goons in this very thread saying bad and useless affixes is good game design because otherwise people would get good gear too quickly. Blizzard catering to those players since they complain the loudest.

Yeah the grind is the game. The baked in assumption here is every affix is equally probable, and rolls are evenly distributed in the possible range. If they are willing to drop both those things they could drastically reduce the number of affixes while keeping item power of drops about the same, but I don’t think they are interested in that approach.

The real problem is most of the affixes are either actually useless for a build, or one of several dozen ways of increasing damage in a linear way. Now that they’ve made all damage affixes linear they just aren’t worth fretting over beyond getting stuff in the second category — “Wow I got the affix that boosts fire damage now I do +513% damage with fire instead of the +510% I would have with +damage to far!!” said no one ever because you literally can’t feel the difference between the two.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
Yeah, it's simple loot sitting on top of simple systems - you can't really fix that doing the D3-style 'turn all the taps on, now add 1'.

In D2 there was quite a lot more going on in terms of interlocking systems, classes and skills than I suspect many people initially realise, and the loot reflected that. Yes, the twenty year old game is very much a solved problem in terms of what you should be doing from 0-100 and what kind of things you should use to minimize the RNG, but the fact remains that every single time something dropped, pretty much no matter where you are in the game, it could have been interesting for a variety of reasons and that made the act of - ugh! playing the game, you know, the thing you do before you decide you're over it - actually fun.

Yes, by the time you're into the 'end game' all of those things have resolved to a few pathways and you're chasing a thing but even then something has the ability to make you go 'nice!'. Very nearly every single loving thing you get in D4 is going to be thrown away (which doesn't matter, as save for the top 0.0001% nothing really has any concrete identity which is way more than what number is on it), and if you're levelling - I.E. wasting time on the duty treadmill waiting for that fun you're supposed to be having one day as some people think it is, pretty much everything is disposable and not interesting. So if you're not having fun playing the game from minute to minute, tough, that's really all there is to it. The rest is progress quest with extra steps. The strategic and decision-making part of the game feels like a carefully curated homogenous lump where you progress along fixed channels to fixed outcomes (with simple decisions gated by luck). Like an MMO, in fact. All the rest is fluff to conceal that extremely simple, safe and - dare I say it - engagement-driving loop. Or it would be if the intentions had been concealed a little better - gently caress, at least put lipstick on the pig.

Missing how it fits together in D2 leads to frankenpieces stuffed into it willy-nilly with no understanding of why they worked. No area is memorable since without aspects of challenge and level scaling everything is ultimately the same with a coat of paint. No runeword, legendary, spatula or dildo could ever be all that interesting because they're never going to patch an aspect of your character that can be covered by class co-operation and skill overlap, or illustrate an aspect of systems design thats anything other than 'you are now +0.5% more hurty. Everything may now take +0.2% more fisty. Shiny thing is +4.4% more droppy.'

I liked the moment to moment playing, but the second I'm invited on to the gray asphalt path leading to numberwang, I'm out with no regrets. This isn't that sort of game, and the people who put it together probably know that, which is why they're never - ever, ever - going to be able to make items all that interesting to me short of 'wow this is rare and it's going to make nightmare dungeon level
#101 feel like nightmare dungeon level #122, you'll see if it doesn't!'. It's just bigger numbers and 'power creep' all the way down, and isn't interesting to me. Power creep: the thing you get when it's one character on a single track, not a whole lot of them in an area where fun can occur in, solving challenges that are only distinguished by what skin is on them.

gently caress it, this is already over 3000 characters about a video game and it's getting rather hot outside for an October. D4 is fun right now for some kinds of characters for this moment or two and then will be over and done with again until the next shiny thing with compelling entergagement loops gets chucked into it. (Buy this helmet). Game's got good skin and a large bone. Gamers have had fun with worse.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
outside of just cutting down on the number of affixes, i feel like an easy way to add at least a little depth would be making the conditional modifiers roll a higher potential cap universally and maybe also always bias them to do so. some stuff like total armor % vs total armor % in werewolf form do this meaningfully. stuff like physical damage vs close damage or core damage should not all be within a few % max of one another

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Get rid of all. That poo poo just have a few affixes like damage armor life crit etc. Show the shallowness for what it is and make something good after you do

Conditional modifiers should be unique and cray like 500% damage to frozen dudes on frostburn or w.e

flashman fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Oct 27, 2023

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

harrygomm posted:

outside of just cutting down on the number of affixes, i feel like an easy way to add at least a little depth would be making the conditional modifiers roll a higher potential cap universally and maybe also always bias them to do so. some stuff like total armor % vs total armor % in werewolf form do this meaningfully. stuff like physical damage vs close damage or core damage should not all be within a few % max of one another

yeah i more or less agree with this. also bring back the priority enchanting system, man fully random completely sucks

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Running the same 8-10 dungeons over and over and having to choose between some really annoying (not difficult) affixes wears real thin after like 5 of them.

Oh you want to take a piss? Sorry, this red artichoke is chasing you around for all of eternity and will kill you if you stop for more than 3 seconds.
You have a new level skill point to use? Sorry, get in the dome or you’ll get 1-shot with lightning.

Like they aren’t difficult, some of them are just really loving annoying and having to constantly mulch NMD tokens with lovely affixes sucks.

Press t and go take a piss, dork

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Fr though the nightmare dungeon poo poo stinks

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

2 things - unlocked tier 3 and managed to still farm a bit of blood tides on airplane WiFi which I think says something about blood surge necro

2- are helltides even worth doing with blood tides rigjt there

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

2 things - unlocked tier 3 and managed to still farm a bit of blood tides on airplane WiFi which I think says something about blood surge necro

2- are helltides even worth doing with blood tides rigjt there

Of course, helltides are your only source of forgotten souls which are needed for upgrading and re-rolling items. You also can get living metal which is needed to spawn a boss that drops materials needed to spawn Duriel which is the only source of uber uniques.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

TjyvTompa posted:

Of course, helltides are your only source of forgotten souls which are needed for upgrading and re-rolling items. You also can get living metal which is needed to spawn a boss that drops materials needed to spawn Duriel which is the only source of uber uniques.

Did not know that! Thanks. Unfortunate cuz I find them a lot more boring

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Did not know that! Thanks. Unfortunate cuz I find them a lot more boring

You're not alone, friend. I like the concept but they need to be up full time and be a little more dense with mobs.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

victrix posted:

honestly I think the entire fountains of trash is a genre convention that needs to be tossed out the window, but baby steps
I'm only at about L40 on WT1, and I already think whites and blues should just drop their cash value instead. Whites are never useful after about level 10, blues after level 20.

It's not like D2 where a grey could still be useful if it had enough sockets to turn it into a unique with the cube.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Decided to try some blood surge Necro since its thematic this season. Seems like this has a lot of potential.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Suburban Dad posted:

You're not alone, friend. I like the concept but they need to be up full time and be a little more dense with mobs.

I do hope Helltides get buffed up a bit because the whole Duriel summoning situation seems to indicate that they're going to make it a requirement for anything they think should be time-gated. Or maybe they will finally purge all the MMO-brained thinking from the dev team and make Helltides always up too

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
As soon as I hit WT3 and they are like go do MMO stuff I just immediately start a new character as the post-50 game is awful.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
What?

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
I need forgotten souls to reroll affixes, I have to grind whispers to summon varshan, grind herbs to get potions and elixers, grind NMD for glyph exp.

That’s straight up WoW stuff.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Lord Packinham posted:

I need forgotten souls to reroll affixes, I have to grind whispers to summon varshan, grind herbs to get potions and elixers, grind NMD for glyph exp.

That’s straight up WoW stuff.

Whispers and herbs flow like wine just playing normally in the vampire zones and you can convert any herb into another type of herb.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same
does the Umbral aspect drop for rogues like, at all? I've put every single obol into rings and haven't seen one yet. feels bad.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Helltides need something like the Vampire Obelisk that drains more and more of your life as the event progresses. That event is frenetic and fun and the game needs more stuff like that. I dont even know if you can 'win' the event or you jsut get tougher enemies with better loot the longer you hold out. Its just so much fun watching my health rollercoaster as I gain life from getting kills but it starts dropping like a rock once you've been at it long enough.

Superterranean posted:

does the Umbral aspect drop for rogues like, at all? I've put every single obol into rings and haven't seen one yet. feels bad.
I'm level 71 now as a Barb and have put every Obol I have ever earned into Rings and have not gotten an Umbral yet.

edit:

TjyvTompa posted:

You also can get living metal which is needed to spawn a boss that drops materials needed to spawn Duriel which is the only source of uber uniques.
Is there somewhere that how this all works is written down? I have no idea what these new unique dungeons are or how they work.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 27, 2023

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I've had two umbrals, both min roll

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Superterranean posted:

2 on my rogue, level 88 I think and only buy rings with obols. I don't do a ton of events to be fair. The first was a 2 roll, the second a 4. I put that on my current ring and now I can never swap it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pulverize druid is so much smoother now that it's getting its damage from overpower instead of proccing Earthen Might

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Is Diablo 4 good now?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Jaytan posted:

Really the loot criteria in this game is simple enough they could do something much better than last epochs (awful imho) filter system. Let me pick affixes that I would consider using, and filter items that don’t have at least 3 of those. Additionally let us pick up to 4 as mandatory. Boom every non weapon slot is solved.

Weapons are a little more tricky, but that’s because of the massive effect DPS rolls have combined with how the affixes being additive means they are worth a lot prior to having paragon points, but become very small as a characters paragon board gets filled out. Without busting out a spread sheet it is can be hard to tell if a 925 weapon with bad affixes would be better than a 910 with good ones.

Yeah the grind is the game. The baked in assumption here is every affix is equally probable, and rolls are evenly distributed in the possible range. If they are willing to drop both those things they could drastically reduce the number of affixes while keeping item power of drops about the same, but I don’t think they are interested in that approach.

The real problem is most of the affixes are either actually useless for a build, or one of several dozen ways of increasing damage in a linear way. Now that they’ve made all damage affixes linear they just aren’t worth fretting over beyond getting stuff in the second category — “Wow I got the affix that boosts fire damage now I do +513% damage with fire instead of the +510% I would have with +damage to far!!” said no one ever because you literally can’t feel the difference between the two.

LE has just as many affixes as D4, maybe even more. But every single affix is good for at least one build, and all builds have different best in slot affixes. That plus the amazing crafting system just makes the gearing in that game sooo much better.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jaytan posted:

Let me pick affixes that I would consider using, and filter items that don’t have at least 3 of those. Additionally let us pick up to 4 as mandatory. Boom every non weapon slot is solved.

If we got this I would be very happy with the state of the game

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

smoobles posted:

Is Diablo 4 good now?

not yet. it's in beta testing but with the release on steam and the combined merger with microsoft, hopefully there will be enough data to get these "good bones" into shape sometime in 2024. after a lot more seasons and patches, the game will probably be in a good place (2025ish?) just in time for poe2 to come out and immediately put this entire franchise to shame.

afterwards, someone somewhere will come up with completely ~new~ and ~~aMaZiNg~~ mechanics for the expansion that will not be tested or well thought out so once that is released, the game will go back into an alpha state and we'll need to beta test the problems out over the next couple of years until another expac is released, with more broken, non-working, and non-tested stuff again. this will repeat until d5 comes out and the team at that time, never having learned any lessons or leveraged the of decades of experience / prior releases from other blizzard games, will undoubtedly try to create something again from scratch only for it to also be "released" as a live service where we'll likely be shelling out upwards of $100 then to beta test it and so on and so forth. hence, the neverending blizzard circle of game design.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Sounds right, TY

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I've been enjoying it but then again i dont have reddit gamer brain

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Is Season 2 at least feeling faster with all the buffs, like did they get rid of the leveling stall when you hit 30-50

Love a mindless clicky arpg but D4 at launch felt like treading water

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

smoobles posted:

Is Season 2 at least feeling faster with all the buffs, like did they get rid of the leveling stall when you hit 30-50

You can get to level 50 from level 1 in about 4 hours if you are a normie.

Some turbonerds have done it in an hour.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

smoobles posted:

30-50 in WT2 Blood Harvest zones is very fast especially if there are other players around. The vamp powers help you to ride out the lower per-level power gain during that time too

remeez
Jan 10, 2007

smoobles posted:

Is Diablo 4 good now?

If you already own the game it's definitely worth playing. If you need to buy I would wait for next season where we will get an actual endgame.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

smoobles posted:

Is Diablo 4 good now?

I like playing it about 8 hours per week.

And also it still needs work.

It’s okay!

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Summoner Necro seems pretty strong for me so far this season but gently caress me I cannot find a Ring of Mendeln to save my life.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

smoobles posted:

Is Diablo 4 good now?

It's a work in progress that's getting improvements all the while. I enjoy it a lot

It's got a free trial on PC this weekend so if you're feeling curious you should check it out

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
I would be more into d4 if they reduced the glyph xp requirements substantially. Or at least made glyph (and vampire power) levels account-wide. I can't really explain why, but my brain loves grinding for loot. But grinding for the glyph xp bar just doesn't release the happy chemicals.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Little Kielbasa posted:

I would be more into d4 if they reduced the glyph xp requirements substantially. Or at least made glyph (and vampire power) levels account-wide. I can't really explain why, but my brain loves grinding for loot. But grinding for the glyph xp bar just doesn't release the happy chemicals.

They just did this patch.

Still could probably use a little more downward, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's a work in progress that's getting improvements all the while. I enjoy it a lot

It's got a free trial on PC this weekend so if you're feeling curious you should check it out

I beat it and have a couple lvl ~70 characters! Loved the campaign but the slow endgame made me lose interest, so I've been very excited to read about the buffs.

I played necro in the open beta when corpse explosion could empty the screen in 5 seconds and loved it, so when Blizzard announced they were "fixing" that I knew what we were in for. Happy they are changing course.